Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Shrecknet posted:

unless it's a three-box event, anything at the store level is 100% OK with proxies of crisis and tactics cards. Proxies of actual minis, less so.

I wish this was true for my local events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

It doesn't surprise me that much -- a lot of the DNA of MCP's card system comes from FFG's X-Wing, which had sanctioned OP with prizes provided by FFG that required you have every card you were playing. FFG was also better at making important cards accessible (better -- not good). MCP has no sanctioned events (outside of their casual events, ironically) but that feeling of "this is like X-Wing" lives on.

It sucks though.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Villains are tougher because they tend to fly solo or have nameless henchmen, so at best you end up with "all of Spider-Man's villains" in Spider-Foes, even if most of them never worked with each other.

The groupings are usually at least comic-inspired and it's more likely that character X has worked with group X than not (because comics) but a lot of the weird edge cases are more about gameplay than anything else.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Nearly all lists will splash a few out-of-affiliation characters, as most don't even have 10 and even the ones that do can usually benefit from a few imports. Fully dual-affiliation lists are quite a bit less common.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Doc Ock is a tank, wants to grab an objective and sit on a point and durdle around. there aren't a ton of 3 threat characters that have a character throw

Zemo on the other hand is an offensive piece with charge and rerolls. with a long move

they fill different niches but Zemo is generically more useful

I would compare Ock more directly to Lizard and I think he loses out there, but not by a ton and being a medium-base medium-move is inherently strong. He's not the worst 3 you take just because they're in-affiliation, but it does sting a bit in an affiliation as small as Foes.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

theironjef posted:

Who is? Moon Knight? Bullseye?

Moon Knight's great! And Bullseye is a 2 now.

Good question, though. Maybe he is the worst. Well-Laid Plans definitely helps.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

he does get a tactics card that is p-good with goblin so there's that at least

also I never realized you're a goon. I've seen you on the tts discord

haha yeah when I'm fixated on a game I love talking about it so I'm everywhere.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I think 4s have the largest quantity of "not quite there" models, but 5s have some absolute trash.

In general I think 4s are the hardest to balance because they're not cheap enough that you're gonna run more than 1 or 2 but they're not expensive enough to be the boomstick of your list. Also, you can very often get 5 die attacks out of 3s and you don't usually get 6 dice until 5s, so 4s have to do something special to have the right offensive output for their value.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kaza42 posted:

Which 5s would you say are trash? Other than black bolt, they're mostly fine. Jean underperforms a bit but isnt terrible

Jean is one for me. Her damage output doesn't match up to most 5s with a 5-die builder and only a M range throw. She has no mobility or defensive tech to speak of and will explode if a physical attacker looks at her. Shield Mind is solid but it's not powerful enough to make up for the rest. And Nova's the other one -- similar issue with 5-die builder, no extra offense, no defensive tech besides stealth, and no mobility.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kaza42 posted:

Counterpoint, Jean can move activated models. That plus shield mind makes her great at stand on secures. She's not top tier, but definitely has a role.

Nova is a bit rough, but her mind possession attack combos extremely well with her trap power, and she can hand out punishing root conditions like candy. Not great, but not garbage

Yeah I don't think we're that far off, I think I just have a larger bucket for "garbage."

My issue with Jean's move is that it's just a more limited and more expensive Bow to the Will of MODOK that could be used multiple times, but on a character that doesn't generate that much power.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Those models are cool but I truly do not understand who this is for. I'm not saying everything they release should be MCU-popular, but this seems like layers of niche deep.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

That won't be hard since given their announcement/release schedule those will probably be the only four models they get for at least a full year.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I'm down for deep cuts but Malekith is at least an expansion of a faction that hasn't seen a lot of direct love in a while. In a game that's already chock-full of underperforming factions creating another tiny one seems like a recipe for alienating players.

but I'm not really upset about it, just kinda "huh?" It is also a fact that tabletop games are a lot more likely to be broken by over-emphasis on depth (lots of new releases for a small # of factions) than breadth, so from that perspective this is both a safe and player-friendly choice.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

i'd buy the gently caress out of some nextwave that is for sure

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Hoboskins posted:

I have a rules question I googled a bit but couldn't quite find what I'm looking for. abilities that state effects "allied characters" do they also affect the model using the ability. The question came up in relation to Kravens buff. I said no because there are similar abilities that say "this character and allies". In this scenario we played it out that Kraven does not benefit from the buff only other allied characters. Would love a rules link or quote from the book for clarity.

They do, yeah. If it doesn't it'll say "other allied characters."

I am curious where you saw "this character and allies"?

admanb fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 24, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The biggest cards that didn't get reprinted I can think of off the top of my head are Medpack and Field Dressing.

Bitter Rivals, Blind Obsession, and Climbing Gear as well. This is an unofficial list that I found.

I suppose that's the easiest way to solve turn 1 herb plays

Herbs is just generally a bad scenario because it's way too good for factions like BO that don't want anyone scoring points and it's sometimes just broken.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

One thing I’m doing after the changes is looking more closely at splashes that basically come with a card. Venom is a good example of a character that’s obviously powerful, but feels like you can’t leave out his card. Similarly, I had filtered both Hood’s Gang and The Grand Illusion out of my CS list, but it’s time to give them another go.

Apocron posted:

Thanks for the recommendations!

They just arrived and while they seem reasonably well assembled (there were a few plastic bits in the box which could be missing parts but on cursory inspection all the characters looked complete) the base coat he sprayed on seems to unevenly coat the models. I’m wondering if I should just roll with it and try painting or buy a spray can and try and get it even myself? Seems like he used Citadel Colour Wraith Bone. I’ll repost the pic I shared before if anyone could give some advice.

An uneven coat of primer is generally better than a thick coat. My recommendation is to paint a model and you can always re-prime them if it goes poorly.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

It would be decent round 1 when you’re moving onto home points and B points, and when you’re just sitting on far points with Bullseye or Lizard, but otherwise yeah not much.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

If only there was some way to know who that is.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Yeah, that black lining really works for the model.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Hoboskins posted:

I literally came to write I like the grass patches too haha. Plenty of footpaths have grass growing up through the cracks and it differentiates the bases a little. I know normal size Kamala's pose is iconic but drat is it boring, they could have done a lot with it. I have been speculating with friends about why Redskull hasn't gone up for pre-order yet I am assuming it will happen after they have the mini-stravaganza since now they are having a Hydra vs Avengers game on the stream. Hopefully it isn't a production or shipping issue.

I will be curious to see what they do with affiliations (When Hydra gets released). Cabal kind of looks like a place holder affiliation and a dumping ground for models like Ultron. If you go by comic lore Normon Osbourne is the actual leader/creator from what I am told. I do like that they are thinking about balance though. Rogue should be in A-Force but I think they have excluded her from the affiliation for balance reasons.

My friend is playing in one of the current TTS leagues here are some stats for those interested. https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/brad.adams/viz/MCPTTSSeason8RosterStats/AffiliationTreeMap
I want to know why 2 people splashed Blackbolt out of affiliation.

ngl I would give strong odds they were trying for Black Cat but missed and didn't notice.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

SpinyNorman867 posted:

Played my first game of this last night and had a great time with it! We found the rules to be really easy to navigate after a round or so, and only had one situation that was unclear. I'm hoping someone here can confirm we did this correctly or explain what we did wrong if not.

Captain America used his Shield Slam on Red Skull. It caused enough damage to daze Skull. Normally, that attack would allow the target to be thrown, but because Red Skull had been dazed during the apply damage step, he is not an eligible target to be thrown anymore, and so the additional effect of Cap's attack doesn't go off. Am I getting this right?

Correct -- because the throw occurs "after this attack is resolved." Note that there are similar abilities that trigger "before damage is dealt" in which case you would get to throw.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

theironjef posted:

Building Valkyrie and boy are those some incomplete instructions. Just attach her head to her torso, no problem. Ah but her head is three weird pieces, sure.

These instructions have the head assembly.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Shrecknet posted:

purple hand gang

RISE UP

I just need to say one thing: black rim your bases.

Black rim makes the rest of it look so much better.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

A third action (I assume you knew that and just used a different term, but it is an important distinction.)

It’s a wild card. It’ll be basically impossible to get off before rd3 and with the built-in stagger that means you’re getting your first bonus action rd4. So probably only averaging 1-2 bonus actions per game for 10 power.

BUT staggering everything within 2 might be good on its own? So who knows! Definitely a fun card to play if not good.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I have a feeling the Hydra Council tactics card they haven’t spoiled yet is gonna let you switch between leaderships, possibly including head torso guy. Because both leaderships seem good, but low power.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Hydra has big Johnny energy.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I think you just want to ignore Juggs unless you have an absolute murderer you can put into him. He's not a wrecking ball -- he'll usually make one eight-die attack and bump someone for 1, which is good but it's not like MODOK or Scarlet Witch who can wipe your board single-handedly if you ignore them. He's a control/movement/point sitter piece disguised as a beater.

And yeah Mags is always a tough matchup. I don't have specific advice other than score as many points as you can and try to keep your important pieces safe from double-taps. Throwing terrain, even if it's just into other terrain, has significant value against him because Mags is pretty sad if all that's left for him to throw are his own pieces of wreckage.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Ya MCP is a hard game. If you’re starting against more experienced players you’re probably going to lose most of your first 20 games. Only thing you can do is re-rack and go again.

(Juggs one-shotting Cable is also pretty unlucky, even with a hammer.)

admanb fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 20, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Juggernaut doesn’t put out that much damage relative to other 5pt pieces, is my point. The eight die builder is good but relative to MODOK/Scarlet Witch, Juggs does a lot less damage. Because it’s not his role — he’s a big loving tank that does one fairly consistent hit and some poke damage, and can get wherever he wants to go. He’s a good character, but he’s not the type of 5 you want to target and burst down, he’s the kind you want to mitigate and minimize.

And smacking/dazing him isn’t going to stop Do You Know Who I Am. That’s just the cost of doing business with Juggs.

I’m not saying you pretend he isn’t there, I’m saying that damage isn’t how you deal with him.

admanb fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 20, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

There’s no one-size-fits-all solutions but in general —

- just score around them. One 5pt model scores worse than 3+2
- load them up with conditions. Stagger doesn’t work against Juggs, Stun doesn’t work against Hulk, but every big guy is vulnerable to something that reduces their power gen or action economy. Stopping Juggs from generating power means he can’t move > Nothing Stops without attacking first, which shrinks his threat a lot.
- displace them. Tougher against Juggs but physical pushes like Iron Man still work. Very good against Hulk.

(Hulk’s also quite a bit more killable than Juggs, but you have to commit to it because un-focused damage on Hulk just helps him murder you.)

admanb fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 20, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Shrecknet posted:

yeah I am a dormammu main, tried out a VERY unoptimized SLDD list last night (note the presence of worthless trash like supergiant and cable)
going back to Big D, I'm a better pilot with more reps on him

Heh. Yeah. I was going to say that SLDD definitely isn't a tier 2 leader but he does want you to build around him in a certain way. I R's suggestion of Winter Soldier/Bullseye/Black Cat is close to what I would do, but two Rogue Agents makes your power generation for All According to Plan a little rough.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

shows you how long it's been since I looked at Taskmaster :dumb:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Shrecknet posted:

like I get it, the money isn't for the plastic, it's the sculpting and the testing/design. but even so - tons of other 2-model kits are $40 and then this one is $65 because ~reasons?~

The small Sentinels are the same size as Dormammu.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Shrecknet posted:

So is Black Dwarf and he's in a $45 4‐pack

Well... $60.

Which is true, but the Affiliation boxes are priced significantly lower than the regular boxes -- you're getting a significant discount for buying in bulk. The Sentinel boxes are priced pretty normally relative to other character boxes -- Black Dwarf and Ebony Maw alone were $50.

The Sentinels are also customizable, so they may have much bigger sprues than we're used to getting.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

S.J. posted:

Would an entire sentinels list be those 3 models? Because if so that seems perfectly reasonable, even if you had to add another box to it.

Those three and Cassandra Nova, presumably.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

All I know is that there better be some amazing team tactics cards in there if they want me to start playing Cassandra Nova

I'm less positive on her but just adding a strong leadership with a tactics card would do a lot to make her functional. The weirder thing is going to be the Sentinel faction with (at a guess) a 5 threat leader, two 4s, and a 6.

But they're getting five tactics cards between their two boxes, so that's a lot of potential flexibility/power.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

They're vulnerable to the most common attack type in the game. They're extremely vulnerable to whiffing, because their attack being any good depends on having power to spare (they really hate Stun). And they get quite a bit worse once dazed.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I think they want to avoid people having to buy more than one box of anything, but that's just my conjecture.

More generally the idea of there being multiples of anything in a team is new and weird for MCP and will hopefully continue to be rare even after these. It makes sense and avoids them having to do something weirder, like designing two 4pt Sentinels with slightly different weaponry, but it's not something they want to lean into.

And, yeah, MCP boxes are designed to be one-and-done. You don't want to mess with that expectation and you also don't want to sell a $100 box with three Sentinels that they might only use 1-2 of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Hood's probably one of the best 3s in the game and he's just a delight to play. So many potential play patterns when he's transformed and loaded up with power.

If his model(s) was more interesting he'd probably be my favorite piece in the game.