Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
When I bought Command & Concquer it came in a big box.

No you don't get it it came in a big box. Like the size of a boardgames box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah when i got warcraft 2 it was in a big wide box. as thick as a regular software box of the time, but half again as wide. three games in one!!

apparently an unopened one of those is going for a thousand fuckin bucks on ebay. lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

When I bought Command & Concquer it came in a big box.

No you don't get it it came in a big box. Like the size of a boardgames box.

Those boxes really were absolutely loving enormous.

And I wouldn't have had it any other way

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Volmarias posted:

And I wouldn't have had it any other way

Yeah well how the gently caress was I supposed to fit it on my shelf?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush posted:

yeah when i got warcraft 2 it was in a big wide box. as thick as a regular software box of the time, but half again as wide. three games in one!!

apparently an unopened one of those is going for a thousand fuckin bucks on ebay. lol

why would you buy it and not open it? we're there a lot of 13 year olds "buying as an investment"?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Crazy Achmed posted:

yeah, but the dual cd format of c&c let both people play singleplayer as well as multi, which was extremely economical

in order to make up for this value somehow two years later they shipped Sole Survivor, which required a disc for each player and let you control a single unit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

why would you buy it and not open it? we're there a lot of 13 year olds "buying as an investment"?

thats probably why its worth something, unlike 100% of things like that bought for the investment. everybody opened it, except maybe some grandparents who bought it and forgot it and it shows up in an estate sale

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

got two for christmas and forgot to return the second.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, it's now 2024, lol if your idiot kids open all the rare lootboxes instead of building a portfolio

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

my neighbor had an unopened earthbound for the SNES.

he bought it when it was being firesaled at the end of the snes lifecycle so that Kmart or whoever could make room for the N64. it was so cheap he bought it on a whim (he would have been 14 or so at the time, so probably able to toss a little cash at a cheap game). then he promptly forgot about it in lieu of the new shiny N64, plus the fact that he wasn’t super interested in it to begin with.

that’s how he had a sealed earthbound. he sold it in the early aughts for muuuuuuuuuch less than he could get today, but getting $300 or whatever for a $30 game probably seemed great at the time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, it's now 2024, lol if your idiot kids open all the rare lootboxes instead of building a portfolio of lootbox opening videos

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

usually it's because someone bought it as a gift that never wound up being given, and sat forgotten in a closet for decades, or someone finds a box of new-old-stock that fell behind a shelf 30 years ago. in the late-00s, an entire shipping container of virtual boy hardware and games were found that had somehow just sat, lost and forgotten, for roughly 15 years

back then at least, now people buy 10 of everything to keep sealed away, especially if it's star wars or nintendo related, just in case it becomes valuable

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 22, 2024

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

The_Franz posted:

usually it's because someone bought it as a gift that never wound up being given, and sat forgotten in a closet for decades, or someone finds a box of new-old-stock that fell behind a shelf 30 years ago. in the late-00s, an entire shipping container of virtual boy hardware and games were found that had somehow just sat, lost and forgotten, for roughly 15 years

back then at least, now people buy 10 of everything to keep sealed away, especially if it's star wars or nintendo related, just in case it becomes valuable

Bet they thought they got a good deal on virtual boys going 65% off in bulk only to discover they're like $11 retail clearance. Then it sat there while they tried to figure out what to do about their mistake. poo poo was priced to avoid the cost of hauling it to the dump.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm just waiting for my collection of pogs to become valuable again.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
The video game bubble sucks rear end and there’s nothing coming that’s gonna make these guys lower their prices anytime soon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

emSparkly posted:

The video game bubble sucks rear end and there’s nothing coming that’s gonna make these guys lower their prices anytime soon.

i'm glad the xbox 360 and ps3 have become my current fascination and are both still dirt loving cheap because neither of them have a nintendo logo on them, though some retrogaming youtubers are trying to (seemingly unsuccessfully) push the ps3 price higher presumably because they bought a load of games expecting it to have spiked by now

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

njsykora posted:

i'm glad the xbox 360 and ps3 have become my current fascination and are both still dirt loving cheap because neither of them have a nintendo logo on them, though some retrogaming youtubers are trying to (seemingly unsuccessfully) push the ps3 price higher presumably because they bought a load of games expecting it to have spiked by now

weird to think that we're almost at the 20 year mark for those. they don't really feel "retro" to me in the same way that i don't find old xp machines to be retro though: they're just older, slower versions of what we have now, with nothing really interesting going for them

or maybe it's just because i wasn't a little kid when they were around and thus lack the childhood nostalgia factor

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Anyone who is currently making plans to get rich on PS3s is a loving moron. Shutting down support for the PS3 on PSN is an easy milestone event and nobody should even worry about establishing a stock until that happens because it'll drive prices into the ground.

Plus the games still look ok and a lot of people have them just sitting there to play the odd piece of optical media. Watching ebay trends or making guesses based on the lifecycle of previous consoles won't tell you anything.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The_Franz posted:

weird to think that we're almost at the 20 year mark for those. they don't really feel "retro" to me in the same way that i don't find old xp machines to be retro though: they're just older, slower versions of what we have now, with nothing really interesting going for them

or maybe it's just because i wasn't a little kid when they were around and thus lack the childhood nostalgia factor

there's a bunch of games on both that've never been brought forward (more on the ps3 than the 360), which is what i'm interested in, but i have had the feeling that they're never really going to be seen as "retro" just because they connect to the tv over HDMI like everything else. hell you can take the cables out of a ps5 and use them to connect a ps3. its just funny seeing panic video titles put out saying "PS3 and Xbox 360 Prices Are Spiking!" when i was in town buying an entire backpack worth of games for both for almost nothing a few days ago. that whole generation is hilarious to watch speculators scramble over because not even the wii is getting expensive, one store around me had a boxed wii for £20 last week.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

and here i'm just thinking that if you took the same money and did some normal savings with it you'd have a better outcome anyway for way less effort (not to mention the lovely gouging)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ps3’s are especially weird because the only ones that will command any higher amount of money are the hardware BC versions, and those are a small portion of the overall PS3 production run

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
wtf when i bought command & conquer ("gold edition", i don't remember what made it special) it only came in a regular box and one of those normal-sized 2 cd jewel cases where they flip out

i also remember doom 3 coming out on my birthday lol. i remember that being like 4 discs, i doubt they were dvds. iirc i upgraded to a radeon 9500 for it (maybe i went from 9500 -> 9800 pro, idk, that seems more likely. i also had a xt850 at some point :shrug:)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

ps3’s are especially weird because the only ones that will command any higher amount of money are the hardware BC versions, and those are a small portion of the overall PS3 production run

also hilariously unreliable because of the same issue early xbox 360's had where the gpu will just get so hot it'll decide to not be connected to the motherboard any more. still want one though.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the coolest one is the early one with ps2 support because they basically just built a ps2 into it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

the coolest one is the early one with ps2 support because they basically just built a ps2 into it

this is basically also what they did with the fat model ps2s as well, though the ps1 chip in those also pulled double duty as the i/o controller so it did serve another purpose

Mantle
May 15, 2004

njsykora posted:

also hilariously unreliable because of the same issue early xbox 360's had where the gpu will just get so hot it'll decide to not be connected to the motherboard any more. still want one though.

I have a CECHA PS3 that had the yellow light of death that I bought for $30. I think I sent it in to Sony for repair for around $200 around 2010 and it's been working great ever since.

I was close to just giving it away a few years ago but it's kind of turned the corner where I'm discovering new things about it, like apparently my ICO and Shadow of the Colossus has 3D TV support that only works on PS3 hardware.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mantle posted:

I have a CECHA PS3 that had the yellow light of death that I bought for $30. I think I sent it in to Sony for repair for around $200 around 2010 and it's been working great ever since.

I was close to just giving it away a few years ago but it's kind of turned the corner where I'm discovering new things about it, like apparently my ICO and Shadow of the Colossus has 3D TV support that only works on PS3 hardware.

there's actually a reason why it would be that reliable if you sent it in in 2010, after the ps3 slim came out if you sent a fat in for repair sony would've installed the more efficient gpu from the ps3 slim in it instead of replacing the horrible 90nm original gpu just because those would be the parts they had on hand. so they just removed the main failure point from your system. you can promote that fact if you ever sell it because some people specifically look for those repaired systems.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

njsykora posted:

there's actually a reason why it would be that reliable if you sent it in in 2010, after the ps3 slim came out if you sent a fat in for repair sony would've installed the more efficient gpu from the ps3 slim in it instead of replacing the horrible 90nm original gpu just because those would be the parts they had on hand. so they just removed the main failure point from your system. you can promote that fact if you ever sell it because some people specifically look for those repaired systems.

I just looked at the work order and it says the work was done in December 2009, and the PS3 slim was released Sept 2009 so that could be it. Is there a way to visually tell if I have the slim GPU or the fat GPU if I ever opened it up?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mantle posted:

I just looked at the work order and it says the work was done in December 2009, and the PS3 slim was released Sept 2009 so that could be it. Is there a way to visually tell if I have the slim GPU or the fat GPU if I ever opened it up?

look for the part number on the RSX's IHS. 65nm parts have model numbers CXD2991/2982 and 40nm ones are CXD5300/5301/5302. we found out this was a thing when someone a few years ago imported a japanese CECH-A and noticed it had a 40nm RSX in it despite still having sony warranty stickers on it

if you have around an hour and a half to spare, rip felix's video on the 360 and ps3's respective reliability issues is extremely good at explaining why they happened and going over all the bad "fixes" people have claimed work over time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qKtS_uxdcU

njsykora fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 23, 2024

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
You can hook a PS3 up with SCART or component, and play stuff on a CRT. In that way , the PS3 can use the same video cable as both the PS1 and the PS5.

Also, PS3 Media Server, later Universal Media Server was absolutely amazing and changed my life. It's one of those things that really just worked.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i have a couple ps3s but i havent set them up cause last i tried i didnt have a cable with the right ports to go from the ps3 to the lovely projector i have (no tv)

then i found a bunch of cables & dongles in an electronics dumpster but i coudlnt remember which ones i needed so i grabbed a bunch of different ones and i havent checked if they are even the right ones and its a huge chore now

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

elaborate cooling instructions involving shaving the top off your CPU and precisely spreading thermal paste with a razor back in the day when it theoretically might have helped but was more likely to destroy your CPU entirely

vs. now where you just blob the stuff in a pattern, clamp it the hell down and you're done

i saw a video once where they tried like mustard and weird poo poo like that and it made like 1 degree difference

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

evobatman posted:

Also, PS3 Media Server, later Universal Media Server was absolutely amazing and changed my life. It's one of those things that really just worked.

a ps3 will still happily recognise a modern plex server and just access all its stuff from the xmb, it’s actually still super nice to use since you don’t have to wait for a modern godforsaken plex app to load

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I was using a PS3 as my network media player all the way until 2021, when I finally got a PS4. Love the thing to bits, still use it at least once per week to play PS1 games

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

njsykora posted:

a ps3 will still happily recognise a modern plex server and just access all its stuff from the xmb, it’s actually still super nice to use since you don’t have to wait for a modern godforsaken plex app to load

this might actually be the solution I need. my wifi ap is in the basement and my bedroom is on the 2nd floor. plex app works everywhere but that room because it claims connection speed is too slow. but I can access directly via web browser on a laptop just fine in that room! ps5 doesn’t have a web browser, but my lg tv does! it will play the videos but on the page nothing renders except for the image of each title so I have to search manually. there’s no scrolling and it’s jank as gently caress.

yes I could run cable, but that’s lots of work. I tried a powerline adapter but the speeds were slower and I don’t want to mess with Wi-Fi extender because that might not work anyway. so the ps3 may find renewed life and recapture the heyday of 2009 home streaming

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
one workaround is to send a psn message with a link (which will open the ps5 browser) but trying it with the raw IP got my account flagged lmao. so I could make a dns entry in my pihole for some name like bing.com that would instead resolve to my local plex because whatever filtering they use doesn’t care about regular looking links

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

njsykora posted:

isn't that just DLNA? a lot of devices from that era will do something similar. even the 360

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

isn't that just DLNA? a lot of devices from that era will do something similar. even the 360

possibly, but it shows up as plex with the plex logo specifically. it's nice regardless.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

That era? That's my current setup with the VLC app on Chromecast with Google TV. It has DLNA client that connects to my DLNA server on my Synology NAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Mantle posted:

That era? That's my current setup with the VLC app on Chromecast with Google TV. It has DLNA client that connects to my DLNA server on my Synology NAS.

well, yes, around 2005ish was when it was first rolling out, so all sorts of stuff supported it (e.g. i had a directv box that could stream stuff over DLNA if you hooked it up to your network, my TV from around 2008 had a DLNA browser too). in comparison most newer devices barely support it at all, if they do to begin with, for some reason