Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Thanks for starting this thread, Luebbi! MCP is great, but man is it hard to get a community going. Any Toronto goons getting into it?

I fell hard enough to get all this just to have a good home board:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
That's a really nice set-up. Who makes the mat? Did you print off those posters?

I discovered this week that the following combination (if you can pull it off with priority) of mission/affiliation/characters is super nasty:

1. Take the Worthy extraction mission.
2. Have Winter Soldier and Red Skull in your team under Cabal.
3. Get a hammer on WS ASAP and start pinging enemies with 5 dice Assault Rifle shots at range.
4. On a pivotal turn, get WS into Red Fury range and throw 8 + 5 dice at a target.

WS becomes a huge threat very early that forces your opponent to devote resources to daze/KO him. I might also try to get a flyer in the list to make use of Drop Off.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Back to fully painted, at least until this month's releases get delivered. Luckily I've got a lot terrain to paint while my family is social distancing/wfh/off school for the next three weeks...

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Thanks! Vision's base coats were VMC Magenta, and Army Painter Goblin Green and Poisonous Cloud.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Just the paint. If there's one thing I'd like to see AMG start doing, it would be including alternate head sculpts for some models.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Since there haven't been any new releases in Canada, I decided to try and get my board finished before the avalanche of June releases. I'm really happy with how this turned out:

The park tiles are made from art board, painted and flocked:

Starlord looking for a snack:

Rocket waiting for his FLGS to re-open:

Groot defying shelter-in-place orders:

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Seems like Thanos is due on the 10th in Canada as well. Game spaces here in Toronto are nowhere near to opening up yet, and to be honest, even if they were it's unlikely I'd been stepping foot in one until our Covid numbers drop to zero.

Anyway, here's 6/10 of June's releases done. Canada post's backups have delayed delivery of Black Widow/Hawkeye and Drax/Ronan.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Raged posted:

Wow those look good.

Thanks! Ebony Maw was not as fun to paint as the others, but Black Dwarf's skin turned out exactly as I wanted.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Every batch of releases is more fun than the last to paint:

Now on to Thanos. I'm trying to figure what kind of colour scheme to use on the throne, because the studio one is so bland...

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
AMG came through on the one thing I had on my MCP wishlist: alternate heads! I'm probably going to try and convert Cyclops to look more like his House of X version. Hopefully Wolverine's shoulder pads are separate pieces that can be left off.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
All caught up again.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
https://xavier-protocols.com/2020/08/03/crimson-bands-of-cyttorak/ did the math on how often Crimson Bands will land an activated token: 49% of the time, and it can get as high as 69%. Feels like a bargain for 5 threat.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
All caught up again. So many tiny webline details...

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
September's releases finished up. Mixed bag of shallow details and poor fits, but paint hides a lot of the issues.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
October's releases done. I think I've figured out how to paint white.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Pyrolocutus posted:

How'd you do your white? Right now I'm working on Kingpin too and I'm layering p3 Morrow White then plan to go over it with Contrast Apocathary White and see how it turns out.

I wanted a neutral tone on KP and TK, so I did a base of Army Painter Stone Golem, and over many, many layers, shaded up through to AP Matte White. Deeper recesses were shaded with a wash of AP Uniform Grey.

Bullseye I went cooler, so I did a white base, and then a wash of AP Fog Grey and worked it back up.

The picture washes out the shading, so the actual effect is more pronounced in person.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Zuul the Cat posted:

Finished up Wolverine!

Very nice!

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Took my time over the holidays with this batch:

House of X scheme mutants (or as close as I could emulate):

Enchantress and Angela:

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Back to fully painted with this batch. I took my time and used minimal to no washes this time around.

I cannot wait to paint that Lizard...

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Sin and Viper complete, just in time for the delayed releases deluge...

Love that Howard!

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I hear what you're saying; the detail on some models is very shallow and can disappear under slightly heavy priming. Wolverine was not a pleasure to paint. Chunkier models, like Thor, Sabertooth, Ronan, etc. are much easier/more fun to paint and feel more like GW models.

I go much slower and have dropped washes almost entirely and feel my completed models look a lot better.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Case in point: Domino has detailed/prominent facial features. Not big on the pose, but she was fun to paint.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Starting to get caught up, but there's 6 more coming this week...

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Padical posted:

Painting Wolverine's eyes on either of his heads has made me hate this model. There's just something about the spacing and the raised parts not being where I expect them to be that's throwing me off. Any tips?

Just approximate as best you can. I was also frustrated him. Wolverine is one of the models in the range with a poorly defined face.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I have Ghost Rider and plan on picking up Dr. Strange eventually. Who else should I get to fill out the Defenders?

A friend plays this game pretty competitively (if that's your thing) and he's been finding great success with this roster:

Dr. Strange
Soul Gem
Hawkeye
Valkyrie
Iron Fist
Scarlet Witch
Enchantress
MODOK
Hulk
Toad

You can't go wrong with the Iron Fist / Luke Cage and Thor / Valkyrie boxes even in casual play.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I'm starting to fall behind, but man these models are so worth the time:

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Thanks for the kind words! Also, nice sharp looking paint jobs!

Here comes Dormammu:

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Beerdeer posted:

It could just be the local players, but it seems wildly imbalanced when I’ve played. I’d gladly try it again if it wasn’t for my local group.

That's unfortunate. There is some model imbalance as MCP has aged but it's largely mitigated by the way rosters and crises are chosen at the start of a game. While AMG has stated that they will never develop official competitive game events, MCP has attracted a lot of ex-WMH and Guild Ball hardcore competitive players. You have my sympathy if your local community is dominated by try-hards.

When I soon start playing again (ugh, has it really been 18 months) I'm just running thematic teams. gently caress the tier lists.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Fyrbrand posted:

Finished Iron Fist, duders:

Very nice! Flaming dragon fist is good practice for...

Dormammu looks loving huge! At least a head taller than MODOK based on the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1iVuaOkgl0

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Working away on the backlog before the August release bomb hits:

Kraven turned out more happy than I wanted, but he's very endearing this way.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

DLC Inc posted:

goddamn how did you get those guys already, it still says they are in "preorder" mode everywhere I look :(

Canada got them early. However, Jean Grey / Nova and Omega Red were delayed here until late August. If the mystic releases all come out in August as well... ugh, that's a heavy month.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Hosted a games day for our group after far too long apart. Game remains fun!

Cabal under Sin vs. Brotherhood under Magneto. The non-mutant baddies carried the day due to hot, hot dice.

Sin's leadership played virtually no part in the game, but at least she got to fire the plasma gun...

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Very nice. If I didn't already have a bunch of TTCombat buildings I'd definately get the offical ones.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Caught up again and glad to have a few week's reprieve to work on other, non-MCP projects.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Fellblade posted:

My wife has really got in to painting models this past year (mainly for D&D, so nolzurs and reaper minis) and we are both huge Marvel fans, but this talk of the Core Set being really fiddly is scaring me off buying this.

Is it really bad to such an extent that it should be avoided and wait for these redone heroes?

To avoid tragedy: when clipping and assembling parts, get a baking tray and do all of your work on top of it. Don't risk snipping off a bit and it flying down a grate, into a carpet, etc.

Loving how active the thread has been lately. Please post more lovely, painted models whenever possible. TIA

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Got 2 games in yesterday; Brotherhood (Magneto) vs Avengers (Sam). Lessons learned:

- Magneto is very, very strong and should not be challenged head on. She-Hulk and Ghost Rider got schooled.
- Avengers under Sam's leadership need to go wide to get use out of his leadership. Threat 5/6 characters are a detriment.
- Wasp is a lot better than I thought and is a solid hitter.

It was at that moment that She-Hulk realized she hosed up:

So many juicy targets:

Ultimate Encounter - Catte:

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Very nice, excellent weathering.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Caught up just in time for the Convocation wave to hit next week.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Thanks! For any bright yellow, I use all Vallejo Model Color: base of Ochre Brown, highlighted up with many layers of Deep Yellow and then adding some White for the final highlights.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Great models in the thread! With no new releases until next year, I might have time to catch up:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I highly recommend TTCombat's MDF buildings - https://ttcombat.com/collections/city-scenics. Affordable, easy to assemble and almost perfect in scale.

This was a portion of the table I put together for our last game: a mix of TTCombat and AMG terrain.