Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Was a good initial D&D pre-session, cheers all :)

My character was already arrested by the secret police and thrown in a cell, for the crime of I dunno, sleeping while elvish I suppose

Hiton ihmiset, he mutters in his high elven language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

RT is great for any news outside of Russia,

no it loving isn't what the gently caress

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Julio Cruz posted:

today I helped my sister and brother-in-law remove their deck and discover, to everyone's surprise, that there was another deck underneath

turns out the previous owner had, rather than remove the deck and redo it, just screwed a load of fence planks down onto it :psyduck: and I'm pretty sure he was a handyman or some sort of tradie so I hope he didn't bodge up other people's jobs like he bodged this one

This is one of the least suprising things I've read tbh

I used to live in a place here in the UK where somebody had slightly scratched some of the ceramic tiles on the kitchen floor and then decided to put an ugly plastic mat on top of the whole thing, rather than try to fix the tiles. It was impressive how loving bad that mat was.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
The oil price thing causing all the stocks to fall massively is a bit surprising, since one would think that raw materials getting cheaper should actually help all the firms that are using said raw materials to, you know, produce goods and whatnot (and there are many more of those firms than the ones that make money by moving oil around). But then you remember the current insane state of the economy in general

I've seen articles recently saying that the economy has somehow become reliant on ridiculous bubbles, for example, could someone with access summarise this one: US economy is dangerously dependent on Wall Street whims tia

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

One of the nice things about having no money or pension or anything is that when the market explodes it mostly ruins other people :v:

Guess why so many people voted for Brexit

That quote, "it's your bloody GDP, not ours", remains one of the best summaries I've ever read not just of Brexit but the state of the all of the economies in recent decades

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

Next week we ask: Karl Marx is buried in Highgate cemetery - is this a communist plot?

you gotta pay 5 quid to see his grave

now that's capitalism

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Yeah so, looking at these two trackers:

UK coronavirus tracker
Italy coronavirus tracker

The one for Italy was at the same number of cases as the UK is now - about 14 days ago.

Looking forward to the entire UK shutting down two weeks from now of course the kicker is that it's already way too late to prevent this from spreading, should have been done like four weeks ago

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

ThomasPaine posted:

I wonder if we're in a cold war we don't even realise is happening...

this has been the case for decades fyi

in the west everybody somehow stopped caring about anything at all sometime back in the early 1980s. some people say it happened after the soviet union collapsed but i think that was just a coincidence, reagan & thatcher were already long before

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NCStinn/status/1235238858020843522

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

So I just heard the UK is trying to speedrun the coronavirus???

Is this right? You all can't seriously be actively trying to steepen the curve right?

i see you are not acquainted with the infinite brain power of prime minister johnson and actual prime minister dominic cummings

it's interesting though that it's more difficult than usual to apply hanlon's razor to this, since johnson & cummings are both very evil and very, very stupid

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

The Question IRL posted:

So if this outbreak continues for months (and the science is pointing to that.) Then the Brexit negotiations are going to be on hold, right?

what does your heart tell you

alternative answer: hahahahaha

e: what i mean is - how do you put that poo poo "on hold", what will happen is, no negotiations, but the cliff edge (for real this time) will keep steadily approaching, because see below

The Question IRL posted:

And that 31st of December deadline can't be extended because Boris put in place legislation saying it couldn't be extended, right?

yes, and also extending it further than whatwasit one year (?) max, one time max, would require changing a bunch of international treaties and whatever the gently caress, so,

covid19 might in fact be making no-deal brexit more likely. neither eu nor uk will have any bandwidth at all to try to, well, anything

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Comrade Fakename posted:

I think that the fact that the government is currently proving that they’re willing to literally sacrifice all their own voters’ lives in order to maintain economic and logistical stability suggests that they will probably plump for a soft Brexit.

that sounds overly optimistic tbh, my reading is more that the govt is currently proving that they are the dumbest motherfuckers in the known universe and therefore will go for the dumbest brexit, which is no deal

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ironically the only bad experience I've ever had with eBay was from a big company I've used multiple times before IRL (and in their defence they were *extremely* good about it). I basically treat it like the electronic car boot sale it is - it's fantastic for random old bits of camera gear, for example - but my main actual use for it is ordering stuff from Argos because Argos still don't seem to understand how to actually do ecommerce.

Hm, I thought the Argos web site isn't quite that bad? Haven't used it more than a couple times though

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The search is essentially useless - it'll fail to show you things they definitely sell and fit the search criteria while showing you half a dozen things only related to the search term by the property "is a physical object that exists", you can't find out if something is in stock without clicking on it, and every once in a while, just for fun, it'll arbitrarily change the store you want to reserve the goods at or flip you over to delivery. I *think* they've finally got Paypal working with it now but that was broken for years for anything other than home delivery (and if I wanted something delivered to my home I can definitely get it cheaper elsewhere).

Yeah ok, I think I knew what I wanted and googled it and ended up on the Argos site, rather than using their search. :v:

In lighter news, how's everyone's mood today, here's mine (CW: heavy metal; covid19; too real)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Darth Walrus posted:

While I recognise that our response has been crap so far, can you really draw that many conclusions about death trajectory when they're in the low double digits? That seems like it could be very much affected by simple luck.

The thing about exponential growth is that inaccuracy in estimates doesn't matter unless it's supermassive. For example, given that the number of cases rises by 30% each day, this means the number of cases doubles in roughly three days. Imagine your estimate of current cases is off by a factor of two. How much more, or less, time do you actually have? Three days.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

justcola posted:

I keep trying to think about how this will affect the economy (lol) as if nobodies getting paid for anything - then what?

If only the government could do something about all this. You know, literally anything at all

Bloody hell, neoliberalism will be the death of us, even more literally than I had imagined

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Prince John posted:

That's much lower than some of the earlier bar graphs I remember, for the 70 and 80+ age groups. Good news potentially? :)

I dunno, that's not exactly great for the older folks

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Josef bugman posted:

Going to get up early tomorrow morning and head right to the biggest supermarket possible and grab some loo paper as we are sort of running out here.

As someone said though, it could be that those shops big enough to park a car next to are the ones that are most severely out of loo roll, might want to consider smaller places too

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Ratjaculation posted:

So how about that Brexit?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Sorry if this question is too morbid, but how do I make a last will and testament in this country?

I don't have any symptoms of anything, but just want to make sure I can give what I have to my girlfriend (we're not married) rather than it automatically going to Prince Andrew's estate or some poo poo

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

this is just loving unbelievable all around

all these neoliberal do-nothing governments are gonna cause their countries to collapse. goddamn failed states

hopefully at least some people will learn the lesson that there are times when the government can, and should, actually loving do something about something. like, at least try

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
woke up this morning with a cough and a sore throat, every day is a loving adventure innit

working from home and listening to good nsfw music, :nws: this one is dedicated to everyone in government :nws:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hearing rumours that H&M, Ikea and some others are gonna shut their stores effective a few hours ago or something

Dunno but wouldn't be surprised if poo poo is just now starting to hit the fan properly... too loving late but oh well

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

I ask because I've been off on sick leave for the last 3 months, which could affect whatever income is coming my way. My girlfriend works 25hrs plus, but is only contracted for 8hrs a week.

This kind of thing is what makes me think that the whole 80% thing is just not going to work. In normal times one could establish a big large bureaucracy to figure out exactly how much everybody in the country earns and from what sources and with what kind of variability and so on and so forth, and this would then take a whole bunch of time, and it would be inaccurate, and... well I guess it would be mostly possible to make sure people don't get more than their fair 80% share or whatever because omg benefit scroungers.

But during a goddamn apocalypse like this, why wouldn't the government simply write every person a cheque right now, done. Takes zero time and people don't loving starve or become homeless while waiting for the wheels to slowly turn. Like say two grand a month per person, every month, automatically. One of the richest countries in the world, could surely afford it. Not holding my breath though when the alternative is that poor people get completely hosed and die on the streets while everyone who can afford to wait for six months will be fine.

(Ok that previous paragraph is hyperbole but y'all get my point)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

Sounds like this could be what forces Cummings out

how do you reckon

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Oodles posted:

I feel like I should be trying to post positivity in here. But:

https://twitter.com/robinmalik/status/1241435942348623872?s=21

:smith:

there is literally nothing that will prevent the UK becoming just the same as Italy - or worse

this has been obvious for at least several weeks now. except if you're the UK government

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
i wonder how risky cycling (in central London) would be, virus-catching-wise

probably not too risky i guess if you don't touch your face. i've been sitting indoors for two days straight now and this poo poo sucks

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

ThomasPaine posted:

I wonder if this will remain relatively concentrated in London and the South East, or if we'll see similar numbers throughout the country in a couple weeks. I guess the capital's density, centralised economic areas where more people work, and cramped public transit does not work in its favour here.

Mate this is already literally everywhere. Why would you think it isn't

It takes like a week or so from infection before symptoms appear, so if in a week or so from now this is not literally everywhere, well, I'd be super happy to be proven wrong

Kassad posted:

None of this adds up to suddenly stopping all testing in Wuhan like Dominic Cummings level morons.

What. Wasn't that just an uncorfimed rumour?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

What the loving gently caress. Is this real

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

No of course they're trevor bastards, as evidenced by oliver law-degree QC.

well given how english generally works, i have no idea whether "laughdugry" is supposed to be pronounced "law degree" or "laff-durrrr" or "laundry" or "potato"

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So uh, y'all were talking about children's TV programmes, how excellent or otherwise is Once Upon a Time: Life? I remember watching that one as a kid and back then it was awesome. Dunno from a more current perspective though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

blunt posted:

See the paragraph above the one you quoted - income protection insurance.

That poo poo might be expensive though. I don't actually know but I can imagine it's not something you necessarily want to always have. Insurance companies will make sure you gotta pay for it, and can't just claim it willy nilly etc

(Obviously the government could do this much more efficiently, just like ordinary unemployment insurance)