Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Marenghi posted:

Even if they weren't sterilized entirely, would the virus survive on them given the journey they'd have made?

Absolutely not.

Two weeks is well beyond safety margin for SARS-COV-2 on any dry surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Isomermaid posted:

Yeah I'm immunocompromised, violently allergic to most antibiotics and my lungs have felt like I've been inhaling chlorinated air for a couple of days, so something's down there. It's probably not Corona, but it's never far from my mind that this might be something my body can't fight off if I get it. My parents are in a dangerous age with pre-existing conditions and I wonder if I'll get to see them.

I feel like there was a time a couple of years ago I'd have thought about chickens coming home to roost for the bitter gammons but somehow it feels real to me now in a way it didn't before and lord knows I've shitposted in this very thread about Coronavirus because what the gently caress can any of us really *do*, but selfish self-preservation has started to kick in and make me just feel really sad about the whole thing.

It feels good to be right but not so good I'm happy about anyone who's wrong dying. Feels like I could've done a better job convincing them than hoping the tidal wave that hits me, hits them first.

A disease is not a lesson in morality.

You couldn't have convinced all of them, and probably not enough to make any difference.

Sometimes life just sucks and the lesson is "sometimes life just sucks".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So last I heard the UK government's response was something along the lines of "we have stockpiles of everything necessary, including sherry, and no one Fortunate enough to live in Britain is going to die of the cough".

Has anything changed?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

namesake posted:

Yes government strategy is "Some of you will die but for now, keep shopping."

I heard something about making sure the elderly don't leave their homes recently though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Barry Foster posted:

Wasn't it that the youth didn't actually bother turning out for Bernie in the end?

That was the most crushing thing of all to me. Ratfucking I can deal with. Brexit ruining everything I can deal with. But when it's your own side loving you over, then all hope is truly lost

I've never lived in a world where hope was a worthwhile endeavor, and neither has anyone else breathing.

Start with the assumption that nothing will go your way and then ask what you wish to do knowing that the struggle is futile and the meaning has to come from nothing more than the act itself.

It is possible to make the world better. It won't last, but nothing lasts. Maybe someone else will pick up the torch after you're done.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sanford posted:

:(:respek::(

So many warnings for saying things would happen which then happened. Like a loving cursed soothsayer or something. Got told off today for saying alas that these dark days should be mine.

I want to check on my neighbours round the corner who are old as poo poo. How do I do this safely or should I just leave them alone? I don’t have phone numbers.

:raise:

A concept thousands of years old and that's how you end up describing it?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Apparently Netflix is down?

Also earlier today the kids managed to watch something on Amazon prime but I can't see a charge anywhere?!?

If you already had prime, probably one of the free with prime shows.

If you didn't, they probably used the trial and it'll charge you if you don't cancel within 30 days. Or 7 days, for some of their trials.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
If you can heat it to 70C for 30min, it'll be fine. Any oven can do this.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

big scary monsters posted:

All video conferencing software is poo poo, but lol that the government is using Zoom of all things. Glad that App Mancock presumably got his moment in the sun showing everyone how it works though.

Zoom's extra poo poo from a company / privacy / security perspective.

Both as being an extra poo poo company and being extra poo poo for companies.

... also on the gang tags, no, they're not in their own folder and haven't been for years, and AdBlock anything is so hilariously out of date you should check if you have transformed into grandmothers recommending them. uBlock Origin is the one you use if you don't want to give an advertising company access to everything you browse.

For videoconferencing there's no options that don't give an advertising company access to everything or require you to roll your own. Yeah, it sucks. Zoom is the worst of the big players though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

big scary monsters posted:

I don't think that's true of Microsoft's offerings. Teams is wank and Skype for Business too, but AFAIK you pay Microsoft for the licenses and that's the product, not your data.

Doesn't mean you aren't giving Microsoft access according to their, uh, versatile privacy policy.

Now they're not supposed to use that data and have proper security controls over the access. Which requires you to trust Microsoft has invested significant money into vetting everyone with access and making sure the access controls work properly under all conditions.