Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat

i just bought more tea :retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

fujian oolong supreme: very good
milk oolong: very good

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Should I let my second cup made with the same leaves steep longer? It's always a little...anemic?

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Amp

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Should I let my second cup made with the same leaves steep longer? It's always a little...anemic?

Yeah definitely

poverty goat

and/or use less water

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

having a side by side comparison this morning between PG Tips and Yorkshire gold and Yorkshire Gold is the clear winner. Only steeped the PG Tips for 3 min per the directions on the package and it tastes a little weak-I will steep the next cup my usual 4 and see if that improves things.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Escape From Noise

Drinkin' some Oriental Beauty and kind of bummed I'm going to have to skip the tap takeover in Kyoto I was going to visit.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Hi thread. I've been having some digestion problems lately so I've been laying off the tea a bit but it's such a nice Sunday I thought I would dig in and do a gong fu session.

The tea is a V93 Tuocha Pu'erh. I'm not sure what the V93 stands for, I think it was developed in 1993 but this particular cake isn't that old or I would probably have saved it for a group session. I have 190⁰F water for it since I like my Pu'erhs hot. I also wanted to show off my nice blue gaiwan since it's my favorite teaware. When I pick off Pu'erhs I try to get at least one big solid chunk of leaves and a little bit of broken leaves to even out the flavor a bit. The smallest leaves will wash out in a rinse and the bigger ones will infuse enough to give the first few steeps some flavor. The larger solid piece will take longer for the water to fully penetrate and open up, giving me more brews.

This is first steeping. The next one will come out even darker and almost coffee-black. Even holding it up to the window, very little light shows through.

I know Pu'erhs aren't the most popular here but I think it comes down to getting the right one and making sure it's prepared properly. This particular one tastes like the darkest chocolate but without the bitterness. I'm not one to add sweeteners to my tea but this would be excellent with some honey.

Escape From Noise

Nice setup! I need to get some of the utensils again at some point

Escape From Noise

Breaking out the white tea I bought a while ago and still hadn't opened. it's nice

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Some gyokuro this morning. This is probably my favorite tea in the world and I love it but I can't have too much of it since it's kind of intense. A good low temp* green that's powerfully umami and grassy, if you're into that. I use a kyusu to brew it to really get the good green flavor out of it. If you're really feeling adventurous you can actually put a little bit of sea salt or soy sauce on the wet leaves and eat them and they're delicious but highly caffeinated

*I use 50-60⁰C water for this one because anything higher temp brings out the bitter notes a little too aggressively. I also give it a good rinse to open up the leaves because they're so tightly rolled otherwise

Heath fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 6, 2020

Amp

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Drinking on some dragonwell this morning and it's so nice. It's got that nice minerality thing going on but also very vegetal without tipping into savory.

Amp fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 7, 2020

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I had some "sticky rice" Puerh this morning that I've bought a couple of times but this batch hasn't been good. The flavor wears off after 2 steeps in the gaiwan and the color thins out quickly when I want my Puerhs to be so dark that you could fall into them and never see the light again

Escape From Noise

Tie guan yin again! Mmmmm yeah

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Heath posted:

This is first steeping. The next one will come out even darker and almost coffee-black. Even holding it up to the window, very little light shows through.

I know Pu'erhs aren't the most popular here but I think it comes down to getting the right one and making sure it's prepared properly. This particular one tastes like the darkest chocolate but without the bitterness. I'm not one to add sweeteners to my tea but this would be excellent with some honey.

Yay! I am rarely actually disappointed with my lot in life but right now I wish I was a billionaire so I could make you my full-time tea brewer.

Also sorry to hear about digestion. Maybe some peppermint oil or peppermint tea is in order?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 2, 2020

Amp

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Tie guan yin again! Mmmmm yeah

i love tgy sometimes i call it tie guan win because it's so good

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bright Bart posted:

Yay! I rarely am actually disappointment with my lot in life but right now I wish I was a billionaire so I make you my full-time tea brewer.

Also sorry to hear about digestion. Maybe some peppermint oil or peppermint tea is in order?

I recorded a video of myself preparing this tea in a PMF thread if you want to see how it's done

Escape From Noise

Having some frozen summit oolong with figs and Asian pears as I wait for my home fries to cook!

Escape From Noise

Having a little Easter Beauty oolong again. Mmmmm baby!

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN

I tend to go for non blends, but I'm not opposed to blends

I completely agree with you. Sometimes I like to make my own blends! I love Yunnan tea but it tends to be pretty expensive, so don't get it very often. Amazon had some loose Yunnan tea reasonably priced, soni bought some. I mixed it with some Assam one afternoon and that was real tasty!

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Don't know anything about tea. Just got into coffee.

Not really sure why I've posted this.

ulvir

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Drinking on some dragonwell this morning and it's so nice. It's got that nice minerality thing going on but also very vegetal without tipping into savory.

that’s a cute cup

Escape From Noise

Zurtilik posted:

Don't know anything about tea. Just got into coffee.

Not really sure why I've posted this.

Because you are yearning to learn about the sweet leaf

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Inside you there are a leaf and a bean. Both of them kick rear end, but for different reasons

Zurtilik

Because you are yearning to learn about the sweet leaf

Maybe. My limited tea experience has been pretty poor. But it's been sweet tea and bottled green tea so I'm sure that isn't not a fair representation at all.

To be honest though don't really like coffee either, I add a lot of flavorings usually. But I guess the base of coffee is still essential.

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What kind of flavors are you after usually? Do you add a lot of sweetener? Does the roastiness of coffee appeal to you?

Zurtilik

I primarily do a mocha coffee. I like the way the coffee pairs with the dark chocolate. I've tried cinnamon coffee and the standard sugar/cream set up and it's drinkable but I don't really like it.

I've been doing a pretty light roast and just flavoring it. But, I might try some darker roasts soon.

I got a "mocha" coffee blend and it smelled nice but tasted kind of not great. But it was also the generic supermarket brand.

I just have a big pump of "Holland" dark chocolate syrup that I put a plunge or 2 into my light roast and it's pretty good usually. I don't need any cream or sugar beyond that so I don't outright hate bitterness I guess.

I tried coffee on and off in my teens and early 20s. Then I had an Iced Cafe Mocha at Starbucks and that kind of turned the switch. I tolerate most mocha varieties, be the they hot or cold, canned or bottled, or from the local and chain shops. I also like the energy it gives me.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 12, 2020

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My expertise is entirely in tea but my usual go-to recommendation for coffee drinkers is matcha (can be sweetened and served in a latte style, hot or iced, and has high caffeine content) if you're more of a caffeine junkie, or if you like the dark chocolate notes, a good shou Pu'erh tea. My favorite is one called V93 Dayi Tuocha, which tastes like dark chocolate without the bitterness and you can add some vanilla soy milk to it to give it a creamy smoothness and a light sweetener if you want something that is caffeinated but isn't as buzzy as coffee

Escape From Noise

Had a bit o' Japanese green tea this morning with my miso soup and rice

Amp

Been drinking a bunch of ooooooolongs lately and there's always the thing where I put in the dry leaves and think to myself "that's not a lot of tea but okay!" and then after a few steeps I go "oh wow look at how big those leaves are now" and that's why oolong is great. Also they always taste good. Tea!

Escape From Noise

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Been drinking a bunch of ooooooolongs lately and there's always the thing where I put in the dry leaves and think to myself "that's not a lot of tea but okay!" and then after a few steeps I go "oh wow look at how big those leaves are now" and that's why oolong is great. Also they always taste good. Tea!

Oh yeah! Oolong is soooo good! I have some Eastern Beauty, some tie guan yin, and some frozen summit. I like how many varieties there are, and that thing that most of them do with the rolled up leaves is super cool! I didn't get it when I was at the shop but they had some oolong that was like spiraled, so they kind of looked like screws or something.

Amp

Oh yeah! Oolong is soooo good! I have some Eastern Beauty, some tie guan yin, and some frozen summit. I like how many varieties there are, and that thing that most of them do with the rolled up leaves is super cool! I didn't get it when I was at the shop but they had some oolong that was like spiraled, so they kind of looked like screws or something.

I could probably be happy just drinking various oolongs for the rest of my life. Tea, along with wine, constantly blows my mind with how, just based on the conditions where something was grown and how it was treated and processed, wildly different the ending product ends up being. It's really magical.

Escape From Noise

Brewin' up some white tea and got some mikan ready.

Mummy Napkin
having some Barry’s with a little milk. I’m still a teabag plebeian and I like it that way.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
tea pleb crew reprazent

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Machai

My wife does not drink tea so I get to have the super fancy tea her company sends for the holidays all to myself. This year's package came today and the box is twice as big as the last one! Also I got the water bottle and fidget spinner with the company logos on them that she didn't want. Now I am well hydrated and my hands are occupied.

Escape From Noise

Machai posted:

My wife does not drink tea so I get to have the super fancy tea her company sends for the holidays all to myself. This year's package came today and the box is twice as big as the last one! Also I got the water bottle and fidget spinner with the company logos on them that she didn't want. Now I am well hydrated and my hands are occupied.

Woah! Talk about living the dream!

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I tried Trader Joes' new black tea espresso maple chicory hot drink. It was not good. It had a weird flavor that I can't quite place. Reminded me of a slim jim dipped in Aunt Jemima.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Buttchocks posted:

a slim jim dipped in Aunt Jemima.

how rude

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Buttchocks posted:

I tried Trader Joes' new black tea espresso maple chicory hot drink. It was not good. It had a weird flavor that I can't quite place. Reminded me of a slim jim dipped in Aunt Jemima.

This seems like a hat on several hats.