Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Lungboy posted:

Aye, government policy is being led by Cummings and his weirdos, so they are listening to "behavioural economists" rather than medics and scientists.

This is why I roll my eyes every time I hear a Government representative say that they are "following scientific advice" on Coronavirus. It didn't take me long to realise that they're classing economists as scientists for this purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I work for a very small company where work from home is pretty much impossible. There are two key staff members there (me and my boss), and the company literally would not be able to function without one of us. I know this because that's what happened last year when I missed a week and a half of work due to a (then apocalyptic) case of the flu. I ended up coming back to work close to a week before I should because the place was falling apart in my absence. The work Coronavirus contingency policy amounts to "Don't get sick".

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I have a sneaking feeling that speedrunning Coronavirus through the population so that we're back up and running before the rest of Europe is the kind of idea that would appeal to Dominic Cummings. Probably not true, but it would probably explain the aggressive indifference the government sees to be showing to this. Losing a few hundred thousand mostly economically inactive pensioners with expensive medical needs is probably a bonus for him.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

ThomasPaine posted:

On the plus side, all of these big names testing positive suggests to me that we literally all have it. That's a good thing! It means the mortality rate could be way lower than we think because we're only seeing a small reaction or cases, most of them the worst hit.

I spoke to my sister today. She works in a hospital away from any reported outbreaks, and says that it's an open secret that they've been getting cases for the past couple of days, but are waiting on confirmations. Not people phoning 111 because they have a cough, but people admitted with serious respiratory distress. Apparently this isn't an outlier, a lot of hospitals are starting to see the same. We all have it, and the official infection rate is going off a ski-jump over the weekend.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I jokingly posted yesterday that speedrunning Coronavirus through the population as fast as possible and taking a couple of hundred thousand extra deaths in order to be back on our feet before the rest of Europe might be the kind of idea to appeal to Dominic Cummings, especially if most of the extra deaths are amongst those he considers to be a drain on society. Every action (or lack thereof) our government's taken today is making me less convinced this is a joke. Every medical expert I've heard speaking on the radio today about herd immunity sounds as if Cummings is stood behind them holding a gun to their head.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Is it just me, or is the Government and the BBC starting to get a bit coy about releasing infection figures? They've started slipping them in about half way through other virus-related articles rather than reporting them directly, and the big Pandemic-style maps seem to be hidden away in a corner. Haven't they been releasing new figures at 9am every morning? They're still reporting yesterday's total of 798.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Isn't 60% way too low for herd immunity anyway? I was under the impression that 80% was considered to be an optimistic estimate.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

ThomasPaine posted:

Are we not expecting the virus to naturally decline with warmer weather?

Not really. What we will probably see however is the usual seasonal winter illnesses tapering off, which at least reduce strain on the NHS.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
There've just been a couple of retired doctors on radio 4 Any Answers absolutely demolishing the government herd immunity response. Also rather fewer Gammons than usual.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

jabby posted:

There is no national guidance for who gets a ventilator, and certainly no age cut-off. Decisions will be made locally depending on demand, which may eventually include age as a big factor but it will still be a unit-specific decision.

There seems to be a lot of misconception (encouraged by the government) about what other countries are actually doing. People are generally not being barricaded in their houses. The countries that have controlled it well like China and South Korea have set up mass testing and treatment programs and closed schools/cancelled all events. Neither of which are measures people can "get bored of" and ignore.

It doesn't matter if people leave their houses if every time they enter a building they get their temperature taken and there are no mass gatherings for them to attend anyway.

There's no national guidance about a ventilator age cutoff yet, because no way in hell does Boris want something like that floating around on paper with a government official's signature on it. Rather than becoming official policy, each health authority will be left to make it's own decision. The same with not banning mass gatherings until most of them have been cancelled of their own accord.

As to testing, I heard a doctor on the radio today ridicule the herd immunity response due to the lack of community testing. If only people presenting at hospitals with symptoms are tested, how do we know if and when we've reached herd immunity levels of infection?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Angrymog posted:

I'm a bit concerned that Bardeh has seen two people collapse today. Please stay away from Sheerness.

Same thing happened near me this morning. Somebody collapsed in the vegetable aisle of the local Lidl, cracked his head, blood and paramedics everywhere.

My boss is due to fly out to Tenerife for a holiday tomorrow. He's going ahead with it because he doesn't want to lose the 1.5k he spent on it. I don't know if he's booked to fly with Jet2 or not, so this can go one of two ways. Either he was booked to fly with them and I don't get left to my own devices for a week, or he does fly and gets stuck there for who knows how long when Spain inevitably locks down the country. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Boris Johnson's Coronavirus plan: Bag the bug for Britain.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Most of the 70 and 80 year-olds I know will straight-up ignore a restriction like that while wondering what all the fuss is about. Just try telling my neighbour that Bingo night is cancelled.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

njsykora posted:

That's less than £100 a week, it wouldn't even cover my (comparatively low) rent, let alone council tax, power bills, food and other bills.

Simple. Just squat in one of the newly vacated houses belonging to to the elderlies killed off by Cummings. If anyone tries evicting you, cough at them.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Azza Bamboo posted:

I like how in all these "flatten the curve" diagrams they show some kind of surplus capacity in the healthcare system like it's not already balls-to-the-wall.

There's surplus capacity if you just stop doing the small unneccessary things like joint replacements, cancer treatments, that kind of thing. Nothing really essential.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

stev posted:

Such a shame he already used the pregnancy/engagement card. Not sure what other distractions he can pull out of the bag.

No reason to believe he can't pull the pregnancy card again.

Edit: drat, beaten.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

oxford_town posted:

Iron lungs work by negative pressure ventilation i.e. the pressure inside the chamber drops, causing the lungs to expand. Works well for paralysis of respiratory muscles (i.e. polio). Modern ventilators are positive pressure i.e. higher pressure air is forced into the lungs, which works well (ish) when the lungs are full of inflammatory gunk as in acute respiratory distress syndrome associated with COVID.

tl;dr: Nice idea, but iron lungs won't work for this.

I think the point is more that ventilators have been around for a while. In an emergency, you don't need to make a top-of-the-line 2020s model when any ventilator is better than none at all. Simplify and regress the design to the point that it can be produced in workshops with on-hand parts. They might be bulkier and not quite as effective as current models, but that's an acceptable compromise given the poo poo we're in.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Angepain posted:

it would slow the spread, which is a good thing because it prevents hospitals from being overrun. Deciding we're already all fated to be infected and so we might as well just go around licking each other's faces to get it over with is actually not a good idea

What makes this difficult even if the government decides to do something is that our outbreak is already widespread. Italy's outbreak was mostly concentrated in the North, while Spain's is concentrated in Madrid. There might be a few islands in the Shetlands where we don't have pockets of infection. I think this figures quite heavily in the current official guidelines.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

TheRat posted:

This thing really is a massive punch in the dick.

The last report like this someone posted here was that the virus literally punches you in the dick.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/wuhan-doctors-warn-coronavirus-could-cause-male-infertility

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

quote:

Or methylated spirits (don't do the drinking part with this).

I thought about this last week, just getting some meths and adding a gelling agent to it. It turns out that not all alcohols are created equal when it comes to antiviral properties. Methyl alcohol is bottom of the heap in this regard.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Weasling Weasel posted:

Awesome, that takes off the pressure a little bit. While I feel guilty for letting my colleagues pick up the slack at work, I assume self-isolating is still the best cause of action?

If only because you don't want your co-workers making GBS threads themselves everytime you cough, yes. Toilet roll is a scarce resource.

My area looks like it's likely to be hit hard both economically and physically. It's a relatively rural area that's pretty much dependent on seasonal tourism to survive. We have a large elderly population due to a combination of the youth moving away to work only to be replaced by older people moving in from the cities to retire. Hospital and emergency services coverage is sparse, and we already have an influx of rich plague refugees fleeing the hotspots to their second homes to make sure plenty of the virus is sloshing around.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
We're going to be keeping the doors open for as long as possible (small family business, where I'm the only non-family employee), although I did manage to persuade the boss to send his 71 year-old father and brother with medical issues home for the duration. Also, his mother isn't going to be coming in to do the cleaning anymore, so it looks like cleaning toilets may have been added to the job description. We're also starting to see our first China-related supply chain issues (kitchen and bathroom business). Honestly, I don't see "as long as possible" being all that long.

One of the nearby big caravan and chalet parks is having a discussion about closing this evening. We've been seeing a lot of people fleeing the cities, and apparently one chalet owner was boasting around the park that a close relative was infected and that he'd decided to go on holiday rather than self-isolate. The management threw him off the site, he objected rather strenuously, and the police were nearly called.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

Ah, good to see they've found a way to limit people dying during a pandemic.

This has had the unfortunate effect of crippling a good chunk of the foodbank network. Hundreds of foodbanks work out of Church buildings, and they've effectively been evicted with zero notice. My mother volunteers at the local foodbank, and as of today they are effectively shut.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Regarde Aduck posted:

Why is that? The ICU's haven't failed yet. Are our olds just really unhealthy compared to the continent? I can really see it being that.

We've stopped community testing, and are now only testing people presenting at hospitals with severe symptoms. The recorded mortality rate is going up because we're only testing the people most likely to die.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

The Perfect Element posted:

Is there a decent, concise source of information which will make people start taking this loving thing seriously? My office (which has today, thankfully, shut) yesterday was full of people chortling about how they're safe / it's just a bad cold etc., and there was, I poo poo you not, a whole table full of communal snacks and treats laid out in the kitchen which everyone was cheerfully helping themselves to... All while the entire planet is shutting down, and every government in the world, even loving OURS, is telling people to stay the gently caress away from each other.

Similarly, we had a family get together planned for this weekend, and my wife and I figured that we probably shouldn't go... The rest of my family, however, are still going ahead (and still planning on going out for a meal) on the basis of 'well we're all sensible intelligent people, and have pragmatically decided that WE can just do what we want because obviously it's safe.'

The problem is, people don't respond well if you try and honestly explain why life CAN'T go on as normal, and why they CANT just carry on doing what they want... They feel attacked, patronised, belittled, insulted...

Ugh, sorry for the rant... Any links, vids etc which have a proven track record of being able to get through to people would be hugely appreciated.

Unfortunately, we're probably going to have to wait until somebody famous (by which I mean front page of the Sun famous) dies of it for many people to take it seriously. My area is a prime example. We have a lot of second homes and no official infections, so we've been innundated with people coming in to the area and treating the whole thing as a big holiday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-51937753

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Borrovan posted:

I'm not saying that you should commit arson, but,

"Red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Red sky in the morning, Englishman's holiday home on fire" -traditional welsh proverb.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

keep punching joe posted:

All the rich fled to their second homes in the country and overloaded rural hospitals. Good job that isn't happening here... oh.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/...hire-Devon.html

Same here in North Wales. People have been flooding into the area for the past two weeks, and are stripping the local shops bare, and being generally obnoxious. A lot of them have decided that they're now in a safe zone and are treating it like a holiday, so good luck containing the virus The summit of Snowdon was standing room only today. The local GPs are seriously worried, as we're under-resourced for the permanent population as it is. The fact that this is pretty much THE Welshest corner of Wales throws an interesting bit of racial tension into the mix as well.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
https://twitter.com/McDonaldsUK/status/1241824519280566274

poo poo's getting serious.

I thought there was a push to keep takeaways open.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Does Dominic Cummings live nearby?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I've had mild cold symptoms (intermittent wet cough and occasional very slight sore throat) for a few weeks now. I'm not in a hotspot, and I've consistently passed my 'Rona self-diagnosis test of running 4 miles without dying so far.

Oh, I also have partial anosmia, but I've had that since before it was cool.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Weasling Weasel posted:

I had very mild cold symptoms so tried to run a second 5k for that week and only made 3k, since then my chest and back muscles are horrible, so really dont recommend this as a diagnosis too.

Running appeals to the self-flagellist in me.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've been aggressively sniffing lots of stuff today.

I discovered my anosmia while working somewhere that sold scented candles. Someone handed me a raspberry-scented candle, and asked me what it smelled of. "Candle".

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Now imagine being one of only three kids in the school (which was Lord of the Flies at the best of times) *without* that weakness? I was a living god, I tell you.

Immunity to BCG pain was one of my two superpowers in secondary school. The other power was the ability to store and aggressively transmit the static electricity from CRT monitors in the computer rooms.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

sassassin posted:

My BCG injection got infected and exploded over my pillow about a week later. Big scar still.

My brother fainted while having his BCG and fractured his skull.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Who is the most famous person to die from it so far? There are a fair number of pretty famous actors in their 80s.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Comrade Fakename posted:

The only difference between Weinstein and other famous people in this regard is that because he’s in prison he cannot hide his infection. The rich, famous and powerful were one of the earliest vectors for the virus. Way more politicians and similar have the virus than has been reported. Remember literally everyone in Parliament (and the Tory party in particular) has been exposed.

Sex pests seem to be particularly prone to the virus. Placido Domingo tested positive today.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Was in a bargain supermarket place today. Was pretty empty so wandered round pretty alone. But then at the end they only had 2 checkouts open it off like 10. But they were the ones right next to each other so everyone had to awkwardly bottleneck together on the way out. Seems like theres a thousand small things like that we should be avoiding to moneyball ourselves through this.

I live in a rural area. The main reason social distancing isn't working here is that we're being flooded with plague refugees from the cities. We don't have many confirmed cases here yet, so the incomers are treating it as a safe zone and getting into everyone's faces. There are several unconfirmed pockets of infection locally already.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Gwent is a hot spot. Monmouthshire, Newport, Cardiff, Caerphilly

Nowhere near there. Llyn peninsula.

There are rumours of a case in my village, although that might be just someone hearing someone else cough. Definitely cases in some of the local towns, though.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 22, 2020

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So what's happened in the past 24 hours that we're (probably) going from "oh please don't stand too close together" to full on lockdown?

It followed the usual pattern of Government Coronavirus response. Wales and Scotland started to make lockdown noises after this weekend's frolics in the countryside, so Boris didn't have much of a choice.

Everyone: For the love of god, do this!
Boris: Doing this now would be an overreaction.
(infection rate rises dramatically)
Wales & Scotland: We're doing this!
Boris: Fine, let's do it. I was going to do it anyway. Totally not doing it because everyone's gone ahead and done it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I taped an exclusion zone around the counter at work this morning. I needn't have bothered, as nobody came in all day.