Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I bought this game probably when it was released but simply didn't play it until the past couple weeks. It's fun! I had a very fumbly game with my kid using the intro scenario in the box, then had a real game at the local store against Dormammu and Too Many Wizards. I lost but was only 2 points down so feel pretty good about it anyway.

I'm really enjoying the mechanics, the game does a good job of capturing some of the cinematic feel of fights while still feeling like good mechanics. Currently addicted to throwing terrain at people, because it's awesome.

Obviously I already want to expand, and while it makes sense to build on the Avengers of Cabal from what you get in the core, I'm a sucker for just getting characters I like, so I was thinking about getting the two Spider boxes to basically give me most of Web Warriors. I think my other inclination would be for Uncanny X-Men just because of nostalgia, but without Angel and Iceman it just doesn't feel the same. Any reason not to dive into Web Warriors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Web warriors are super cool, just be aware that they trend towards a more control-focused play style which may or may not be your thing.

Also Black Cat is bananas good so definitely get that box.
I looked up their cards and it's very fast with a lot of movement and placement stuff, so it definitely seems more complicated than 'hit it with a truck'. But it also looks fun and very good for the objectives you grab. I guess Venom is the real tank/beater of the affiliation?

Feeple posted:

If you're addicted to chucking terrain, look into magneto and rogue.
I'm impressed by Magneto's variable-power throw, and Rogue is definitely a powerhouse. I'm allowed to include them in rosters where they aren't the majority affiliation right? I am not sure that makes sense but it's good to know.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That's a cool idea, looks like it came out well! I think it helps for the two to have different silhouettes, Ghost Spider kind of accomplishes that with her hood (and also a more dramatically different color scheme).

I have been toying with the idea of doing some light conversion work on Black Cat in order to paint her as Night Spider, Felicia Hardy's spiderverse identity:

Obviously she'd still function the same in-game. I don't think it would be too confusing? It seems like people generally do a little less converting than other miniature games but there are also fewer models so it's not hard to keep track of.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Played my second game against Dormammu yesterday, and actually managed to win this time (on points). I learned my lesson from the first time I faced him and didn't really try to brawl with him at all - instead I just gave him space and tried to focus down other team members, allowing me to eventually pull ahead on points simply because he couldn't cover the whole board. It was a really close thing and I still only won because my opponent ran too hot on power and took damage across his team. Both times have been a lot of fun though!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I love most of that but I am not at all sold on Malekith, and also super-hoping that this doesn't reflect a pivot into giant-monster-type characters, because it's something that largely turned me off other games in the past.

I am happy with Hydra grunts though! Now Bob will have some pals!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

While MCP does create a lot of temptation to switch/try affiliations, it's also pretty solid about making them easy to get into and allowing you to use many of your current pieces with the new affiliation. The amount of overlap is pretty healthy, and you can always choose to bring characters out of affiliation if you want/need. So in that sense it's a lot kinder than some games!

Also that you basically only need 5-6 pieces to play an affiliation anyway.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Obviously Squirrel Girl gets released in a rivals box with Dr. Doom.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Ok, so now I need to know which character cards to use for my Spiderverse proxies of Peni Parker and Spider-Man Noir. I guess if I want to stay in-faction Venom is the only 50mm base, and maybe Dare Devil for Noir? If I'm willing to go out of faction any suggestions? Because both of these look great:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hulkbuster for Peni is an amazing idea, although the print is for a 50mm base and Hulkbuster is 65mm. I could rebase it without it being a huge issue, or possibly scale up the print? I don't know how well that works (I would need to remove the upscaled Peni, but that's fine if I was putting a separate one on a 35mm anyway).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I think the base is integrated, just based on a few actual prints of the other figures I've seen. I don't know how hard it would be to print without it, or to alter it before printing, because I know very little about 3D printing stuff! I suppose in a pinch you could just print it and then expand/replace the base with old-fashioned methods. I am going to have to figure out where to get it printed so maybe whoever does that can help.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I actually asked one of the sellers and they say the base is a separate piece, so I'm in business!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Making some progress on my core box:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Looks good! I like the base detailing, the little grass additions are a nice contrast. I just picked her up as well, did not appreciate how big Embiggened was until I assembled the set. I'm going to try using her with the Web Warriors.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I regret that I don't know much about them either. You could also try using something like white and a dark blue? I see they used white and black in the comic versions a good deal.

My Spiderverse proxies arrived, earlier than expected! Peni Parker and SP//dr end up being a reasonable size for the 65mm base - I am going to need to transfer the rubble onto the larger base because the robot looks odd without it:

With 50mm Doc Ock and 65mm Embiggened Ms. Marvel for comparison

I am probably going to leave Peni off to reflect that she is 'in mech' and also so that I can use her figure separately, which makes it a little shorter, but I think the width and mass still works. It's going to be smaller than real bruisers like Dormammu or the real Hulkbuster. I could maybe gain some height if I work with the base and give him more of a heap to stand on, but I don't know that's necessary.

I think I am going to need to give Peni something to be landing on, otherwise she's pretty teeny. That's not really bad but I'd like to give her a little more style, kind of like Miles leaping a newspaper box. I have to look and see what I have to use. Maybe even the trash barrel that comes in the core?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Played Web Warriors against Convocation today, it started out pretty well but flipped in the final turns to a loss (although very narrow). The combination of missions causing damage/incinerate effect and not being able to Spider Sense Mystic damage wore my team down, while he was able to use some healing abilities and Ancient One's spender to wipe heroes out. Had fun though and learned a lot for a rematch!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I think the trash barrel would be great. I wouldn't buy it if you weren't already planning to, but the Crashed Sentinel terrain box comes with a little sprue that's a mailbox and another newspaper box. You might be able to ask around and find one someone isn't using, if you've got a community around.

This was great advice, someone in the local group was able to help me out! So good thinking.

Next step on this project: I am slightly unhappy that SP//dr isn't quite big enough to live up to the 65mm and the Hulkbuster proxy, strongly considering scaling up the print to make it natively 65mm and proportionally larger. I know very little about 3D printing so I have to talk to someone about if the detail would drop too badly, but given that its a robot I think it would be ok?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Super pumped for more web warriors, even though I am not sure who they might be. Scarlet Spider? Superior Spider-Man? Firestar?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

In the newspaper comics, JJJ literally bought/stole an old Iron Man suit so that he could try and hunt down Spider-Man, let's hope that makes it into the game:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am still a pretty new player so I can't offer you specific list/model help, but are you doing a post-game breakdown with your opponent? Whenever I start a game I tend to tell my opponent that I'm working on this list and would appreciate their feedback at the end. Usually people are pretty happy to spend the extra 10-15 minutes talking about what happened and where I made mistakes or poor choices. Especially when you are playing against someone who is hypercompetitive, they might have specific ideas or insight on where you missed a chance to turn the game or fed into their strengths.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I got the upscaled print of SP//dr, which is much more appropriate to proxy as Hulkbuster and really justifies the 65mm base size:

Still not as tall as Embiggened Ms. Marvel, but considerably more substantial in every other direction. If I wanted I could work on unfolding it a little bit for the height, but I think I'm happy

I am going to keep using the Peni from the smaller print scale, though. The version from the upscaled print is almost as large as Miles and that makes her anime head a frighteningly huge melon. The original version makes a good size for making her look younger than the rest, and also fits the scaling from Into the Spiderverse better.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It seems like a weird choice not to have a clear screen and the rest of the front a separate regular piece, unless they decided that made it a lot harder to avoid fogging/glue disasters? But now it's going to be harder for people to prime. It's not like they don't split things up into tons of pieces on the regular.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

There is nothing wrong with that site, but I prefer Cerebro (https://cerebromcp.com/) because you can also use it to build rosters. If you bother to register you can also add your collection, and then when you build it will only show you options you actually own.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Some of the assembly is definitely tricky, and a lot of MCP figures are skinnier than typical 40k or other lines which can make it worse.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Finally, it's Crossbones day to shine!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, people were talking about it at the local store. Apparently even hard to get off distributors? Not sure what is going on there.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Well then one of the Blade-buyers should sell me Moonknight for my Web Warriors list!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

My local store is having a tournament, although that might be overselling it a little - it's going to be the same people that show up every week, only we'll play in organized rounds and the store is extended hours for it. I've been playing consistently for a little while and have decided to see how I fare!

This is my roster at the moment:

Amazing Spider-Man
Black Cat
Black Widow
Captain Marvel
Doctor Octopus
Ghost-Spider
Ms. Marvel
Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
Spider-Man (Peter Parker)
Venom

Obviously working with Web Warriors, this is all the members I have right now. I do have the Core box if any of those are better additions.

Secure:
Riots Spark Over Extremis 3.0
Portals Overrun City with Spider-People
Infinity Formula Goes Missing!

Extract:
Skrulls Infiltrate World Leadership
Spider-Infected Invade Manhattan
Struggle for the Cube Continues

Not a lot of options here, I could substitute in Deadly Meteors but that's the only other card I have.

Tactics:
A Better Tomorrow
Advanced R&D (R)
All Webbed Up
Aunt May's Wheat Cakes
Brace for Impact (R)
Fan Club
Lethal Protector
Mission Objective
One-Two Punch
Spider-Tracker

This is where I am the least confident; I do have the 2022 card pack so I have a fair number of alternatives, but I am terrible with Tactics cards. I find that lots of the sort of situational ones like Trip Up I just never find the right moment to use, so I have been leaning more on cards that are part of a definite plan. Realistically I should probably drop Fan Club because I'm less likely to have both Marvels in the team, so maybe that's a slot to use.

I would appreciate any advice! I am pretty sure I'll be seeing a broad range of other teams, including X-Men, X-Force, Convocation, Asgard, Cabal, possibly Defenders, Hydra, or Dormammu.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

admanb posted:

Recalibration Matrix is a decent 10th card that's just generically good.

Shrecknet posted:

for a team as power hungry as web warriors, no matter the cost seems good, especially for venom since he has a self heal
Thanks, these are both good suggestions!

Dawgstar posted:

Captain Marvel with the WW? Interesting. Any special reason or just thematic since Carol and Peter are buddies?
Really, there's a lot of theme element in it - Miles and Kamala are buds, Peter and Carol are buds, Carol is Kamala's mentor/inspiration. So I like the theme for filling out the team. I started with the core box and went into Web Warriors, so initially I just had Peter, Miles, and Gwen and was filing out the team with core choices and ended up using her when I found out she had a new/better card. I also used Ultron in a similar way, who is maybe a better choice if you aren't consistently getting Binary Form up.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I have never attempted it, but cel-shading scheme sounds like it would be cool to try! I definitely understand the motive to try and make your guys look distinct from everyone else, it's a little tricky when there are sort of clearly expected schemes. If not that, I definitely think alternative schemes are possible, especially if you take the time to look through comic references.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Seeing as I posted the list for advice I thought I would share my tournament results from the weekend. I ended up going 1-3, which is not great but I don't feel terrible about it as my first competitive event ever.

Game 1 was against Hydra, playing Infinity Formula and the Worthy extract. This ended up being a nice set up for me, as it was a pretty wide spread I could take advantage of, and both Crisis were feeding me power - always nice for Web Warriors. Amazing Spider Man picked up two Hammers and walloped anyone who came close, giving me my only victory.

Game 2 was against Asgard, playing Spider Infected and Inheritor Portals. Asgard are tough, and them starting with 2 power meant they could hit both crisis in the first turn where I had to choose. I made a mistake in my activation that let them grab one more of the Infected, and although Venom ate Thor and Black Cat swiped an Infected back, I couldn't quite catch up. I lost this 16-18, but I knew exactly where I went wrong and still could have won so I feel ok about it.

Game 3 was against Shield, playing Infinity Formula and Struggle for the Cube. I hate playing Cube because most of WW are already a little fragile so having Extracts feed them damage is really rough. I tried to counter this by having Venom hold them, but then he got pincushioned by Hawkeye and those flipped over. I would like to blame dice for this lose; Iron Man triggered every Push he needed to shove me off Secures, and Captain Marvel managed to fail to kill the Shield Agents (I rolled 4 skulls on Energy Blast, and then whiffed her Strike too.) I also know I misplayed several times by going for hits instead of focusing on points, and it landed at 16-12.

Game 4 was against Spider Foes, and the other guy had played Web Warriors extensively so knew exactly what my number was. We were playing Skrull Infiltrators and Mutant Madman; his very first activation was to move Black Cat up and find the Skrull. I wasn't able to put her down that round, she immediately bolted, and I never really recovered. Even if that hadn't happened, I don't think I would have won this - he knew exactly what all my pieces did and how to beat them (Goblin energy-bombed Venom out in one round) and I didn't know his well enough (my first time seeing Goblin and Lizard). I lost 16-9, and this is the only one I feel really bad about, because I have no idea how I would have come out on top short of just insane rolls.

Overall I finished 11 out of 13, which is... pretty bad, but I'm glad that I came out of my first event with a victory and two other solid games. Hopefully next time will be better! I would really like to be able to get some alternative crisis to use in my sets, wish there was a better way to do that than buying box sets I don't want. I am aware that I can see the cards online easily and could print them, but I don't know how that plays for events and stuff. AMG, please let us buy a crisis card pack, and also some sort of token set - I get frustrated not having them myself, especially since they gave Ultron Incinerate and that token isn't in the core.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I got Slow tokens from the Miles & Gwen box, pretty sure you get them with Amazing & Black Cat too. I also got a couple with She-Hulk.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The timing element of MCP is pretty intricate, but it's also laid out pretty clearly in the expanded rules (page 25-26). Basically there is a step where characters take damage and gain power (12) and then the attack is resolved in the following step (13). So if you take damage and gain power, you can use that on a Reactive that has been triggered before the attack is considered resolved. I don't think there are many effects that trigger in that spot besides The Age of Ultron and Deal with the Devil; Bob's But HOW?! is also in that space, but requires no power.

You do need to be attentive to if things trigger on target, modify dice, before damage, or after resolved, because it can get a little complicated if there are multiple effects at different steps.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Did you happen to ask why? I wonder if it might have been something besides game health/sales.

My local store has a pretty health community, it's smaller than the big game like 40k and AOS, but larger than many of the other games. We normally have around six people out any given game day and managed to pull in 15 for a tournament at the store.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

AMG seems pretty willing to revisit game material for tweaks and adjustments as the game needs, so I think they'd add to affiliations of they felt it was needed - fortunately the game design means that not being in-affiliation doesn't stop you taking anyone specifically, so it's probably not a high priority to fix.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

John Romero posted:

https://shop.asmodee.com/marvel-5-c...ss%2520games%2F

sucks that they're reusing the starter spidey but i think it still ends up being a decent deal for the other 3 and updated cards

It makes sense because right now the only way to get Spider-Man is to buy the core. The core is a good deal, but we see a number of people who want to join up the local community and play, and unless you want to play Avengers or Cabal the core has limited options for you, and you might not care about the terrain if you're playing at a store. So now at least people who want to start on Web Warriors have a good in that includes that character.

Especially if they're buffing him to make him a better deal for 4 threat.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, both seem like easy matches for Web Warriors. Eddie also gets Guardians, Jess probably A-Force and SHIELD too.

Just go all in and make Spider-Woman in faction for Web Warriors, A-Force, SHIELD, and Hydra.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Agent Venom is an excellent argument for using magnets to anchor and transport miniatures.

Dying to see the cards for those two. I mean I am getting them even if they are trash, but would like them to not be!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

Get one of these from like, Michael's / Jo-Ann / sometimes Walmart. Bonus if you wait until after Xmas and get them on clearance.

This sounds like a pretty good all-in-one solution for hauling stuff around! I don't usually have to bring terrain around but nice to know you can manage some extra stuff.

Lucinice posted:

I keep my magnetized MCP minis in cookie tins
Right now I use a tin lunchbox, I can fit 17 characters in there so it's a full roster and spares. But rules, measures, etc go separately.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I can't imagine who else it would be besides Beta Ray. This does make that release list seem pretty confirmed. Which means we can still expect:

Vulture and Shocker (Spider-Foes) Emma Frost and Phoenix (X-Men, I guess Brotherhood for Emma?) Squirrel-Girl, Mephisto, Echo, Isaiah Bradley, and Gwenpool

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Emma Frost has worked with the X-Men more than Phoenix ever did (unless we're getting Rachel-Summers-from-Excalibur-Phoenix). Phoenix would honestly be a better fit in Dark Dimension than anywhere else as a second leader, because she is literally a godlike being who has no allegiances.

You're completely right, I just immediately associate Phoenix with X-Men and my brain will not process how long Emma has been X-affiliated instead of a villain. Dark Dimension would be an interesting place/option for Phoenix. The rumor list was for both Phoenix and Dark Phoenix, so maybe we'll see them in differing affiliations as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If you were going to try to replace it, I wouldn't go that way - I'd get the smallest drill bit I could manage, drill into her hand, and use it to lodge a thin stiff wire - probably guitar string. Then use that to build on a small amount of green stuff as needed, if the wire alone wasn't sufficient.

She does have ridiculous small claws, I think everyone I know with her has broken them.