Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Given previous discussion ITT about how many people are posting trouserless I am forced to imagine shoes-in-house weirdos coming home, removing their shoes, removing their trousers, and then putting their shoes back on before sitting down barelegged at their posting stations.

I usually just wander around the house in socks or with my nude feed proudly on display, but we have "house shoes" available for guests who want to shield theirs from unwanted gazes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Do you want me to add the link to the OP?

List it under podescasts.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The best way to get infected by the Corona virus is to leave the slice of lime in the neck when you drink it.

Viral marketing has gone too far this time.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I feel like the latest email from Keir Starmer asking for donations is treading a little close to the line.

From the formatting and language you could easily be forgiven for thinking this is an official Labour Party funding drive and that the money would go to the party rather than to Starmer's campaign.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Borrovan posted:

Obviously I'm more offended by the old "defending the rights of women" / "specifically opposing the rights of women I don't like" sleight of hand, but: does she actually think weed is a psychedelic?

Graun hacks & transphobes very poorly informed, who knew

Probably mushrooms.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Prominent public figures crying about being "silenced" when a university group decides not to host them always looks like intensely pathetic whining to me, but I keep hearing from all these other prominent public figures that it's actually a damaging assault on free speech so I don't know what to think.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Isomermaid posted:

Ehh, it's not so bad, those are all things you can get in shops. It's the "one stick of celery" thing that gets me, cos you can only buy celery in bunches and then you have a bunch of celery minus one stick in your fridge till it goes all soft and spooky and you have to throw it away. A friend of mine bought guinea pigs just to solve this problem.
Easy solution is just don't use celery in anything because it's a worthless plant unfit for consumption.

Or if you absolutely must, you can easily use the other sticks in a million different stews, soups and sauces to fill them out a bit and add some crunch, just as long as they have a strong enough flavour to hide the disgusting celery taste. Let's not even get started on celeriac, the knobbly turnip that tastes like a dustbin.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Josef bugman posted:

I suppose it's because, ultimately, it doesn't actually seem that bad. Like Italy is having difficulty but deaths do not seem to be all that high. But more people will quite literally die every day from car accidents than will die of this. If you are immuno compromised or are caring for folk with problems and are concerned then more than fair, but going "Be more afraid" seems silly. I can understand it if you have to live with it and everyone should take more precautions though.

Yeah I'm about where you are, JB. The evidence so far suggests that most people aren't going to be infected, most infected people aren't going to have more than mild symptoms, and even in at risk groups like the over 80s the vast majority of people will recover. Be sensible, take precautions, but consider not following 24-hour CORONAWATCH rolling news and try to keep some sense of perspective.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Regardless of what else Covid-19 gets up to I think we can all agree that striking down the Tory health minister was an extremely funny bit and it deserves recognition for that, at least.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Goons! Today is the day that you have spent your lives training for.

The single biggest thing that could help reduce the spread of this pandemic would be Valve announcing a surprise Steam Sale.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pokémon GO otoh is entirely cancelled.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

bionic vapour boy posted:

I'm gonna try getting in contact with shelter and/or a renters union I think, though I have a nasty feeling even the mouse thing might be somewhere in the tenancy agreement :smith:

Do the mice have a direct agreement with the landlord or are they subletting off another tenant?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Well, my company has instituted work from home temporarily, with an update on if/how long it will be extended coming tomorrow. I have the dubious privilege of still being allowed in to do time-critical labwork, but otherwise the message is take home what computer equipment you need, postpone meetings or have them remotely, and basically don't leave the house. The local university has closed and I expect schools will follow suit shortly, good luck to parents trying to work from home.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Deketh posted:

So erm, this would be a bad time for me to start weekly therapy sessions at a doctor's surgery right? Thinking I should be cancelling that

Speak to your doctor? They ought to have a good handle on it you'd hope.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Norwegian PM made some announcements a couple hours ago - all schools, universities etc. are closed for the next two weeks, all arrivals from abroad have two weeks of home quarantine regardless of symptoms. Several local authorities had already closed schools and asked businesses to implement work from home as far as possible. My partner is abroad visiting her parents at the moment and we aren't sure if she should come back. At least she's with her family and can stay as long as she needs to. If she does return I think we'll both have to self-isolate. :(

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Can't believe the UK has been left in this state thanks to lack of Covid-19 preparation by the last Labour Government.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TACD posted:

Dunno who posted the UK COVID-19 visualisation earlier but here's a worldwide version that feels like something out of WarGames :stare:

Madagascar and Greenland remain uninfected, I see. If they close their ports it's pretty much game over.

e: also if you want an idea of how seriously this is being taken elsewhere, Berlin has closed die Techno-Clubs. :wth:

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 12, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
With companies encouraging/enforcing work from home, it certainly is a shame that nobody ever thought of some sort of universal nationalised broadband scheme. I suppose that would have been ludicrous what with the internet being a luxury only used for kids to meme on.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I went outside for a trip to the local woods and that was nice. People are walking their dogs, clearing their driveways of snow, everything is reassuringly normal. I don't necessarily want to recommend going out if you're in the middle of a city and will be exposing yourself needlessly, but an hour or two among the trees and away from the internet telling me everyone is going to die was pretty good.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

XMNN posted:

for anyone who's curious

e: not quite the "why aren't the millennials out there licking doorknobs to save me" I was expecting, but the bolded bit is sort of missing the point that the government has been doing this itself by issuing advice that is unclear and untimely and allowing themselves to be wrong footed by people's general willingness to make sacrifices that the government had decided they weren't prepared for
The line that the Government has access to experts and knowledge that we don't, while also being the same line trotted out for a bunch of wars that turned out really badly, doesn't hold up too well when you consider that every other country also has experts and knowledge, and almost all of them are pursuing a very different strategy to the UK. Sure, no two countries are exactly the same, but if the UK population and the NHS are so unique that it makes sense to go against the accepted best response of the whole of the rest of the world it'd be nice if it were explained just why that is.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Angrymog posted:

Could they hire a car and drive back, or are road borders shut too? Assuming they want to come back atm.
https://twitter.com/PremierRP_en/status/1238545675194961920
Unclear to me what exactly "border controls" means but if they want to leave they might want to do it pretty sharpish. Flights from the country were already being cancelled yesterday. Also bear in mind that countries between Poland and the UK might also start putting up border controls or closing their borders to non-residents, so even if they can leave Poland they might not be able to make it home.

e:

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

They've since made their way to the airport, queued for 2 and half hrs and spoke to Ryanair reps. Apparently Ryanair is doing a rescue flight that will take them to Stansted. Then they're flying to Dublin and getting the coach back to Belfast.

If they had been any later they could have been stuck there for at least a few weeks.
Glad that they're going to make it out in time. I imagine there are a lot of people who either are or shortly will be stuck on their holidays.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 14, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My parents in the UK are almost entirely unconcerned about either the likelihood of being infected or the consequences if they are. I know their chances are pretty good even if they do get hit, but it's still frustrating. My entire region of Norway is practically shut down and everyone I know is taking it extremely seriously even though they're mostly in a demographic who can just shrug off an infection, but the UK government's response means that the people in the most vulnerable age brackets are blithely doing their best to put their lives on the roulette wheel.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Had an online meeting this morning and two of my colleagues are in quarantine with their young kids (they're not known to be infected but have been travelling abroad). It sounds like hell, hope all the parents in this thread are doing alright.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ThomasPaine posted:

I am beyond jealous of all you folks who get to be in quarantine with loved ones, let me tell you solitary confinement is a heap of poo poo.
Yeah it sucks. I'm trying to get out for a ski or walk on a daily basis but my partner is stuck abroad and I have no idea when she'll be allowed to leave that country or be permitted back in this one. Hopefully I'll be allowed back into the lab this week, but my work is doing a timetable for those few people who do have to go in to minimise the chances of us being in the building at the same time, and we're not allowed to work together in the same room.

ThomasPaine posted:

Can't wait to spin crazy stories to the kids about surviving the great pandemic of 2020 when actually I just drank a lot and got right back into dragon age: origins

presuming I do survive of course lol
I've put a lot of hours into playing Planescape: Torment for the first time. It's pretty good!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Deketh posted:

Ooh what a game. I've been thinking about replaying that but I'm not sure how well it's aged.

Back into the office for me tomorrow, not entirely happy about that. There's only 3 of us there but still.
I have the enhanced edition and I think it holds up alright - I guess you're not playing cRPGs for the stunning graphics. It's maybe not got as smooth an interface as modern games and combat feels pretty awkward, but the world exploration and the writing are much bigger parts than the fighting and they're good. I've just got to Curst at about 22 hours in, judging by what I can see of the map there is a fair bit still to go.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

justcola posted:

I made the mistake of looking through the facebook group for my local area - tonnes of older people saying how everyone's over-reacting and they don't want to cancel their annual holiday to Spain/Greece, how they've survived x, x and x and anyway, when it's your time, it's your time.
Well I don't think they'll have much luck going to Spain in the near future, even if the borders are open the flights are all getting cancelled. I wonder how Spain getting hit so hard is going to affect the rest of Europe's food - a huge proportion of out-of-season veg comes from either there or the Netherlands. I expect fresh tomatoes are going to start getting pricey.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

hemale in pain posted:

if this is real then there's no way the fire escape was unmarked

Maybe she knew the German word "ausgang" but was led astray by the confusingly named "notausgang".

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Worth Ł4 billion seems a stretch.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Johnson looks like warmed over poo poo in that video, must suck to face a problem that a hearty upper-class chortle can't bluff its way out of.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I just hope that enough people in the UK are going to look at the responses in other countries and ask "why don't we have that?". I don't just mean the travel restrictions and restaurant closures either, but the rent freezes, improved unemployment, sickness and welfare offerings and so on. Even noted hell country the United States of America is responding better than the Tory government right now, there surely has to come a backlash.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
In cop show chat, I've been watching The Valhalla Murders on Netflix, which is pretty decent if you like Nordic detective stuff. It has an English dub but I recommend watching in Icelandic with subs because some of the English voice acting is not great. Beforeigners (HBO Nordic but I'm sure you can find it if you check the usual places) is a detective show set in Oslo with supernatural stuff - refugees start mysteriously arriving from the past - and had a very good first season. Norwegian and Old Norse with English subs.

I'm going back to work tomorrow on a limited basis. The building will be near empty, nobody is allowed to work in the same room, we're meant to use disposable gloves to open doors when moving around the building and hand sanitiser when entering our office/lab, don't use public transport to get to work, anyone with the slightest sign of illness to stay home. I really hope nobody gets sick in the next couple weeks because if they do we'll all have to stay home and everyone's lab work will be ruined.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Wachter posted:

My mother-in-law has been sent home from work because her damaged vocal cords (unrelated to COVID-19; she is symptomless) are scaring customers. They're refusing to pay her anything because she's not self-isolating, she's just been told she can't work :fuckoff:

What can she do?
She should speak to an employment law professional (or her union if she is in one) I suppose, but it sounds a lot like she is being discriminated against by her employer because of a disability?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

See that roundel? It's not called the Hertfordshire Underground, is it? You're in London, time to develop a chirpy persona even while the bombs are dropping.
I think I'm beginning to see how confused foreigners who've once taken a weekend trip to see Tower Bridge and a couple museums believe that everywhere in the UK is England and everywhere in England is London.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Britain is saved, unless hackers and social malcontents figure out the sophisticated surveillance countermeasure of leaving your phone at home.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Yeah tbh it's one of those academic attacks which is theoretically plausible but practically impossible.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Hey forkboy thanks for the Bandcamp recommendations, I've been having a loud night in as a result. I think your tastes are a bit crustier than what I'd usually listen to but there's some good stuff there!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I can't see any issue with going out into the local woods or hills as long as you're keeping your distance from people and not licking stiles. Getting an hour or two of skiing or hiking in every day has been a huge deal for me in staying healthy and happy since I'm almost completely isolated otherwise.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

lol that's not even going to be close to legal unless they're a lodger or something. I hope they told the landlord to get hosed.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

feedmegin posted:

Use coins, immerse them in boiling water (and possibly soap) for a good long while?

You rat! How could you tip your own driver the spicy pound coin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He's not designed or redesigned poo poo, the guts of the machine are a generic ventilator and all Dyson are doing is manufacturing them at their prototyping/research facility. Any engineering firm in the country could do it, weird how the contract goes to the extremely loud Brexiteer Tory donor, innit?

Actually, I think you'll find that "Dyson has had hundreds of engineers working round the clock to design the ventilators from scratch."

Which sounds great, a rush job new design for a life critical piece of equipment. They really emphasise in that article that these things are being "designed and built from scratch" and I'm not sure how that's meant to be a positive even if it were true.