Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

the vr video player deovr briefly removed DLNA functionality and they got screamed at by so many horny people that it was brought back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Beeftweeter posted:

. in comparison most newer devices barely support it at all, if they do to begin with, for some reason

DLNA is like RSS. It was hot, only a few turbo nerds used it, and now it's mildly in the way of making money. All of the use cases I know for it are all things I expect someone is going to want me to install an app over in 2024.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Internet Old One posted:

DLNA is like RSS. It was hot, only a few turbo nerds used it, and now it's mildly in the way of making money. All of the use cases I know for it are all things I expect someone is going to want me to install an app over in 2024.

ehh i get the analogy, but while RSS can still be found very rarely, DLNA is still in fairly active use in comparison. i even still use it sometimes because it's easy, as noted VLC supports it and therefore so does anything that runs VLC (which is a lot of poo poo, and if it's not natively supported most things that don't do support chromecast/miracast/airplay). the rest is dead on though, it's been disappearing because manufacturers want you to use their bespoke app (that probably nonetheless uses libav as VLC does). i was going to say DLNA is too free but i was eating lunch lol

e: back when i had a directv stb with DLNA support i set up mediatomb to stream all of my linux isos, for example (i also had to make a script to on-the-fly transcode h264 to mpeg-2, lol. i used ffmpeg of course). they definitely don't want you to do that today because streaming apps and don't-call-it-PPV "rentals" are there now

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 23, 2024

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i tried getting jellyfin to stream to a ps4 over dlna then said gently caress it and put kodi on a raspberry pi to be a frontend

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

njsykora posted:

possibly, but it shows up as plex with the plex logo specifically. it's nice regardless.

yeah, UPNP devices supply their own icons

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the acid test. and i remembered it because it had a moment of anachronistic relevance https://www.phoronix.com/news/Servo-Passing-Acid2

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
web slice gallery

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
the semantic web

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

digital blasphemy

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
active desktop and "channels"

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Zamujasa posted:

active desktop and "channels"

setting people's backgrounds to the "active desktop has stopped working" screen

taking a screenshot of someone's desktop with icons, setting that as their background, and removing all their icons

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
using the key combo to invert the screen on unlocked workstations

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
those HTPCs that had such bad interfaces you needed keyboards like this:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Edward_Tohr posted:

setting people's backgrounds to the "active desktop has stopped working" screen

taking a screenshot of someone's desktop with icons, setting that as their background, and removing all their icons

constantly had to fix this in the computer lab and library at my middle and high school lmao, poo poo was endemic. so was hiding mouse balls.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kitfox88 posted:

constantly had to fix this in the computer lab and library at my middle and high school lmao, poo poo was endemic. so was hiding mouse balls.

Funny tech poo poo I just remembered, mouse balls

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Hed posted:

remembering these things every time i painstakingly input a password with the arrow buttons on the roku interface

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a little computer set up with a monitor above my main tv for the fake weather channel thing and my grafanas. use this when i need to type on it

30 bucks, takes AAs, if you only turn it on when you need it they last like two years

its at least vaguely full sized

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

my favourite line about the K400 was you use it for 10 years until it breaks and then you buy another one, if logitech ever discontinue it the using computer in bed market is going to be devastated

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i have an old mini pc under my tv for playing social games like you don't know jack where you use your phone to play. i have one of those keyboards for setting up the games.

also sometimes i will plug it into my shield to configure something. still pretty handy, op

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

njsykora posted:

my favourite line about the K400 was you use it for 10 years until it breaks and then you buy another one, if logitech ever discontinue it the using computer in bed market is going to be devastated

was this the solar one? i had some solar one with the mac layout, so it was some Kx50, i don't remember what the first digit was though. anyway that thing owned hard and basically never died so long as i opened the blinds from time to time

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Hed posted:

i have one of these on my desk! my brother snagged it from an office selling spare equipment cheap and now it sits here, waiting to be paired to something

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sometimes I use the laser pointer on it to point at things mindlessly, a task previous handled by my cheap infrared thermometer

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i have a little computer set up with a monitor above my main tv for the fake weather channel thing and my grafanas. use this when i need to type on it

30 bucks, takes AAs, if you only turn it on when you need it they last like two years

i struggle to imagine there's a single person posting in yospos who wouldn't do well to have one of these tucked away. cheap zero effort flexibility for all kinds of stuff.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jonny 290 posted:

you only turn it on when you need it they last like two years

*Deep sigh* same

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that keyboard with no offset between rows is insanely cursed

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

that keyboard with no offset between rows is insanely cursed

IT'S CALLED ORTHOLINEAR, DAD

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 29, 2024

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
And it's still cursed

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Hed posted:

I bought one of these exact mini-keyvoards for setting up a CNC router that has to be hooked up to a laptop. Use it so I can really get in there when moving the bit around instead of doing a bad lean to use the laptop keyboard. Costs less than $20.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

poo poo might as well be in alphabetical order

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i struggle to imagine there's a single person posting in yospos who wouldn't do well to have one of these tucked away. cheap zero effort flexibility for all kinds of stuff.

I have that exact keyboard

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

needing shift for half the cursor keys is unforgivable, and commodore carried on doing it for another decade

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

i like the li'l pre-paired USB hid dongle tucked away in the storage slot on the top

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i've had that exact keyboard for far longer than i've been posting on yospos. coincidence??

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have two of them and they are both indispensable.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

3D Megadoodoo posted:

a personal electric tractor huh

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

i like the li'l pre-paired USB hid dongle tucked away in the storage slot on the top

do they still make these? i remember seeing them for like $70 back when htpcs were in vogue but that was practically back when ibm made thinkpads lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

i think at this point lenovo's used the thinkpad name longer than ibm did

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

do they still make these? i remember seeing them for like $70 back when htpcs were in vogue but that was practically back when ibm made thinkpads lol

they have made several different models of these, dunno if they're still manufacturing them but the "ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard II" is apparently still available?

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/accessories-and-software/keyboards-and-mice/keyboards/4y40x49493

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

they have made several different models of these, dunno if they're still manufacturing them but the "ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard II" is apparently still available?

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/accessories-and-software/keyboards-and-mice/keyboards/4y40x49493

oh man it's only $5 cheaper :argh:

e: actually having looked at the page instead of the price that does seem pretty nice. hmm lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

050124_3
May 1, 2024
the day's events when history became obstructed, january 1st 2015