Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So because of FIFAs insane decision to play international games during a pandemic, Philly (and some other teams probably) are going to be out key players during the playoffs because of games and quarantine time

Why did MLS schedule playoffs during an international break? Who at FIFA thought international games are a good idea? gently caress this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
lol at thinking international games are bad, but domestic games are still ok

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I mean international travel is still really complex and the quarantine requirements will uniquely gently caress up domestic schedules but yeah, um, those of us cheering for Canadian teams invite you to pull up a chair, we've kept the club warm for you.

In other news, the league have apparently realised that "rookie" isn't a useful category in a league based on academies and poaching nineteen year olds from South America and have replaced the Rookie of the Year award.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

A Union player tested positive for COVID. Since Jose Martinez was a late scratch, its probably him

wonderful

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
Nashville SC have clinched a playoff spot in their inaugural season :cool:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Red Bull’s clinch a playoff spot :toot:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Philly won and TFC lost :toot:

The Shield is almost at The Bridge

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
And in another move that will shock no one, the league will be using PPG to determine playoff seeding and the Supporter's Shield, meaning all of those games involving Colorado (plus a MIN-DAL matchup) will not be made up. For all the tiebreaker stuff, just add "per game" to all the usual tiebreakers.

Philly is still in the driver's seat for the Shield, one win and Toronto dropping any points would do it. There is an oddball scenario where 4 teams finish with 44 points where Seattle would take it because they would have played 1 fewer game, but I'll go ahead and consider it Philly's.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1321932902175698944?s=19

RIP

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

They need to clean out the front office too. That place has been a tire fire since Arena left.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’ve always wanted to use this:

:gb2gbs:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Oscar Wild posted:

They need to clean out the front office too. That place has been a tire fire since Arena left.

I dunno, I think it's funnier if the Galaxy remain a tire fire, especially if LAFC keeps finding ways to choke in the playoffs.

Edward Mass posted:

I've always wanted to use this:

Perfect

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Edward Mass posted:

lol

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Edward Mass posted:

:discourse:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whypick1 posted:

And in another move that will shock no one, the league will be using PPG to determine playoff seeding and the Supporter's Shield, meaning all of those games involving Colorado (plus a MIN-DAL matchup) will not be made up. For all the tiebreaker stuff, just add "per game" to all the usual tiebreakers.

Philly is still in the driver's seat for the Shield, one win and Toronto dropping any points would do it. There is an oddball scenario where 4 teams finish with 44 points where Seattle would take it because they would have played 1 fewer game, but I'll go ahead and consider it Philly's.

They really should have announced that 6 weeks ago when it was clear that Colorado wouldn't be able to make up any games.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Edward Mass posted:

Brilliant

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Not great Bob!

https://twitter.com/MLS_PR/status/1322659706633097217

Oh, and both of USL's championship matches also got cancelled for the same reason

:tif:

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 1, 2020

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/danloney36/status/1322632048855703552?s=21

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
FC Cincy have won their 2nd consecutive wooden spoon. What an accomplishment. Let's see if they can make it three in a row next year!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Philly backed into the CCL spot even if they fuckup the Shield

Onto a CCL adventure and getting owned by some Mexican club

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/DrewJOlsen/status/1324512963022249984?s=20

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

We now have a playoff schedule

Also, SKC just had a player test positive. Coincidentally, if their match was to be cancelled they would be guaranteed the #1 seed in the West :tinfoil:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Here's the Decision Day effortpost, but with a little bit more :effort: because, quite frankly, the past year month week has left me exhausted for some reason.

This year's Decision Day, unlike the previous ones, will have two sets of games going on simultaneously.

Eastern Conference

NYC @ Chicago
Atlanta @ Columbus
Montreal @ DC
Cincinnati @ Miami
Toronto @ NY Red Bulls
Nashville @ Orlando
New England @ Philadelphia

All games kick off at ~3:30PM EST, with New England @ Philadelphia being broadcast nationally on ABC. The Supporter's Shield* (asterisk because 2020) is down to just Philadelphia and Toronto. So long as Philly meets or beats Toronto's result they will get their first piece of hardware in franchise history (I'm ignoring the "Toronto and Philly both win, but Toronto wins by 15 more goals than Philly" scenario because as much hosed up poo poo has happened in 2020, I'm 100% sure that is not going to happen). If this happens we might actually be forced to acknowledge that the Philadelphia Union are a team that more than just exists.

Meanwhile, towards the bottom of the table, five teams are fighting for the final two playoff spots. Montreal and Chicago currently hold onto them, but Atlanta, Miami and DC want something to say about that (making Montreal @ DC rather important). Will both expansion teams make it to the playoffs in their inaugural year (with the help of an abnormally expanded playoff field)? Will we see legions of lifelong Atlanta fans burn their jerseys after they miss out? Will Montreal be forced even more goddamn time in the US? Let's find out together!

Western Conference

Colorado @ Houston
Portland @ LAFC
Dallas @ Minnesota
SKC @ RSL
San Jose @ Seattle
LA Galaxy @ Vancouver

All games kick off at ~6:30PM EST, with Portland @ LAFC being nationally broadcast on FS1. Thanks to Wednesday's results, all 8 playoff spots in the West have been clinched, so the real fight will be for the #1 spot. SKC currently holds onto it, but either Portland or Seattle could take it should SKC fail to win (unless SKC's match gets cancelled, because then they would keep it no matter what, which :argh:). Thankfully it doesn't look like there will be any ugly per-game tiebreakers that will come into play.

If you voluntarily watch Galaxy @ Whitecaps you should probably seek professional help. Yes, even if you're a fan of one of those teams. Go outside for a walk or something, assuming outside won't kill you, of course.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Philly can embarrassingly choke away the Shield on National TV 2 weeks in a row

Progress! Also gently caress me

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The club finished it's investigation. tl;dr: yeah, bad stuff happened, but we're not going to publicly throw anyone under the bus

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

The Philadelphia Union have won the Supporter's Shield, an actual trophy

:unsmith:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I mean, this year it's even more worthless than usual, but it's still good for them to win something. :doop:

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Brackets are set.

CLB vs NYRB as is tradition.

LAFC vs SEA in first round is hilarious to me.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

insider posted:

LAFC vs SEA in first round is hilarious to me.

The league just wants to have yet another Portland/Seattle matchup in the second round.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Oh MLS, never change :allears:

https://twitter.com/andrew_wiebe/status/1325823374313000962

(Click for thread)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Playoff thread

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Philadelphia Union have won the Supporter's Shield, an actual trophy

:unsmith:
A trophy that the shitheads that run the Supporters Shield pretty much had to be shamed into awarding this year.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Finalists for the year end awards

My guesses:

MVP: Pozuelo, but Rossi maaaaybe has a chance
Defender: Zimmerman
Goalkeeper: Blake (Winner: Blake)
Newcomer: Pulido
Young Player: Rossi (Winner: Rossi)
Coach: Pareja, but wouldn't be surprised if Curtin takes it (Winner: Curtin by a rather comfortable margin)
Comeback: BWP (Winner: BWP)

Can't speak to the others

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 17, 2020

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

That rumored Houston Dynamo rebrand is a real thing now.

Sure was nice of them to give the Dash the way better looking logo.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

whypick1 posted:

That rumored Houston Dynamo rebrand is a real thing now.

Sure was nice of them to give the Dash the way better looking logo.

Why does this look so familiar to me? Like it's a copy paste of something else. Isn't there a baseball logo almost identical to this?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

You're probably thinking of the San Francisco Giants

But "letters being on top of/going through each other" describes a lot of MLB logos (which explains NYCFC's).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/1329062634373738497

The Islanders fisherman has company now for 'shortest logo run'!

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Edward Mass posted:

https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/1329062634373738497

The Islanders fisherman has company now for 'shortest logo run'!

Well good on them for realizing at least.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Also in the news, the SuperDraft is being cut by one round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

whypick1 posted:

Finalists for the year end awards

My guesses:

MVP: Pozuelo, but Rossi maaaaybe has a chance
Defender: Zimmerman
Goalkeeper: Blake (Winner: Blake)
Newcomer: Pulido
Young Player: Rossi (Winner: Rossi)
Coach: Pareja, but wouldn't be surprised if Curtin takes it (Winner: Curtin by a rather comfortable margin)
Comeback: BWP (Winner: BWP)

Can't speak to the others

Rossi barely edged out Aaronson for Young Player, which was surprising. Thought Golden Boot would have meant a blowout, guess not. Aaronson would have won outright if not for a bunch of drunken media members

Mark McKenzie is better than Zimmerman, fight me cowards

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 19, 2020