Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I knew things would be bad post-brexit, especially if we have to use up our food supplies for the coronavirocalypse but I didn't think we were at siege of Leningrad state yet:

Baked babies in Home Bargains.

Good old Mash Direct. They do Gluten Free Beer Battered Chips and Onion Rings, which are great for my coeliac Wife.

I also didn't realize that they are a NI company. When we went Ooop Norf around Christmas Time we saw that they were selling Christmas themed ham and cheese potato bites, and ones with apricot and walnut stuffing. They were delicious.

Wish they sold more of their products here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

Prestwick are gonna have to take down that Pure Dead Brilliant sign at the airport aren’t they

Prestwick airport. Man that takes me back. When I travelled to Scotland I always uses to fly into Glasgow Prestwick. Ryanair stopped doing flights there around 2014/2015.

I think they were mostly using it for flying cargo, but I believe there was a air route to Poland that still flew through there. It was a grand little airport.

In other news Priti Patel is facing quite a large number of bullying allegations.

https://jrnl.ie/5032300

I am sure that if it was a criminal case where an accused had faced this many allegations, Patel would have already decided their guilt. And tried to push for the death penalty.

But since this is just workplace bullying, it's not a real thing and all the people making up these allegations are just doing it because they couldn't hack working with her. Or something.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So if this outbreak continues for months (and the science is pointing to that.) Then the Brexit negotiations are going to be on hold, right?
Because trying to do all the stuff involved in negotiations isn't possible when people are isolating or stuck in hospitals.

And that 31st of December deadline can't be extended because Boris put in place legislation saying it couldn't be extended, right?
Almost as if that was an act of extreme 'ubris* which never accounted for acts of God and has come back to bite him in the arse.

*= It's Greek for Hubris.
And a million nerds points if you can get that reference.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1239582366647103490
Everyone supports walling up a section of the population up in their homes indefinitely, apart from the people who'll be walled up indefinitely in their homes, study finds.

This just reminds me of the scene from Tramnsformers: The Movie where Astrotrain* says they have to jettison weight to reach Cybertron.

Starscream suggests survival of the fittest. All the Deceptions who are health vote for it. All the walking wounded pittly vote nay. And then are chucked out the airlock.

In less grim news over here in Ireland the government have brought forward measures to ensure anyone out of work can apply for emergency social welfare money to cover staying at home. As someone who is self employed it is a life saver.

*= Which bothered me. Why did a spaceship need to jettison weight. Guess Astrotrain was an Astrojerk.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

non-virus chat:

Thanks for the Roku recommendation - after some pfaffing about I have finally got it up and running (and now having the pain of registering all those wretched accounts for BBC, ITV, UKTV, etc etc).

Possibly the best thing is the Spotify - I can listen to my free spotify account on it.
Even though the sound on my tv is crappy it's not as crappy as my computer sound (unless I put headphones in and I don't want to use headphones all the time). I guess I might be in the market for some new speakers at some point in the future.
A few months ago, I dug out all my old cassettes and matched as much as possible to spotify either albums or pseudo-album playlists so I could chuck the old cassettes away.

Anyway, that's my non-virus story for today.

Ed - also, the hdmi switch works great :D Got my skyhd box HDMI and the ROKU plugged into two of the three inputs and single output to the TV and it has a remote so I don't have to get up and down to switch it.

Glad to hear that works.
What I found to improve sound quality for a TV is getting a soundbar. They won't cost too much, and will work with your TV, computer or Games Console with little fuss.
I found modern ones (particularly LG) are good at making the sound even out, so background music and explosions are quieted but dialogue is increased.

Also ones with Bluetooth built in let you stream Spotify from your phones to the soundbar easily.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Any recommendation for a cheapish one?
I'm always a bit alarmed when I see some for £40 and all prices up to and north of £600! (I'm not a hifi buff by any means I just like to get the bass that you don't get on tv or computer (non-head-phone).

I suppose it comes down to supply and demand.
Are there good electronics store near you? With the current situation, you might not be able to leave the house. I've seen decent looking soundbars for cheap in Aldi and Tesco but I don't know how good they are.

I got a very good LG soundbar for €150 around Christmas 2018 and I do not regret it. But I have a LG TV so the soundbar syncs up to the TV really well.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

How long is it until you are in charge of a gang of people from the pharmacy as a kind of Lord Humungous figure? Because then they will see, they will all see.

https://twitter.com/rapplesnake/status/1238085874212093952?s=19

This seems appropriate. (For you English, Dunnes means Dunnes Stores. It's a lower price M&S.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Vradkar is many things. A West Brit. A Bootlicker. Someone with an intense hatred of the poor.
But he is also capable of standing upright and addressing the nation in a mature manner. When journalists talk about "electability" or "sounds like a leader" they mean what Leopold P. Varadkar, and not just "is a white man in a suit."

As for the Irish Government's response, it honestly has come across as hopeful but also fair.
Schools were closed last week. Social isolation was promoted. As the days have gone on, new policies have been implemented.
The pubs weren't closed on the weekend and a few videos went viral of people being jammed in some pubs.
Critical statements were made and a decision was taken to shut pubs on Sunday.
Monday an announcement was made that social welfare payments (€206 per week) were to be fast tracked for workers who can't go to their job as due to isolation and the self employed.
A line of credit is being extended to businesses and they are being told "pay your employees to not come in and we will reimburse you."
Today he goes and makes that speech you've seen linked. And Leo did manage to sneak in a jab at BoJo, because he has done it before and will do again.

Ireland isn't in full lockdown (people can leave their homes and go outside) but unnecessary journeys are being discouraged.
Basically there is trust that with guidance the average person will try to be sensible.

All the more impressive if you understand that technically we don't have a government, since the elections in February left all the political parties without a ruling majority.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I'm assuming these posts are from Tories who upon seeing the video of Leo online said "ah yes. Bloody good speech. Good English, so I assume he must be our Indian chap. Rishi something. Well done for not letting our side down. So odd to keep banging on about that Mick holiday, but good nonetheless."

I would love to he wrong about that however.

Edit: It seems I was incorrect. Looking at the time those tweets were posted at, they were just Tories blathering on about each other. As opposed to some staggering racism, like I assumed.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 18, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

this isn't germane to the main point of your post, but there's a lot to be said for buying a load of weed and baking yourself some super powerful brownies. it only takes like an hour and leaves your lungs completely intact, plus you can go on some pretty exciting journeys while pinned to your couch

Sorry to go back to this post, but I just wanted to say something about this as a lawyer.

Now all of this is said with the caveat that I practice* in Ireland but I imagine that the UK laws on this subject are similar to Irelands Misuse of Drugs Act 1977.

But the difference between possession simpliciter and possession with intent to sell or supply almost always comes down to the value of the drugs.** There is no hard rule for what value of drugs makes it go from S3 (possession) to S.15 (sale or supply) but I have been told anecdotally it is €1,500.***
Simply put, if you a caught with a small amount of any drugs you will probably only be charged with possession.
If you are caught with your personal stash that you have been hoarding for the end of days, they will probably charge you with intent to sell or supply.

Then you have to run the defence of "yes I had a stash of drugs, but they were all for me." And that is one with a pretty low success rate.

If you are worried that the fuzz may come over at some point and "hilariously" walk into your closet with your stash like a 90's sitcom, you could consider putting a note on the bag saying "my personal stash. Not for sale or supply."

You are creating evidence that incriminates you for one crime, but at the same time providing evidence to defend against a more serious crime.

* rnot so much right this minute. I'm keeping clear of the courts to avoid getting effected, even with the latest guidelines.

** = They can take other factors into account so even if you had a small amount of drugs the State can try and prove you were a dealer by relying on things like notebooks you have with amounts and peoples name (tick lists) or mobile phones with dodgy text messages. It makes sense.
Relying on the fact you had weighing scales less so.
That you had stuff like cellophane, string or the dreaded brown paper is really dumb. But that's how the law is.

*** = Definitely don't have more than €13,000 of drugs. Then it goes to a possible life sentence with a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years. But this may be unique to Ireland, I don't know if the UK has a version of S.15A

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

fridge corn posted:

Im sure the billionaire consortium that owns my company will try to argue that we are an essential transport service and thus need to remain open in the event of a lockdown. We're a loving Ferrari dealer

That seems a safe bet. Over in the States Gamestop employees are being told to lie to law enforcement and to say that they sell "Essential Electronics Equipment" so that they can stay trading.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Just popping in to say I'm absolutely flabbergasted that the government still hasn't loving closed anything or locked anything down

We really are the sick man of Europe aren't we, the divide has never been clearer

Yeah but for now it looks like you will still be able to watch videos in HD.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51968302

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

- Why is the asymptomatic period so long, and how is it spreading in that time without coughs and sneezes to give it a good boost?

I am not a qualified doctor or scientist. But my understanding is even before you are symptomatic the virus spreads by

1) You touch your face at some point in the day. The virus is now on your hands.
2) After touching your face but before washing your hands, you touch a surface. The virus is on that surface.
3) Someone touches that surface before disinfecting it. The virus is now on their hands.
4) After touching that surface but before washing their hands, that person touches their face. They have now infected themselves with the virus.

It sounds very plain and boring, and as humans we like to build bigger connections to have things make sense. We almost want it to be some bioweapon or engineered by aliens to kill off everyone with an I in their name.

But the truth is it's just really basic. It's like if God went around and personally punished people for touching their face.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

Apparently these 3.5m tests are going out to the public this week (!) and produce results in 10-15 minutes(!!!).

Where the gently caress have these magical tests popped out of nowhere from? I heard that it was a big deal that China were getting tests that only took 45 minutes!

https://twitter.com/miracleofsound/status/1239794473179197445?s=19

The Irish are on the case!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guess he shouldn’t have been shaking hands with all those Covid-19 paitents a while back.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

Seriously don't be making a kid right now. There will be a spike in 9 months time and you don't want to be having a kid when the spikes are happening, few midwifes to share during the slow season let alone the rush ones.

September and November are the worst times my midwife girlfriend says. (Christmas and valentines day being the causes)

But what if you really want a kid? Like my wife and I have been trying already before this happened. So we aren't going to stop for this.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I know that I completely do not get the appeal of child having but I really, really do suggest thinking about whether it's worth the risk to your SO or yourself at the moment. It feels a bit like a younger version of the demented old boomer going on the radio to talk about being willing to die to go to the beach.

I sort of get the comparison but at the same time I think it's not the exact same.

Firstly my wife and I are above 34. Without giving our ages away, we are at an age where if we don't have more kids soon, we wont have any kids.

Secondly, as I said we had already been trying before this happened. And just because you are trying doesn't mean you succeed. It is the whole "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take" situation.
And then you have the time factor. Even if we got pregnant this month, the baby won't be born until January. I know we would have to be going into hospitals before this many times (friends of ours are due in July. And the dad has been told that he can't go into the antenatal classes.)

Thirdly our daughter was stillborn last year. So we both made the decision to try again as we really want a family and to honour her memory.

Lastly we live in Ireland and while the whole thing has been scary, our government and the people are doing a decent job of keeping the whole situation managed.
The country was predicted to have 15,000 cases by the end of the month. With social distancing and decisive leadership, current figures are 2,415 cases. So we are likely to be below predictions by the end of the month.
It's early days and we do have to stay indoors for all but essential reasons but we have hope here.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endjinneer posted:

Babies have been delivered and raised through every war and plague outbreak our species has endured. This is going to be a tough few months, but it's not the End of Days. It's not The Road.
Keep trying and good luck.

Thanks man.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lungboy posted:

It's not for everyone but have you considered adopting?

It is something have thought about. But we would prefer to have biological children of our own.
It’s something we know we can do, and there is something magical about seeing a child and seeing a younger version of yourself or your partner.

As for adoption, two of my cousins are adopted. And I know how difficult it is to do that. If we had no other choice we might go back to, but we don’t want to give up on the idea of having kid or kids biologically.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

As people seem to appreciate cute pictures during these tough times, here are some pictures of my guinea pigs

The little one is called Winifred and the brown one is Norman Stanley Fletcher, I hope they bring some small joy to you all.

Those are some great Guinea Pigs. I love those names too.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It'd probably make it harder for the virus to enter if all the nice spongy porous membranes are replaced with scar tissue.

Freebase use, like anything that fucks with the cilia in your lungs, vastly increases your likelihood of being hosed once you've got it though, and sharing pipes, banknotes, or anything else increases the risk of transmission.

Didn't France have to issue guidelines to counter rumours that using cocaine protected you from getting the virus?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Is that the one that goons kept burning their dick and balls with?

That's not limited to just Goons. Irish Simpsons Fans had a meme about that, so I have to say that most of the male population have tried using it south of their border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

moostaffa posted:

It's not. Just paranoid army rules

e: Well. not necessarily paranoid. Military generally works on the principle that only things that are specifically approved can be used. HDMI has only been a thing for 18 years so they haven't had time to add it to the list yet.

That reminds me that legislation was brought in to allow for the recording of interviews I Garda custody in Ireland in 1984.
But it was never properly implemented until about 1999 or there abouts.
Where they brought in VHS tapes and Video recording equipment.
While some stations have modernized and record on DVD's (or in some cases you might get a USB with the recorded interview on it.) a lot of stations particularly in the countryside still record these videos in triplicate on VHS. (So three VHS per hour and a half of recording or per interview which could be interrupted for various reasons.)

So Garda stations still have a mountain of VHS tapes for recording these interviews.

And the reason they went with recording in VHS instead of DVD (even at a time when VHS was dead.)
A panel that considered the technology fealt that digital recordings on DVD could be edited and it couldn't on VHS.

My personal opinion was it was because some TD's (Irish version of MP) mate had a bunch of cheap VCR's and they arranged some deal.