Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Chapter 17 - "Kids like you are enlisting in the army like crazy!"

...Dosbot back! Have you tried diving into the water? You should find lots of cool things!

Apparently the girl who gave us Dosbot isn't really interested in getting it back. Works for us!

Final-tier Robopon are worth 150G per level. Thus Hydro and Ribbot make me some really good money. Turns out diving for Robopon is lucrative!

Combine that with the Pearl I found, and we're once again rolling in money!

I then blow most of it on a counseling floor that has nothing of note on it. It should help my handful of employees, maybe? I should probably bring Sauna Guy in here so he stops hogging the company sauna.

This is stupid. Let's get stupider.

...Porombo Island and he's going to use the Robopon as weapons!

The Legend Four has organized an army and will use Robopon to conquer the island. Yep.

...called Apollo Fortress right next door.

Apollo is the other town we can access now, and we'll go there in a bit.

Also, there's a teddy bear here, so you know what that means!

...decreased.

That's right, yet another terrible RNG roll into something bad!

This feature is terrible unless you're actively save scumming to get the good benefits.

Yoko: ...the Elite 8 and I'm looking for rare, I mean, interesting Robopon... I'm looking for a Robopon that looks kind of like a skeleton! It's called Pirate! I can't find him anywhere! If you manage to find Pirate, will you please trade it with me? I'll give you my adorable Whacky!

I think that's the seventh member of the Elite 8 we've met now. Once we get them all, I'll probably dedicate an update just to doing this whole trade chain.

...behind the Apollo Fortress is Kamat. He is the Legend 4!

...to Mr. Kamat!

Too bad everyone in this game is ugly.

The next tier of parts, most of them give 90 stats and 60 RAM, with the token part that gives 120RAM. The software is just the tier 4 versions of the basic elementals.

...army like crazy!

Kamat's getting lots of followers to join this army, it seems.

No. Why?

...leaving town to join Kamat's Army!

I just don't understand kids these days, and their obsession with weird fads like being brainwashed by pop idols, joining someone's military coup, or battling robots shaped like toilets.

It's a good idea to join his army and find out what his plan is going to be! Anyone can enlist in the army if they pay up front and pass a test. Who? Me!? Well... er... I have no money.

Isn't this just true to life?

...turned against us!

Fight fire with fire, or in our case, with giant, fire-breathing feet.

...we live in peace.

Of course, not everyone is against the giant military force out to conquer the island. Hey, it's not a terrible gamble!

...with Robopon! They're our friends, right?

You say that, but you know very well how this entire plot line is going to end.

Welp, let's go join the army.

...Well, okay. Hurry up and pay the receptionist!

All five people here say the same thing, so...

First time feeds are 1000 gold.

1000 gold is pretty cheap for this stage of the game, so sure.

Kamat's Army is divided into 5 units. Each unit has its own fighting discipline... The first thing you need to do is pick a member out of a desired unit and fight them using their fighting style. If you win, you proceed! Good luck, cadet!

So, these five fighting styles? The four mini-games that we can do. Yep.

...of elite Robopon. Do you want to...

The fifth "mini-game" is just a regular Robopon battle, which this group is. Honestly, I just decided to join the first person's group I talked to.

Of course, our initiation is a Robopon battle.

I'm incredibly upset I don't have my own Stinky yet to fart so hard that my porcelain robot starts rusting.

Here, put this badge on, son.

Cody is excited to join the bad guys.

...tower at the Apollo Fortress!

Go to the top of the tower to graduate!

We can't join the other factions, not that it's that big a loss.

Well, let's get this over with!

Apollo Fortress has a big tower in the middle as well as five smaller towers in a star-shape surrounding it. In between those point are four regular Robopon buildings for your usual Robopon services.

...around. First, this big tower is Kamat's Tower. North of here is the Puncher Tower. Next, Speeder Tower is to the east. Shielder Tower is to the west. And last, there are 2 towers to the south. The south-east tower is Battler and south-west tower is Jumper. Can you remember all of that?

I can, but I don't want to!

The next set of Parts, including options for Move-based Robopon. And naturally, the software is the second-half of the tier 4 basic elemental set.

Not much else of note, so let's tackle the Battler Tower.

There's wild Robopon wandering here, including stuff we've seen before like Ralph and Sumo.

Also there's Q.B., because we haven't done a football robot yet!

Just saying, your quarterback usually shouldn't be the one doing the tackling...

Weirdly, Q.B. has a fondness for barrier shenanigans as well, though we can modify that if we really wanted.

But for now, Q.B. is gonna warm the bench.

Next up, have a viking analogue!

Vic is a Pirate Robopon, not to be confused with the Robopon Pirate.

Johnny's really struggling at this point, so it's time for an upgrade. This combination gives him some cool new moves like Dual, Hurcn, and most interestingly, World.

This fool only has Coball.

It goes as you expect.

Q.B. isn't the only sports-themed wild Robopon in this tower!

It's a Fire-type Robopon, yet its only move is Ice...

Another soldier to fight, this time with a Romby. They have nothing interesting to say.

...battles!

It's beautiful...

Sadly, the opponent's Johnny makes a late-stage comeback to take our Johnny out. Crowle avenges us, though.

At this point, my Robopon are getting beat up since I'm only rolling Johnny/Chubba/Crowle while throwing in a fourth to collect energy balls, so I head back to heal up.

And of course, there's a healing pool right after the point I left. Go figure!

Finally, we reach the top of the tower.

...fight me? You're at least...

Light years isn't time! It measures distance!

...On second thought, yeah, light years can be time, why not.

Thanks for wasting my time, you gun-toting moron.

...yourself! That's my motto!

I guess we pass? Sure, OK.

I'm gonna need a reliable fourth, so maybe it's time to try to make something out of Boom.

Maybe I can make it a tanky Medusa.

At any rate, we've passed the Battler Test, so now we're ready to meet Kamat and take on the ringleader in order to--

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Next time, we do this four more times.

Joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

:clint:
:ocelot:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The "Robopon are our friends" thing kind of does not work at all when one of the mechanics of the game is selling them for money. There's a reason why the Game Corner is specifically managed by Team Rocket!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Robopon are friends to the highest bidder.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Why do you have to join one of the five if they're gonna make you do every tower anyway?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Oh my god, I am now imagining Johnny throwing a bunch of plungers at someone before crushing them with a giant toilet.

Melufa
Aug 14, 2011
Is everything in this game complete guesswork? None of these items, skills, or equipment combinations have any sort of description, right? The names of the attacks don't even seem to relate to the animations.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Ah, my three favorite sports: American Football, Ice Hockey and Viking.

So Johnny just learned The World? He is getting too powerful, I don't think anything can stop him if he ever goes rogue.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Melufa posted:

Is everything in this game complete guesswork? None of these items, skills, or equipment combinations have any sort of description, right? The names of the attacks don't even seem to relate to the animations.

Items have descriptions, but skills don't. The best you get is during battle it'll give one word on what sort of buff or side-effect doing that move may do. For instance, Hurcn has Damage, so no extra effects, while World has D-Edged, meaning it has a chance to inflict recoil damage (sound familiar?). There's of course stuff like Bless, Heal, Stop, Rust, and all the usual de/buffs.

Take note that you can only view these in battle, and the reference I've been using to make these combinations doesn't actually say what these moves will do, so this is still all guesswork. There was that instance I set up new software before a Legend fight and it turned out the special move just lets you run away.

And then there's some I have no idea about.

Discomusic
Aug 8, 2016

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why do you have to join one of the five if they're gonna make you do every tower anyway?

Even before, why can't you use your status as Legend 5 to skip all the formalities and go challenge Kamat?
Don't you have any privilege with the title?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Discomusic posted:

Even before, why can't you use your status as Legend 5 to skip all the formalities and go challenge Kamat?

Everything makes slightly more sense if you think of the whole game as nothing but a bunch of kids playing with toy robots and using their imaginations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Discomusic posted:

I don't think the Legend ranks actually grant any privileges whatsoever, really. Maybe Legend 1 counts for something? I think Prince Tail just happens to be royalty in the first place, and his rank is just tangential to his ruling power.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I want to say that is, in fact, the case - I believe someone said earlier "hey the prince is now the Legend 1 isn't that weird?", or something along those lines.

Discomusic
Aug 8, 2016

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Everything makes slightly more sense if you think of the whole game as nothing but a bunch of kids playing with toy robots and using their imaginations.

You probably spoiled the ending twist.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Checks should be named BALNCS if you can get one

...and I'm not sure if I prefer it with ice or fire moves.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Finally got around to playing the next update (you'd be surprised how much free time can be eaten up by Animal Crossing and Trials of Mana). It's basically a bunch of dumb mini-games and me catching and evolving a boatload of Robopon. Updates will be slow for awhile since a janky slow GBC RPG is low on my gaming priorities right now, but I'm gonna guess this is only going to take two more updates to take out Legend Four, so with the side content we're probably around the halfway point.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

"The gun is just for show."

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

"It delights in the crunch of an enemy underneath it's treads"

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Tankmon digivolve to...!

Mega64 posted:

Finally got around to playing the next update (you'd be surprised how much free time can be eaten up by Animal Crossing and Trials of Mana). It's basically a bunch of dumb mini-games and me catching and evolving a boatload of Robopon. Updates will be slow for awhile since a janky slow GBC RPG is low on my gaming priorities right now, but I'm gonna guess this is only going to take two more updates to take out Legend Four, so with the side content we're probably around the halfway point.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mega64 posted:

and then you can move on to robopon 64!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as someone who had this game when i was a kid i can definitely attest that it's kind of insane in like a 'i have no idea what's happening' kind of way. also a thing that really doesn't come through in screenshots is how slow the game actually is to play. everything feels like it's 25-50% more sluggish than it should be for the most part.

but yeah, after catching up and seeing all the stuff about boot robopon, they definitely are kind of poo poo. i don't even remember if there's some sort of actual advantage to using them in the slightest, but what i DO recall is that i typically avoided them because not being able to swap out gear is absolutely killer in terms of keeping pace with the batshit difficulty curve this game just throws at you at times. most of that issue is compounded by not knowing what the hell half the moves do until they're explicitly tested.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Yeah, I remember using the hell out of the Sumo line early on, and a different boot bot that I believe is endgame only, and that's about it.

I never really got the elemental system that well as a kid and I remember basically just having my go-to skills and picking a random other one if my first one didn't work.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

For the Boot-types that evolve from an Arms-type, could you theoretically go back, outfit the Arms-type with really great software and parts, then evolve it and abuse its high Boot stats with the superior equipment? I think they want you to like, re-train a 'pon every now and then with more recent equipment, as dull and pointless as that is. At least the Dispatch Center is utterly, absurdly broken for power-leveling if you cheat the clock, from what I remember.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 8, 2020

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you could tell they were definitely trying to cram in as many gimmicks as possible given that the cartridge was like 50% bigger than the usual GBC one. i don't even think the remote signal function ever gave you anything cool, but i could be misremembering.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Has anyone opened up one of those cartridges and look at the inner workings? I wonder if it has other extra stuff like a larger ROM chip than normal or something.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Johnny Joestar posted:

you could tell they were definitely trying to cram in as many gimmicks as possible given that the cartridge was like 50% bigger than the usual GBC one. i don't even think the remote signal function ever gave you anything cool, but i could be misremembering.

I remember getting a lot of Barmagnets and such from the chests.

There is one thing I know the IR scanner unlocked but I'll wait for Mega to get to it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I probably won't get to it because I don't think any emulators support it. Hell, I'm lucky I found an emulator that semi-supports this game, and it's still got some weird glitches, like the real-time clock messing up when you save (which conveniently disables random encounters, this LP would be hell without that wonderful "feature").

Hopefully I'll get an update out this weekend and maybe start picking the pace back up again.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i assume any robopon carts these days might be dead if they track time and whatever else, because i know that was an issue with pokemon gold and silver iirc

also that loving sea grape puzzle stumped me as a kid for a little bit. the water arbitrarily pulls back and then you just gotta go randomly hammer the button to find poo poo, and it took me a while to get a grape for some reason even when i figured out there was stuff. part of me had assumed that maybe an actual visible item to grab would have popped up, but no. this is robopon, literally nothing is convenient.

also i always remember being sad the crab didn't evolve.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Johnny Joestar posted:

i assume any robopon carts these days might be dead if they track time and whatever else, because i know that was an issue with pokemon gold and silver iirc

One legit excellent “feature” of Robopon’s weird cart is that the battery is easily accessible and replaceable from the front of the cart, no soldering required! Really wish that was a standard thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 18 - "I've never heard of you!"

Last time, I battled through one tower, only to learn I'd have to do four more towers worth of mini games. You know, in case you're wondering why it took me so long to do this update.

...quickly in the Jumper squad! Many special Robopon belong to the Jumper squad.

Jumper's the "best" of the mini-games, in that it's the only one where a large amount of luck isn't involved. You just mash A a bunch.

Speed is an important stat, one most of my Robopon are lacking, and thus I struggle to even beat this challenge.

If you choose not to retry a match, you end up outside your company instead of wherever you were at, since that's where the main mini-game hub is. Programming!

In the meantime, I send my Robopon on dispatches and continue building my company up.

For my own personal office, this room kinda sucks.

As for beating Jumper, I have some tricks up my sleeve, my main trick being "Install jets on my toilet".

And with that, our robot toilet jumped over half a mile / nearly one kilometer in distance before landing.

I've forgotten how absurd this game can be.

Anyway, time to tackle the next tower.

Each tower has three or four different Robopon roaming around it, and in a surprisingly clever bit of game design, the Robopon you'll find in these towers just happen to be ones that would excel in the mini-game the tower is themed around.

We can use Rotor to fly to an optional dungeon if we wanted, though we're not ready for it quite yet.

Next, the jerk we had to overclock our toilet to beat.

Boomer seems like a model the devs were planning to be popular, since it shows up in the intro and is one of only a handful of Robopon in this game to appear in the sequel.

Only in Robopon can you have a jumping competition between a fish and a toilet.

All the trainers in the other towers say the same variety of lines we saw in the last tower, albeit in different orders, so I'll skip over them all.

The last new Robopon I found was this beautiful creature.

I like how massive that sprite is.

One of the challenges is against a Rocker, which we haven't seen yet.

...these days!?

Fortunately, the members at the top of the towers have unique dialogue, and it's as goofy as it usually is.

I outleapt a Ramjet to secure our second victory.

I love how every battle ends with the member just walking away.

The nice part about doing mandatory mini-games is they're a reliable source of energy balls, so I take advantage of this to evolve some Robopon.

The cannon is just decoration, at least until I modify this beautiful beast.

...our Robopon have distinct advantages with their quickness!

I think the idea is you'd do this with speed/land-based Robopon, but this game is entirely random with no input from the player. This might make it the best game to grind energy balls in though since you can just spam this game and not pay any attention to it.

Time for Tower Three!

Nothing really new here, it's mostly the Unibot line as well as Mack. At least I finally catch Mack in this place!

Mack is my spirit Robopon.

Egger's up to its second-stage now.

Still a Boot type, still garbage. Nice attack, though.

I only took this image because "VIRUSTHIEF" is an awesome move name.

Well, I guess it's time for you to find out!

Yep.

These lines are so great.

...importance of hit and defense techniques! The boot type Robopon are the best in our unit.

Our challenger here is Boiler.

You and your opponent choose a random card, which does random attacks on each Robopon. Defense is the important stat for this one.

Some luck can help out, but trust me, it won't get you far.

Onward!

Since this is the Shielder Tower, the Robopon here are all Boot types with high defense.

That Attack and Speed is underwhelming, honestly. And it has the problem most wild Boot types have with terrible move sets that you can't fix.

I come across another Boiler user that stonewalls my team. I give twenty-something attempts before I realize I need to trade out speed for defense.

So I do so, which is a thing I can do with Johnny because Johnny is not a garbage Boot Robopon.

On the way up again, we run into another new Robopon.

Like the design, but again, Boot.

You can draw on this one. You just retry if that happens.

Anyway, with our beefy defenses, we get through the rest of the grunts with ease.

I'm going to teach you a lesson about humility!

And in the end, isn't that the best lesson of all?

I jump into the last tower early to get a few more energy balls, and finally get a chance to get a Tacbot of my own.

I don't know why the cell phone Robopon is geared towards grappling moves, but that's low on my list of things I don't understand about this game.

Unsurprisingly, our egg robot eventually evolves into a chicken robot. A chicken robot with jets, no less.

And explosive eggs. On the bright side, Cluck is no longer a Boot type!

...known to the Puncher squad. Our arm type Robopon have the advantage in this unit.

I don't even have to spec Johnny to attack for this place. He crushes the competition with ease.

Anyway, Puncher tower, blah blah blah.

Johnny's strong enough to out-punch an onion.

A boxer whose head is a boxing glove. Alright, then. Sadly it explodes before I could catch it.

And then there's Chomps.

I like Chomps.

You graduated from every unit? Congratulations! Here's your card!

With that, we're finally done with this insanity. Next time, we're taking on the Legend Four, whoever the hell it is.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Chomps reminds me of Clamps. He's shaped like the Clamps.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Chomps reminds me of Clamps. He's shaped like the Clamps.

Checks out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

some people always bring up the tired thing of 'this pokemon looks like a digimon' which is pretty much universally never true when someone tries to push it

in robopon i kind of wish that was at least somewhat true because something even remotely approaching consistency for the style of the designs would be a godsend

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Our skybot chicken is earth aligned?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Is it a bird?
Is it a plane?
No, it's a toilet with a jet engine!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Is there nothing a toilet can't do?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I feel like they broke out all the good designs just now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So this is the point where the game randomly gets really hard. I finally get my first Game Over. Hell, I get a few of 'em. Luckily you just go back to your company's entrance with no penalty whatsoever, not even any lost money, so that's nice. But it all worked out and I'm Legend Four now, though now I'm gonna have to put actual effort into building my team.

Also, in case you were worried the Robopon were going to stop getting weird:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Attribute: Sea

and yeah, the game has like basically no idea what a gradual difficulty curve is and will happily just break your shin with a baseball bat after a point. it can get brutal given that half the time nothing is explained and you just kind of have to fumble with it AND overcome the bullshit it throws at you. it's almost pokemon romhack levels of poo poo at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Feared!