Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Ashcans posted:

Black Bolt gains an additional power in the power phase, he can bodyguard, and Whisper went to 10 dice(!) I didn't think he was bad at all but he's going to be a monster you can't ignore now.

He also gained a health on his front side and a die on his builder (but lost +2 dice for +2 power).

He was a really bad 5 but was able to make himself and his team functional with his leadership (which is bonkers) but it was janky and often just not good enough. Though I will say the degree of glow-up he got makes me think Inhumans must have a fan on the development team. I don't think he's broken, but I think they could've given him half the buffs and spent half as much time on him and ended up with a perfectly playable Inhumans affiliation.

I'm glad they did it though. Inhumans have a sweet affiliation list full of models that are not quite good enough to get splashed but are great with his leadership. I think you can build a lot of sweet lists around the BB/Medusa/Beast/Ms Marvel/Crystal core.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I like most of the changes and it's good that everyone seems excited about mcp again

but tell us what you don't like

admanb fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

admanb posted:

Carnage got nothing to help him and with the buffs to OGDD he's arguably now the worst 4 in the game

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

i mean, if we want to make a list of characters that could've-but-didn't get changes we could be here all day. They can't and shouldn't change everything at once, and unlike the first time they did a character revamp when they said "this is the only revamp we've planned" they very much made it sound like regular revamps are planned.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

admanb posted:

i mean, if we want to make a list of characters that could've-but-didn't get changes we could be here all day. They can't and shouldn't change everything at once, and unlike the first time they did a character revamp when they said "this is the only revamp we've planned" they very much made it sound like regular revamps are planned.
The only change I'm legit mad about is that Researcher exists and/or is still an extract.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

admanb posted:

Blade's changes are a nothing:burger:

I personally think steals shouldn't be an action and should just cost more power. this applies retroactively to Enchantress too

gem unrestriction is going is cause Thanos to show up more not less and remind everyone why they hated him so much before Mal showed up

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

gem unrestriction is going is cause Thanos to show up more not less and remind everyone why they hated him so much before Mal showed up
Why spend 8 threat on Thanos when you can create an even bigger NPE for your opponent at 6 threat with CGR?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

Why spend 8 threat on Thanos when you can create an even bigger NPE for your opponent at 6 threat with CGR?

sometimes you want to spice up the bedroom and change things up a bit

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

gluing Psylocke’s train is my hell

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

^burtle posted:

:confused:

wait like the ribbon going around her?

I switched to plastic cement with these minis and holy poo poo does it make a difference with assembly. being able to shift models around a few minutes after pushing two pieces together is a god send.

sometimes you don't quite see that two pieces need to align a certain way for a third piece to fit in

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

^burtle posted:

Man she's not even the worst miniature in that box, White Queen's spindly cape made me almost have an aneurysm lol. The sculpts are mostly very much improved but now and again there is an infuriating design choice.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

i have breaking news that whoever designed Pyro’s flame hates me specifically

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a small but neat detail I've noticed about the new core box set is how I've been seeing a lot of Captain Marvel models on videos with a totally different head option, has the long flowing hair look. Turns out a few miniatures have some alt head options---Winter Soldier also has two options but didn't get a good look at the 2nd one.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Got the new core box and figured I'd post a small trip report on the models therein. One thing I'll say across the board is that comparing the OG box to the new one---the sculpts have so much more raised detail, just awesome quality on them all and a far more streamlined set of sprues for characters. Someone online said "this is comparable to 40k sprues in terms of layout and the increased detail" and I'd say that's not a bad assessment. Painting them will def be easier too.

If you struggled with poo poo like all of Ultron and Iron Man's bullshit armor pieces, fear not---they are 100% easier to put together and don't have anything like that anymore. No tiny pouches or stupid bits aside from maybe 2 pistols you attach to pants for Crossbones or Zemo. In fact, most of the character are very simple "assemble the chest in two parts, and then put on the 4 limbs plus the head." Absolutely the easiest box of models in the game. There are a few weird parts like Iron Man, Cap Marvel, Ultron all pivoting off a thinner energy beam or jet blast but they feel pretty sturdy. I enjoy that Red Skull and Bucky both have "tactical suitcases" to stand on. I dread moving Ultron around though with his huge-rear end cape billowing out. In terms of sub-assembly I'd suggest doing so with America and Crossbones; the former for his shield arm, and the latter because his gun-on-a-sling may impede some of your painting.

Cap Marvel and Winter Soldier both have head options; you can go short or flowing long hair for Carol, ski mask or domino mask for Winter Soldier. Bonkers to compare the old version of Bucky to his big beautiful new one. Those are the only build options offered but still kind of nice to have.

Doc Ock no longer has tentacles that you build from like 12 loving pieces; they're also way easier to see where each go on his back. Just a way better build experience overall.

The Ultron Drone piece that is comprised of 5 drones on a base was probably the hardest one to do, just from how weird they come together, but if you ever did the Hand Ninjas then this will seem familiar. Funny enough, the Black Widow one felt like it would be complex but was simple to assemble.

Only one I can't comment on is Spider-Man, who I'm kitbashing a bit, possibly without the Venom symbiote. I will say the OG Spidey still holds up well and I miss when his miniature looked bigger--the 3 others in MCP all feel like they're a bit skinny/smaller than I'd want. The new Ben Reilly mini coming out is the kind of scale I wanted but ah well.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Moved in with my gf back in January, and we've only now gotten around to really starting to dig into her stockpile of unopened tabletop stuff. Was happily surprised to see the Crisis Protocol core box was in there, even if there's a newer one now. She had a few other lil unopened kits (cap/war machine, miles/gwen) and we picked up some more (immortal hulk, venom, agent venom/spiderwoman, squirrel girl/gwenpool, kraven/lizard). And then realized that affiliations are an important thing and our random pickups might not have made a ton of sense from that angle.

Currently putting that big pile of minis together so we can paint them, which will be fun. I haven't painted minis before and Marvel stuff seems like a fun place to start.

I think I'm gonna try and focus in on Spidey and his enemies, and she's wanting to do Avengers and maybe Asgard or X-Men, which gives us a liiiittle more focus.

Once we're through the current stuff we've got, i think the new core set is probably our big must-have. Yall have recommendations on what to pick up for the affiliations that me and her are interested in to get after that though?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Sea Lily posted:

Moved in with my gf back in January, and we've only now gotten around to really starting to dig into her stockpile of unopened tabletop stuff. Was happily surprised to see the Crisis Protocol core box was in there, even if there's a newer one now. She had a few other lil unopened kits (cap/war machine, miles/gwen) and we picked up some more (immortal hulk, venom, agent venom/spiderwoman, squirrel girl/gwenpool, kraven/lizard). And then realized that affiliations are an important thing and our random pickups might not have made a ton of sense from that angle.

Currently putting that big pile of minis together so we can paint them, which will be fun. I haven't painted minis before and Marvel stuff seems like a fun place to start.

I think I'm gonna try and focus in on Spidey and his enemies, and she's wanting to do Avengers and maybe Asgard or X-Men, which gives us a liiiittle more focus.

Once we're through the current stuff we've got, i think the new core set is probably our big must-have. Yall have recommendations on what to pick up for the affiliations that me and her are interested in to get after that though?

Just throwing out random thoughts here. Feel free to follow up with more questions

The new core is a good pick up, as you guessed. The new models will fill out your Avengers, give you a leader for Foes, and upgrade your Webs. Also two cores gives you a full table of terrain, plus enough tools and dice for two players.

For Avengers Hulk is just generally very good. Works in a lot of other factions as well. Luke Cake/Iron Fist mostly for Luke, as he's one of the workhorses of Avengers with the card "Heroes for Hire."

For Asgard and X-Men just grabbing the affiliation packs is a great starting point. The best model in Asgard outside of that is Beta Ray Bill (a rockstar across the game) but without Skurge/Heimdall it's a very top-heavy list.

X-Men are tricky to expand from the base box because they have a lot of good models scattered about. Domino/Cable are both very good*, Colossus is great** but Magik is kind of niche. Rogue is one of the best models in X-Men, but Gambit is bad. Just pick your favs imo.

*this is a weird sentence to type because Cable was trash until a month and a half ago
**even weirder!

For Webs you've already got a good starting point. The ASM/Black Cat gives you a second leadership and another core piece. Beyond that you're looking at boxes where you'll only want one of the two models -- Daredevil, Moon Knight, and Wong.

For Foes the only super obvious pick up is Rhino. You'll probably want Goblin, though the new Ock in the new core is arguably the better leader.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I learned a valuable lesson playing with a Weapon X squad. If they have Enchantress you just lose. Holy hell, at no point did I feel like I could even touch her and the terrible mental defenses just let her run roughshod over everyone.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

been taking a while to get the time to paint these guys, since ive never done any mini painting before

did iron man first, then spidey. tried to go for an Amazing Fantasy 15 sort of colorscheme for him- darker, more muted. figured it'll give a fun contrast to Amazing Spidey when I pick him up later and do the more typical colors.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Interesting post on Longshanks about the Timeline format for big events. Major takeaway: you can't promote list diversity by both forcing 30-character, 18-crisis megarosters and limiting the character/TTC pool - players will always gravitate to the best minis, and in a restricted pool, will likely come up with the same lists.

I agree, but also who cares because this affects only the tiniest percent of high-level players. It's like PT Top 8s doing Winchester draft, a format that absolutely nobody anywhere actually plays but was used at top tables after the cut in MtG. The only thing this hurts is netdeckers who bounce from list to list (which I myself am certainly guilty of) because the highest-level events won't be using the same format all local events and casual play use.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Shrecknet posted:

Interesting post on Longshanks about the Timeline format for big events. Major takeaway: you can't promote list diversity by both forcing 30-character, 18-crisis megarosters and limiting the character/TTC pool - players will always gravitate to the best minis, and in a restricted pool, will likely come up with the same lists.

I agree, but also who cares because this affects only the tiniest percent of high-level players. It's like PT Top 8s doing Winchester draft, a format that absolutely nobody anywhere actually plays but was used at top tables after the cut in MtG. The only thing this hurts is netdeckers who bounce from list to list (which I myself am certainly guilty of) because the highest-level events won't be using the same format all local events and casual play use.

This might be an optimistic view of gamers but I would hope no one believed that Timelines would have higher list diversity than Standard.

I'm generally in favor of alternate formats and I know some people are happy just to play something that isn't ruled by CGR/Thanos/Hulk, but no chance it was gonna be magical Christmasland of balance just because the boogeymen were gone.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

admanb posted:

This might be an optimistic view of gamers but I would hope no one believed that Timelines would have higher list diversity than Standard.

I'm generally in favor of alternate formats and I know some people are happy just to play something that isn't ruled by CGR/Thanos/Hulk, but no chance it was gonna be magical Christmasland of balance just because the boogeymen were gone.

yeah this is just a different format. I think there's some potential with the path they've chosen but it kinda depends on how often things are rotated and if the format stays as is

honestly I think they're kinda preemptively solving a problem from WM/H; which was model bloat. we already have over 100 unique models and it doesn't seem like they're going to stop anytime soon. eventually you're going yo have duplicate models that fulfill the same role. people will naturally rank them and bingo bango bongo we are back at tier lists

so if you take the previous statement and think about timeline as a limited format that is easier for people to break into the game. then this all kinda makes sense. like it's not fun when you're first trying to get into a game and you're drinking from the firehose

my personal gripe is that I think it should just be a list of characters and tactics cards. none of this triple letter at nonsense but I'm willing to try it out either way

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

yeah this is just a different format. I think there's some potential with the path they've chosen but it kinda depends on how often things are rotated and if the format stays as is

honestly I think they're kinda preemptively solving a problem from WM/H; which was model bloat. we already have over 100 unique models and it doesn't seem like they're going to stop anytime soon. eventually you're going yo have duplicate models that fulfill the same role. people will naturally rank them and bingo bango bongo we are back at tier lists

so if you take the previous statement and think about timeline as a limited format that is easier for people to break into the game. then this all kinda makes sense. like it's not fun when you're first trying to get into a game and you're drinking from the firehose

my personal gripe is that I think it should just be a list of characters and tactics cards. none of this triple letter at nonsense but I'm willing to try it out either way

yeah that's the part that I think is contradictory. Timeline could be an easy format for beginners to break into while they expand their collection out to "Standard", but making it a 30 model format just kills that.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

except they've explicitly stated Timeline is specifically and only for major multi-day tournaments at cons, not for your local store's casual play.

I don't think model bloat is a problem in this game, really, since if you like GotG there's only a few boxes you need to be competitive; just buy the Guardians basically. Same for basically every faction.

eta: The correct thing to do is have not just more balanced models, but fewer (and bigger) factions with better in-faction cards, to encourage less splashing and homogenity.

Why are Weapon X and X-Force each their own factions? Convo and Midnight Suns? It makes no sense, they have 80%+ overlap.

Give us less factions, more leaderships to pull particular faction lists in particular directions, and you're golden. Brotherhood is the perfect example of this, down to in-faction cards that work only on in-faction models

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 5, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

except they've explicitly stated Timeline is specifically and only for major multi-day tournaments at cons, not for your local store's casual play.

I don't think model bloat is a problem in this game, really, since if you like GotG there's only a few boxes you need to be competitive; just buy the Guardians basically. Same for basically every faction.

eta: The correct thing to do is have not just more balanced models, but fewer (and bigger) factions with better in-faction cards, to encourage less splashing and homogenity.

Why are Weapon X and X-Force each their own factions? Convo and Midnight Suns? It makes no sense, they have 80%+ overlap.

Give us less factions, more leaderships to pull particular faction lists in particular directions, and you're golden. Brotherhood is the perfect example of this, down to in-faction cards that work only on in-faction models

oh I 100% agree but there's potential here. this does feel like someone took old IG format and did a refresh

as for bloat I mean something that'll be a problem in like the 3-5 year timeline. maybe they'll slow the release schedule down but who knows

I also think some factions need to be rethought. like wtf is going on with sentinels and winter guard. they feel so anemic to almost be an intentional troll

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have nothing to add to high level smart guy talk about games. But I organized a charity MCP event here, and we raised $1,406 for our local chapter of Habitat for Humanity. :getin:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dr. Doom when?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

they would've released Doom ages ago but once they realized they'd be obligated to release the Fantastic Four alongside them they went "nah gently caress that."

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I also think some factions need to be rethought. like wtf is going on with sentinels and winter guard. they feel so anemic to almost be an intentional troll
They've said their intention was never to have every faction be balanced in terms of size or leaders, but the fact that Avengers/Cabal/CrimSyn each have more leaders than other factions have models is pretty bad, yeah. Like I said, certain factions need more love and could get it by combining them with existing, related factions. This would require a massive rework of all TTCs, but that's a problem for another day.

My 2 wishes if I were to redesign the game from the ground up:
  • simplify the wording on who exactly can use TTCs - the divide between Iron Man, Tony Stark, Iron Man, Golden Avenger and Hulkbuster is not so much that it would break something to give all of them access to the Captain America Shield Reflection card.
  • Tag System (so Hulk, She-Hulk, Leader, IHulk could all have "Gamma Irradiated" or X-Men/BHood with the "Mutants" tag obviously) and then key TTCs off that. They sort-of did this with X-Ceptional Healing, but it should be a lot simpler and would give them more design space, not less, to print a card that says "Choose two 'Gamma-Irradiated Characters within 2 of a size 5 terrain and throw it M" rather than gatekeep by exactly Hulk and She-Hulk with Agents of SMASH like they do now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Fyrbrand posted:

I have nothing to add to high level smart guy talk about games. But I organized a charity MCP event here, and we raised $1,406 for our local chapter of Habitat for Humanity. :getin:

This is really cool, awesome job!

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
good job hoss

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hopefully this isn't frowned upon; I bought the new core box but don't want all the heroes, so I'm selling some off: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053424 Maybe you were hankering for some of these without wanting to spring for the whole set!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Big Adepticon reveals today:

- Stat cards for Sandman, Vulture, Ben Reilly, Shang Chi were shown, I'm sure they'll be up on Reddit soon

- some new Mutants for later this year/ Q1 2025: Weapon X (Wolverine in his escaped lab attire), Maverick, Warlock, and Sunspot for Q3.

- APOCALYPSE. Is huge, has a lot of terrain including his temple. Can apparently make any 4 characters his Horseman---including the newly shown Angel/Archangel pack. No word on if it's a transforming thing or separate entities. Later this fall.

- UNIVERSAL MONSTERS. Dracula, Werewolf By Night, Living Mummy, and Frankenstein's Monster all revealed alongside a sick as gently caress Castlevania-esque piece of terrain for Drac's tomb. Halloween 2024.

- Mephisto coming at some point later this year, also a big boy, no further rulesets revealed.

- No models shown of these four, but we got confirmation art of Nova, Yondu, Elsa Bloodstone, and Man-Thing. Slowly building up the Dark Hunter/Midnite Sons affiliation.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Was there a stream? I can't find anything.

E: also coincidentally finished the last of my CP figs, including my first affiliation:

Also, is this the Shatterpoint thread? I played two games this month. Not really my jam, but if anyone has questions, let 'er rip.

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 25, 2024

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

As Web Warriors player I am looking forward to seeing Gwenom's card. Ben Reilly is interesting, he's basically a mix of existing spider powers in slightly different shades; he has the spender from Amazing at a higher cost, Gwens/Spider-Man's Impact Webbing, and Spectacular's Strike with shorter range but better power gain. I think his superpower Web Whip(?) is the most unique from Web Line. I think that we're running into the limit of how many different ways you can restate fundamentally similar characters. He does look like a reasonable exchange for Spider-Man at 4 threat.

I did not expect Dracula, so AMG continues to impress with their ability to pull out really random editions to the game.

smug jeebus posted:

Also, is this the Shatterpoint thread? I played two games this month. Not really my jam, but if anyone has questions, let 'er rip.
Shatterpoint is occasionally mentioned in the Fantasy Flight & Star Wars thread, but nothing really substantive. I've been playing it for about six months I think, if anyone wants to talk about it. It's a fun game and has a lot of positive mechanic choices, but I was never as into the SW universe as Marvel so lots of the releases don't mean anything to me. I overall prefer Marvel Crisis Protocol, but I play Shatterpoint regularly and when I can't get a MCP game in.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
guy in my store played the Mojo Ball op kit and said it was like MCP blood bowl. lfg

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edit: Nevermind, wrong thing.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Had some 40k friends finally get interested in another game, so I got to play my first MCP with one of them tonight. Brotherhood (me) vs Xmen, 17 points. We just picked our favorite groups for the first match, didn't look up lists.

Professor X, Jean Grey, Cyclops, and Wolverine vs Magneto, Toad, Blob, Quicksilver, Pyro. Came down to the last turn and Blob vs Professor X but I pulled off the win by points. It took 4 hours but we both had a great time. The game felt very thematic with how it plays out and the combos that happen. Definitely will be playing a lot more.

I think I made a mistake by moving Magneto up into the middle early, but he did a ton of damage with Reverse polarity. Enough to take down Wolverine. And then got off a huge magnetic crush the next turn before dying.

goodness fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 7, 2024

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
A buddy of mine sold me the core set, Hulk, and some terrain (NYC pack plus Sanctum Sanctorum) for $140 which seemed like too good of a deal to pass up, even if I haven't played MCP before.

Is there enough in there to put together a decent list and take it to my FLGS some night? Or is it like 40k starter sets where you only sort of get half of a playable army and have to fill in the rest yourself?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

nah core set Avengers + Hulk with OG Zemo from core set is more than enough to win games. Make sure you get all the updated cards, though - almost everyone from. that Era has a (free on AMGs site) updated card to make them a LOT better

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That is definitely a good deal, Hulk is a very competitive piece and is $40 MSRP, the Sanctorum is a cool piece and is $80, and the NY terrain pack is $40. With core on top of that you have a lot of value.

The Core set characters are fine, being able to add in Hulk covers a lot of the challenges you might have with the core 10 alone. They are definitely good enough for some starter games, you'll probably want to add/change as you learn the game, or if you want to try affiliations not covered by the Core (which is pretty much Avengers/Cabal only).

In addition to the updated character cards, the AMG website also has revised/improved Crisis cards to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah a solid all-rounder 17 list would be (*)Captain America, Captain Marvel, Hulk, Zemo.

Gives you a long-mover who hands out rerolls in Zemo, two good throws on Bruce and Carol for displacement, good discount from Cap on all their powers (especially Binary Form!) The only risk is on 5 or 6 extract missions, but you can minimize that somewhat by picking up a few 2- or 3-threat Avengers (hot tip: loving everyone is an Avenger. Deadpool's an Avenger. Cable's an Avenger. Fuckin' Dracula will be on the Avengers when he comes out in 5 months.)