Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Boris Johnson bravely proving that coronavirus isn’t a threat to the uk by forcing his mistresses unborn child to eat a big ball of coronavirus right infront of a giant press team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

That, uh, sounds astoundingly risky.

Is there any reason stated as to why they're taking this INCREDIBLY risky approach instead of the far safer that would entail significant shutdowns for the country over a few months, but wouldn't promise catastrophic failure if they get one variable wrong?

Shutting everything down would result in a recession, boris and the tories have spent literally the last 12 years claiming that the 2008 recession was entirely labours fault (rather than say thatchers, majors and blairs banking deregulation), so they'll be damned if they cause one if they can possibly avoid it. Even if it results in everyone dying of coronavirus.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The other, more conspiratorial and cynical view is boris wants everything to collapse so he can do one of two things:
1. "oh no the NHS couldn't cope with the coronavirus outbreak because it's a government run institution, we have no choice but to sell it to blue shield insurance"/
2. "I must take on emergency powers after declaring martial law for the good of the country in order to turn this parliament into a dictatorship and save the UK. All hail life minister johnson!!"

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Can't wait for boris to kick the door of buckingham palace down with the armies of Capita controlled DWP death sqauds to yell at the queen "I AM THE PARLIAMENT"

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Jesus gently caress.

I thought the US's response was bad but goddamn...

I wish you all the best.

Trumps response is driven by two things:
1. Dementia
2. Not understanding science.
3. Seemingly genuinely believing that dieseases are caused by democrats and foreigners

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Private Speech posted:

If you think about it enough people dying could help with the gdp/pc a fair bit, especially after the epidemic ends.

Both in the obvious way and in more resources for less people way, especially considering who would die.

In cinemas this summer: "Covid 19: Boomer Remover pt 2: The Reckoning"

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

No More Toast posted:

Not sure if it's paranoia talking, but it feels like I might be developing a fever. Also it looks like thermometers have gone the same way as loo rolls, as I can't find any that will arrive quickly online anywhere. I'm already coughing so seems like it'll be full steam ahead on the self-isolation train! Cannot wait to slowly go insane in my tiny flat.

When this first started feeling serious I thought Boris & Co would be able to swing this to their advantage. As each day goes by this seems less and less likely but even if this somehow does tank the Tories I'd rather it also didn't result in thousands of people dying needlessly.

Thousands? Sadly not. Even conservative estimates of a 1.2% death rate put that at 850 thousand, the more reasonable assessment (that china is fudging the figures to avoid a panic in china) put it at 3.4% which is 2.4 million. Basically. We're hosed.

The only upside is this might make people understand that cutting everything to the fuckin' chine just because it's working at this second in perfect conditions leads to an unstable system where the smallest problem results in the entire thing collapsing. Might result in people re-assessing if they really want to pay 2% less tax in order to have their parents and grandparents die of preventable lung complications.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

They're absolutely going to come out of this saying that EU regulations slowed down our response but since we've TAKEN BACK CONTROL it definitely won't happen again in future also no we need to leave all these infringements on civil liberties in place and people will still loving vote for them because they're terrified their house prices will go down.

Pretty much this, "Houses as an investment" was the greatest golden handcuff the world has ever known. Keep voting tory for life now you're a homeowner or corbynistas will break into your estate agent and take a 0 off the end of all the listings!!!!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Hearing reports in London that the government is closing Thorpe park to turn it into a mass grave, scary stuff.

However in real news went shopping today around Birmingham and holy poo poo it’s like the apocalypse, security posted at the end of the toilet roll and soap aisles confiscating peoples stuff if they are taking too much, police being called due to an argument about how much milk you can take resulting in an irate man taking a swing at a security guard. Absolutely mental.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

namesake posted:

Speaking of renter woes, there's going to be serious issues in the next two months of people being unable to pay rent due to their workplaces being shut or they are isolating themselves. Capital doesn't give a gently caress about creating more homeless people at a moment of crisis and this will be no exception even if it's delayed a tiny bit. ACORN has a petition going to try and get some measures in place to protect them and you all should sign it.

http://chng.it/pkwc8vL4h9

Why do you think the government is so keen not to shut things? They know full well there is a HUGE debt bubble caused by people buying on credit and if they shut everything down that will burst. Banks will go bust and it will straight up cause another recession.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I work for a group that does injection moulded plastic parts and I feel I should suggest we try to quickly design a ventilator and it get to production ASAP but we also have zero electrical engineers and also are unlikely to have the liability insurance for medical devices. Currently we just mainly do toilets, lol.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Katt posted:

So hows Labour? I heard all leadership candidates signed a pledge to give a Zionist group the power to expel Labour members at will and were going to use this to boot Corbyn. How did that go?

Turns out everyone in the Labour Party is an antisemite for not giving Israel the right to drop as much white phosphorous on schools as they like, but it’s all okay now because apparently since the election the problem just disappeared instantly so I guess all the antisemites died on their way back to their home planet. Or maybe the issue was entirely manufactured by the right wing supporting media based on some random tweets and “evidence” that seems to consist of “labour party members were really cross at this member of labour for Israel for repeatedly yelling to vote conservative and the fact the member was Jewish makes this antisemitism”

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I can see at the end of all this there being a huge political realignment in this country. Looks like the billionaires and the bankers are already firing people left and right and centre to make sure they don't lose money in a time of national crisis, while already begging the government for handouts to cover their coronavirus losses which they'll almost certainly get thanks to "too big 2 fail lol", while simultainously the NHS collapses from underfunding and 800 thousand people die from a prevetable disease.
I'd like to think people will think of that when they're wondering which party has their best, and the countries best interests at heart.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Translation: whoops we did a bribery and the police proceedings would make the company unsaleable

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

“Breaking: government to change plans after discovering 250k old people dying will lose them the next election”

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Wachter posted:

I know it's incredibly first order thinking schadenfreude and insensitive to all the low-paid staff that will lose their jobs, but gently caress Tim Martin

Just lol if you think he's gonna lose anything from this. Tim Martin will get a huge government bailout along with every other company that supported the tories. The people he employed are likely gonna get made unemployed and have to wait a minimum of 6 weeks before they can get a UC payment which will not even cover rent.

Final crisis of capitalism time, lets go.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

gonna fight the coronavirus on the beaches of our 80 year olds lungs

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

xtothez posted:

We're nearly out of beer & wine, but there is a silver lining. Raising a child means our spirit collection has grown considerably faster that it could be consumed over last couple of years.

Lmao same, except I generally have a drink with dinner and don’t like spirits like that, so I’ve found that Ribena and sherry with water is an acceptable long drink when everything else is gone. Absinthe and elderflower cordial is also good. Whisky is a tricky one but mixes well with ginger beer with a wedge of lime, but this requires ginger beer. If you have any ginger cordial that might work.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

vodka and orange or pineapple squash is pretty acceptable as well, particularly if chilled. Have yet to find anything I can get away with putting rum in except for hot chocolate, which isn’t ideal because hot chocolate supplies are running low. I believe perhaps mixing rum with fruit syrup from tinned fruit and then gently warming it with said tinned fruit may work.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Does the landlord realise if he evicts all of his tenants, and 2.5 million people have become recently unemployed, he will be defaulting on his mortgages?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Assuming he has mortgages. He might own all outright.

Funny joke

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Luckily it’s so easy to win a libel case in the uk provided there is no evidence that the claim is in fact true that are man Dom will be suing post haste, right? Or maybe he won’t because he knows it’ll lose in court and then it’s a matter of public record that he wanted all pensioners to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Have we considered that all the olds dying of a preventable disease due to their own hubris may in fact be the change that britain not only needs, but the one it frankly, deserves?