Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've had this since release, and never thought to look for a thread here. Haven't been able to play in months for obvious reasons, but been plugging away at painting. Looking forward to trying out the Spidey affiliation, and super looking forward to Dr. Strange and Defenders.

Also, these are great:

KingMob posted:

All caught up again. So many tiny webline details...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Still working to get decent pics with my new setup, but here some Wakanda I did a couple months ago and the Miles I did last night:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's a tight, well-written ruleset that plays quickly and can be as competitive or casual as you want. Painting resources are best found on some combination of Facebook groups, Discord, and Twitter / Instagram. Usually there's significant overlap between the different groups so it shouldn't be too hard to find resources. Most people are super helpful and supportive especially if you're new to painting. The mini painting thread here is also helpful, but skews almost exclusively to Games Workshop stuff.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do I need to scrub down MCP minis before panting them?

That's typically not needed for plastics like these. I haven't been washing mine and they've all been fine.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

KingMob posted:

I'm starting to fall behind, but man these models are so worth the time:

I love all your stuff man, never stop posting.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Got off my rear end and uploaded some recent stuff:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Finished Iron Fist, duders:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

jesus CHRIST. The quality of that new Strange.....wow.

Also lol that Juggernaut has been confirmed for eons, yet there have been like 20 other new figures announced and shown before him. Wonder where the hell he is.

He's on the same boat the new ASM and Mysterio boxes have been stuck on for months now, I assume.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey friendos, painted the apartment building for the many games of MCP I am playing right now. :negative:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thanks all!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I was skeptical but that actually looks worth the money. Great job!

It is actually a pretty nice kit, with quite a few options for how you assemble it. Instead of Josie's, you can assemble it as Nelson & Murdock's law office or a generic apartment building front, for example. The walls have two versions on either side, more stuff to go on the roof, etc.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Played my first game in quite awhile, Defenders against Wakanda. I lost, but I made a real go of it. He just had too many ways to push my models away from scenario while I had nothing to mitigate that. I did live the dream and hit three models with Strange's super beam tactic card. I dazed all 5 models in his list that turn, three with just the beam. That got me back in the game, but I lost after Iron Fist completely whiffed on Okoye with both a drop kick and his iron fist attack. Still, it was fun to actually use all these drat models I painted.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

What Battle Reports do y'all recommend for this game? Are there any that show the cards/powers on screen when they're being used?

Also biased because it's a chum, but Mini Fights is great. Also an ex-goon if that's relevant. He doesn't post here anymore, but if you know old school painters from this dead comedy forum, PaintVagrant is definitely in the top of that list. The videos are nicely condensed, well produced with effects, etc. Most reports are fully painted on nice terrain as well.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They posted cards for new Strange and he is quite different but still great. Can’t post images from mobile but should be easy to find.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Painted the dudes a couple weeks ago but forgot to post 'em:

Warmachine didn't turn out great but I'm really happy with Sam. I broke in both of them today in an actual game. Sam Wilson dudespam is no joke! A++ would mandolly again.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You can hand-wave away any weirdness like that by remembering that comic plots are often weird and dumb with mind-control, clones, shapeshifters, holograms, whatever. Though I guess if I was more than a casual comics guy I might be more annoyed by it. I do think it's important to be able to run your expensive and lovingly painted mandollies as much as possible, so this system is far better in that regard than a more restrictive team building rule.

Also I painted my Domino after seeing how good she was played against me this weekend.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Love seeing all this painted stuff lately!

I'm running a tournament next weekend, the first for our store. Should be super fun to start getting people (safely) together. Next month I'm slated to run a tournament at a con here in the Midwest. I thought I was done running stuff when I sorta fell out of WMH, but here we are again haha.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Cap vs. Skull diorama rerelease when

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
She's another good 3 pointer for my new fav, Sam Wilson. She stealth has a lot of movement shenanigans with those transforms, and smacks people around pretty good when she gets big.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ran my first MCP event today. Seven dudes (should have been 8 but one had an emergency), three rounds of nice chill games. It's a nice change of pace from running 30-60 player WMH tournaments full of try hards calling for me to judge ranges and poo poo every 5 minutes. There was a nice variety of lists too (in order from first to last place): Wakanda, Web Warriors, Spider Foes, WW/Foes, Black Order, Xmen, Syndicate.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to spam up the thread with my random shots from the event, but I do need to share this amazing Beast with his pokemon card binder that someone was rocking today:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Tbh I'm bad at remembering to take pics during events when I run them. But here's what I have:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Spent too much time on this, and for my troubles had Magneto throw it and murder Domino in my first game using it. But it's nice to get something done at least!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

KingMob posted:

Caught up just in time for the Convocation wave to hit next week.

Super good as always man.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I ran a MCP tourney at the Michigan GT, a local but fast growing minis convention this past weekend. It's primary focus is on GW games naturally, but there's a nice assortment of others.

I'm bad at remembering to take pics, but here's what I got:

We had 12 players total after a few no shows (meaning I couldn't play the bye, booo). So nothing huge, but the event linked up a lot of the localized groups. I'm expecting to see more guys traveling back and forth for other events, and next year will likely be much bigger. We also got a lot of looky loos thanks to running fully painted lists on fully painted terrain. This was by far the easiest event I've ever run, nice and chill compared to the hardcore competitive edge I saw with other games. I came out of it more excited to play, which is always a good sign. A++ would mandolly again.

Edit in case anyone's curious, top list was Sam Wilson dude spam run by a very good player who also got extremely lucky (as in his Hawkeye does 20 damage across two turns type poo poo). Wakanda came in second. There was a wide variety of affiliations.Many of the games came down to the wire and probably half the field could have won it if dice went their way a little more.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 11, 2021

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So many old school minis chums showing up in here. :hellyeah:

The starter box is worth it just for the terrain, templates, and dice IMO. At least some of the models are still quite viable, and there's also an update coming next month that will hopefully reinvigorate the starter stuff. Maybe get that plus an expansion box or two for an affiliation that you like. Roster building rules are pretty chill, letting you mix and match models pretty easily.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

Honestly looking forward to bringing this to Warfaire Weekend next year if things aren't so lovely. I'm really just going all in on Spider-Man themed stuff and we'll see from there, it's nice to have a decently made game that I can just chill out and play.

It really is just a nice chill game. That tournament I ran was the most chill, relaxing event I've ever run. Compared to high-pressure hyper competitive WMH tournaments, it was awesome.

And speaking of those core box updates, they posted cards for several models getting updated. We already knew about Steve. Nothing too crazy about Iron Man and Captain Marvel, but they're much more solid now. Ultron looks muuuuch better.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Bonedaddy is better than people give him credit for. I will die on this hill.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Guardians update was just previewed, and man they knocked it out of the park. I definitely want to give the new rules a test drive as soon as they officially release.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

yeah I've had 3-4 games now. it good fam

I'm now looking at what to expand into. I personally like X-Force, Web Warriors and Uncanny X-Men. there seems to be some good overlap too

Cable / Domino
Deadpool / Bob
Spider-Man / Ghost Spider
Wolverine / Sabertooth
Cyclops / Storm

how does this look for some variety starting off? I can also technically run Avengers with core set Captain America + Deadpool + Cable / Ironman

is there a preferred app / site for building team comps?

If you really like Deadpool, get him. Otherwise you're paying a lot for one model and a terrain piece. If you like Web Warriors, I'd consider dropping deadpool and getting the Amazing Spiderman / Black Cat Box. ASM I think also works in Avengers, and he's great in general.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah derp, Venom is so good. Absolutely get him.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Finished Cable, chums. Wish I had more time to paint/play but still nice to get something done.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

That Cable looking smooth as gently caress---what paint did you use for the yellow?

Thanks! I put down a base of the Iyanden contrast yellow, then did some quick layered highlights using P3 Moldy Ochre. That color is a baller yellow that I use all the time including with all my Xmen stuff.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Finished up Carnage tonight too.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You non-US people and your actually getting releases. :frogout:

But seriously though, looks good, great work.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

I'm in the USA, I just decided to bite the bullet and get Hood/Voodoo/Moon Knight/Blade via imports. It's a bit more costly though so my hobby shop has preordered the rest for whenever they ever come out----buying Dormammu would mean an exorbitant shipping cost I'm not willing to do lol

Ahhh, gotcha. Not gonna lie, been tempted to try and get across the border to Canada since it's only about an hour away, haha.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I own one of the old Ghost Riders. Will I need to buy an entire new figure or I can find the info cards somewhere and use that?

The new cards are getting released sometime in November in a print and play format. Official printed cards will be released sometime next year in a pack for purchase.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Painted some more MCPs chums:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Never don't post all the cool painted stuff. :hellyeah:

Len posted:

I still haven't gotten to play. The day I was going to go snag my core set from the LGS I got a positive covid test lol

Having the two player games we won would have been great while spending ten days in the house. Looking forward to finally getting my copy Saturday. Is this something that can be played out of the box pushing bases around or do I need to assemble it?

I guess you could technically push bases around if you used a sharpie to write what each base represented if you really wanted to. But really there's a good bit of assembly. Unfortunately the core box represents their earliest product when they weren't experienced with sculpting/producing. They've gotten way better now but some of the core models have some fiddly pieces or are otherwise a pain to build. IIRC Cap and Zemo had tiny little easy to lose pieces. Captain Marvel's belt sash thing was a pain for me. I'm sure there's other things I'm forgetting.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 23, 2021

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Not wild about the idea of Minion models or whatever, but if they're very simply and tied to a hero model, I can probably deal.

Also here's some stuff I've finished in the last month or so, in approximate chronological order. Really want to get all my wizards painted ASAP. They look super fun.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I recently finished up my Convocation. I love how they look altogether, but now I'm thinking I should have done OSL on all of them, like I did Wong and Strange 1 awhile back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

I absolutely love how you did those bases---for too long I've just slathered semi-metallic colors and grays on those cracked sidewalks but that color looks fantastic. What's your secret for painting those?

Thanks! There's not much to it, really. Paint a basecoat of P3 Bastion Grey, then drybrush first with VGC Cold Grey then VGC Stonewall Grey. (Go pretty sparing with the last one.) P3 paints are getting distressingly hard to find, but you can substitute a different grey easily enough. It should be not particularly dark, and a more warm tone.