Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Arzaac posted:

Please, please bring Cookey along, just look at that adorable little bastard!

POWERDARK

(Edit: My vote's still for Gidget, just wanted to emphasize that move name.)

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I can't remember, is Gramps a joke bot or are his stats actually adequate? If so, use him. We need some :corsair: action!!

Monk E
May 19, 2009
SumiSu because those are the eyes of a killer.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
What's the best thing to pair with our large toilet son? Food! Cookey is smart enough to avoid cross contamination, I'm sure

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I ended up going with a party of Johnny, Cookey, SumiSu, and Gidget.

So, fun fact! SumiSu, who is an Arms Robopon, can evolve into a Boot Robopon! That means any software and parts you put on her can no longer be removed when she evolves!

It's not a big deal in the scheme of things, and she does have a third-stage evo that may end up going back to Arms or whatever, but that is a pretty baffling game design choice! Then again, I still can't make sense of this game.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Everyone's feet when looking sideways are so comically long that i can't help but see them as tank tracks, just scooting around.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mega64 posted:

Then again, I still can't make sense of this game.

In the beginning, there was Drakengard! Now, there is Robopon!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 8 - "You're a contemptible little boy!"

Today we'll get a look at all the new Robopon we've accumulated. Gramps has high stats but a limited moveset that's hamstrung by being Boot-type.

This Sunny has some more useful software than the one we started with.

If the Robopon's not a Boot type, we can steal all their software! A Robopon must always have a Part, so we can't steal that unless we replace it with some cheap filler part, and it's probably not worth the effort to do so.

Also the software doesn't sell for much but it's better than nothing!

I catch a lot of duplicates, so I sell all the duplicates until I have one of each. Except for Gidget, I need a second one to start the trade side quest once I feel like doing it.

This means I sell the starter our grandpa gave us, which I don't really feel that bad about to be honest.

Gidget has some low stats, which will definitely come up later on.

SumiSu has high speed due to her current part. Otherwise her stats are also quite bad.

These particular software have some weird synergy. Timer is an odd one since it's much more valuable than any other software, probably due to its gimmick of the user being able to counter-attack for half-damage in addition to their normal attack. Jolt does the same thing.

Guard reduces incoming damage. I haven't really tested this, but Speed may be a priority move? I'm just guessing on that one.

B-Bot is pretty tanky, it seems!

There's Cookey, who has the DEATH-H part. Naturally I assume it's DEATH HAND. His current software adds some special moves, in particular Chaos, which is a gimmicky move I'll go into later.

Sputer is our first Move-type Robopon, so he has high speed. His part gives him a nice Attack bonus, too, though his initial software is lacking.

Here's the team I went with. Cookey got several votes so he was a gimme, so other than that it was about who interested me more, and I decided to go with some Robopon that have evos to dump Light Balls into.

Cookey's loadout is unchanged since I find his moveset appealing. Gidget gets the Magic part that Bella had, then I get her some tier-2 elemental software that combine for some useful special moves.

SumiSu, I gave a Shotgun because I liked the idea. I also gave her the same parts that Ralph had.

There's eight trainers in the big tower, and they're all optional, but I need to get my new team up to snuff, so let's challenge them!

Sure looks that way!

Molbot seems to be, uh, a mole robot.

Gidget, an Ice type, is weak to Molbot's ground moves.

And here's where things fall apart with Gidget. She has some strong moves, but I simply could not land them. Her accuracy is abysmal, which means between that and her fragile nature she usually doesn't live long.

I also forgot to fix SumiSu's CPU. Oops!

At first glance, Chaos seems terrible.

...circuit!

But it's a weak move with a chance of an insta-kill. It doesn't seem to work most of the time, though, but fortunately Cookey's other moves generally work fine.

Cookey's definitely the strongest of the three, though that's likely due to him not having an evolution like the other two do.

...I've met. Leave me alone!

And if you talk to her again...

...little boy!

Anyway, that one battle wrecked my team.

That's better!

Of course there's a Dogopon.

I think this sets up some weird effect where attacking Fetch deals damage to yourself.

The rare time one of Gidget's moves actually hits!

...inflicted wound!

And I believe Psyco takes effect here.

That said, Gidget wins a battle. This is the last one for a long while.

And if you talk to her again...

Amron has the title of the Legend 6. What?

I can and I am!

This is the Rock Star model.

She has a Gidget of her own, and it goes as expected.

...anyway!

Talk again:

You probably didn't know this but, there are a lot of strong girls here...

She's not wrong, these are all single-Robopon trainers but their Robopon are tough to crack if you're not properly prepared or aren't using an overleveled toilet.

This is all she says.

SumiSu mirror match!

Between that and her main attack, our SumiSu gets the upper hand here.

On the second floor, there's another bear.

These "rewards" are terrible.

Kiss seems to be an HP-drain attack, something I really should implement in the future.

Time for the rest of the trainers here! Unfortunately, they mostly repeat dialogue from the last four.

Betty is the evolved form of Gidget. I'm not really sure why.

That said, I like this Betty's moveset.

This model also specializes in recovering HP.

But she's no match for a master chef! Cookey's pretty solid so far.

This is the only male of the bunch.

Loopy is the evolved form of SumiSu. Yep!

This move is weak but inflicts Curse. Otherwise, no issue.

Next is Rex. And that's it!

The last trainer has a new sprite but is otherwise identical text-wise to the first little girl we bullied.

Her Robopon is a cellphone, and it's one of the more brutal ones I've faced.

It rips through SumiSu and Gidget, though our Iron Chef eventually turn it into dinner.

This entire time, I've been dumping my energy balls into SumiSu, and with a bit of light grinding she finally hits 100.

So now we have a Loopy of our own!

She gets a nice stat boost and suddenly becomes more useful in general. She even has another evolution to go!

What's dumb though is that she's now a Boot type, so I cannot change the Parts or Software I gave her as SumiSu. Seems dumb to me to have an Arms Robopon evolve to a Boot form, but it's not like I gave her anything valuable, so I'll live.

Also her EXP to Next Level glitched, though it fixes itself eventually.

To actually advance in the game, we have to go through here.

This is a teleporting TV.

In the basement is another woman.

Sara: ...enter! You must turn back, now!! Or, are you going to try and force your way through?

Sara's clearly an important NPC since she has actual effort put into her sprite.

Not a lot of effort, but some!

She also has a Tacbot, and Gidget does her usual "Miss and die" routine.

Loopy isn't as fragile as SumiSu was, though, and takes down Tacbot with ease. It seems evolving Gidget should be my next priority!

Don't get mad, get loopy.

Nowhere to go but this TV. But where will we end up...?

Sure, why not. Robopon!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've got most of the next update recorded already, but feel free to make suggestions whenever you want to see different Robopon or whatever and I'll try to rotate as necessary. I'll be grabbing some more Robopon in the next update so there'll be some more choices coming up!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Well, hell, I sure hope Gidget's evolution picks up some accuracy. This was a pretty sad display for magic Inspector Gadget girl so far.

Cookey, though, really seems to be pulling his weight with ease.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We need dogbot, pronto

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Slaan posted:

We need dogbot, pronto

:agreed:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Does removing software, selling the software, and selling the 'empty' robopon give the same amount of money as selling the robopon with the software installed?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

One thing that always struck me, and one of the larger differences from Pokemon, is how the evolutions can be so drastically different. A lot of them are visually similar, but stuff like Gidget -> Betty? Very strange.

On that note, you should use a bot that can evolve so we can see more of this game's insane designs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh yes, my favourite cartoon, Sad Fish.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

:smith: the fish.

I also agree with the idea of showing off as many evolutions as possible!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

But Doctor, I am Piscesliacchi.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

He... He never find Nemo :smith:

Monk E
May 19, 2009
I see this is where the designer finally gave up completely and just tagged in a copy of mad libs.

Monk E fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 15, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm still hang up on why half the enemies have simple black/white-sprites in a GBC-game? Or why some of the color-choices for the sprites and environments look so terribly ugly. Was this planned for the normal GB and then just roughly ported halfway through development?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 9 - "That's good eatin', kid."

So last time, we went to a broadcasting tower, beat up some woman's cellphone, then went into a TV and ended up in a robot's house because Robopon.

...when you leave, even if it's not your own house! The TV switch is located on the side of the treasure chest. Thanks, bye.

We have to turn it off to leave the house.

You can turn it back on, but eh.

Once we leave, we can't re-enter. It's just another one of those boarded-up homes playing music we've been seeing everywhere. I'm suspecting there's some connection between them and Amron...

Anyway, we're somewhere new, so let's explore!

...dark caverns!

The dark caverns are our next destination, but we're not equipped to visit them yet.

...tower.

Really seems like Amron's brainwashing people into being her fans or something. Nobody seems to really care, so I don't really care either. All I need to do is kick her rear end and take her title of Legend Six.

...everybody's idol, Amron, is from this village?

This is Vanza Village, by the way.

...was a dangerous chemist! Rumors say that he died! He was also a Robopon Pro!

This person sure is excitable.

We need a lamp first to explore the caves.

I know, RPG scaling and all, but it seems especially jarring when all the usual repair labs and shops are supposed to be in these tiny huts.

Some interesting parts. Bazooka gives a massive defense bonus, and Magic-A has a ton of RAM available (which Gidget's already been making use of). Jet/Sonar/Spiktir are all Movement parts, with Spike Tires having a pathetic 10 RAM but some otherwise good all-around stat boosts.

And there's the rest of the L2 elemental software. I hold off on all of these for now as I'm currently happy with my loadout.

...check it out!

Why? It hasn't really been working out well for me so far!

...nice... Robopon with a bad CPU are rude! But, I like the rude Robopon...

A reminder that Johnny was rude before we fixed his CPU, now he's our loyal toilet buddy.

...train. I could change the CPU, but I'd rather train them as they are... That way they will become much stronger!

There's nothing I've read that says you get better stats training "rude" Robopon. If anything, it'd be a nightmare to train them since they'll constantly ignore orders and may randomly explode. I'll gladly reprogram their brains, thanks.

There's wild Robopon on these shores!

Sure, let's roll with it.

Gidget is still Gidget.

Our first Sea-type, and a rather odd one at that.

There's a lamp shop in Caleyu Town (I can't remember these names), so let's go see if they actually have any lamps in stock!

...will my lamp do? This one is very special. I'll let you have it on one condition...

What the hell kind of lamp shop is this?

It doesn't seem intuitive, but the tides have gone down back in Vanza.

This lets you encounter wild Robopon more easily, and also you can smash A to find random items. Seaweed recovers a minimal amount of HP and EP.

I end up finding several of these.

I find this thing, and Gidget wrecks it. Gidget either misses or destroys, there's no real middle ground with her.

This apparently raises the encounter rate for rare Robopon, something I'm sure I'll appreciate later.

Not sure what the point of these are.

The sea creature living in our company's lobby has been looking for one of these!

Here's a couple more Robopon. I end up missing one of the more common ones while exploring.

Pearls are rare, but sell pretty well.

Anyway, I catch a crab. Sure, let's design crab robots and have them scurry around the shores for no real reason.

For now, let's take care of some random stuff.

...Everybody looks great. Thanks, I'm so relieved.

And...that's it. After that he spouts the same dialogue he did in the first update. There's no reward or anything, we just do something nice for him.

It's fine though because that Pearl we found just took care of any money problems we could've had for at least the next few sections of the game. It'll certainly help with building up our company and Robopon!

Toona's pretty underwhelming as a Boot-type, but he can evolve so I let him hang around in the party over Johnny, who's pretty overleveled and could use a break. He'll be back, though!

Sandy's also boring but doesn't evolve so it gets benched.

Let's get our lamp!

Thank you, thank you! I'll eat it right now... Mmmmmm... That's good eatin', kid. Well, here's your present! My ancient oil lamp.

If you don't mind, would you bring me some more seas grapes? I'm very, um, fond of them.

Well, we've got a couple extra, so why not?

...I don't give you anything? That's great, kid!

Granted, we get nothing out of doing so besides feeding the world's worst store owner.

Once you run out, his dialogue changes.

It's um-um, good! You hopefully can find one in the shallow waters.

Good luck with your failed business!

Getting the lamp apparently triggers the school being closed during night, which leads to Robopon showing up there.

We already saw Leachy at Vanza, and Screwy in a few fights, but they're here as well.

Zombot's new, though, and specializes in absorbing HP.

It's literally a robot zombie wandering inside the school at night. How the hell is that not a safety issue?

Especially since it literally absorbs health by lobbing bombs?

I was wondering what the deal was with Screwy, but I wasn't expecting that. Gotta say, that's a pretty sweet bio.

Too bad Screwy himself sucks, but maybe his evolved form will be better. He's on the backburner for now.

I also use this opportunity to grind energy balls for Gidget.

She's supposed to be a healer, but screw that, she's going to stay a powerful ice mage that wrecks everything in her path, assuming she can land a hit. Plus she can still evolve, so she'll hang around the party still for now.

Right now, my current party is Cookey, Toona, Loopy, and Betty.

Next time, we'll unlock a new floor in our company that should make my life a whole lot easier!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Libluini posted:

Was this planned for the normal GB and then just roughly ported halfway through development?

It was either rushed out the door or they didn't have enough artists. So the artist(s) blocked in a few sprite ideas for people but with so many robopon sprites to do they got stuck making those look as good as possible and never got a chance to finish the humans, so most unimportant NPCs got stuck with placeholder art, which is why Old Lady Groceries is teaching school.

And why they weren't able to finish the schoolgirl's piece.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

And why they weren't able to finish the schoolgirl's piece.

Hell yeah.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Mega64 posted:

She's supposed to be a healer, but screw that, she's going to stay a powerful ice mage that wrecks everything in her path, assuming she can land a hit. Plus she can still evolve, so she'll hang around the party still for now.

Bah, who needs healing in this game anyways? Maximum power is the only way to go!

I just noticed: is her umbrella a spear? So now she's a 50's - 60's movie star with a boar spear, which is still pretty cool.

Also, are the parts/moves what determine accuracy? As much as I love the loose cannon, it'd be nice if we did have one move we knew we could rely on for hitting enemies.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mega64 posted:

I think Betty is meant to be a race queen.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The biggest challenge is always choosing just one teaser image.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
My initial reaction to most of these sprites is Hank Hill's voice in my head saying "That boy ain't right."

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Found my old copy of this, but my game boy color has an issue with the screen. Luckily I still have a super game boy, and I was surprised to learn that they made one of those custom SGB themes for this game.

They really had high hopes for this weird little game.

Also I had forgotten about this game's music. And how much better it is since almost every screen transition seems to cause it to start its loop over. Definitely not a ticket to madness, no sir.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

copy posted:

Found my old copy of this, but my game boy color has an issue with the screen. Luckily I still have a super game boy, and I was surprised to learn that they made one of those custom SGB themes for this game.

They really had high hopes for this weird little game.

That's a really nice-looking theme. Looks far better than the rest of the game, in fact.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
So the desire for vengeance can actually transform broken Robopon into Roboundead Robominations? The world of Robopon is darker than it looks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 10 - "Why am I here!?"

And so we start things off by unlocking one of the more useful features of this game, the dispatch center.

This NPC spends like fifteen text boxes going into the mechanics of this, so to summarize, you can send a party of four Robopon in your Garage (i.e. not in your current party) on a dispatch to one of the towns you've already discovered.

Distance from Capri Town, the Robopon's levels, and the time spent determines how effective this goes. If successful, your Robopon may gain levels.

And of course you can cheese it by changing the time.

...level during their journey.

This one didn't work out this time.

I try again but with six hours, and this time all four of them gain a level.

I also get another floor, and this one with a rather key feature.

Would you like me to change your Robopon's name?

This is where you can rename your Robopon. You don't get the option to rename them when you capture them, only in this area. And you only get six characters to work with, with only letters available.

That said, I'm down to rename some Robopon if you all have any good suggestions! I stick to defaults for now.

We also get a free dream shell because why not.

All that done, back to Vanza for now!

I don't know why this parasite is Land-type, but there you go. Its moveset is limited, but it's not a Boot-type so we could fix it.

This fella's going on the backburner for now, though.

Here's the last shore Robopon I missed, Gigo.

Betty's no longer missing, but she certainly embodies being a glass cannon.

So, Gigo.

Gigo has some solid stats and isn't Boot-type, but my focus is to evolve as many Robopon as I can.

Leachy has a horrible moveset and is Boot-type, so best it can hope for is a fodder spot for whenever I feel like grinding for Energy Balls.

Now that I'm flush with cash, let's invest in our lab in Capri Town!

We can actually buy a Robopon here now, though it's close to double our team's average level and costs a ton.

I still buy him, though, and I'd certainly be tempted to use him if he wouldn't break the game in half. Certainly will get use in the future, though!

Also, each town's lab has a separate investment level. No idea if each one has different Robopon for sale because I'm kinda broke again.

Anyway, let's move on to today's dungeon!

This is a Fisherman.

Betty either destroys or gets destroyed. Fortunately here she does the former.

I do legit like the dialogue sometimes.

Moving on.

We've seen Chimp before, but this is the first time we can catch it. And catch it we do!

Its stats are terrible, and it's a Boot type, but at least it has some options for damage.

Also why is Chimp Holy?

Not anymore!

I like that the people here don't really hide the fact that they have no reason to be here.

Molbot also shows up here as a wild Robopon.

The left path is a dead end with a pond that heals Robopon. Which...OK, sure.

Think this one is new to us!

I grind at the healing pond for a bit until I'm able to evolve Toona.

No new moves of course, and the stats still aren't anything to write home about.

Even though Ping has another evolution, I decide to shelve him for now. Also Cookey, since he's fine but not too exciting beyond being a chef that cooks with POWERDARK. Instead I focus on evolving Sumito and go back to using Johnny as my panic button.

Along the way, I capture a Molbot.

Where are its sunglasses?

Anyway, meh stats, meh moves, and a whopping 200EB to evolve. Molbot can warm the bench for awhile.

This guy? Also a Fisherman!

Sumito's a Thunder-type, which is solid since Thunder-types have no weaknesses at all, because what is game design? Thus even with its limited moveset, Sumito can win many damage races.

Moving further down!

This is a close up of the Water Creatures that we've met so far.

This only leads to more questions.

I don't even remember what Robopon he had, though it was clearly nothing special.

Yeah...

...mesmerizing!

Sumito just barely loses the damage race here.

But that's why I carry an extra toilet around!

...the seashore!

Holy moly!

Anyway, I then save my game to eliminate random encounters and backtrack successfully.

Sumo has actual limbs!

And THAT DEFENSE! Plus another evolution on top of that!

I keep rocking this team, this time focusing on throwing my Energy Balls onto Betty.

Turns out Whacky the sentient hammer robot is too much for Sumo to handle.

Thus, toilet.

Anyway, there's a puzzle involving pushing four boulders down a hole.

But we can simplify things a bit by coming down here first.

...the hole, you can stop the flow of the water! You can't figure out this device? Give me your boots! I have an idea! Alright?

I'm going to use your boots for fishing!

...Welp.

Chances are we'll find one pair of boots while combing the Venza beach for sea grapes, and this does have an actual use beyond giving an NPC another reason to be a jerk to us.

It reduces the number of boulders you have to push from four to two!

Though you probably take more steps to talk to that guy and walking back up here than you save not pushing the two boulders.

Regardless, either way you end up with a drained lake.

...cave above? The rocks stopped the water! I can't fish anymore!

I'm so sad for you.

At any rate, now we can move on to the end of this short dungeon.

Found yet more software.

This guy's name is "Stranger".

Docbot can actually be found in the big broadcasting tower, though he's quite rare so I was never able to encounter him there.

Otherwise he's nothing too scary.

The final room is yet another TV.

So where are we going next?

The...home of the Elite One? Huh. Well then.

Next time, we go channel surfing. Oh, and continue choosing my party and what to name them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Mega64 posted:

Also why is Chimp Holy?

Because Goku, would be my guess.

Please use the mole and name it 'Groundr' like it's a budget knockoff of the Sonic cartoon baddie!

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Use Zappa, and name him Frank. :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Why in the world is naming your robots locked like that? This game is just a bunch of incomprehensible decisions wrapped in a layer of Pokemon ripoff I swear.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Panic Restaurant posted:

Yes please :haw:

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I remember trying to play the GBA sequel of this game multiple times as a kid but never getting very far. In hindsight the sequel looks even more insane so I can understand why.

I agree with the Frank Zappa suggestion.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Please use the mole and name it 'Groundr' like it's a budget knockoff of the Sonic cartoon baddie!

Panic Restaurant posted:

Done.

Anyway, played the next update. Two more and we should have the Legend Six down!

Also this isn't the weirdest Robopon I've caught for the next update.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Look, all I'm saying is that if Silicon Heaven isn't real, then where do the calculators go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mega64 posted:

Done.

Anyway, played the next update. Two more and we should have the Legend Six down!

Also this isn't the weirdest Robopon I've caught for the next update.

You don't get to namedrop a machine god without letting the player use it, Robopon. Do not disappoint me here.