Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

I'm the twat who puts on a shirt and tie to have a video conference from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Bottom left looks like a proof of life hostage video.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bardeh posted:

i dont know who this guy actually is but he looks like a baddie from a film

that's Spider-Boy himself Gavin Williamson and he's less a film baddie and more a Scooby-Doo villain

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bardeh posted:

crispix posted:

Gavin Williamson and I frankly dread to imagine :(

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Julio Cruz posted:

that's Spider-Boy himself Gavin Williamson and he's less a film baddie and more a Scooby-Doo villain

Who, to be fair, definitely wishes he could be a supervillian.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
made myself a bacon and egg muffin for lunch and it was approximately 1000% better than the McDonalds ones

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bardeh posted:

Department for E...vil

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I'm the absent Press Team

Jedit posted:

Also it's been pointed out that he has the entire cabinet on mute, so he can't hear a thing they're saying.

ah, privilege

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

hemale in pain posted:

that actually sounds okay

my baking is getting a bit better but it's depressing finding out how much sugar is in cake. it's about 5 billion calories.
My speciality is chocolate brownies and occasionally I make a double batch for work: 460g of sugar, 600g chocolate, 350g butter. Not healthy but it never fails to get a good response.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bardeh posted:

half of those weirdos are wearing shirts and ties in their own homes wtf

But not necessarily pants.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

Condensed milk is one of the key ingredients for my fudge, so I always have multiple cans knocking around. You have no idea the level of self control needed not to break into them.. me, I love to pour it over crushed ice to make a kind of creamy slushie.

Add some rose and sarsaparilla syrup, kidney beans and corn and you've got yourself a dessert from heaven.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jedit posted:

He looks hungover.

Also it's been pointed out that he has the entire cabinet on mute, so he can't hear a thing they're saying.

that’s perfectly normal though
any call of remotely that size everyone has to stay on mute except to take turns to speak. otherwise it’s unmanageable.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why is a permanent member of the UN security council holding top level cabinet meetings on loving Zoom?

Thats even dumber than revealing the home address of the head of MI6 by trying to show off on Twitter.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Brady Bunch reboot looking loving grim.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

They left the meeting ID up. Anyone want to have a go guessing the 6 digit password? If you get in an goatse the cabinet you'll go down in history.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

And it’s huawei we’re worried about spying on us

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

communism bitch posted:

I've been furloughed till the end of MAY. What the poo poo am I going to do alone in my flat for 2 months? I've already got bored of beating my hog.

Can i interest you in several thousand hours of nerds playing D&D (critical role is great and honestly more entertaining and better 'written' for want of a better word than about half of network TV at the moment)

E: why the poo poo are the cabinet using Zoom? Why has Zoom become The Thing in this lockdown when there are dozens of alternatives for remote meetings? I had ltierally never heard of Zoom before like... 2 weeks ago.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Cerv posted:

any call of remotely that size everyone has to stay on mute except to take turns to speak. otherwise it’s unmanageable.

Yes. I have online workshops every couple of weeks for a course I'm doing with 26-30 attendees. Mute is essential.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1245000502653399040?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cerv posted:

Very generous of you, but if you can stand to look at the screenshot it isn't Boris's turn to speak. Natalie Evans is the one who is talking, and he's got her turned off.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

After two days of falls, UK deaths have jumped up to 381 in 24hrs.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jedit posted:

Very generous of you, but if you can stand to look at the screenshot it isn't Boris's turn to speak. Natalie Evans is the one who is talking, and he's got her turned off.

green outline round Johnson means he is speaking
cabinet is poo poo at this and needs a training course. oh dear

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pablo Bluth posted:

After two days of falls, UK deaths have jumped up to 381 in 24hrs.

393 according to the beeb.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Wales latest total is 69.

Stop there imo.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

sebzilla posted:

393 according to the beeb.
381 is the number on the Guardian.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

E: why the poo poo are the cabinet using Zoom? Why has Zoom become The Thing in this lockdown when there are dozens of alternatives for remote meetings? I had ltierally never heard of Zoom before like... 2 weeks ago.

Their software is so much better than Webex which used to be the go to. Google keeps killing its various communications platforms and MS Teams is only starting to get some traction. Zoom are relatively new on the scene.

The company I worked for trialled the various platforms last year and Zoom worked best. I have had far fewer issues with it than any other platform I tried.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Munin posted:

Their software is so much better than Webex which used to be the go to. Google keeps killing its various communications platforms and MS Teams is only starting to get some traction.

The company I worked for trialled the various platforms last year and Zoom worked best. I have had far fewer issues with it than any other platform I tried.

Yep I convinced the little business I'm nepotised into to switch to virtual training because I'm lazy and now it's paying dividends.

Researching all the platforms it's obvious Zoom is best and also has a decent free version unlike the insanely priced competition.
MS Teams is the other up and comer cause it works pretty well and you have it with Office 365 which most professionals have.

Webex is total poo poo and naturally our clients refuse to use anything else

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Zoom does have a track record of less-than-great security
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/07/zoom-makes-it-too-easy-for-hackers-to-access-webcams-heres-what-to-do/

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

communism bitch posted:

I'm the twat who puts on a shirt and tie to have a video conference from home.

Just lol if you aren't video conferencing from the loo. Even if you don't need a poo poo it's the principle of the matter.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Zoom is honestly one of the best options out there, especially for larger groups(Google Meet won't show everyone's video at once, which is very irritating). It's got massive security issues but hey, what consumer software doesn't.

My family held a Zoom meetup at the weekend for my cousin's birthday and it was actually great. 32 people in one call.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What was the consensus on face covering with things other than proper surgical masks? I'm sure someone said it was actually worse than useless. I'm going to give blood on Monday and so will have to brave central London (still torn between walking there and back - about six miles each way - and getting on the bike, the only thing stopping the latter is if there's any kind of issue that might affect my grip on the controls). Not getting on the tube for love nor money.

If it makes a difference I'm talking about one of those nylon/lycra neck tube things which (apart from an old scarf) is about the only thing I have that would make any kind of face covering in my possession.

It wont do sod all to protect you and neither do surgical masks. But you will protect other people if you possible have the rona.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

forkboy84 posted:

Just lol if you aren't video conferencing from the loo. Even if you don't need a poo poo it's the principle of the matter.

Make sure you have a massive stack of bog roll behind you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

biglads posted:

Make sure you have a massive stack of bog roll behind you

It'll help with the echo, too.

Jinkii
Jan 17, 2011
My mother cut her hand deeply on barbed-wire while out walking the dogs last week, the staff at Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary A&E were delighted to see her, due to the lockdown the A&E department had never been quieter and they were bored out of their minds.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If the UK government using Zoom as their go-to videoconferencing software doesn't convince you that it's janky insecure poo poo then I don't know what will.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I will say we are currently in the golden age of screen captures of people leaving their cameras on while they have a poo poo in conference calls. I've seen 3 or so getting passed around in the last week and a half.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Oh no! Not a prick in expensive walking gear talking on the phone near my second or third home I've escaped off to!

She’s a 92 year old retired dinner lady who fiddled the numbers to make sure all the kiddies had enough to eat during the miners strikes, and we pulled her out of a nursing home no one trusted and back into the cottage she lived in with her sister.

But way to mock a frightened old lady I guess.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
This week's special offer: Risk your life fighting a potentially deadly disease without adequate protection, and instead of charging you ridiculous admin fees or just randomly deporting you this year, we'll do it next year instead!

quote:

Frontline NHS staff in the UK on visas will be given an automatic one-year extension to help the UK battle the coronavirus.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said doctors, nurses and paramedics whose visas were due to run out before 1 October would be given the 12-month extension free of charge so they could “focus fully on combatting coronavirus and saving lives”.

The new measure will apply to around 2,800 immigrants working in the health service, and will be extended to their family members “demonstrating how valued overseas NHS staff are to the UK”.

Ms Patel also confirmed the Home Office would lift the restriction on the number of hours student nurses and doctors can work in the NHS to make more staff available.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

You'll all be glad to know that Toby Young is on twitter literally calling for the mass culling of the old to boost the economy. There is a silver lining though:

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1244940600358600704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

what the gently caress is the free speech union