Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Having 3 in a stat can be a recipe for fun if you choose wisely which stat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jippa posted:

Keep your kids away from your parents is another huge one.

Yeah I've forbidden my mum from visiting us. She has copd from a lifetime of smoking and already nearly died from catching a standard cold from our kids two years ago. Coronavirus sounds like it would be really really bad for her.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

After the recent announcement of Baldur's Gate 3, there's a hashtag that got my hopes up for a moment.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Shogi posted:

Judging by the fact I now feel like I’ve been run over by a bus, I reckon our elderly mental health site does in fact have covid-19 brewing. Our ‘response’ to the pandemic certainly represents a new and exciting way for the government to cull our patients. I feel so thoroughly sick of all this.

Sure it's not good old flu? Supposedly the fatigue/ache symptoms are less common with covid-19.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
My wife went to a meeting yesterday to discuss event cancellation due to coronavirus. She maintained impeccable social distance and then every other idiot at the meeting went right in and hugged her. This morning she has a tickly cough, so joke's on them I guess. :(

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Third time this has popped up, I think it's a couple of years old now. But I watch it every time because it's awesome.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

sebzilla posted:

Conversely, my five three year old is a dickhead and I envy you lot who can sit and play vidya games all day.

We stayed at home all of Saturday and Sunday and we were already going insane by the end of it. Main reason I took my kid to school this morning (though I think we will be stopping virtually all activities from tomorrow)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Dr John Campbell's update yesterday saying there was preliminary data suggesting interventions targeted at symptoms (antipyretics, steroids) may actually be increasing the death rate. "Think twice about taking paracetamol etc" if you have it. No peer reviewed studies yet or anything but...

(the section where he talks about Italy's death rate in this video, for those not already following the account)

Also, question for the professionals in the thread, I'm fascinated by the report upthread mentioning white blood cell count not increasing at all over the course of this disease. Is this significant? Are there other diseases that do this?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

My understanding is 14 days (as a household) if you live in a household with other people. 7 days if you live alone, though more is better as a few people may still be infectious after 7.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:siren: The UKMT Solidarity Fund is now live! :siren:

This has taken way longer than it was ever meant to (for various reasons as Rarity has already explained), but the pandemic and the current dire straits faced by many workers have finally galvanised us to Get Brexit UKMTSF Done.
  • Our draft constitution can be found here. If you care, please peruse it and feed back - it pretty much follows the suggestions that fell out of the first meeting back in December, so there shouldn't be any huge surprises, but I'm not a lawyer so there are probably holes to be picked in it. I'll leave a day or two for discussion before we adopt it and officially become an unincorporated association.

• Due to the coronavirus making it unwise to travel around and meet up in person, the Fund's bank account is currently a temporary one held solely by the account holder (IrvingWashington, aka Bill Drummond on Discord). In due course we plan to move to a clubs and societies bank account with at least two signatories for added security, so we won't be offended if people prefer to hold off donating until that happens.

• The limit on total donations to the Fund via PayPal is currently £2500 a year. We'll be insanely surprised and pleased if we get close to hitting this, but just to be on the safe side, donations via bank transfer are preferable.

Now the actual details - Guavanaut if you could add this info to the OP that would be super awesome:

:siren: How to Donate Funds: :siren: Paypal - https://paypal.me/ukmtsolidarity OR Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details
:siren: How to Apply for Funds: :siren: Fill in the Google Form OR PM a committee member on forum or Discord: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, Oscar Diggs or Rarity.

Thanks folks - hoping this will really help some comrades in need.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Prince John posted:

Wow, this is a great idea!

One thought about the constitution - I guess the numbers may always remain small and manageable, but on the offchance it blows up and you get tens or even hundreds of donations, 5(2)(d) might get a bit onerous - working out whose donations have not yet been spent and actually processing large numbers of refunds could become quite burdensome. Potentially a blanket donation of remaining funds to something like a food bank or homelessness charity could be a substitute?

This is a good idea, thanks! It wouldn't be as onerous as you say because we don't consider individual donations as being "spent" so it would be calculated purely from total amounts donated, but there are some odd possible outcomes (such as someone who donated £5 in the past being the only reclaimant and getting £2000 back). Giving to charity is a better bet.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Solidarity Fund Update

Thanks so much to everyone who has been so generously donating. We passed £2k today which is loving amazing.

We have also helped our first goon! Remember that you can receive as well as give, if you're financially unstable and some unexpected expense is threatening to knock you off your feet, that's what we're here for.

The constitution has undergone minor changes following feedback and will be adopted tomorrow if nothing further arises.

Future updates will be posted at the start of each month (and probably whenever anything of interest happens because it's nice to have some :unsmith: news amidst the nonstop doom.)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Biggus Dickus posted:

Any idea when the proper bank account will be set up? I want to set up a standing order and forget about it.
(I'm sure I'm not the only one)

Yeah I'm the same - done a one-off donation but not a standing order yet. To answer your question, it's going to take a few weeks to process the application even after we get it together, so realistically not for at least a month and probably more. We will definitely shout in the thread when it happens though!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So what's happened in the past 24 hours that we're (probably) going from "oh please don't stand too close together" to full on lockdown?

24 hours of the media softening up public opinion and soliciting approval for big daddy Johnson to reluctantly ground us all.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
King's College Hospital has made a covid tracker app to try and get a handle on how it's developing and identify who is most at risk earlier - seems like as many people as possible in the UK should use it so I thought I'd post the link here. Please grab it if you can spare a minute a day to report symptoms (or lack of)

http://covid.joinzoe.com

E: M-209 was a lightweight portable pin-and-lug cipher machine developed at the beginning of World War II. 

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 24, 2020

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Bardeh posted:

As good of an idea as that sounds, how useful can self-reporting be? I'm hyper-aware of every cough, tickle in my throat, anything right now. People are going to be reporting symptoms en masse.

You have to assume the researchers at Kings are able to account for that kind of noise in their analysis.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Apparently Netflix is down?

Also earlier today the kids managed to watch something on Amazon prime but I can't see a charge anywhere?!?

Prime video has a bunch of free shows included.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah I posted it on this page

I never click contextless links and I suspect that's true of a lot of people.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Mr Phillby posted:

The link auto embedded into a nice youtube video with a clear title and thumbnail on my end, have you got that disabled?

You made me check, but

:shrug: I guess it's broken in the awful app on my phone and I should yell at baka kaba

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

baka kaba posted:

rude

is it enabled on the actual site, User Control Panel > Edit Options? try that

Ohhhh

Thanks for that, now I can truly enjoy these forums as God intended

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

learnincurve posted:

I have no idea what you are raking about If this is Justin from Something special then I will end you in parent or special need’s child. The man is an Saint and an National Treasure.

Thank you for getting this response in as I'm too many pages behind to do so. He's a drat good clown and all kids could benefit from learning some Makaton.

Also special shoutout to Steve Kynman (Robert the Robot on Justin's House) who's a really talented performer but rarely gets to show it. The episode where Justin loses his voice is top work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

People on twitter getting concerned about Michael Rosen. He has the virus and until 2 days ago was posting updates on how he was feeling (not good) but nothing posted now for 2 days.

poo poo. :(