Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
I feel like the answer to this is going to be "no" in Tory Hell Country but I'm wondering if there's any of you know if there's anything I can do if my letting agent is.... really poo poo?

In the 3 months since the landlord handed over to them they've let the guy they had doing some maintenance work sleep in one of the unlet rooms without telling us, regularly given us no notice at all when they were sending people over, and done basically nothing about the mice problem we have despite saying someone would be over next day (about a week ago now).

Today the owner of the cleaning company our agent uses came over to show around a new cleaner without any warning, and when one of my housemates asked who she was she flew off the handle and basically told him to keep his nose out of her business. Her business in our house.

It's really just exhausting and we're constantly being reminded that they don't really consider us as much more at home here than the loving mice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Tsietisin posted:

Your post suggests that you love in an HMO as opposed to renting out a house or flat, is that right?

If you do live in an HMO, as long as the people are only entering the communal areas, you basically have no right to stop them doing so.

Ah yeah, I should've been clearer, it's an HMO not like us renting a whole house together.

Bollocks.

I'm gonna try getting in contact with shelter and/or a renters union I think, though I have a nasty feeling even the mouse thing might be somewhere in the tenancy agreement :smith:

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
This has been going around twitter already but thought it might be useful to post here, it's a list of mutual aid groups if you wanna help out people who need it over the coming months: https://freedomnews.org.uk/covid-19-uk-mutual-aid-groups-a-list/

There's a couple bits of London missing off the above list currently that I know of so there's this thread also which i assume will be updating quicker: https://twitter.com/MissEllieMae/status/1238426880233148419

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Prince John posted:

Is there a sensible way to decide whether you're not at risk to help out with some of these, given it would involve contact with vulnerable groups? E.g. I've been commuting into London (train & tube) and have spent the last week sat between two people who attended a conference where there have been a couple of confirmed cases.

Should I assume I could be a carrier for the next 14 days now that I'm working from home and no longer travelling into London, or should I just carry on as normal unless I show symptoms?

Might be worth asking your local group from the above links what their suggestions are? But I'd say if in any doubt then assume you're a carrier, yeah.

(I'm myself feeling Vaguely Flu-y this evening so I'm not doing poo poo for a long while)

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
I'm feeling sort of ..... vaguely flu-y but it seems to be getting better, I worry if I self-isolate though I'm going to lose my job, my employer uses the 'Bradford Score' wank to measure absenteeism and mine's already high for having the temerity to need a lot of time off after both my loving parents died last year.

Dunno! Part of me is like "gently caress it, take the week off anyway" especially because I know at least one of my coworkers is at a high risk. I can live in my overdraft, it will suck but it's better than, like, risking another person's life, right?

Also Animal Crossing's out this week

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

If your firm uses Bradford score for bereavements or government mandated self isolation they are taking the piss and you need to get the gently caress out asap provided you can't get some sort of Union support. We use at my office but only for minor uncertified illness, and even then it's mostly just for safeguarding as people have a habit of disguising chronic stress as a cold.

Ours basically goes up any day you're absent, I think the only exception is if it's authorised ahead of time. This is A Computer Thing where it happens automatically with the clocking in system iirc, some managers (my previous one before I switched roles!) are pretty cool about actually acting like humans about it but I have no idea about my new one. Plus it's just a general Vibe I'm getting about my job security since I switched, I dunno.

It does loving suck though, one guy has had managers Joke, But Not Really about how high his is because he had surgery that they knew about months ahead of time. Vile poo poo.

I definitely wanna get out, it's a miserable job even without this honestly.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Haringey report: went to local bakery and Tesco metro and no signs of panic or stockpiling. Loads of people as usual. I had my spray bottle of bleach and a cloth with me, nobody seemed to take notice as I wiped down everything before packing it.

Bought a poo poo tonne of dark chocolate to make brownies and eat with whisky.

Oh which bit of Haringey if you don't mind answering? Tesco at seven sisters & one of the sainsburys locals near where I work were both trashed a couple days ago and I might need to send a housemate out to get me some odds & sods I didn't manage to get hold of D:

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
We're hosed lol https://twitter.com/epiplexis_/status/1239573022568259587

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Ash Crimson posted:

Be the change you want to see, go out and catch the Corona and then visit all your relatives, neighbours and friends and go cough at them if you're that desperate to accelerate this poo poo

People thinking it was weird for you to fantasise about infecting the infirm does not mean it is time for you to fantasise about other people infecting the infirm.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Ash Crimson posted:

I don't think it's a fantasy at this point lol

Alright Shipman off you pop then

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

keep punching joe posted:

"Work from home if you want, idk."

- Boris Johnson

Is there any indication that they'll be closing shops or does this continue to just be a suggestion rather than anything concrete? My connection keeps farting out on the livestream

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Sanford posted:

Sorry to be needy, thread, but I'm suffering anxiety like I've not for about twenty years and I can't remember how to deal with it. Tips and advice, please? I don't want to bother the doctor at a time like this but I'm feeling like I need to.

Distraction is best ime

For me something using my hands that is fairly repetitive but I still have to pay some attention to is usually best. Like.... rhythm games, knitting, that sort of thing?

Also try to identify if there's anything you're doing that's making you feel worse. I don't mean that to sound lovely but like, I often find myself obsessively refreshing twitter or something because of a neurotic need to KNOW MORE so i can BE PREPARED. What usually happens when I do this is: I dark myself out and give myself a full-on panic attack.

I try to only look at twitter / this thread / news sources blah de blah at specific times and always with the goal of like, getting a small amount of info that I can do something with, then stop looking. Try to ask yourself often: is this productive? What is the actual specific goal? If you can't answer those questions, it's probably fine if you gently caress it off and do something else.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Bardeh posted:

Just went over to the shops to get spring onions and coriander for dinner - it was very quiet in there, all pretty normal tbh. The only thing was there were no eggs, no rice, no pasta. But shelves full of pulses, dried beans, tinned fish (no tuna but plenty of sardines/pilchards/mackerel) Are people really going to be eating pasta and jarred sauces for months? It's loving weird that all the actually nutritional shelf-stable foods are left in favour of pasta and rice.

I noticed the same thing before I started isolating!

I'm on a really lovely medically restricted diet so I was worried about this but apparently nobody wants any fuckin protein in their hoard so I'm golden.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Red enough, London.

Watford buses are blue :colbert:

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

See that roundel? It's not called the Hertfordshire Underground, is it? You're in London, time to develop a chirpy persona even while the bombs are dropping.

I live in London proper as it happens!

But now I take umbrage at this "chirpy" business the main reason I moved here from Herts is because as a po-faced arsehole it was always my true home.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
What does a lockdown mean for people who can't work from home (ie: me), or is that one of those trifling issues Pfeff won't have thought about yet?

I've got about a month's pay in my savings but if I'm going to be getting the equivalent of SSP for the forseeable that's uh, not going to last me very long at all

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

ukle posted:

Allegedly everything but supermarkets shut and they only open at set hours with Army guard, all transport shut, cars banned. If you are on the streets you have to say where you are going.

I.e. they are trying the Wuhan protocol. Its the only thing shown to have worked, but its severe.

Oh I understand that part I think, sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant what happens in terms of.... wages, for those of us in non-supermarket retail? (I work in a builders warehouse which I'm assuming will count as non-essential)

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Mebh posted:

What I'm unsure about is pests. Mostly slugs and snails I guess. In Spain everything got eaten by grubs and caterpillars except our chilli plants. I'm keen to avoid a repeat of that.

Anyone got any tips or suggestions for a series of things to prep for. I'm in Sheffield if locale makes any difference.

My mum was a gardener and usually used nematode worms as a natural (well... introduced, but) pest control. They basically parasitise to kill pests, but they're pretty bloody effective. You can get them at most garden centres!

If that's a bit grisly for you then a thin layer of gravel on the top of the soil can help, also copper strips / copper tape around the planters themselves can stop things crawling up.

e;fb

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
One of my housemates just informed me that his mate who he had over a few days ago (while i was self isolating, mind) texted this morning to say he was feverish :stonk:

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
He really did say loving nothing today huh?

Asking politely for employers to stand by their employees? How about you loving make them? Absolute oval office.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Oodles posted:

For fucks sake, just chucking random drugs at someone to see if it helps.

That.... isn't whats meant by a randomised trial

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
I gave up smoking like a year ago but I am so loving incandescent at that news briefing I feel like I need a pack, christ

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
Got an update from my work social network today that's like "good news! we're busier than ever!" and also apparently they & many other builders merchants are specifically petitioning the government to declare us key workers and insist that even if there's a lockdown we remain open :)

I'm literally sobbing reading it like I always knew intellectually that as a minimum wage worker my life means approximately nothing to capitalists but I didn't expect to get that confirmed so brazenly and prefaced with the words "good news!"

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
My work is shut but it's pending review because our parent company are trying to convince the government that builders yards etc are essential :smith:

I had a customer cough in my face yesterday "as a joke" I really, loving, really hope we don't reopen

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Endjinneer posted:

I've heard screwfix are moving to some sort of delivery only arrangement so they can shut their shops.

I think they're also going click & collect, so you can go into their shops but literally just to pick up an order, which seems... better?

Where I work couldn't feasibly do that I don't think, I'm hoping they'll realise they'd be losing money if they reopen. Obviously my concern is more, like, my own safety, plus the safety of construction sites remaining open, but they're only gonna think in terms of cash

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
Honestly blows my mind that Peter Coffin creep managed to rebrand as A Feminist Ally without so much as acknowledging how hosed up that was or apologising.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Wizard Master posted:

As much as I don't agree with how Boris Johnson has handled everything, I wish everyone with a serious medical condition the best of outcomes and a speedy recovery.

Do you eat the boot with your bare hands or a knife and fork just wondering

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
RE: haircut chat I was pretty bummed about shaving my head bc I'd just found a haircut that suited me and didnt read "girl" but it actually feels really cool and liberating imo.

I've had the wahl 'color pro' clippers for probably ten years and they only cost about a tenner or so, strong recommend.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Ash Crimson posted:

People, look after yourselves whilst you can, I have a horrible feelings things are going to get pretty crazy in terms of the public response to continued self isolation, lockdown and the government's response

If that means preemptively raiding and looting your neighbours homes for tools, food and supplies so be it, make sure you've got a decent bit of wood or maybe a bat to defend yourself against the raiders, seen a couple of them skulking around recently, got me nervous got me hosed up

If you're planning on looting the neighbours its you. You are "the raider" who is potentially threatening the safety of the community. Hope this helps!

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

gently caress me, the cold cuts with random bits of pepper on undressed lettuce! I've had cheerier food at a wake.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

OwlFancier posted:

I think the general core of antinatalism is the idea that yes, the hypothetical person isn't going to experience any of the good things, but they are also not around to care or be unhappy about it, whereas if you create them, they are absolutely going to suffer the bad things and might not ever experience any good to counteract it.

And also, speaking personally, they are quite likely to be stuck in a position where they can't reject the experience entirely because we're sort of designed to be incapable of doing that, so you get stuck in a position where you often hate existing but can't do anything about it either, because again, evolution is blind and doesn't give a poo poo if you're happy because you don't need to be happy to make more people, you can keep people alive just by giving them no alternative.

Nature is a lot like tories, honestly.

This is something I struggle with a lot philosophically. I think I broadly agree (I recently read Thomas Ligotti's book which argued similarly the only guaranteed thing in existence is suffering, not happiness) but then antinatalism is historically uh, not applied very equally. Which isn't to say anyone else thinking along those lines is a eugenecist but it makes me reticent to hitch my wagon to the concept, if that makes sense?

I'm considering reading Lee Edelman next who wrote about a queer antinatalism and as far as I can tell academic LGBTQ+ types either love him or completely despise him for it, hah

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Guavanaut posted:

70% male though. That's something that we also saw in China, but don't quite know why.

There the theories being thrown around were that men in China are much more likely to smoke or that they travel more.

There was a paper i saw going around trans circles on twitter that oestrogen levels seem to affect how severe your symptoms are also, although I don't know how rigorously that could've been tested for at this point? I'll see if I can dig it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

I have to say the most surprising thing about corona is it's made Peston start actually doing his loving job re: tory claims