Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Posting on the first page of the economic meltdown / corona epidemic / oh gently caress all the contractors are leaving thread.

Gonna be a wild month y'all.

The Graundiad posted:

NHS plans to deploy ‘Dad’s Army’ of retired doctors if Covid-19 spreads

E: But don't worry, we solved climate change!

RockyB fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Frankly I've never had much of a problem with Sky. Broadband tends to just work these days.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Who else felt the urge to watch Contagion last week?

Bottle of whiskey, Contagion and Children of Men double bill (I like to think Zika and Corona got together to stomp on human fertility). Maybe add in that London Bridge scene from 28 days later. A good Saturday night.

Maybe get a bit of Hitchhikers in there as well: Don't Panic

[img]https://lpix.org/3670182/justTheFluBro].PNG[/img]

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

...how exactly are they going to "close down cities?"

Churchill spirit, fight the virus on the beaches, we survived two world wars and one world cup, rationing is coming home baby.

I actually went looking for 'Boris Johnson Noises' to make this post more realistic, and...

The reality of course is that hahaha we can't enforce a quarantine what the gently caress do you think this is, a country that hasn't stripped its police, hospitals and military to the bone?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

how are they gonna deal with our people's rebellious, independent spirit? unlike the deferent and cowed chinese

:thejoke: but ... queuing politely to be let into the mass grave at Hyde Park.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/coronavirus-plan-london-sees-40000-21599929

quote:

Contingency plans have been drawn by the London Resilience Partnership (LRP) – which includes the London Resilience Team (LRT) – about what options would be on the table in “significant event” such as a viral outbreak.

It comes as the Cabinet Office reportedly briefed local authorities to prepare their excess deaths plans for a large coronavirus outbreak on Wednesday.

Daily Star Online unearthed the document titled the London Excess Deaths Framework which details the capital’s options in the event of a crisis like coronavirus.

Grim considerations discuss what to do with bodies, such as how to store and bury them, and a “reasonable worst case scenario” in which it is estimated 39,600 people die.

The 42-page document breaks down each issue of a mass death event – providing suggested solutions for the London authorities.

Documents describe an around additional 1,058 people dying per week should London be hit with a “reasonable worst case” epidemic.

The excess death plan explains that local authorities would have to find more space bodies – including possibly in warehouses and hangers.

It also describes easing legislation on declarations of deaths and inquests to more quickly bury or burn bodies.

And in terms of transporting bodies, the document describes the need may arise to bring in the military to help move corpses.

In a statement to Daily Star Online, the Cabinet Office said: “We have been clear from the outset that we expect coronavirus to have some impact on the UK, which is why we are planning for every eventuality – including the reasonable worst case scenario.

“Crucially this does not mean we expect it to happen.

“Public safety is our top priority and while there are currently only 19 confirmed cases in the UK, we have a team of public health experts and scientists working round the clock to make sure the NHS and UK more widely is fully prepared.”

This comes as MP Nickie Aiken said plans were already in place in London, reports Bloomberg.

She said: “We have contingency plans to open up a morgue in Hyde Park, in tents.

“We would run the morgue for most of central London.”

Oh yeah by the way it looks like 120,000 police, 146,500 across all branches of the military and 36,000 'volunteer reserve' who like to lick government jackboots. So ~300,000 'authority figures' enforcing the quarantine with billy club and musket, on an island of 66.4 million people.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

I was looking for another smilie and saw this, thought I'd bring back the good times of late November.

:swinson:

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Babies and young kids seem literally immune, there hasn't been a single death so far. Unlike the Spanish Flu which killed by sending the immune system of relatively healthy people into overdrive / causing Cytokine storms, Covid-19 seems pretty much aimed at taking out Boomers / immunocompromised people.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Some interesting theories floating around (that I can't find the source for right now) about how more recent exposure to other flu strains in nursery / early life might explain why kids seem not to get it.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I was using 'flu' as a generic term. The theory goes that more recent exposure to HCoV-OC43 in children than adults might explain why they have milder symptoms.

http://virological.org/t/remarkable-age-distribution-of-oc43-vs-sars-cov-2-in-china/399

quote:

In their preliminary analysis of the clinical parameters of COVID-19, from the first 425 patients, Li et al noted that there were no pediatric cases, and that the median age was 59 years old. While there are sure to be pediatric cases now that the total number of confirmed cases has topped 70,000, the impression has been that the pediatric age group has been very much spared a major impact from SARS-CoV-2.

Li et al surmised that perhaps the pediatric age group had some inherent resistance to SARS-CoV-2 infection via the non-specific immune response. While there is precedent for such clinical resistance in other viral infections, such as Hepatitis A and Epstein Barr virus, another explanation may lie in the annual exposure of this age group to other coronaviruses causing upper respiratory disease.

In 2018, Zhang et al published a five-year survey of upper respiratory disease in Guangzhou, to the south of Hubei province in Guangdong province, focusing on the principal upper respiratory coronavirus, OC43. Not only was OC43 circulating in four of the five years, but also throughout the year. Other coronaviruses HXU1, 229E and NL63 were less prominent, but there was an outbreak of upper respiratory coronavirus infection every year, likely continuing to this day. Furthermore, the age distribution of those viruses was markedly skewed to the very young pediatric age group.

Thus, infants in China are exposed to OC43 and other upper respiratory coronaviruses every year of their early life. It is likely that their surface immunity to these viral agents is regularly boosted.

As always this is probably talking so much bullshit and we won't really know until months down the line, if ever.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Whoop whoop, Boris is releasing his Corona virus 'battle plan' tomorrow. This should be amusing, in a darkly morbid way.

Let's be honest tho, still doing better than the US.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

whoever is in charge of the bbc one programme informing the public about the coronavirus needs to be fired

Shut down the loving BBC, they're not fit for purpose under a Tory government.

Ooh, I've actually just remembered I used to have an army surplus NBC suit that I used for paintballing. You know, the ones with the activated charcoal that gets bloody everywhere. Faaairly sure it won't fit me anymore though.

https://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/store/British-Army-New-Genuine-Issue-DPM-NBC-Chemical-Suits-p81546312

Sold out, obviously. Also, maybe don't read the guardian if you want to sleep tonight.

quote:

Coronavirus: just eight out of 1,600 doctors in poll say NHS is ready

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/02/coronavirus-just-eight-out-of-1600-doctors-in-poll-say-nhs-is-ready

E: Also a 12 year old NBC suit ain't gonna do poo poo, obviously. I think the effective lifetime once out of the vacuum pack was a couple of days.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 2, 2020

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

The Guardian is terminally shite in a lot of ways, but slightly less shite than every other mainstream media outlet we currently have going. At least they occasionally let an interesting voice or attempt at actual journalism surface, gasping for air.

Let's be honest even 'balanced' articles from the BBC end up feeling very TERF adjacent, like their headline from this morning.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51676020

quote:

NHS gender clinic 'should have challenged me more' over transition

RockyB fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 3, 2020

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah but as far as we know the Graun isn't complicit in a police cover up of decades of grooming and paedophilia. So... slightly less poo poo :shrug:?

E: Have some Guardian adjacent solidarity. I like to think he just scowls bitchily at Moore until she leaves the room.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1234602769543311360?s=19

RockyB fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 3, 2020

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/generation-must-start-thinking-others-stop-spread-coronavirus/

quote:

'Generation Me' must start thinking about others if we're to stop the spread of coronavirus

Anybody got access to this, I want to get good and angry at the woman who claimed the kid lying on the floor in A&E was faked.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

baka kaba posted:

you can do f12 to get into dev tools, go into the Console tab and type document.body.innerText and that should do the same thing (might depend on the level of malarkey)

In true modern software development style, I prefer outsourcing all the technical work to randos on the Internet.

E: BEWARE THE IDES OF UKMT MARCH

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was just thinking (yes, really) maybe they could have a pay per article as in say 5p or thereabouts and cap it at the monthly cost.

This was how the 90s Internet was supposed to work. Then came ads, and surveillence capitalism...

E: See error code 402, payment required. Micropayment infrastructure was never implemented to use it.

Also FYI you can disable javascript based blocks very easily by just... disabling Javascript. If you only want to do it for one tab, open chrome developer tools (F12), press F1, choose 'Disable javascript' from debugging options. Then refresh the page. Will go away once you close dev tools/the tab.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 4, 2020

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Well, FlyBe just went tits up.

https://twitter.com/SimonCalder/status/1235324067709935617?s=19

One less infection vector I guess...

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The gently caress is happening with that plane?

Whattup

I mean it could be worse

I agree though, it's the colour scheme that makes it.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Normally when they want to make unexploded munitions safe they blow them up.

Given that they retired a bunch of WE.177A nuclear depth charges in the late 90s, what would have happened if they'd done that?

BLUE HADES would be rather pissed off, but ultimately unaffected.

quote:

No.” Angleton’s expression is implacable. “Water absorbs the energy of a nuclear explosion far more effectively than air. You get a powerful pressure wave, but no significant heat or radiation damage: the shock wave is great for crushing submarines, but much less effective against undersea organisms at ambient pressure. We could hurt them, but nothing like as badly as they could hurt us. And as for the rest of it — he gestures at the screen ” — they could have wiped us out before we discovered them, if they were so inclined. They have access to technologies and tools we can barely begin to imagine.

They are the Deep Ones, BLUE HADES, a branch of an ancient and powerful alien civilization. Some of us suspect the threat of the super-tsunami is a distraction. It’s like an infantryman pointing his bayonet-tipped assault rifle at a headhunter, who sees only a blade on a stick. Don’t even think about threatening them, we exist because they bear us no innate ill will, but we have at least the power to change that much if we act rashly.”

Just went to Tesco, pretty much nobody there. But apparently there was a huge run on pasta earlier in the day, and they've got a big pallet of tesco's own hand wash and dettol cleaner stuck on the end of several aisles.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

You know we might all die of climate change but it's been a really nice sunny week.

I cycled three miles to the station yesterday evening and I nearly got frostbite, it was pissing it down that hard.

E: Something life affirming about cramming into a overcrowded train carriage with sodden trousers and hands that won't stop shaking from the cold. gently caress you British Weather.

quote:

Much discomfort was based on human expectations. As a man, I expected to be warm and dry when I chose to be. Animals did not harbour any such beliefs. So it was raining. Rain meant being cold and wet. Once I acknowledged that and stopped comparing it to what I wished it to be, the conditions were far more tolerable. I set out.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 6, 2020

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1235948265524297728?s=20

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Email should be compulsory these days or expect to be left out.

But surely in order to avoid disenfranchising voters who do not have easy access to the internet (such as Roma, the homeless who somehow afford a Labour subscription), this would require some sort of nationalised broadband that is free at the point of use...

Ah.

E: Super Cut: All voting should be done via Tik Tok reaction videos.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

After a mysterious virus wreaks havoc in the United Kingdom, a team of survivors tries to cope with the aftermath of the disaster and find security.

Oh come on, you can't post on page 28 without linking to the London In Two Weeks Time video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANoJmwqdisM

Thankfully I am now working a few miles out from London bridge, and I am no longer concerned about hacking up phlegm as I slowly suffocate to death from infected lungs Narwhal tusk wielding vigilantes.

In general though yeah, I'd stay right away from anything involving housing associations. It's one of the few things I can think of that are worse than local politics.

E: I've been looking for an excuse to post this so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqoUDGJ4g2A A good song.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Centrism is a loving disease.

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1235904083808194563?s=19

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Britain, 2020: Please ignore the ongoing health and economic crisis

I still think it was caused by friction burns.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Silent disco but for speeches would be a great idea. You could have multiple different speakers on at the same time, and one channel for music.

I want to link to the zombie dance party in Daybreakers, but it looks like Netflix has deleted all copies off YouTube. Everyone just wearing headphones and raving away silently.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Wait I was thinking of the zoomer zombie comedy series Daybreak https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P9U41e75tE

(The series that finally made me feel old and out of touch with youth culture)

Daybreakers was also a good movie though, I might actually go watch it right now.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCBbxYVx8xQ

quote:

Fun fact about this girl: she is revealed through promotional material to be Patient Zero, committing suicide over the heavy guilt of starting a global outbreak that turns people into bloodthirsty killers.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 8, 2020

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah, so for those in here who don't follow the doomsday economics thread tomorrow is looking very, very bad. We might be looking at another black monday situation.

Or maybe not! Markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent, etc.

(I moved all of my pensions into cash before Christmas).

E:

Oh hey, it's like going to the dog racing. Always bet on the greyhound that takes a massive dump while on parade, he's getting rid of excess weight.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 8, 2020

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Okay I just double checked, the financial services compensation scheme covers 'small company' bank accounts up to £85,000, same as it covers personal bank accounts. No need to desperately take extra dividends from the company I haven't quite shut down tonight.

p.s. that means anyone in this thread who isn't directly exposed to the stock market is probably only hosed in terms of businesses dying, losing jobs etc. Not losing savings.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

I mean if it really does all go to poo poo I know that I can wander on to the local aerodrome and make off with one of the PA-28s (which generally have the key chained to the dashboard) pretty easy soo...

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah so

Today is probably worse than 2008. But it's fine, we've just voted in a strong and stable Tory government to see us through the next five yea... ahahahahahaha.

Don't have to force companies to give quarantined employees sick pay if nobody is employed anymore :thunk:

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

SNP are stepping up their Coronavirus response task force

https://i.imgur.com/V8QWtfq.mp4

(Shamelessly stolen from the Corona thread)

Been hearing quite a lot about empty shelves in London supermarkets from people who live there. Out just past the M25, four fully stocked supermarkets with nary a bare shelf to be seen.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm not leaving the house tomorrow

Just spent three hours cleaning and sanitising every surface in the house. Not because of the 'rona, because my cleaner is coming in tomorrow.

(Yes, I pay a nice lady to come in for a couple of hours every fortnight and 'clean', purely so I get that spike of 'oh god I don't want her to think I'm a disgusting slob' to motivate myself. This is both the most British and most bougie thing about me.)

Fake Edit: Goddamn, look at the Etymology on that.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Just got the official email from work. All business related travel, client meetings and roadshows cancelled. Work from home rota being introduced to check that we can support everyone (we upgraded the VPN today). New anti-viral cleaning solution being used, and mandatory 'go the gently caress home' policy for anyone who shows up with a cold.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(Sorry can't find anything on here except this thread!)

Yeah, uh, that isn't a bad thing. Lot of early 2000s style posting still going on in some of the more interesting sub-forums.

The new popup thing is massively irritating, especially the cookie banner that just takes you to the homepage. Why did they have to choose now to add the first new forums feature in the past decade?

E:

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 10, 2020

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

It's like minion memes: if it makes you want to tear your hair out in a seething hot rage, you aren't the target audience. They are a coping mechanism, a desperate cry of agony from the hearts of milquetoast, boring arseholes. A bleat of distress in trying times, identifying yourself to the herd and seeking gentle reassurance.

Alternatively, we can go back to crispchat / a couple of pages of https://thiscatdoesnotexist.com/

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

I mean if nothing else this page has made me go listen to old RATM songs and mentally tie them to the Labour leadership election, so it counts as a net positive in my eyes.

(This is obviously an analogy for living in a neoliberal hellscape and gently caress Maggie)

Looks like the race is on to see in Trump or the De Pfeffel gets it first then!

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

blunt posted:

Has Boris visited Brenda since the Womens day reception?

Gibbo Knew, he was just temporally misplaced. Goddamn though, yeah this could finally take out the Bulletproof Queen, Philip and Charles in one shot. And even deny us funeral mourning street parties :argh:

This one is obviously about the threat of a centrist entryism in the Labour party, and the necessity for the mass movement of momentum to counteract it.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Yup, turns out Boris and most senior politicians are actually asymptomatic super spreaders. No hospital break room is safe, nor the wee bairns squalling from a politicians rubbery kiss.

The Scots bravely fighting for their independence from the benighted English. :scotland:

I mean, this is just a straight up condemnation of the news media whitewashing the Tories and the complacency which led so many to vote against their class interests; against Labour.

Okay, okay, I'll stop now.

E: Huh, actually didn't know Maggies Farm was a Dylan song. Learn something every day.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 11, 2020

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

That whole album is covers tho...

My 15 year old mind is blown. I genuinely never realised.

CGI Stardust posted:

Problem is, if she (or any Tory) gets critical they'll end up taking a ventilator slot away from someone who might not be a dreadful person. Choices, choices

Let's be honest if any Tory gets ill, they won't be going to the NHS. They'll have a private hospital with their own individual ventilator, not having to share one like the plebs.

The poo poo coming out of Italy in some of the worst hit areas is goddamn scary, when you consider they have a better rated (*) health care system than ours. ICUs running at 200% capacity, nasty triage decisions having to be made, drafting in med students and specialists as front-line docs. I really, really hope it doesn't get that bad over here because we're hosed if it does.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 11, 2020

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1237504110967943168?s=20

HOLY poo poo

quote:

Nadine Dorries first felt ill last Friday as she was signing a statutory instrument which made coronavirus a 'notifiable' disease

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Once upon a time I was told that 'American Intelligence' was a perfect oxymoron, much like 'Microsoft Works'. I don't know why I'm suddenly reminded of that fact.

quote:

The new boss’s first task will be to publish a report on Russia’s influence on the British establishment, which Boris suppressed in the run up to December’s general election.

Harsh, harsh words from the Scum towards His Worship The Honorable Lord and Prime Minister Bozza there. Wonder if they edit that.

E: Oh right, remember everybody we're going to have a budget tomorrow! I'm sure a couple of minor giveaways will stop this virus thingie in its tracks. Tune in at 12.30!

Best part? At 18 months I think this is officially the longest ever gap between government budgets. And it's getting done by someone whos been in the job for less than a month. Strong and Stable!

RockyB fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Oh great, we're copying the Amercians and trying to quantitatively ease our way out of what is fundamentally a supply / labour issue.

https://twitter.com/bankofengland/status/1237635066089611265

Gotta prop up those banks while doing absolutely nothing for the average person.

Quick, roll out the distraction dog!

https://twitter.com/BBCNormanS/status/1237647490545078272