Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I played a couple games of this recently with a buddy that has basically every figure and decided to try SHIELD.

First game went poorly for me because I took a list with multiple "Got your back" abilities thinking I'd be getting a bunch of extra shots off with grunts getting KO'ed and not realizing that "Got your back" has an energy cost as well. Live and learn, but I also rolled like absolute trash the entire game. The only thing that kept me from getting completely blown away in points was Fury giving me a VP every time my guys got dazed or KO'ed. Felt real bad, I was pretty down on the game.

A week or so later we did another round and I stuck with SHIELD, but went with a group that had a lot of status effects. Rolls went better, my plays were sounder and I ended up ahead on points by the end. My status effect strategy went absolutely nowhere and the only real payoff would have been a better Widow's Kiss, so next time I think I will pick my roster without that as a consideration. Eyes in the Sky in particular was doing work making my friend whiff shots with Gambit, so I might focus more card choices around repositioning tricks next time. Pretty much any time he would have nailed me with a two for one attack, I was able to get one target clear.

I'm not sure what to aim for in a roster next time since my "themes" ended up going nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Thanks for the feedback. I will probably go ahead and stick with SHIELD for now, the second game felt a LOT better than the first. I will most likely bring Winter Soldier back into my list, rapid fire has worked out pretty well for me overall and I can figure out how to save up for Got Your Back when I need it.

I was kind of disappointed in Hawkeye in game two, but I just need to learn to make use of his special abilities for him to perform a bit better. His counterattack is pretty awkward though, I seemed to always be too close to use it. I got pushed out of LOS with Taskmaster and started abusing his Shield Throw, so I'm sure Trick Shot has some utility, I just need better positioning.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

admanb posted:

Winter Soldier is a monster against everythjng except damage reduction and cover.

Hawkeye I don’t like, but I’m in the minority among SHIELD players. He’s just never performed well for me. But he’s good against cover and the conditions he gives out are great.

(Cover is relevant less because of terrain and more because of Storm’s leadership and Magneto’s Magnetic Refraction card, which really mess with SHIELD.)

I had to look up the Storm ability and realized my friend was playing Storm wrong to my advantage last game. He only referenced her leadership ability to reposition his team. Between that and my playing grunts wrong, that game might not have gone so well for me.

A lot of exchanges were within 2 or ignored cover/LOS anyway, but I can't help but feel it puts an asterisk next to the win.