Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I cannot wait for my office to close so i can piss about at home for weeks on end

The Tory plan to return Britain to the 14th century is ahead of schedule. They haven't lost rulership of Ireland or Scotland yet, but they've managed the two living popes and the pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
...how exactly are they going to "close down cities?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thatcher managed it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am going to break from thread consensus and say that I love crumbled ruins and overcrenelated poo poo. I do prefer iron age hill forts though.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Thatcher managed it.

I don't think they could do it this time though, especially if more than one needs to be closed, especially in England where there's more people crammed together in cities, o mean do they have enough police to potentially lock London down?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's an old WW1 fort built into the hillside down in Portsmouth, called Fort Widley. It gets rented out for larp events and such, and it is so goddamn cool; it's full of dark, cold tunnels and while it has a relatively level rear access, the main way in is a terrifyingly steep spiral staircase deep into the earth.

That's my fort story.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like riding past the "come see my cat" bunker on the ECML up to scotland.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Ash Crimson posted:

...how exactly are they going to "close down cities?"

Churchill spirit, fight the virus on the beaches, we survived two world wars and one world cup, rationing is coming home baby.

I actually went looking for 'Boris Johnson Noises' to make this post more realistic, and...

The reality of course is that hahaha we can't enforce a quarantine what the gently caress do you think this is, a country that hasn't stripped its police, hospitals and military to the bone?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ash Crimson posted:

I don't think they could do it this time though, especially if more than one needs to be closed, especially in England where there's more people crammed together in cities, o mean do they have enough police to potentially lock London down?

You order all government offices to close, which they will definitely comply with, you order all public transport to stop, which is really obvious if they don't, you get police on the streets to patrol major junctions and challenge people moving around and you expect all other businesses to close and direct people to stay inside. Fear, lack of places to go, lack of means to travel and some state enforcement will reduce traffic massively.

it's not like China had troopers in helicopters swooping down on people out on the street, although perhaps there's a greater expectation of compliance there than here.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ash Crimson posted:

o mean do they have enough police to potentially lock London down?

*policeman points at you*

'ave you got a loicense for that being outside

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

how are they gonna deal with our people's rebellious, independent spirit? unlike the deferent and cowed chinese

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Communist Thoughts posted:

how are they gonna deal with our people's rebellious, independent spirit? unlike the deferent and cowed chinese

Not like that, the Chinese government openly interjects itself into general life to a far higher degree that we have in the UK and so the quarantine is definitely a massive step up but it's less of one than we would see it as.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Definitely going to be a crowd of pensioners banging on the sainsbury's demanding to know why they aren't open.

Like a really naff dawn of the dead.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

:thejoke: but ... queuing politely to be let into the mass grave at Hyde Park.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/coronavirus-plan-london-sees-40000-21599929

quote:

Contingency plans have been drawn by the London Resilience Partnership (LRP) – which includes the London Resilience Team (LRT) – about what options would be on the table in “significant event” such as a viral outbreak.

It comes as the Cabinet Office reportedly briefed local authorities to prepare their excess deaths plans for a large coronavirus outbreak on Wednesday.

Daily Star Online unearthed the document titled the London Excess Deaths Framework which details the capital’s options in the event of a crisis like coronavirus.

Grim considerations discuss what to do with bodies, such as how to store and bury them, and a “reasonable worst case scenario” in which it is estimated 39,600 people die.

The 42-page document breaks down each issue of a mass death event – providing suggested solutions for the London authorities.

Documents describe an around additional 1,058 people dying per week should London be hit with a “reasonable worst case” epidemic.

The excess death plan explains that local authorities would have to find more space bodies – including possibly in warehouses and hangers.

It also describes easing legislation on declarations of deaths and inquests to more quickly bury or burn bodies.

And in terms of transporting bodies, the document describes the need may arise to bring in the military to help move corpses.

In a statement to Daily Star Online, the Cabinet Office said: “We have been clear from the outset that we expect coronavirus to have some impact on the UK, which is why we are planning for every eventuality – including the reasonable worst case scenario.

“Crucially this does not mean we expect it to happen.

“Public safety is our top priority and while there are currently only 19 confirmed cases in the UK, we have a team of public health experts and scientists working round the clock to make sure the NHS and UK more widely is fully prepared.”

This comes as MP Nickie Aiken said plans were already in place in London, reports Bloomberg.

She said: “We have contingency plans to open up a morgue in Hyde Park, in tents.

“We would run the morgue for most of central London.”

Oh yeah by the way it looks like 120,000 police, 146,500 across all branches of the military and 36,000 'volunteer reserve' who like to lick government jackboots. So ~300,000 'authority figures' enforcing the quarantine with billy club and musket, on an island of 66.4 million people.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Definitely going to be a crowd of pensioners banging on the sainsbury's demanding to know why they aren't open.

Like a really naff dawn of the dead.

I think the corona might thin they numbers

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

this means she'll be gone by tuesday, correct?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/boris-johnson-priti-patel-confidence_uk_5e5bfa17c5b601022112d1bd?ncid=tweetlnkukhpmg00000008

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

RockyB posted:

Churchill spirit, fight the virus on the beaches, we survived two world wars and one world cup, rationing is coming home baby.

I actually went looking for 'Boris Johnson Noises' to make this post more realistic, and...

The reality of course is that hahaha we can't enforce a quarantine what the gently caress do you think this is, a country that hasn't stripped its police, hospitals and military to the bone?

They'll send in the Royal Navy whose two ships are simultaneously defending the English Channel from froggie fishing trawlers and in the Gulf shoring up jingoistic votes for Trump.

RockyB posted:

:thejoke: but ... queuing politely to be let into the mass grave at Hyde Park.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/coronavirus-plan-london-sees-40000-21599929

Oh yeah by the way it looks like 120,000 police, 146,500 across all branches of the military and 36,000 'volunteer reserve' who like to lick government jackboots. So ~300,000 'authority figures' enforcing the quarantine with billy club and musket, on an island of 66.4 million people.

It's gonna be like 'the unburied bodies' side of 'the bins':

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/dec/30/liverpool-gravedigger-strikes

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gravediggers-strike-helped-put-final-13972135

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 2, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it was may's government, yes, but hard to tell with boris. He's in a constant battle between laziness and stupidity.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

I was looking for another smilie and saw this, thought I'd bring back the good times of late November.

:swinson:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A seafaring island fisherman flood fearing nation that refused to take the obvious step of burial at sea.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

We could give visas to Cameron's 70000 Syrian Rebel Fighters to come and defend Our Great Nation against this forinner virus.

quote:

Well sort of quote, I changed ISIS to Coronavirus
David Cameron's '70,000 moderate rebels' are in Syria, the allies just need to direct them to take on Coronavirus

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
theyve said alot about old people dying better from corona virus. Is it the same for babies and children?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i miss skills wallets

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

theyve said alot about old people dying better from corona virus. Is it the same for babies and children?

No, as of yet there hasn't been a single reported fatality of any children. They seem to only get mild symptoms.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No. It just scythes through the elderly and the medically vulnerable.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Babies and young kids seem literally immune, there hasn't been a single death so far. Unlike the Spanish Flu which killed by sending the immune system of relatively healthy people into overdrive / causing Cytokine storms, Covid-19 seems pretty much aimed at taking out Boomers / immunocompromised people.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Some interesting theories floating around (that I can't find the source for right now) about how more recent exposure to other flu strains in nursery / early life might explain why kids seem not to get it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Don't think it hits babbies and kids especially hard, thankfully.

Also, I don't think it'd be that hard to quarantine a city for a short time, because most people are going to obey the authorities when it's about a viral outbreak. The problems will emerge if the lockdown lasts beyond a certain time and things start running out in homes and whatever stores remain open.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

No. It just scythes through the elderly and the medically vulnerable.
Well I'm sure that the recent step of the government bringing analysts in to determine who costs the NHS the most won't factor into any response to this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have seen the documentary "resident evil"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The UK 2020 version is called Permanent Resident Evil.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

RockyB posted:

Babies and young kids seem literally immune, there hasn't been a single death so far. Unlike the Spanish Flu which killed by sending the immune system of relatively healthy people into overdrive / causing Cytokine storms, Covid-19 seems pretty much aimed at taking out Boomers / immunocompromised people.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Some interesting theories floating around (that I can't find the source for right now) about how more recent exposure to other flu strains in nursery / early life might explain why kids seem not to get it.

COVID-19 Is a totally different type of virus than influenza. Exposure to one will not affect the other.

There are however four other regular coronaviruses (not MERS or SARS) found in (generally seasonal) circulation that may cause up to 20% of regular 'colds' but there is right now no evidence to support this being the reason children seem to have mild symptoms to COVID-19. Truthfully nobody really knows why this seems to be happening but it's one small mercy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Peter Thiel is salivating at the prospect I'm sure.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I was using 'flu' as a generic term. The theory goes that more recent exposure to HCoV-OC43 in children than adults might explain why they have milder symptoms.

http://virological.org/t/remarkable-age-distribution-of-oc43-vs-sars-cov-2-in-china/399

quote:

In their preliminary analysis of the clinical parameters of COVID-19, from the first 425 patients, Li et al noted that there were no pediatric cases, and that the median age was 59 years old. While there are sure to be pediatric cases now that the total number of confirmed cases has topped 70,000, the impression has been that the pediatric age group has been very much spared a major impact from SARS-CoV-2.

Li et al surmised that perhaps the pediatric age group had some inherent resistance to SARS-CoV-2 infection via the non-specific immune response. While there is precedent for such clinical resistance in other viral infections, such as Hepatitis A and Epstein Barr virus, another explanation may lie in the annual exposure of this age group to other coronaviruses causing upper respiratory disease.

In 2018, Zhang et al published a five-year survey of upper respiratory disease in Guangzhou, to the south of Hubei province in Guangdong province, focusing on the principal upper respiratory coronavirus, OC43. Not only was OC43 circulating in four of the five years, but also throughout the year. Other coronaviruses HXU1, 229E and NL63 were less prominent, but there was an outbreak of upper respiratory coronavirus infection every year, likely continuing to this day. Furthermore, the age distribution of those viruses was markedly skewed to the very young pediatric age group.

Thus, infants in China are exposed to OC43 and other upper respiratory coronaviruses every year of their early life. It is likely that their surface immunity to these viral agents is regularly boosted.

As always this is probably talking so much bullshit and we won't really know until months down the line, if ever.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'm convinced that had social media and media frenzy been at 2020 levels for sars and swine flu and what not, there'd have been the same sensationalism and panic then.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did either of those switch off china?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry for the Torygraph link:

torygraph/politics/2020/03/01/downing-street-department-health-locked-row-access-eu-pandemic/

quote:

Downing Street and Department of Health locked in row over access to EU pandemic warning system
Matt Hancock wanted to retain membership of the EWRS as part of the EU-UK future relationship deal, however No 10 said no

DOWNING Street and the Department of Health are locked in a row over post-Brexit access to an EU pandemic warning system in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.

Matt Hancock’s department wanted to retain membership of the Early Warning and Response System (EWRS) as part of the EU-UK future relationship deal, but No 10 said “no”, The Daily Telegraph has learnt.

Senior health advisers warned that exiting the EWRS, which has helped coordinate the response to the virus and played a vital role during the bird flu outbreak, would put public health at risk.

However, the British negotiating team, which reports to Boris Johnson, did not want to blur the UK’s request for a basic, Canada-style trade deal, it is claimed. Every add-on requested by the UK would risk giving the EU leverage to demand post-Brexit alignment.

Mr Hancock is also understood to have been told he could not travel to Europe to meet other health ministers because Britain has now left the EU.

The details emerged as the Department of Health disclosed 12 new cases of coronavirus in the UK, a 50 per cent increase in the space of just 24 hours.

A senior source told The Telegraph: “The Department of Health pitched for continued access to the EWRS to be an objective of the negotiations, but it was blocked because they didn’t want to be accused of seeking more than the basic Canada deal.”

David Frost, the UK’s chief negotiator who will today lead a team of more than 100 negotiators for the first round of talks in Brussels, is understood to have personally endorsed the decision not to seek EWRS access.

The decision not to seek ongoing access to the early warning system that played a vital role in previous disease outbreaks such as SARS, bird flu and Ebola, raises serious questions about the UK’s ability to protect public health, experts have warned.

The web-based system, which was set up in 1988, links the European Commission, governments and key agencies, such as the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), in order to control serious cross-border threats to health. Last month the NHS Confederation, the body that speaks for the entire health service, explicitly warned that the risk from a pandemic “could be heightened without continued cooperation with EU” on health issues.

Niall Dickson, the chief executive of the NHS Confederation and its Brexit Health Alliance, which includes research and patient bodies, warned on Feb 7 that “public health is at risk in a number of areas if health is not made a priority in the forthcoming negotiations with the EU”.

In a five-page briefing paper, the Alliance set out five priorities for negotiators including “participation in key EU data-sharing platforms and alert systems, such as the Early Warning and Response System”.

Sources said the Government, which has been at pains in recent times to say it does not want “special access” to the EU, had ignored that request.

Separately, The Telegraph understands that Mr Hancock sought permission in early February to travel to Brussels to discuss the coronavirus with his EU counterparts, but was refused by Downing Street.

The UK retains access to the EWRS system until Jan 1 next year as part of it’s standstill “transition” deal.

The Government has said it will not extend the transition period, meaning that unless the UK takes a different tack in negotiations, its access will lapse.

Speaking last month Mr Dickson said: “Our worry is that all sides in these negotiations are under massive time pressures to agree a future trade deal and so there is a risk that the safety and health of patients and citizens across Europe could be overlooked.”

When the UK published its negotiation mandate last week, there was no mention of the EWRS, with a non-committal pledge to explore co-operation in “specific and narrowly defined areas where this is in the interest of both sides, for example on matters of health security”.

The senior Whitehall source said this pledge explicitly did not amount to seeking access to the EWRS and other bodies. “It was a vague commitment to information sharing, not access or participation in the EU system, which was knocked back,” the source added.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DavidCayJ/status/1234222655412359172

Paging our mole on the Solent ShaneMcGowansTeeth to tell us if there's similar scenes down there...

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

RockyB posted:

Yeah I was using 'flu' as a generic term. The theory goes that more recent exposure to HCoV-OC43 in children than adults might explain why they have milder symptoms.

http://virological.org/t/remarkable-age-distribution-of-oc43-vs-sars-cov-2-in-china/399

As always this is probably talking so much bullshit and we won't really know until months down the line, if ever.

Sorry for being a bit blunt just extremely tired of all the misinformation going around about this, the 'its just the flu' stuff really bugs me and it can be hard to tell what's what. I'd almost hope this wasn't the case as other countries might have lower circulation of the specific coronavirus strain responsible which means that kids would be more vulnerable.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Eh, she's dumb but also dumbly loyal to Johnson and acts as a kind of meat shield to absorb unfriendly attention that might otherwise be turned on him. I think she's safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidCayJ/status/1234222655412359172

Paging our mole on the Solent ShaneMcGowansTeeth to tell us if there's similar scenes down there...

Probably not yet, as it takes considerably longer for a ship to get from Shanghai/Singapore/Ningbo/Busan to get to Europe than to Long Beach. We will know in the next two or three weeks I'd wager