Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I've seen precious little in these threads about the ongoing UCU strikes, plus the CWU are balloting members again soon.

If you have some time, and are near a picket, see if you can help out.
(You can't carry official picket branding etc, but might be able to bulk up numbers, or go get stuff for folks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Wait wait. The former seat of Michael Martin, the first Catholic Speaker of the HoC since the reformation, is now being run by Orange Order types? lol

I think there's been a few boundary changes since he originally stood, and what with ScotLab being pretty poo poo, a lot of folk gave up and went SNP, which means that only the die-hards stuck by Labour, e.g. mostly die-hard unionists.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Scotland's Chief Medical Officer has said as much as 4% of the population could realistically be hospitalised due to coronavirus.

From current COVID-19 survivors, you're looking at an average of 10 days in hospital, if you're hospitalised.

4% of Scotland is 210,000.

Scotland's NHS bed capacity is only about 13,000.

Not all of those 210,000 are gonna be all at once, it's likely this would be spread over maybe 12 months, but that's still going to out a MASSIVE strain on the NHS, and it's in better condition up here than down south.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My feet get cold, so I'm always wearing slippers and socks.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I suppose technically it's stealing which troubles my conscience a little but I just can't afford to buy all these online newspapers just for the odd article here and there. I ought to make more effort to go to the library or get the library's app working on my computer.

Have you considered that all property is theft?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Apparently the government sneaked up a consultation on cracking down on travellers back in November.

https://twitter.com/giacbelloli/status/1235122117508624384?s=19

Please take a look at this and answer as best you can to help protect one of the most marginalised and denigrated communities in the UK.
If you're unsure how to answer good for them, check out the second tweet, it has a link to some tips.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Have an idiot kitten pic, Bugman

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I was watching Question Time (yes I hate myself, why do you ask?) and most of the program was about COVID-19, as can be expected.

The last 10-15 minutes was about the accusations against Priti Patel, and both Margaret Beckett and Layla Moran failed to address this in the one clear way they should be -

https://twitter.com/mehall/status/1235711621340762112

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

They still have Woolworths in South Africa. Last holdout of the brand.

I think there's some in australia too

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Vallejo are excellent, you'll need to thin then down a fair bit before using them too so they last a lot longer than you'd think.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

There are some colour equivalency charts around, but mostly, no, they don't have any kind unified systems like this as far as I'm aware.

It's much more in the veing of craft paints than professional oil colours, in that regard.

Even though it's a reasonably big industry, it's still not Respectable High Art.

Yeah, none of the modelling paint suppliers I'm aware of go into that level of detail.

I used to work in a model shop, and the number of arguments I heard from customers about which colour was the best match for late-war luftwaffe green was crazy,

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1236620152243916803?s=20

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Random Integer posted:

"Its like the flu" is an analogy thats going to cause a lot of problems because most people think the common cold is the flu and have never experienced the real deal.

Yeah, there's a lot of that.

The method I heard recently to teach people if it's the flu is this -

Imagine someone text you right now and said they'd left £50 in an envelope for you on your front step.
If you don't go right now, someone else will probably find it.

If you don't have the energy to get up for the money, it's the flu.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

To be clear, I don't believe this is related to COVID, an aussie supermarket had a massive bulk-deal on toilet paper a week or two ago

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Who else just got a text? Not sure if my local surgery or the government

I got something similar on the 27th, but I'm in Scotland, so that could be either NHS Scotland's decision or my local GP, or the actual Scottish government.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Because this is a civilized country, the dead go in the green garden waste bin and will be collected once every three to four weeks. If they will not fit in the bin you must call the council to arrange collection, any dead not correctly contained within the bin will not be collected and you may be liable for a fine of up to £250 for littering.

But the council charges me £25 for a special uplift now!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

do the thing now, christ

i've gotta say i was pretty sold on sturgeons "we're preparing for the worst case scenario" stuff but the scottish NHS 111 stuff has been every bit as negligent as england's so far

To be fair, we're proportionately testing more people, and have only just had our first community transmission.

There's an argument Scotland is still in the Contain phase than Delay, though banning gatherings etc should still be done for Contain.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Soylent Yellow posted:

I work for a very small company where work from home is pretty much impossible. There are two key staff members there (me and my boss), and the company literally would not be able to function without one of us. I know this because that's what happened last year when I missed a week and a half of work due to a (then apocalyptic) case of the flu. I ended up coming back to work close to a week before I should because the place was falling apart in my absence. The work Coronavirus contingency policy amounts to "Don't get sick".

Sounds like you had warning to create a robust contingency process last year.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ash Crimson posted:

Getting this strange urge to go around care homes and cough in the faces of the elderly, how can I supress these urges

Ash, seriously, take a loving chill pill.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Saros posted:

80+% is the usually accepted number for vaccination work but everyone seems to have settled on 60% for COVID-19 and I have to admit I'm not totally sure why.

It varies from infection to infection.

Ebola's is something like 35% IIRC.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jose posted:

I ordered a bidet I will update the thread on having my arse blasted clean tomorrow :thumbsup:

but when does the bidet arrive?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

jabby posted:

This is depressing primarily because it isn't an example of 'rationing'. It's an example of healthcare staff being too scared for their own well-being to treat a patient.

NIV (non-invasive ventilation) is the standard of care for patients with severe COPD, but in patients with coronavirus it's a hazard because it blows virus all over the room. It IS still advised though, but the patient has to be isolated and everyone involved needs to wear the proper PPE.

In this case the guy probably didn't even have coronavirus, but just because he has respiratory symptoms the doctors were too afraid to go near him and set up the treatment he needs. If he had doctors who were more confident of their PPE (or just less concerned for their own well-being) they would have given him the treatment because that's what we're meant to do.

It's very aggravating, and I hold no illusions about healthcare staff being martyrs. But if you're going to let someone die just because they MIGHT have a disease that MIGHT infect you, what the gently caress are you doing in the hospital anyway? Wear your PPE and do your job.

I'm hearing the available anaesthesiologist had not been fitted for PPE.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Oodles posted:

We’ve had no new deaths in Scotland, but a 100% increase of new cases.

:unsmith:

it's not an 100% increase.
Yesterday was 266 positive, today is 322, for 56 new cases.

The day before was 227 cases, so that was 39 new cases.

Still about a 40% increase or so, which is above what you want, but not horrible.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

So it's not them paying 80% of your wages if you're too sick to work, it's them paying 80% of your wages if your employer was going to fire you because the business was going down the drain. poo poo.

Yeah, this is to stop redundancies when businesses are struggling.
If your employer is operating normally then you get whatever Sick Pay policy they already have, if any.

and re: AOC - she turns 35 abuot a month before the 2024 election, though there's questions about some states Primaries and if they need you to already be 35 at the time of the primary

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Even the worst case predictions assuming no intervention at all showed cases peaking late May/June and then beginning to drop off, mostly subsiding by September or so

E: lots dead in that time though, oh yes

I know this was 2 pages back but I want to address it -

If we sit back, assuming everything's fine, and let the virus run rampant through the population, then yes it could start to drop off from it's peak around June, clearing off likely around September.

Problem with that being that, that's the "let everyone who could die, die" line.

The intention of social distancing and lockdowns etc is to cut the rate of spread to give the health system more time to cope.
By very design of the measures, the slower you want it to go, the longer the lockdowns etc need to go on.

For that strategy to work, you're looking at something closer to a "peak" spread over most of August-ish, with the actual real decline happening by the end of the year

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Edit; misread the chart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

NA goon FC in FF14 has changed its tag to <<beans>> and I have enjoyed informing them about their prospects re: blasting up backside

They don't have baked beans though, and what kind of sicko blasts butter beans, kidney beans, or heaven forfend cannellini beans up the backside?

Have some drat standards