Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yup definitely experiencing a lot of anxiety bout going and Being Around People for money right now. Job starts tomorrow.

Yay(!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I am genuinely tempted to wear a respirator, but I suspect it wouldn't help, it's not like my eyes aren't a mucous membrane that the virus can use to get access anyway.

Le sigh.

I expect to get ill anyway when I start a new job. I won't be able to tell if it's just a cold or if it's the zombie plague.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

:perfect:
Cassetteboy has been quiet lately. I wonder if this is the same person.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

feedmegin posted:

So what you do is roll 4d6, drop the lowest and add the rest together, x6.

If you mean a minimum for rerolling everything I dunno, if it's really bad go ahead and do it. We're here to have fun, I'm not going to be :hitler: GM or anything.

Do array for the top 3, 4d6 drop lowest for the bottom 3. best of both worlds.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bundy posted:

I'm convinced that had social media and media frenzy been at 2020 levels for sars and swine flu and what not, there'd have been the same sensationalism and panic then.
I'm pretty close to agreeing. SARS and Swine Flu went bananas in the media but we didn't have the same level of penetration of the chattering celeb types on twitter in those days, to stoke the fires

OwlFancier posted:

Did either of those switch off china?

I don't think we'd've been able to know as easily back then.

I have to say, I do wonder whether this virus hasn't already been doing the rounds all winter without anyone knowing about it yet - there have been reports of more-nasty-than-usual winter respiratory infections this year, with longer asymptomatic periods, and I do wonder whether it's not already done its pandemiccing in this country...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Munin posted:

Chaser?

Specific fetishitsic attraction to people from a particular minority group, because of their membership of that group (term also applies to other specific fetishistic attractions to minority groups, including amputees, people with dwarfism, etc, but from context, presumably to trans women in this instance).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

I don't know why I'm posting this here, but 3 months of Post Viral Fatigue and mounting debts have forced me to seek help. I'm attending my first counselling session today. I've been keeping so many things to myself instead of reaching out for help. I guess this post is a reach out for help, in of itself. I've suffered 8 years of PTSD, low mood, sleep trouble, random spurts of uncontrollable rage. It's a lot of weight to carry. And I'm very tired

I'm considering asking to be put onto antidepressants, I've been on Citalopram before - Made me an emotion zombie. Put me off. But I think I need something.

Solidarity friend. We are very much here fore this kind of posting, we'll jump right on down in that hole with you, between us we can build a way out.

Talking to someone about it is a huge first step, I hope it goes well for you. Keep it up even if it feels long and difficult.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

New job day 2: found out that my line manager is also the workplace union rep, which whilst it's a possible conflict of interest at a certain point, makes me pretty :unsmith: about the workplace. There's a big Unite noticeboard in my office, too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

They... really think Boris is centre right...

My

I

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Jesus, that is horrific.

I am feeling very down at the moment folks. Anyone got anything nice to say about anything at the moment?

I am probably going to wave and cheer at a friend's first drag show this evening.

Haven't quite decided yet, but probably. I'm sure she'll be great =)

The show is at my new job, which has a little community theatre space.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ugh our mortgage fixed rate can't be extended until January next year, I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on it early and eating the early repayment charge, in case Brexit plays havoc with interest rates.

What think, thread, is it worth doing, just in case?

I'd probably be looking at taking out a ten year fixed rate, just to stabilise costs for as long as possible, even though it would make the monthly cost a little higher.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If nothing else, Covid-19 might be the thing that finally makes everyone seriously consider WASHING THEIR loving HANDS and ACTUALLY STAYING HOME WHEN THEY'RE ILL.

Doubtful, but you can hope.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Elizabeth Warren just pulled out.
Does this mean it's Sanders v Biden for the democratic nomination?

(Sorry I know this is USpol but it affects us all ultimately).

I'm genuinely surprised for tyhe first time in a long time by USPol.

Sanders vs Biden is a really, really hopeful matchup.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I was fully expecting Warren to stay in though, just to gently caress up the two-horse race and force a brokered convention, so that is at least positive.

Right?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

I reckon Biden wins on super delegates, gets utterly slaughtered by Trump and we hear nothing but "the left got us Trump AGAIN".

That or Bernie wins flat out and we get the full Corbyn character assassination and people making "principled" resignations.

Ether way second term for Trump full hell world baby!

I'm betting on 'Bernie wins the nomination, wins the election, Trump refuses to leave office, civil war', personally.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1235841755460685825

Can't believe we lost this absolute champion of the movement. Being told you're no longer welcome to come and make a speech because of your role illegally deporting people based on the colour of their skin is anti democratic.

Loving the brazen way the Conservatives have transitioned to "It's rude to point out that my white power tattoo is racist" arguments. Wish it wouldn't work.

God I hate the whole concept of no-platforming being bad.

You are not entitled to a platform.

Jesus.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My favourite bit about this cat does not exist (though they might have fixed it now?) is that it thinks that the impact font from lolcats is cats, so they frequently have weird not-language heiroglyphs under or above them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why IS the Labour party leadership election taking so long?
Any good reason for it? Or is it that they are just extremely bad at administration?

As I noted upthread or possibly last month, it's probably because there's postal voting for the luddites. It takes time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mebh posted:

Just got back from ASDA in Sheffield and the toilet paper aisle was stripped bare. People walking away with 2 giant packs under each arm. Did I miss a bulletin or something?

Also watched Dark Water today for a lovely "you all have cancer" fun start to the Saturday. Good film, recommend.

On a total aside I'm looking to get back into painting miniatures as a hobby, any goons got any advice on a decent starter paint set? The ones recommend on amazon seem a bit pricey at £45 for 20 18ml colours. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grinning-Gargoyle-GAR-FPS001-Miniatures-Warpaints/dp/B07P66VH2L

Also, spray paint undercoat or by hand?

I'd suggest coming into tradgames and asking there ;)

Army Painter is a decent brand, but I'd probably go for Vallejo if you can find it. £2 a bottle is pretty good for miniature paints, they're much higher quality with finer and denser pigmentation than standard acrylics, so they're much more expensive.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Angrymog posted:

I had a look at the Vallejo colour charts, and notice that they don't list pigment numbers - do any of the miniature paint brands?

Basically pigment has a number - e.g. PB29 is Ultramarine blue, regardless of what the brand calls it, whether that's French Ultramarine (winsor and newton) or Ultramarine Deep (Sennellier).

Or for instance, Winsor and Newton's professional range has cobolt blue as PB28 - a pure colour, whereas their student range (Cotman) has it as PB29, PW5 - our old friend Ultramarine mixed with a white pigment, which means the two colours will most likely behave differently. Another example would be Cerulean - professional it's PB35, student it's PB15 - also more usually known as Phthalo Blue.

There are some colour equivalency charts around, but mostly, no, they don't have any kind unified systems like this as far as I'm aware.

It's much more in the veing of craft paints than professional oil colours, in that regard.

Even though it's a reasonably big industry, it's still not Respectable High Art.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

I feel like the latest email from Keir Starmer asking for donations is treading a little close to the line.

From the formatting and language you could easily be forgiven for thinking this is an official Labour Party funding drive and that the money would go to the party rather than to Starmer's campaign.

I had that one, it's sketchy as fuuuuuuck, especially the subject just being 'Keirstarmer.com'...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You have to make sure you (or your partner) gets a job with insurance. And if you lose your job - bye bye insurance.

Coronavirus:

A friend is supposed to be coming over from the US in a couple of weeks - she's nearly 70, just getting over an illness, so immuno-compromised, has to use a CPAP machine anyway. I'm encouraging her not to come, but another friend of hers has come over to London for a few days from Africa and is telling her "everything is fine, life in London is normal, no shortages, no problems".
Trying to convince my friend that London is not necessarily representative of the whole of the UK, she's planning to go to Sheffield.

Honestly, regardless of coronavirus, she probably shouldn't be putting herself in an enclosed barely-cleaned tube full of other peoples recirculating germs for 5+ hours in this situation.

I'm hoping things will have chilled out a bit in a couple of weeks, I'm due to take the train and the tube to London for training for two days in 10 days, ugh ugh ugh. Something I'm not exactly a fan of for hygeine-paranoia reasons at the best of times, let alone now.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

We will spam the ENTIRE GOVERNMENT with invitations to speak, then lock them in the auditorium and let the rest of Parliament do some governing without them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Angepain posted:

everyone sits down quietly, takes out a pair of headphones, and listens to loud rock music

Everyone sits down quiety, takes out a pair of headphones, listens to loud rock music, and starts singing along.

The music is Rage Against the Machine.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

OMG - you have read that book (ed: Way of Wyrd Brian Bates)? I read it about 30 years ago. A friend and I were really into the band Skyclad (he more than me) and that's how we got into that book.
Doing the Widdershins Jig in a huge circle at the former Astoria in Charing Cross Road was something else :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsbXsOWQ68k

I'm going up to London on Thursday for 4 days - coach for a course - course is only 1 day but getting to London is such a palaver for me that I booked 4 nights and will be seeing friends (if they still want to! Or mooching around a deserted city if not!). If I don't go, I'll lose a few £00, so I feel your pain! In the absence of hand-sanitizer, a friend's suggested putting some wet wipes in a jar with Milton's sterilizing fluid and using that instead.

I will be wearing gloves whenever I'm outside.

But between cold temperatures and hayfever not touching my face is essentially impossible :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

XMNN posted:

loving arseholes are going to kill a whole bunch of people for no reason

Plus ca change.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I have a tiny, tiny cough which started a little bit last night and has continued this morning.

I've just emailed my therapist to see if she'd prefer I cancel, and I'm probably going to do the same with work and (very grudgingly) the friends who are supposed to be visiting tonight.

I suspect it's just dust from where I was baking the cake last night, but goddammit.

Hey if I'm ill at least I won't need to go into London next week :unsmith:

It doesn't help that literally every post I've seen on FB this morning from my friends is about some form of pain or illness, including from at least one person I've been within two feet of in the past two weeks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I cancelled my therapy appointment and called into work and my friends, I'm offloading the decision about whether I'm being paranoid or whether they really are out to get me onto others.

Go me for being responsible I guess?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

It would be nice if we did the easy testing Korean thing, me and my partner have a nasty cold and id like to know if I can go out without potentially killing a bunch of grandmas

How much worse than Italy do you reckon we'll need to get before the gov takes serious action? I'm reckoning a week later.

They have already taken serious action.

Ignoring it is serious loving action. It's not a neutral choice in this situation, and it absolutely is a choice.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

CoolCab posted:

corvids are the other sentient creatures on this hell world and they don't deserve what we provide for them

Sapient.

loving plants are sentient. Sentient means able to sense and respond to changes in surroundings. Sapient means 'thinking'.

(Also elephants and pigs are probably sapient, most cetaceans almost certainly are)

But this is one of those distinctions that linguistic drift has rendered frustratingly indistinct, which is a shame, because it's a useful distinction.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Crankit posted:

This Dr Nurse guy makes it seem like the coronavirus will be quite bad. https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching
In part I wonder if the government response is so dumb so the NHS can collapse and healthcare becomes private.

Nothing would surprise me at this point about the Tories' handling of the NHS. More than any other service or element of our welfare system, the last ten years have been systematically taking a loving chainsaw to it at every possible turn.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

They're going to activate the wall around the M25.

You mean they're going tot urn on the Dread Sigil Odegra, surely?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pesmerga posted:

I'm sure that's a huge consolation to the vulnerable, immunocompromised and elderly. Can we apply this to those impacted by work assessments too now? That doesn't seem that bad either.

Yeah, it's kinda... uncaring. Not just because all of these people are people, even if they're people who (with the elderly in particular) keep voting for the Leopards Eating People's Faces party, but... it's not like there are many people who don't know at least one person with respiratory issues, some form of immune compromise, or who is over 50.

SO even if you're uncaring on a demographic scale, which you shouldn't be, it shouldn't take anyone more than a couple of minutes of thinking to come up with a few people who they know personally who fall into that high risk group.

I know I have... 3 friends I can think of offhand, two parents, and one wife, who do.

Maybe people ITT who are spouting this poo poo might take a moment to think of the people they know who are at high risk.

Hell, I'm pretty sure there are several regular posters who are over 50 right here.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Looks like one of my friends has probably got it (was in the US two weeks ago, had close contact with someone who had contact with a confirmed case, of course they won't test, despite one of their flatmates being a high risk person).

Work are still dithering as to whether to send me to London next week. Someone from the London office was in last week and hooboy I got out of that room drat fast.

I'm hoping they'll postpone or cancel the training, or let me skype in. I'd be happy to skype in. I'd even pay attention, the whole two days.

Hell I'd do that even without covid, gently caress travelling to London.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Friends it is a lot at the moment. I'm getting so insanely anxious about this, despite the fact that self-isolation is basically my standard operating procedure and I routinely was my hands enough every winter that I have to moisturise them regularly to keep them from loving bleeding, between this, my first paycheque getting hit with an emergency tax code costing me five loving hundred quid, my car being in the process of dying and needing to be replaced, and any of half a dozen other things including the pressures of a new job, (still probably) being forced to undergo unnecessary travel during the loving plague, and the knowledge of our country's loving idiotic response to this... In addition to the usual constant low level awareness of how hilariously hosed everything is...

JFC it's a lot at the moment.

I'm genuinely regretting getting a job, which makes me feel goddamn awful given how hard I worked to get it and how much other people want them.

Is there anything positive to be seen at present? Because I would quite like some positivity.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

I would honestly limit your exposure to the news! Concentrate on the stuff you can influence (your job, fixing your car, keeping you and your family safe) and let somebody else worry about the apocalyptic headlines.

I genuinely don't read the news much at all.

Not reading the news does not stop me being aware that, for instance, billionaires exist.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

oxford_town posted:

Remember when we were all worried about Brexit? Doesn't seem as bad now, eh?

nobody post about the possibility of a no-deal brexit happening at the end of the year

Yes, a reminder of one of the many apocalypses bearing down on us is definitely exactly what I mean by positivity.

Thanks for that.

Sincerely.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Plus ca change.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Also I need to stop reading this thread and social media in general. When you're alone in a tiny room away from all your loved ones it's very easy to let the anxiety get the better of you, and I'd quite like to stop imagining myself choking to death tbqh.

If you need to stop, stop. Put on a film, watch a funny youtube, listen to a song, whatever. Stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

e: i'd have thought a prion is considerably less complex than a virus. is that not the case? i know proteins get pretty wild sometimes

Yes, prions are way less complex, they're literally just proteins, no DNA or RNA, just badly folded proteins that when they interact with the well folded ones, somehow cause them to fold badly.

Prions are loving WILD and I still wonder whether I'm going to come down with CJD at some point in the next decade or so. Thanks Maggie.