Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

MCPeePants posted:

I would love to hear more. I've been casually observing this game, and some of the minis are absolutely good enough to own and paint, but I know almost nothing about how it plays.

not the OP but I would play this in a heartbeat if it used a grid based system.

I have learned through more than one attempt (40K, necromunda, war machine) that if the game involves measuring distances with rulers or tape measures I'm out.

edit: also I am the world's worst painter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
It could just be the local players, but it seems wildly imbalanced when I’ve played. I’d gladly try it again if it wasn’t for my local group.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Beerdeer posted:

It could just be the local players, but it seems wildly imbalanced when I’ve played. I’d gladly try it again if it wasn’t for my local group.

That's unfortunate. There is some model imbalance as MCP has aged but it's largely mitigated by the way rosters and crises are chosen at the start of a game. While AMG has stated that they will never develop official competitive game events, MCP has attracted a lot of ex-WMH and Guild Ball hardcore competitive players. You have my sympathy if your local community is dominated by try-hards.

When I soon start playing again (ugh, has it really been 18 months) I'm just running thematic teams. gently caress the tier lists.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I feel like any dice system that's based on manipulating results and re-rolls can feel like games are much bigger blowouts than they actually are, from a mechanics perspective. But it also means a lot of snowballing success/failures can happen, like in X-Wing. The alternating activations and big emphasis on being able to customize your own objectives/etc do a lot to mitigate that though.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Balance is pretty good in MCP with only a small number of models skewing things. The movement system is way less fiddly than tape measurement and more flexible than hexes.

Game's good enough to be played competitively by most of the people I know who got heavily into the guild ball tournament scene. It's a little more dicey, but still an excellent minis game.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Man, I bought this not long after it came out, painted Spider-Man, didn't really like the rules much and then traded it off for some Chaos Space Marines. I ended up selling off my Team Yankee stuff today and rolled that over into a coreset+some extra dudes based solely on looking at the pics in this thread.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

KingMob posted:

That's unfortunate. There is some model imbalance as MCP has aged but it's largely mitigated by the way rosters and crises are chosen at the start of a game. While AMG has stated that they will never develop official competitive game events, MCP has attracted a lot of ex-WMH and Guild Ball hardcore competitive players. You have my sympathy if your local community is dominated by try-hards.

When I soon start playing again (ugh, has it really been 18 months) I'm just running thematic teams. gently caress the tier lists.

a cool thing that the devs have seemed willing to do is come out with new versions of characters i.e. Spider Man and Amazing Spider-Man to boost older characters releases while offering the opportunity to still use the old ones for less points. I don't think it's totally imbalanced though some characters are def very strong and a few others (Crossbones, Doc Ock maybe) offer very little. A lot of it comes from the core set and early characters since most of the newer ones are not only a bit stronger and have more thematic poo poo (arch enemies, Kraven's loving abilities, etc etc) but the quality of the miniatures themselves have increased extraordinarily. So, it's a young game, but AMG's willingness to improve and keep adding good stuff + potentially update older characters are all good signs.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Finished Iron Fist, duders:

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Fyrbrand posted:

Finished Iron Fist, duders:

Very nice! Flaming dragon fist is good practice for...

Dormammu looks loving huge! At least a head taller than MODOK based on the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1iVuaOkgl0

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I've been watching some mini painting videos to try and get back in the spirit of painting things in general. Though I'm not a big fan of most of the Marvel movies (I've been suffering from "CGI blockbuster fatigue" for a while now), I was a huge comic book fan in my younger days. And due to some of the videos I watched, I've suddenly got a hankering to paint up Captain America and his pals, so I'll probably be picking the core set up at some point here. Glad to read ITT that it's also a fairly casual game that plays pretty well. :)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

KingMob posted:

Very nice! Flaming dragon fist is good practice for...

Dormammu looks loving huge! At least a head taller than MODOK based on the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1iVuaOkgl0

jesus CHRIST. The quality of that new Strange.....wow.

Also lol that Juggernaut has been confirmed for eons, yet there have been like 20 other new figures announced and shown before him. Wonder where the hell he is.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 13, 2021

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

jesus CHRIST. The quality of that new Strange.....wow.

Also lol that Juggernaut has been confirmed for eons, yet there have been like 20 other new figures announced and shown before him. Wonder where the hell he is.

He's on the same boat the new ASM and Mysterio boxes have been stuck on for months now, I assume.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Working away on the backlog before the August release bomb hits:

Kraven turned out more happy than I wanted, but he's very endearing this way.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

goddamn how did you get those guys already, it still says they are in "preorder" mode everywhere I look :(

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DLC Inc posted:

goddamn how did you get those guys already, it still says they are in "preorder" mode everywhere I look :(

They've been out in Europe for a bit, but not hitting anyone else yet. I think the US has the Omega Red & Jean Grey/Cassandra Nova boxes when nobody else does, but I'm not sure.

One of the podcasts I listen to was fairly recently talking about how Australia hasn't had a release in months and is still waiting on the Inhumans.

Distribution is all messed up!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

They've been out in Europe for a bit, but not hitting anyone else yet. I think the US has the Omega Red & Jean Grey/Cassandra Nova boxes when nobody else does, but I'm not sure.

One of the podcasts I listen to was fairly recently talking about how Australia hasn't had a release in months and is still waiting on the Inhumans.

Distribution is all messed up!

I figured something was weird when we got Cassandra so quickly. I have Omega Red right now and hadn't seen him show up elsewhere either. Just seems crazy they're announcing so much in the next few weeks but there's been a huge backlog.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

DLC Inc posted:

Canada got them early. However, Jean Grey / Nova and Omega Red were delayed here until late August. If the mystic releases all come out in August as well... ugh, that's a heavy month.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Hosted a games day for our group after far too long apart. Game remains fun!

Cabal under Sin vs. Brotherhood under Magneto. The non-mutant baddies carried the day due to hot, hot dice.

Sin's leadership played virtually no part in the game, but at least she got to fire the plasma gun...

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Just picked up the Core box and have been building everything. Is there a recommended game mat to look for aside from the AMG ones? We’ll probably stick to urban settings for our games so I’m guessing we’ll only really need one mat.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm really not in a IRL state where I could/should start acquiring things, but as a recovering wargamer clean for over 15 years one of my best mates just snuck into my AA meeting to spike the punch by telling me about this game and... I'm wavering. I'm wavering so hard. This looks so much fun, and I desperately want to paint these figures, build some terrain from scraps, and play this game. Watched a ton of videos about it all day yesterday while telling myself sadly that I really can't get into this right now.

That core box set is such good value, and so completely self-contained. Trying to stop myself from taking that first discounted hit by reminding myself how reassuringly expensive it would be to get even a basic bunch of paints and brushes together.

Please continue to post your photos in this thread so I can live vicariously through you.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

guys on ebay in NY have snuck some of the new stuff here and I'm stoked as gently caress to get the Kraven/Lizard box today. Hopefully the Mysterio/Carnage one starts becoming more common to find online this month!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey friendos, painted the apartment building for the many games of MCP I am playing right now. :negative:

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Very nice. If I didn't already have a bunch of TTCombat buildings I'd definately get the offical ones.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I was skeptical but that actually looks worth the money. Great job!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The window of Josie's should flip back and forth between intact and shattered like a Battle Damage He-Man figure.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thanks all!

I was skeptical but that actually looks worth the money. Great job!

It is actually a pretty nice kit, with quite a few options for how you assemble it. Instead of Josie's, you can assemble it as Nelson & Murdock's law office or a generic apartment building front, for example. The walls have two versions on either side, more stuff to go on the roof, etc.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

This was one of my favorite models ever to paint, Warhammer/CP or otherwise. Not that difficult and the dynamic pose/sculpt of the action of the Lizard is leaps and bounds above anything Crisis Protocol put out in their core set. It's fairly obvious now but from the point of X-Force and beyond, the sheer quality of the miniatures has been extraordinary.

Sidenote but the latest minis have also been vastly easier to assemble and paint, as well. I remember Doc Ock in the core set have like 10 goddamn skinny pieces for his tentacles and ended up gluing them wrong, or some of the other earlier models having really poorly defined detail lines. Compare that to the Omega Red mini I just put together---both of his tentacles are whole pieces; no other assembly required, you just glue them to his wrists and that's it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
As things start to open back up to the point where playing tabletop is becoming an option again, I've been kind of poking at this as an option to try out: superheroes are cool, low model count and not having to paint a bunch of the same thing over and over is also very appealing, and it sounds like you can have fun at this game without making it your life.

Is the Core Set considered a good buy, though? Obviously it comes with a bunch of useful stuff but I've also seen a lot of criticism of the quality of the models, so if it's a better idea to skip it and just jump on the later releases, that would be good to know.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

evenworse username posted:

As things start to open back up to the point where playing tabletop is becoming an option again, I've been kind of poking at this as an option to try out: superheroes are cool, low model count and not having to paint a bunch of the same thing over and over is also very appealing, and it sounds like you can have fun at this game without making it your life.

Is the Core Set considered a good buy, though? Obviously it comes with a bunch of useful stuff but I've also seen a lot of criticism of the quality of the models, so if it's a better idea to skip it and just jump on the later releases, that would be good to know.

The models are still good, it's just the latest batch are a level above. The core set represents a ton of value and you'll want a bunch of stuff it provides, if not all the models. I think it still represents great value.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah, you need it for the cards, tokens, rulers, etc. You might be able to find them separately on eBay but not at enough of a discount to be worth it.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I’ve seen the core set on sale as low as $40, maybe just watch for a deal if you’re not in a rush.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

core set also includes a ton of terrain/objects, which is very important in this game to have.

honestly even with 1 or 2 dud characters you'll never likely use, core set is still great and you'll still have fun assembling/painting/using them. It's not like you can get some of those characters anywhere else (yet)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DLC Inc posted:

Sidenote but the latest minis have also been vastly easier to assemble and paint, as well. I remember Doc Ock in the core set have like 10 goddamn skinny pieces for his tentacles and ended up gluing them wrong, or some of the other earlier models having really poorly defined detail lines. Compare that to the Omega Red mini I just put together---both of his tentacles are whole pieces; no other assembly required, you just glue them to his wrists and that's it.

I agree with you for the most part, but I had so much trouble with Jean Grey's little X-shaped energy stand thing that I trashed it and ended up pinning her to a piece of bark instead. I don't know what it was, but something about how that was supposed to go together eluded me.

edit: Get the core set once you find it for a discount, it's got multiple characters that see plenty of play (Zemo, Red Skull, Captain America, Black Widow) in it and by the time you buy the rulers and dice and stuff you're not coming out super far ahead anyway

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Putting my core box together and holy gently caress why are Zemo's elbow pads separate microscopic pieces? What the gently caress AMG?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Funzo posted:

Putting my core box together and holy gently caress why are Zemo's elbow pads separate microscopic pieces? What the gently caress AMG?

LOL welcome to the early release bullshit. Wait til you put together Doc Ock or god forbid, Star Lord with his loving 4-piece face or atom-sized boot jets. Tbh Zemo/Ock/Star-Lord were the worst in the miniature line; I haven't had as much trouble with many others.

I agree with you for the most part, but I had so much trouble with Jean Grey's little X-shaped energy stand thing that I trashed it and ended up pinning her to a piece of bark instead. I don't know what it was, but something about how that was supposed to go together eluded me.

Storm, Magneto, and a few others have needed the gorilla glue treatment simply because finding how to place them on spindly poo poo was ridiculous. I didn't even really put my Lizard miniature on the water splash correctly because I didn't understand how the gently caress it was supposed to be.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Thirsty Dog posted:

The models are still good, it's just the latest batch are a level above. The core set represents a ton of value and you'll want a bunch of stuff it provides, if not all the models. I think it still represents great value.

smug jeebus posted:

Yeah, you need it for the cards, tokens, rulers, etc. You might be able to find them separately on eBay but not at enough of a discount to be worth it.

DLC Inc posted:

core set also includes a ton of terrain/objects, which is very important in this game to have.

honestly even with 1 or 2 dud characters you'll never likely use, core set is still great and you'll still have fun assembling/painting/using them. It's not like you can get some of those characters anywhere else (yet)

Thanks, that's all very useful. I'm really not in any hurry so I'll wait and see if the Core Set gets on sale and jump on it then.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

LOL welcome to the early release bullshit. Wait til you put together Doc Ock or god forbid, Star Lord with his loving 4-piece face or atom-sized boot jets. Tbh Zemo/Ock/Star-Lord were the worst in the miniature line; I haven't had as much trouble with many others.

Storm, Magneto, and a few others have needed the gorilla glue treatment simply because finding how to place them on spindly poo poo was ridiculous. I didn't even really put my Lizard miniature on the water splash correctly because I didn't understand how the gently caress it was supposed to be.

Are you not using plastic glue? Cannot recommend it highly enough for MCP.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

Are you not using plastic glue? Cannot recommend it highly enough for MCP.

I use the same glue as I do for Warhammer, which is the Tamiya stuff---however, for gluing to bases, I only use gorilla glue since MCP models have the annoying habit of not staying on their bases with the weaker glues like Tamiya; nearly all of them snap off in time. Something about the plastic that Atomic Mass uses for this game, not sure why, but never had that problem with Games Workshop miniatures.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

I use Tamiya plastic cement and don't have any issues with the models coming off their bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

The trick I've found with Tamiya is to put a dab on the bottom of the foot (or whatever contact point) and hold it for a second, then hit the outside of the connection point and let capillary action work its magic.