Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Pyro Jack posted:

That's literally the Black Cross Fuhrer from Goranger.

That only raises further questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

megane posted:

That only raises further questions

Don't let your B-Bots grow up to be mega-Hitlers :(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Chapter 14 - "We found this well and thought we could live down here somehow..."

The broadcasting tower isn't in operation any more, so now the residents come outside. This makes the town a lot more lively!

I forgot to revisit the last couple towns after beating Amron to check for new dialogue. Some of it actually changes!

outside again...

You can also now enter all the boarded-off houses now that its residents aren't being brainwashed into liking Amron.

...from that tower just ended!?

Also all the NPCs in the big broadcasting tower are now gone.

...to our village! I'm so happy!

Amron has also returned to Vanza despite saying she was going to travel a bit.

Amron: ...is great! It's so quiet and peaceful. Everybody is nice and there's a lovely ocean...

Amron: Cody, I believe you will only get stronger and better! I'm rooting for you!

At least Amron has grown up a bit from this whole experience. Hopefully that'll be the last nefarious plan she executes.

I decide to bring along Signor, and since he has a ton of RAM and can equip software, I deck him out with some sweet stuff. Ice + Fire = Destroy, and the other two are elemental dragon breaths. Dragon breaths can be powerful, but the user loses their next turn afterwards. Imagine it like a sort of hyper beam, if you will.

I come across Ramby, the evolution of Romby down here.

This really undersells the power of the dragon breaths, but don't worry, they'll shine later.

Ramby is a tank, but being Boot means its movepool is too limited.

Anyway, our next destination is Cools Town, so let's head there.

This town is under the control of the Smiley Gang. Time to rough 'em up!

This is the only new sprite, and it's a bit odd considering the rest of the Smiley Gang is supposed to be teens or adults. But then when have these sprites ever been consistent?

The majority of them have Cycool, who's kinda strong but has a limited movepool. It wears down Sumo, but Sumo wins the damage race easily.

This one is too much for Snorks, and Sumo's too weak to keep up with another one.

At least now Signor can start shining.

Johnny has little issue with the next one, because it's freaking Johnny.

And this is where we see just how powerful dragon breaths can be. Never underestimate the power of white collar workers!

Speedy's the only different Robopon here, but it's not speedy enough to escape Signor's wrath.

Once we scare off the hooligans, an old man appears and removes the tree barrier blocking this building.

Mayor: The people of Cools Town have been hiding underground since the Smiley Group showed up! Please follow me.

And so we follow the Mayor of Cools Town underground to their secret hideout.

Mayor: The Smiley Group showed up and started causing havoc! First, they raced their bikes real fast. Then, they started breaking anything nice in the town and began terrorizing the townspeople!

Mayor: We aren't able to live above the ground. We had to flee in shame to escape them!

Mayor: Do you have any ideas, Cody?

Townspeople: That's right!

Townspeople: Don't get mad at us! We're hungry and poor!

This whole part is hilarious. Props to the localizers for doing what they can with this bizarre game.

Mayor: ...lost everything. They've even lost their will to fend for themselves... It's pitiful!

Anyway, the townspeople have lost their morale and of course it'll be up to Cody and his powerful toilet to save the day.

Maya: Oh! Was I sleeping? I'm Maya of the Elite 8. I've been on a journey looking for some cool Robopon... I'm looking for Card. I'll trade it for my Pirate! I'll wait here for you...

I'm gonna wait until I unlock all the Elite 8 members before I do this whole chain.

Mechanic: I can modify a Unibot into a Cycool. You can ride fast, even on sand! Would you like to ride a Cycool?

I say No for now, as I want to talk to everyone else first.

Mechanic: You cannot reach Grease Mountain through the desert if you don't have a Cycool!

This is the next stage of progression though so we'll have to do it eventually.

...could live down here somehow...

Eh, desperate times call for desperate measures.

There's shops for items, parts, and software, the latter being the other set of L3 elemental software.

...scoundrels above!

Finally, a decent one of these!

I also decide it's time to evolve Snorks.

And, uh...

Uhhhh

UHHHH

I think it's time for a new name for Peach.

I shared this with the Let's Play Discord, because how could I not, and this led to me discovering that this was completely intentional. Snorks is a blatant dick joke in Japanese, and Peach is a butt joke. That's not bad in itself other than this being a kids game and all (and the localizers did a fair job salvaging this), but the final evolution is a really tasteless and bad joke, which ruins the humor I would've otherwise mined from having butt and toilet robots fighting together. I'm torn on showing it off since I kinda want to be as completionist as possible, but it's a decision that can wait awhile. Plus you can always just google it yourself if you're curious.

Mechanic: ...that wicked well.

Turns out there's a mini fetch quest before we can upgrade Unibot.

It's identical to the one in the last town we visited, whose name I can't be bothered to remember.

I ran into nothing but Leachy and one Punchy, so this is the first area we can get Punchy if we hadn't already gotten one at the Illusion Village dungeon.

Hobo-Joe: ...Lazy Joe. <yawn> Unfortunately, I can't get out. ...I wonder what everyone is doing right now? <sigh>

Um, OK.

I want to go home with my family, but Joe is very nice to me so I keep him company.

The creature also gives us a dream shell.

Anyway, this area is short and simple. Time to get that upgrade!

Mechanic: Thank you!!! Okay, now I can fix your Unibot! It will only take a few moments!

Mechanic: You can even ride it in the desert.

...souped up Cycool!

Not much of a fighter with its current loadout, but that's fine for now since we can swap Robopon at will.

Mechanic: Just don't fall in the well!

This opens up Grease Mountain, which we will travel to next time.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"Johnny honey, what do you have?"

"A knife!"

"NO!"

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That's right!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly Peach is an even better joke than just being a butt. It does look like a peach, but the "sweet smelling fragance" comment makes it clearly a butt joke still. That's actually very funny!

I can't imagine how bad the next stage is but now I am extremely curious.

Also I'm never a fan of forcing you to have X thing in games where you can customize your powers/party this much, so I'm not that fond of having to get Cycool here.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Robopon designs get more and more nonsensical the longer I play.

Looks like it'll only be two more updates until we beat the Legend 5, though! Maybe things are speeding up a bit.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
Oh, come on! How bad can the next evolution actually b-

:staredog:

I regret looking that up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So I evolved Signor.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
And immediately, there was regret

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Libluini posted:

And immediately, there was regret

Robopon Sun - And immediately, there was regret

That pretty much sums up most of what we've done. The only regrets we haven't had are Cookey and Johnny- they remain the best, even now.

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019
Crowle is my new favorite Pokémon.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Mega64 posted:

So I evolved Signor.

This thing looks like a Mr. Saturn that regularly posts on 8chan.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'd consider using it for the rest of the LP if it didn't change to Boot-type and thus became doomed to be stuck with outdated parts/software down the line. Boot Robopon get outdated so drat quickly...

But for now, it's by far my strongest Robopon so it's gonna stick around awhile.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Did Grndr evolve yet? I kinda want to see what the game thinks is worth 200 evo points.

Knowing this game, it'll be a boat.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mega64 posted:

So I evolved Signor.

This is a waste of what was a fun Super Sentai reference. I'm genuinely disappointed but mostly because I expected the reference to continue instead of die there.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Dark robopriest is now a Mr. Crowle(y). This game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 15 - "Big brother! Please be my big brother!"

Now that we have Cycool, we can travel around Grease Mountain.

...with a Cycool. Do you know Speedy? It's a Robopon that can climb steep slopes!

Right above us is a steep slope. Guess what we'll have to do later!

If you walk around Grease Mountain without Cycool, you'll fall into this cave.

It has Shield software and a few new Robopon, but that's it.

We've seen Granit before, but now we can catch one!

As I mentioned before, Granit seems very familiar...

...Nope, nothing's coming to mind.

This is Pss't, the evolved form of Cadet.

A detective with a shotgun, no less!

...increased.

This is actually a good one to get, as I can disable encounters anyway by saving and doing a screen transition, so increasing the encounter rate is nice if I want to hunt down particular Robopon.

Next up is Spike, a cactus robot.

We're at the point where Boot Robopon are garbage due to their terrible move pools, though at least evolving them is painless since they don't actually have to participate to get the energy balls needed to evolve them.

Anyway, this is the route forward.

We can fight an egg robot. Get it? It's a robot, but an egg!

Seriously, Boot Robopon are such a terrible option, and it feels like over half of them are Boot type. They're decent early game, but their parts and software don't scale, so their attacks end up weak. You really do need decent software just to keep up with the foes you fight.

This is why I bring Chubba back on the roster, since she's been dependable in the past and, importantly, isn't a Boot type.

I opt for the powerful Queen move, because I respect Queen Chubba.

Anyway, this cave. We can't cross the water here, so we have to move up a few floors.

The puzzle here is to push every rock you see into the hole.

I think this is our first chance to catch Urchy?

I can't tell because all the non-insane Robopon are starting to run together.

And it's also Boot! Just wonderful!

I solve the difficult rock-pushing puzzle.

There's another puzzle here, and one that's actually decent because it's an actual puzzle. There are invisible pitalls that have you fall into an identical floor, except with the light spots designating where the pitfalls are on the first floor. It actually requires a bit of memorization and keeping track of where you're going, and the pitfalls are infrequent enough that this isn't annoying.

Near the end is more robot-healing water.

...you see Mr. Wild! Get lost!

He's a pushover.

...you won't get to Mr. Wild! Your Cycool there is useless!

So this seems to be a dead end, but if you talk to the Warrior (or maybe his name is Warrior, I can't really tell with this game) again, he'll blurt out everything you need to do to progress, because this gang is incompetent.

...riding a Cycool. You'll need a buggy like Speedy! And not just anyone can make a Speedy. I remember an old mechanic in Carol. Man, I wonder if he's still around?

...make it up.

So yeah, we're stuck here and will have to backtrack.

On the way back, I forgot to check out the very bottom of this cave, below the two identical pitfall floors.

They say there are only 7 of these treasure chests in the world, and one of them is in there. But, a wall is in the way! If only I had a bomb, I could blast through it!

Sadly, still useless to us, but something to know I guess!

Meanwhile, I think I figured out the "formula" for selling Robopon. Base evolution Robopon sell for 50G per level, while Tier-2 evo Robopon sell for 100G per level. Haven't checked the last tier yet, and also not sure about special Robopon.

Anyway, we saw that mechanic in Carol before, so let's talk to him and see what we can do about getting a Speedy.

That's why I've forgotten how to modify this Cycool into a Speedy! Go ask somebody else! ...Oh, I do remember something. Joe, my only son, may know how. But I forgot where he is...

Seventy years, huh? You'd think sentient robot technology would have progressed since then, but then this is a civilization where sentient robots did their own thing for thousands of years. The timeline makes no sense, unsurprisingly.

Anyway, we've met a Joe. Remember?

If not, Hobo-Joe a.k.a. Lazy Joe lives in the bottom of this well that's in the underground of Cools Town.

On the way to visit him, I run into the evolution for Leachy, Boobot.

This marks Robopon #50 I've gotten data for! A shame he's worthless because, you know, Boot.

Joe: Hey, you! You should modify your Cycool into a Speedy! Then you can easily ride up Grease Mountain. I can modify it for you, if you want! Just leave it to me!

...into a Speedy.

Anyway, our Cycool lasted maybe ten minutes before it got another upgrade.

The funny thing is Speedy has an actual evolution on top of the two upgrades it's gotten so far.

Since we have to use it, might as well make it combat-friendly! At least it's not Boot-type.

On another note, Signor can finally reach his final tier of evolution!

oh

And, of course, it changes him to Boot-type. He's still a powerhouse, but it means he'll be obsolete soon, probably around when I tackle the Legend Four if I had to guess.

I'm still gonna roll with him for now, because he still crushes everything with dragon breath / foot funk.

At least with Speedy, we can bypass the cave from earlier.

Also we can fight all these jerks.

Things get close here, but Crowle is able to freeze this walking gas pump and look cool doing it.

That's one shmuck down.

Gotta admit, Stinky was more than I expected to handle.

But Stinky is no match for the intense sucking force that is Johnny.

This is not a very competent gang...

This guy can actually be repeated.

He has Cycool, Speedy, and Tread, the evolved form of Speedy. Tread is tough because it can tank two Ice Breaths.

After I heal back up, I climb past where we were last stuck and continue my way up the mountain.

At this point, these jerks are barely worth talking about.

So let's keep moving.

It's nice to see Chubba out-Queen Betty.

...big brother!

I'm...flattered...?

Meanwhile, I run into another new Robopon here.

Boom is kinda dull and has a high evolution cost, but it does have one thing going for it: It's not Boot Type. I'm really hurting for new Robopon I can actually use, so it's on the short list for my rotation now.

I basically give it Chubba's move set for now, but I may have it do its own thing once I get to facing the Legend Five.

Speaking of which, we're finally close to meeting him!

Veno: ...Smiley Group. I'm not going to let you get close enough to even touch Mr. Wild! Say your prayers!

Veno has the generic biker sprite and has the same Cycool/Speedy/Tread combo that Crowle blasted through earlier. Unsurprisingly, he does the same here.

Veno: Don't think you'll win them all!

And that removes the final obstacle between use and the Legend Five.

It's time to meet Mr. Wild.

Wild: You should wear a leather jacket.

Wild: ...What!? Hey, guys! Teach this kid a lesson...

Wild: Even Veno? <gulp> There's nobody left? Yikes!!! I'm out of here!

Wild: That's funny, the engine won't start! Darn. Where's the key?...

Wild: What was that? Where did I put that blasted key?

The animation from before basically repeats here.

And a third time...

Wild: ...for you at the Robopon Dome. I'll have a special surprise waiting for you!

Yeah, somehow I'm not really worried about it.

We have to actually backtrack manually this time, but it doesn't take too long to get to Tail Castle.

Next time, we take on the Legend Five.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is just speculation, but the guy that wanted you to be his big brother may have actually wanted you to be his aniki in the original version, and this is a mistranslation of the term. While that does literally translate to "big brother", it has another meaning, and the more logical translation would've been to use said meaning: that is, he's asking you to be his boss.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

This is either a very mellow or very depressed Speed Buggy.

This is Cacnea/Cacturne, before 3rd gen ever existed, I guess.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Honestly, I think the biggest problem with this game is the fact you can evolve into a Boot type, even if you weren't already one. It just feels like the game is punishing you for liking certain Robopon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

serefin99 posted:

Honestly, I think the biggest problem with this game is the fact you can evolve into a Boot type, even if you weren't already one. It just feels like the game is punishing you for liking certain Robopon.

Yeah, this is just undeniably bad. You have no way to know what will happen post-evolution and there's no reason why something should evolve into a Boot type when being a Boot type is only a negative. I'm not sure how the people behind this game thought this was a good idea.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I can see it making sense in terms of 'ok you're done with this robopon now, time to move on to another one.'
It promotes you actually going out and catching and using other Robopon, instead of sticking with just one, pumping it full of levels and using it the entire game, unlike in Pokemon.

Nevermind that there are people who like their pokemon starters enough to do that, because Bulbasaur is the only buddy you need in Red/Blue :colbert:

But there's no telegraph or notice that it happens, which is indeed bad.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Does a boot type retain the gear you left on it or develop new gear out of nowhere? I suppose it helps to keep you from just picking an early Robopon and staying with it forever. I suppose it also represents how all technology eventually becomes obsolete no matter how beloved? That may be more effort than the game received though.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Zushio posted:

Does a boot type retain the gear you left on it or develop new gear out of nowhere? I suppose it helps to keep you from just picking an early Robopon and staying with it forever. I suppose it also represents how all technology eventually becomes obsolete no matter how beloved? That may be more effort than the game received though.

If a Robopon evolves into Boot type, it's stuck with whatever software or whatever you had on it at the time. Which, I just realized, causes another problem: you can load a Robopon up with expensive equipment, or even (god forbid) one of a kind equipment, and if it evolves into Boot type you can never get it back.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

I can see it making sense in terms of 'ok you're done with this robopon now, time to move on to another one.'
It promotes you actually going out and catching and using other Robopon, instead of sticking with just one, pumping it full of levels and using it the entire game, unlike in Pokemon.

The flip side is you can pretty much use whatever Arm-type you want the entire game since you can just constantly upgrade its Parts and Software throughout the game, like I've been doing with Johnny. I don't really know the differences for stats between Robopon since there's not much documentation for this game, but so far they seem to be pretty minor at best. The important stats are HP and EP since your best moves are expensive, as Parts can compensate for the rest.

There's a lot of weird jank and poor design decisions here, but to be fair it's not like this is the only game of its type to suffer from them, especially for a first entry. I'm really tempted to give the GBA sequels a go, as I hear they keep most of the good stuff (including the insane story) while removing a lot of the poor decisions. But I guess I'll see how I feel after I finish this game first.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I just booted up Robopon 2 to see what it's like due to this thread and it just strikes me as painfully generic even if it's a more competently done game than Robopon 1.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Deki posted:

I just booted up Robopon 2 to see what it's like due to this thread and it just strikes me as painfully generic even if it's a more competently done game than Robopon 1.

Don't worry, although it starts a little dull, it eventually gets to even more bafflingly insane heights than 1. It's also actually translated really well, with some legitimately well-written and hilarious scenes as the game goes on.
Also an interesting note, while the two versions retain the usual Pokemon-style exclusivity for each, they're also a difficulty selection too; Ring version is much easier than the actually fairly challenging Cross version. Cross also has the way better starters :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If I do tackle the sequels, then I'll probably go Cross then. That won't be until Fall or so though, as I'm gonna take a break after this one.

Also, I'm not dead, just lazy. I'm gonna go ahead and finally work on that next update now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 16 - "Cool! This strange guy gave me a memory ring!!"

Before we fight the Legend Five, we need to prepare. Boom's joining up for this fight because I'm sick of Boot Robopon, and I gear it up appropriately.

Johnny's not working well anymore as a defensive juggernaut, so I opt for more offense. As usual, I check a list of software combinations and see what moves sound cool because none of them have actual descriptions.

I'm also bringing Chubba and Crowle, as Chubba's done well with the set-up I gave her, and Crowle is still very powerful for this section of the game and probably will be for a bit longer.

It's time to take on the Legend Five, Mr. Wild.

Wild: It's the Dosbot we took from you! You're gonna scrap this cute little Robopon?

Wasn't expecting Mr. Wild to look like that, honestly. Change that headpiece into eyebrows and he'd kinda look like The Monarch...sort of.

He expects us to give a crap about the Dosbot we had for five seconds.

We show no mercy.

This is Snipes.

That was Snipes. Didn't get a single attack in!

Next up is Mack.

It puts up a fight, but Crowle is more than happy to sweep this team. Dragon breath is strong, folks!

His last Robopon is Deemo, which I'm guessing is the evolved form of Snipes just purely based on appearances.

Crowle did a fantastic job taking out 3/4's of Mr. Wild's team, but he does lose turns if he doesn't outright KO the Robopon, and all that extra damage from Dosbot and Mack caught up to him.

Oh yeah I forgot to fix Boom's CPU. Oops.

Not that it really matters.

Chubba saves the day here, as her holy abilities overwhelm Deemo and secure us the victory. She even gains two levels in the process!

Wild: ...outgrown it already!

Dosbot is ours now!

Wild: ...do, come to Grease Mountain.

No big speech or anything here. Mr. Wild's a surprisingly graceful loser.

Tail: ...the Legend 4. He lives in the town of Apollo. Apollo is a horrible town!

Tail: But be strong! Soon, you will be facing me...

We're one step closer to our dream!

Our new Robopon is a good step up from what we've been dealing with recently. Then again I'm just happy it's not a Boot type.

But more importantly, it lets us dive underwater, unlocking some interesting new areas.

Since this update would be pretty short if I ended it here, let's get some exploring done!

This underwater section consists of four maze-like rooms arranged in a square, with Tail Castle warping us to the northeast square.

There's plenty of wild Robopon around here, of course, including more Dosbot.

Memories are permanent stat boosts for specific stats that you can give a Robopon.

Needless to say, I'm feeding them all to Johnny because he's my ace.

Hydro is actually the final form of Toona and Ping.

Not a bad end for what started as a professional cartoon star.

I run across a Ribbot, which is the final form of the onion-looking Robopon Rootix. I don't know why.

I benched Boom because it sucks for Dosbot, but I need something now to take Energy Balls since the rest of my Robopon are fully-evolved, so might as well grind some for Egger.

This underwater area connects every pool of water we've seen, so it's a kind of fast travel system, or would be if we couldn't accomplish the same thing with the world map.

SubRio is the evolved form of Urchy, the evil ball of tentacles we caught somewhat recently.

Rooter is the halfway point between Rootix and Ribbot.

It also annihilated poor Johnny.

I do finally catch a Ribbot of my own, though. The Robopon here have pretty high levels!

At this point, I just disable encounters so I can explore and loot.

I find a really good part with great stat boosts and a huge amount of RAM. The problem is none of my Robopon can seem to use it! I'll have to experiment with it later.

This particular warp leads us to an entirely new town!

...dreamlike place somewhere under the water. It's called the Health Center! If the village chief likes you, you might get invited. I really want to go! But...it's impossible, since I can't hold my breath that long!

There's a lot of stuff here about the exclusive Underwater Health Center, which sure is a name of a place we can visit.

...humans because they're always polluting the ocean. They don't think of others until they're affected!

Also token environmental message.

You need to give eight of these to the guy in our company's lobby to unlock something. We got four already, and the last four are all dumped to us here in this village.

But, everyone went to the Underwater Health Center. That's why we're the only ones living on land... But there were a few that got separated. They followed humans and started to like them. I wonder what they are doing now. I hope they're doing okay...

Most of these fellas have moved on to take advantage of free health care.

...are underwater creatures. This is Poro Village. The village chief is at the Underwater Health Center right now.

Even their chief has decided to take residence at the Underwater Health Center.

...Seriously, how did they decide on some of these names?

You can easily fly over the ocean if you have one!

There's a side dungeon we can visit from here if we use a Sky Robopon. We actually have a couple, but the dungeon's kinda high level so I'll hold off on it for now. I mean, I could just cheese it with no encounters anyway, but seeing new abominations is part of the charm!

I came here to study the underwater creatures. What are the underwater creatures?

Great science work so far.

Hiromi: ...Elite 8! I search for Robopon that will fit my wardrobe... The styling Robopon Filrup is what I want! What? You don't have it? Well get it! Run! Run and bring it back!

What kind of clothes are you wearing that you want to match a sentient gas pump?

...so cute! I'm gonna take one home as a pet!

As usual, the NPCs here are rather bizarre.

Some really good parts here, albeit expensive. The game's good about giving you access to some overpowered parts and software if you explore enough, between Illusion Village and expanding our company early.

Also various software.

...you have to fly. You'll need a flying Robopon in your party! If you do, go to the end of the pier. From there you'll be able to go to Bird Island!

This is where you can go to Bird Island. We'll save that for later.

Between Poro Village and Vanza are where we'll be doing the next section of the story, so we'll save them for later.

More money!

...something, kid?

There's two NPCs blocking warps, I assume to future towns to keep us from getting there early.

There's one of these for each element. Not sure what exactly they do, though they do combine with various software as you'd expect. Something to experiment with later!

This is the Underwater Health Center.

Chief: ...polluted... I'm certain that humans did it, but we can't do anything about it. Although it has nothing to do with you, we don't care for humans. You've come all this way, but will you leave?

Needless to say, we're not welcome here. At least not yet.

Faster toilet!

We're done exploring underwater, so let's give the rest of our dream shells to this creature that lives in our lobby.

Thanks, I'm satisfied. Will you take my memory ring as a token of my appreciation?

...memory ring!!

...an elder? Any elder who sees it will surely be delighted!

This lets us enter the Underwater Health Center, which I believe is an optional dungeon. I'll wait for a future update to explore it.

...but I'm alright.

At least our resident here has found peace in knowing his brethren are all doing fine now.

Anyway we build a company sauna.

...should use this place at your leisure, relax!

I don't think there's anything to do here. I didn't even find any items.

...the Legends?

I decide to check out the house from before. We've already warped through it once, but turns out it also has something I missed.

There's actually wild Robopon in this house!

Granted, it's one that's very outdated now, but hey!

Thank you!

...being saved by you all the time!

There's not much new going on in these towns. I forgot to talk to the girl who initially gave me Dosbot, but these two NPCs are the only ones whose dialogue changes in the two main towns. This town also is still living underground because, well, why not?

Wild: ...to see us!? After you creamed us all, we thought it over. We're just tired of picking on everyone. We've decided to break up the Smiley Group and turn into a rock 'n' roll band! You should see us rock! Pretty soon we'll have a platinum record and be playing all over the world!

Also we ended the Smiley Group's reign of terror and led to them adopting music, so that's good I guess!

Next time, we visit Dine Town and begin the next stage of our quest as we set our sights to becoming Legend Four.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

...Seriously, how did they decide on some of these names?

Newport News
Lake Chaubunagungamaug
Truth or Consequences
Idiotville

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wild's sprite is actually pretty good. As in, it's not a good sprite, it looks like he has some bad acne, but it's completely consistent between his overworld and in-battle sprite which doesn't happen often in this game. You can clearly see his antenna, his haircut and his eye thing in both, which is more than I expect from this game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FeyerbrandX posted:

Newport News
Lake Chaubunagungamaug
Truth or Consequences
Idiotville

For me it's more that, despite being a GBC game with only two lines per dialogue box and only sixteen characters per line, they use oddly long names for things like "Participation Certificate" and "Underwater Health Center".

Considering how many other games of the era put such a priority in maximizing what little space they had, it's an odd choice.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I almost got worried the designs had stopped being completely out there after multiple somewhat normal looking fish-bots. But then the onion in a glass that turns into a frog came through and all is right again in the Robopon world.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

...Why is it a fire type?

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Mega64 posted:

...Why is it a fire type?

What, you've never played Fire Hockey before?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
How do you think hockey players don't die from hypothermia? Fire magic!

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

The Flame comes from it's burning passion for violence.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

It wants to beat up the other hockey players, right? What better than a Fire-typing to do so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Update on next page.