Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Aww, yeah, MCP! One of the three games I'm stoked to play as soon as I can see humans other than my wife again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is Ghost Rider any good in-game? He's one of favorite characters and I want to build around him

Oh yeah. If he can hang around the amjor scrum in the game, he punishes opponents not paying attention to him, and Penance Stare is a baller attack. Make sure to take a 2 pointer character with you like Okoye or Toad, so they can hang out at an out-of-the-way objective and be used for the Deal With the Devil Tactics Card.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Genuinely on of my favorite minis games right now. These leaks have been fun, an we still get more later!

I wonder how much that Size 5 Apartment building is going to cost.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm really looking forward to getting that Sam Wilson Captain America.

Same. Really hoping he breathes new life into the Avengers.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Padical posted:

I bought this game for my 11 year old niece (and so I could collect and paint some X-Men). This will be her first time trying a miniatures game and painting, so hopefully she likes one of these things! Are there any good tutorial missions for this game, especially cooperative ones like the one official ultron co-op mission?

I would recommend pre-determining the Crises, and avoid the Ultimate Encounters. The UEs, like Ultron's, are pretty brutal even under normal conditions. They are less co-op experiences IMO, and more akin to boss raids.

Feel free to try them out, though! I haven't played a UE since last summer when a small group decided to virtually try Thanos' UE.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Oddly specific assembly question, but is Okoye hard to put together? I see her turn up in stuff all the time thanks to being 2 cost.

She has that "two wrists connect to the arms" bit you see where people hold pole weapons like that, but otherwise she's fine.

SHURI, on the other hand

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Dare I ask?

In happy news I thought Storm was going to be a pain but she was fine when I realized how she was supposed to align with the lightning bolt.

So, the bottom of the panther gauntlets are a separate bit, and the tail of her head braid is its own bit.

On top of that, she's doing that dodgy-one foot down pose, so there's that.

She is, IMO, the hardest model in the range.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Nice, Frybrand!

DLC Inc posted:

Holy poo poo lol

-- edit since I don't want to double post but this site has all the changes mentioned: https://acrossthebifrost.com/2021/09/11/the-future-of-marvel-crisis-protocol/

Overall MODOK/Shuri got nerfed (thank gently caress) with Shuri not being able to push size 4+ chars anymore, and some buffs to Steve Rogers and THE HULK now being the monster he ought to be.

I never actually expected AMG to do this i.e. honest to god character card revamps, and fully expected them to just make "The Immortal Hulk" or other variants to address characters who got left behind as they ramped up the flavor and abilities of newer models. This is really awesome to see and shows they're very committed to a young game that's just hitting the gas in terms of more unique game rules (Mr. Sinister, Kraven, Rogue, and more arch-nemesis stuff in particular have some wildly flavorful material) and better quality of the sculpts themselves.

I believe MODOK only got a change that was already alive in errata anyway; this just keep you from having to :actually: people. Shuri's update makes sense in the age of Dormammu, and Steve is lined up with that.

Hulk is...strong. Like, real strong. Like, woah dude.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

CaptCommy posted:

Gamora is definitely one of the worst characters in the game, almost like objectively so. But the cool thing about MCP is the power band is remarkably narrow, so even bad characters can still put in good work. Definitely an adjustment from a lot of other minis games, but bad means something quite different here in MCP

That's a weird way to spell "Bullseye." ;)

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Len posted:

I got a core set for $50 yesterday, it's been sitting on the shelf at the LGS since it came out so my question is are the rules inside still the most up to date?

In fact, the rules that come in the box aren't technically the complete rules. It's a "Learn to Play" guide that, while it covers *most* of the rules, the online PDF at AMG's website is the complete reference material. https://www.atomicmassgames.com/rules

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Len posted:

Does it update frequently or could I rebel against my bosses by printing it out in full color on the company printer?

Same question with stat cards

The new stat cards aren't fully released, but I'd be confident that they'll last for a while.

The rulebook, well...I'd be less confident in. Depending on your definition of "frequently," I'd say printing is OK (as I think, *think* they'll likely make huge, impactful updates maybe 2x a year at most going forward) I'd say printing in black and white might be a better call if you need them printed.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/transmissions/introducing-grunts

Henchmen rules work pretty much as you'd expect. Can only really have one "Grunt character" at once per team, so CP ain't gonna turn into a swarm game.

Pretty sure Red Skull + Hydra is next but after that, not sure what other characters they'd do for this playstyle. Off the top of my head I'd love Superior Spidey/Octobots, Ultron/Bots, and for the far future Dr. Doom + Doombots is a must.

"Sam spam" is about as swarmy as it can get, and that's typically around 7 models. Bumping it to 8 doesn't "feel" too bad, assuming that if I take 2 "parent" models, I only get to deploy 1 "Grunt".

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

Personally I found the glue I normally use for models (Tamiya Extra Thin) is not hardy enough to stick MCP models to bases. No clue why but they kept snapping off so now I use Gorilla Glue for attaching them to bases and it's perfect. Way better, especially with finicky, weirdass bases like Magneto, Storm, and other doofus models that are attached to weird poo poo.

Use Tamiya for putting the hero together, but use Gorilla Glue for attaching it to those bases. You can get both on Amazon and most hobby shops.

This is precisely what I do as well.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

i am a bad painter but I also painted my first model in February and this is where I am now (I am never repainting that horrible Doc Ock I did with a friend's craft-store paint and dollar-store brushes, it is unspiration incarnate (also no you can't see it))

Lookin' good!

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

If you're addicted to chucking terrain, look into magneto and rogue.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Hoboskins posted:

Can't share from my phone but Crimson Dynamos card is up. I will share it once I'm back home if its not here by then.

There you go! :)

Pretty decent 4 threat-er, and a solid Leadership.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

admanb posted:

ngl I would give strong odds they were trying for Black Cat but missed and didn't notice.

Bolt can be a real bastard when played right. He's not as brutish as alot of other 5 threat'ers, but I've seen Careless Whisper Daze/KO 3 characters in a single go, and that was massive play.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Surprised no one mentioned Silk yet.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I think they're just normal models, they went into it a bit during the stream. They're their own affiliation that also includes Cassandra Nova, they're about Dormammu sized, and you can have two of the more generic one on your roster.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an Ultimate Encounter or something, but if the sentinels were UE only I think they would have mentioned it, like they did with the Red Skull tank.

I will be that dumbass where my roster is the three Sentienels, Nimrod, Cassandra, and Trask. The rest is a smoke screen.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

just lost horribly to brotherhood with SLDD despite KOing Mags on the first activation of turn 3.
Juggs is a 6 who is missing a point of threat, his kit is just so absurd at doing everything and being self-sustaining
I've never beaten Brotherhood and at this point I have no idea what list even could.
they have a great 6 leader, the best 5 in juggs, a case for the best 4 in rogue and a top 3 in mystique
what beats that?
their pieces control the board, they murder well and they defend/sustain spectacularly
what am I supposed to do?

Sadly, the two best anti-Juggernaut pieces are Rogue or your own Juggernaut.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

my buddy's Red Skull mod is internet famous after debuting at GenCon (I made the updated card he's standing on)

Do you have more updated cards like that? It annoys me that all my cards aren't in the same orientation.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

lol it was a custom I spent like 3 hrs on in GIMP because I don't have InDesign.

Someday I'll code a usable editable png, but not today

You both did a great job!

EDIT: Yeah, if someone sent them to feeple at g mail dot com, I'd be grateful!

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Signal posted:

Sent! Let me know if you spot any errors. :D

Danke!

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Sentienels are up, and currently slated as the October release!

https://shop.asmodee.com/marvel-5-c...2f%3fcount%3d72

https://shop.asmodee.com/marvel-5-crisis-protocol-sentinel-mk-iv-cp51en

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

All I know is that there better be some amazing team tactics cards in there if they want me to start playing Cassandra Nova

I know Cassie gets a lot of flak, but she is worth her 5 threat. Being someone with an R4 attack who can't be shot back unless you're in R3 means she can position herself in places where she's safe from retaliation.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Making Zola’s whole front half one big clear piece is certainly a choice.

...Huh.

I knew the plate on his face would be clear, but...

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

About to start a tournament with Big D, because I love fun but hate winning.

My anti-Murderkitty tech is Iron Man and Helios, will.report back if it keeps Mal in check.

I poured an 18 die Helios into Mal last night, and did 7 net damage. Like a lot of other factors in MCP, the dice are pretty swingy, and I believe affect a lot of people's opinions on pieces and the game overall.

Dormammu is tons of fun, though!

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Kaza42 posted:

7 net damage is actually about average for 18 dice vs Mal. Very slightly below average by my calculations, but with that many dice the spread is pretty wide

Oh, I wasn't upset, past I got really close to dazing him, nd thought it a shame I hadn't.

The number one thing I try to impart to people trying to understand the game better is that the dice more variability than they think. This isn't Warmachine, where the math is relatively solved.

Personally, I think the swingy-ness of the dice help keep the chill vibe of the game there.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

This is an Asmodee thing, and FFG minis games had periods where items were tough to find between printings.

It's rumored that the plastic manufacturers they use also have Target as a customer, so I'm guessing their bandwidth might be competitive at times.

It's sad but a rule I made for myself about anything I cared about from Asmodee: If you want it, get it within the first 5 weeks of release, or don't see it for a year.

It's gotten better over the years, but poo poo like this just happens. Star Wars Armada was having some supply issues as well until recently.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

admanb posted:

big beats

pretty well-deserved though it could end up being a step too far. Malekith might now be viable in Steve (who's broken) but bad as a Cabal leader, which would be tragic. Still, it's definitely good for the game and should at least briefly quiet the doomers declaring that AMG no longer cares about MCP

Nothing stops AMG doomers.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Floppychop posted:

I picked up the Weapon X box, and now I'm trying to think of a way to use the terrain that came in it and have it look good.

I'm thinking of making a military base/compound, but have no idea where to get terrain that matches. I have some cargo crates, but I'm thinking other buildings and maybe some concrete or chain link fencing is needed. I'm kind of spinning my wheels in general though on the planning and what else to get.

Check cheap toys at dollar stores. Some army men stuff might be scale appropriate.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

yeah, "Wolverines shack in Alberta" is the mood to go for, wooden Lincoln log building, rocks and pine tree scatter

the large pile of empty Labatts is considered Size 2

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

how the gently caress do you do flames?

got my human torch and im just terrified

I almost exclusively use speed paints because I'm bad at painting and have no idea how to layer the colors

also he's my Swiss army knife for dormammu so I want to use the same teal/purple color scheme

Flames work opposite the way you usually paint, with the brightest colors towards the source of the fire, and darker as you move out.

However, Human torch typically is shown has having a red body, so take a red body, with yellow flames, mixing orange and then red as you move away from the body (and a bit of black if you want it to look extra charred.)

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

As a frequent Red Skull, Master of Hydra player, I can tell you I do *not* want Psylocke near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

John Romero posted:

I wonder if they’re gonna chill on releases for a minute to let shatterpoint breathe. or champions, not sure how closely asmodee manages them in relation to FFGs stuff

I doubt Champions competes with them for release times, but Shatterpoint might.

I wouldn't expect too much of a reprieve, though. People shouted "dead game" when models had a delay during shipping crises during the pandemic, and that was like 1-2 months of delays.