Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Isomermaid posted:

Top quality meat bargains

Reminds me of a jingle on Coventry Free Radio (probably still on) that just went "meat, meat, meat, meat, meat, meat, meat, meat, wholesale meats!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

EmptyVessel posted:

Lol. There's more of them than you'd think. People have been clumsily stealing the concepts of "power plants", "plant teachers", "medicine plants" etc. from indigenous groups longer than anyone posting in this thread has been alive. The 60s counter-culture massively expanded on this and, with a boost from the 90s shamania (everything is shamans!!), it's now firmly at the heart of the whole New Age witchdoctor-racket. Lot of dodgy folks making money off of middleclass 'seekers'/Guardian hack types looking for reassurance that they are actually spiritual beings via taking an "authentic" trip.

Occasional arguments with my younger brother where I try to convince him that doing Ayahuasca with a shaman in Amsterdam doesn't mean that the subsequent invitation to spend several months living in the Brazilian rainforest is anything other than joining a bog-standard cult, which he can absolutely do at home.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Angepain posted:

how in the blithering gently caress do you enforce the right of people to be invited to speak by student societies

You just make it a crime to do anything for an ethical reason. It dovetails neatly with the proposed bans on BDS.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Why contain it? S’cool.

Even Bob Page wanted them to beg him to save them, the gently caress does Boris want.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Josef bugman posted:

But more people will quite literally die every day from car accidents than will die of this.

If the hospitals are in meltdown due to coronavirus, that number will go up proportionately.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

bionic vapour boy posted:

I feel like the answer to this is going to be "no" in Tory Hell Country but I'm wondering if there's any of you know if there's anything I can do if my letting agent is.... really poo poo?

In the 3 months since the landlord handed over to them they've let the guy they had doing some maintenance work sleep in one of the unlet rooms without telling us, regularly given us no notice at all when they were sending people over, and done basically nothing about the mice problem we have despite saying someone would be over next day (about a week ago now).

Today the owner of the cleaning company our agent uses came over to show around a new cleaner without any warning, and when one of my housemates asked who she was she flew off the handle and basically told him to keep his nose out of her business. Her business in our house.

It's really just exhausting and we're constantly being reminded that they don't really consider us as much more at home here than the loving mice!

Change the locks, but get ready to move cause they'll kick right off.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I've been finding twitter especially bad for being a non-stop feed of "crisis is coming" anxiety. Staying away from that for the forseeable future.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://twitter.com/davemacladd/status/1240228080003821568?s=20

When I was doing my PhD and the internet was a new born babe with only 33kbps, I was essentially working from home except on Fridays.
Within a couple of weeks I realized that I MUST NOT turn the tv on before 6pm unless it was the weekend, a bank holiday or I was officially sick.

Pfft, I got a Phd AND a comprehensive knowledge of Quincy, Bullseye and Deep Space Nine.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Josef bugman posted:

poo poo, am I going to have to learn how to farm in order to just do what my ancestors did all over again. Gosh darn it.

Anyone got any good advice on how to be a landless peasant?

Shame on the UKMT for forgetting a one-time thread hero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adcNphsrmog

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Everywhere around me is picked clean aside from the really expensive stuff, even the corner shops.

A huge success for the government's policy of extremely non-specific foreboding.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

ᴄᴀᴘɪᴛᴀʟɪsᴍ ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀs ᴇғғɪᴄɪᴇɴᴄʏ

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

BalloonFish posted:

This is encouraging for me, because it was appearing that the job I began on March 2 and was let go from on Wednesday meant that I started a few days too late and was let go a few days too early to be eligible for the subsidy.

That makes lots of sense, making it subject to the whims of the employer is the bonkers part.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Most cursed avatar material

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Azza Bamboo posted:

This is just S&M without the latex

Well yeah, that chair would go straight through and poo poo's expensive.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

TACD posted:

Shopping trip report: Went into Waitrose (it's right by my flat OK) at 9 on the dot after the elderly hour and things seemed a lot more normal. Last time I went there was a sense of barely-restrained middle class panic but it felt a lot more sedate today. They're still completely out of loo roll and pasta but packed with everything else, there's even soap and paracetamol and antibacterial wipes which were all looted last weekend. Hopefully the panic buying has crested at least.

Gah, I was hoping to get to Waitrose by 10 today but I've a queue of wfh meetings so I'm not going to get there till 11:30 and it's going to be a milk-less wasteland.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just went to my Waitrose (3 mins walk from home) and Home Bargains (1 min walk from home). Still no bog roll. That's over a week now with no bog roll in either store.

Against all odds, came back with nine rolls of Royal Assent. Flour(???) and eggs still wiped out but bog roll, pasta and bananas were almost-but-not-quite, which is better than the last few days. Bread and milk was plentiful.

peanut- posted:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1242011054986723328

Why is this whole thing still being run as if it's a cabinet reshuffle or something? Anonymous briefings and unnamed sources leaking stories to Laura K to test the waters and see if the public like it.

What's most infuriating is the journalists pretend that they don't know this is what's going on, and they're "just reporting".

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

feedmegin posted:

This is what you get if you can't find bread. Surprising number of people forget to also get yeast, though.

Shitloads of bread though, but completely wiped out on every variety of flour, even the ones that are no use for that.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Non essential deliveries replaced with an ad hoc distributed exercise network of joggers and cyclists gradually relaying goods across the nation.

Thankfully I have my deliveroo outfit I signed up for and never used. Basically a free pass

Ah, I see you've played Death Stranding.

e: 195 was the year Clodius, Britain's entry into the Eurovision Roman Emperor contest, crossed into Gaul.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

ThomasPaine posted:

wait how do I dry out my fleshlight at my parent's house when we're all under quarantine

quickly

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Someone's abandonned a big orange suitcase just over the junction from my flat. Bit concerning.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

How is the leaf-blowing man an essential service. Why is he continuing to torment my attempts to wfh during a lockdown.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

...did you read the letter?

It's specifically parodying Femi Oluwole's rejection, for which he was yelling at Owen Jones(?) for the better part of a day:

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1242328289462628352

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Julio Cruz posted:

my 3-year-old niece loves Hey Duggee, Sarah and Duck, Blaze and the Monster Machines, and Paw Patrol (the last two I find intensely annoying but they've got good messages so I tolerate them)

Paw Patrol you say?

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/paw-patrol-mighty-pups-cartoon-canines-in-fascistic-mission-1.3893125

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

"Your appointment to the nudge unit should be finalised within the week, I have already discussed the matter with the Prime Minister."
"I take it he was agreeable?"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1243511080602808321

???

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Kin posted:

In a strange anecdote, I recently went into a Frankie and Bennys with a friend who has a servere nut allergy.

When he mentioned it, they came back and made him sign a waiver before ordering.

I've never seen that before, it was surreal.

Have never had that, even at Frankie and Bennys. You get some proper oddball reactions though.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

OzyMandrill posted:

Nope. From the bbc:

gutteral screaming noise

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

XMNN posted:

this is so incredibly, incredibly poo poo that I thought they must have misinterpreted the advice but nope, here it is

it's stupid that you don't have to restart the clock if a second or third person develops symptoms, because it assumes that the first person definitely had coronavirus and passed it to the second and third ones when, without a positive test (lol), mum's and child 1's cough could have just been a normal cold or something and they could still be susceptible to infection from dad who actually does have it

it's absolutely loving insane that someone who didn't develop symptoms during the initial 14-day isolation period doesn't restart the clock every time another person comes down with symptoms. What on earth is the rationale for that? they may have had an asymptomatic case or just as likely they just might not have caught it (or developed symptoms) yet, but either way they're potentially living with an infective covid patient. If they weren't living with a third person who had previously had a cough the advice would be to isolate, so what is it about someone else previously having had a cough that makes a difference?

for the first one, yeah, on the balance of probabilities if multiple people living in close quarters come down with similar symptoms in quick succession then it might well ve the same bug getting passed around, but I can't think of any reason for assuming that just because someone didn't get infected by the first person in their household to have a bug they won't pick it up from the second or third person to have it

also the advice is presented in a pretty confusing manner and I feel like I'm reading a badly translated boardgame rule book

The underlying assumption is that the isolation is perfect and a family of four living in one house and feeding each other can have 100% chance of not giving or gaining the virus once they're in isolation. It's bonkers.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

ah phew!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Thread is getting a little fatalistic, maybe we could curve the mood back up a bit?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

justcola posted:

How big will the coronavirus memorial be do you think?

I think they'll find some space for it around the base of the monument to boris's glorious brexit.

e:

Barry Foster posted:

i don't know if it's come up yet but i'm sure you'll all be happy to know that Paul Chuckle got the bug but he's on the mend now

Some good news. Was hearing unconfirmed reports that he was passing it back and forth.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I managed to swipe a bag of wholemeal bread flour and a bag of 00 pasta-making flour this morning, I was ecstatic.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1244985284762185729

lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

i'm iphone

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

^ you'll be fine, dw. So long as you wrote the thing and your supervisor thought it wasn't poo poo, it's just a question of how much they'll going to ask you to polish.

hemale in pain posted:

what the gently caress is the free speech union

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://www.ft.com/content/805e23ae-61ee-11e9-a27a-fdd51850994c

quote:

At its opening share price, Zoom is worth $19bn based on a fully-diluted share count. That tops the current $15bn market cap of Snap, the messaging service whose IPO two years ago was seen as a highlight for the consumer internet.

Silicon Valley-based Zoom had originally set an indicated price range on its shares at $28-30, before raising the range and eventually pricing the offering at $35. The deal leaves Eric Yuan, the company’s co-founder and chief executive officer, with a stake worth $3bn. That is nearly as much as the $3.2bn Cisco paid 12 years ago to buy Webex, one of the biggest business video conferencing companies, where Mr Yuan was also one of the original engineers.

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1244288588633825280

Zoom absolutely exploded in the last few years to a degree that's mad even for Silicon Valley, it's just the people buying it and getting excited for it were entirely the kind of people who get to decide which video conferencing software your office uses.