Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

that's what makes it british

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

what did noted extremely good and not bad paper the NYT do now?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

it kinda is....

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ThomasPaine posted:

Published this dumb hitpiece article and now of course all the weirdest dregs of the online American woke-sphere are taking the opportunity to get their kicks in

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/us/politics/bernie-sanders-chapo-trap-house.html

quote:

When Hillary Clinton’s name came up, the reaction was nearly indistinguishable from a Trump rally.

“Lock her up,” the co-host Matt Christman said to the crowd.

The crowd began to chant: Lock her up. Lock her up.

amazing

where's the "they're racist" thing coming from? Racist against white people or what?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Trin Tragula posted:

I'm confused about why it's apparently ok and fine and dandy to be telling hi-larious jokes that can't possibly be told without chanting Trump's slogans, but never mind

that is the joke?

I mean if people don't like it, that's fine. If there's a story about it causing wider issues due to surging popularity and wider reach, exposing it to people who don't understand the context, or encouraging problematic attitudes and behaviour in leftist political circles then cool - tell that story. Don't just go to a drat chapo live show and quote lines at face value with feigned horror to create a news piece, it just sounds silly and desperate

The more important question is why Cum Town (assuming that's THE NAME THAT CANNOT BE PRINTED, come on nyt it's obviously latin) is apparently a leftist thing. I know they're podcast buddies and all but both times I listened to it they were just doing slurs over and over and giggling. I might be missing something here, but what is the thing I'm missing

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Come Town My Lord

I;m thinking about thos Towns

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Aidan_702 posted:

There is literally nothing anyone can do to stop if spreading, not even the most god brain of the most technocratic government in the world.

oh really???¿

https://mobile.twitter.com/owillis/status/1234607697540063234

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Up until recently you could read the Independent premium without registering by right clicking, view page source, copy an pasting into notetab lite, pressing the 'remove all html tags' to remove all the crud (which is why I say Notetab Lite' - not aware of another free text editor that will easily zap all the html crud) and then read it.
They seemed to have tightened up though I've managed to catch a couple.

you can do f12 to get into dev tools, go into the Console tab and type document.body.innerText and that should do the same thing (might depend on the level of malarkey)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ ok I love a bit of rubberbandits cosplay but max respect to someone who'll actually step up and go to work with a bin on their head

yeah we're in a high malarkey situation right now :/

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Josef bugman posted:

I don't get this. Why don't older people ever seem to want to change/ improve? If someone was telling me something was wrong I would at least listen.

It's easier to assume things are just fine, so you never have to question anything - including your own attitudes and choices. It gives you a pass to ignore anything you don't like (it's/they're wrong), to be as mean or uncaring as you like (it's their own fault they deserve it), and never feel really challenged or responsible or like you're ignorant of anything

we have a culture that impresses a bunch of behaviours on people as they grow up - admitting you're wrong means you're flawed, not knowing a thing is a weakness, knowing your place and being content with your lot and never demanding more. That's changed over time, which is why people from older generations get scared and angry when that reality they've grown up with gets challenged by younger generations who don't seem to accept all this stuff and behave according to it. Not only is it hard to accept these ideas, there's also the fact that it opens up the possibility that you're wrong and didn't know things which are ideas they've been conditioned to reject

So there's a lot of cognitive dissonance there and the easy out is to just smile and say nope, it's all good, lazy millennials it's their own fault etc. Someone was posting in the Super Tuesday thread about this idea that when someone promises young people the electoral opportunity to change things and make their lives better, their parents and grandparents will turn out in force to crush them. And I think there's something to that, there's an forceful reaction that happens when a narrative starts to get traction, and it's not just about fighting for a particular political ideology - it's a response to a changing world too, people fighting to keep themselves at the centre of it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ you might be able to do something like this but I've never used IFTTT I just know it does that kind of thing

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks for that - seems to work.
(But also the page I tried it on just now loaded so slowly that I did the stop the page loading trick and that worked too - but stopping trick didn't work on another one)

yeah, any smart site is gonna do something where the full article content doesn't load until you're authenticated or whatever - but if they load it all and then try to hide stuff in the display, you can pull some tricks to get at it. the dev tools in browsers now are super powerful, you can probably hack your bank because they also make bad sites

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 4, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah IFTTT is good for simple stuff like that, and plays well with Twitter's API. Just don't expect it to do anything fancy like IF there's a new tweet from a specific username AND [something else] THEN email unless you have a developer account.

what about "AND tweet is bad"??

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Gonzo McFee posted:

Voter suppression in America is wild. Communities with high poverty and minority voters are forced to wait for hours because the government actively closes down places to vote and holds back voting machines. Like, actively making sure there's warehouses of voting machines going unused. For the explicit purpose of disenfranchising anyone who might vote to improve the lives of the poor. They even admit that's why they do it.

the best part is this isn't even a state election, it's the Democratic Party, so as much as they point the finger at the Republicans they're absolutely wild for it if their anointed neolibs are threatened

Sanford posted:

When my new pet beetles are scared they stick their bum in the air and it looks like a scary little monster. My wife says I was more visibly delighted by this than I was when our daughter was born.

when I scrolled down I thought this was The Scream. nice beets!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

What's with this weird shade from the bbc of all people? "heh, instant experts opining on what colour something looks like"

already massively overqualified for a daily politics guest spot

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

fortified mad max towns where the mayor decides who gets in

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm genuinely surprised for tyhe first time in a long time by USPol.

Sanders vs Biden is a really, really hopeful matchup.

the DNC fix is in, everyone's dropping out to allow Biden (it's his turn) a clear run at eliminating Bernie, because the party absolutely will not let him win. Warren's meant to be on the progressive side so that vote isn't being split anymore, but let's see if she actually endorses him

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

kustomkarkommando posted:

The bridge or tunnel remains stupid as there are about a dozen infrastructure projects people here would rather see finished first - like building a motorway to the west, finishing the loving A5, actually building the York Street interchange so you can drive in Belfast, somehow connecting Omagh to rail, completing the works on the north coast rail-line so the train to Derry can run more than once an hour, levelling all of Larne and salting the earth so that nothing will ever grow there again.

All more popular than a big bridge

*Boris Johnson in Brunel cosplay doing the V for Victory sign*

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The squat rack is probably safe am I rite

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

They've expanded it into an investigation into general bad vibes

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

CoolCab posted:

horse ebooks was fraudulent, it was a person writing the tweets from almost the beginning

This is true for pretty much all "AI generated" stuff, at least in terms of editing it or cherry picking the good bits

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ are you sure that's not another JAV title

Guavanaut posted:

I think Flags Mashup Bot is a genuine unfiltered algorithm, it just relies on flags being what they are to have a decent hit rate.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1166392868501643264

if there's an account that needs to maintain plausible deniability it's that one

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

EdBlackadder posted:

So I'm on Covid-19 self isolation. Patient I saw 13 days ago has tested positive in a Spanish hospital. Thankfully I'm only isolating until tomorrow as it stands plus I'm symptom free but I saw a friend with terminal metastatic breast cancer yesterday so if I was positive I've put her at risk.

I can see why people hate this, I'm board already and I'm not even allowed to cuddle the cat. Need to do it, though.

because of transmission to others through cat or is there a risk to pets too?

what's the deal with doctors anyway, are you meant to self-isolate if you saw a patient and you weren't taking precautions? And is it basically up to the 2-week point after you saw the person, so you'd either have it by now or not? Just wondering because if things start to spike I'm wondering how they're gonna keep people safe

Hope you're ok though! Watch some cat videos at least

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

My internal monologue changed reading this. :jerry:

*cat kramers into the room*

Z the IVth posted:

Right now its some variation of 'test, self-isolate and test again if you become symptomatic' depending on the trust. As things get worse though I fully expect it to be 'sod testing, all the patients have it anyway' and you keep working until you drop. Much like what's happened/happening in Wuhan and Italy.

is there a set period to isolate though? Like one day seems like it wouldn't prove anything, but I can see why "X days after the person you had contact with displayed symptoms" might be a thing, if that's what it is?

Yeah I can definitely see them welping it at some point. I can even more see Boris "why contain it, it's cool" Johnson publicly declaring all NHS workers must do the right thing, like in the war, and "work through the sniffles"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Z the IVth posted:

If you're exposed, you'll be tested and you should isolate until the results are back. If you develop symptoms then re-isolate and re-test. If there's any doubt then isolate for 2 weeks.

If they don't slow down the curve he NHS is going to be overwhelmed and everything is going to melt down. There was a presentation today which expected 30k admissions for a region with maybe 6k hospital beds total? It makes a difference whether we reach that 30k number over a 3 months or over 3 weeks. The estimation is a 4-6 week recovery time for the severe cases means resources will be tied up for an exceedingly long time.

oh ok I get ya. And yeah don't worry, our capable PM says everyone should just catch it so clearly it's all under control

OwlFancier posted:

I found a youtube channel that is extremely on brand for the thread re: capitalism and plants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35qF2hEefXg

If you want to be yelled at about capitalism and plants for an hour by a guy who sounds like he's in the chicago mob, it is the channel for you.

yeah that guy owns

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

update

https://twitter.com/sbg1/status/123...ingawful.com%2F

THIS
IS
THE ONE THING
WE DIDN'T WANT
TO HAPPEN

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

sassassin posted:

No one reads those handwashing things so don't waste your time spamming them, please.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Nadine will destroy the coronavirus on contact like Jeff Goldblum with the alien mothership

Well that or she'll be all "actually it's nothing" and make things worse, hmmmmm

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Angepain posted:

look i come to this thread to have a good time after a hard day at work, I'm getting stressed out enough with thinking about this crap all day and then you come along and expose me to even more of it. is it too much to ask to have a little respite. i just want to have a few hours at the end of the evening where I can escape with my internet posting friends and not have to think about the foul unstoppable spread across the entire globe of arcgis software

also I liked this joke :frogbon:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Actually that's not entirely true, you also have to pay for not being tested

https://twitter.com/markmobility/status/1237695939458056192

Amazing

also if you do get to be tested a lot of hospitals will make you have a bunch of other tests first "to rule out other possibilities" :homebrew:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh come the gently caress on, they HAVE to do something soon, if the entire loving cabinet is likely to be infected. This is beyond incompetence. This is a total inability to act in their own self interest in even the most basic and primal sense. It's an animal watching in interest as a predator starts tearing off its leg because maybe things will work out of it doesn't do anything.

They'll get very good healthcare, while the system is functioning fine, and say "see! this is manageable, Wash Your Hands For Victory" to keep putting off the inevitable. When it explodes they'll have an excuse ready, probably about how the selfish millennials just didn't wash their hands enough

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ThomasPaine posted:

You know what I've been deeply critical of the PRC in the past but those lads are really growing on me and I'm beginning to wonder if we're a little too eager to buy into the liberal democratic critiques. They're certainly doing something over there. Why are we so happy to accept Western media outlets when they attack China while acknowledging that they lie constantly about any domestic socialist with mainstream popularity? I wonder if we're in a cold war we don't even realise is happening...

I saw an ITV report on China's handling of it and the massive drop in infection rates - and they didn't talk about how they massively mobilised to build hospitals, reconfigure the existing health service, got the public to take it seriously and made it easier for them to self-isolate or anything. They just said that President Xi travelled to Wuhan and met people, but WHAT YOU DIDN'T SEE were the POLICE and SECURITY in the building (!!!) ensuring NOBODY CRITICISED him because people are ANGRY that IT WAS ALLOWED TO HAPPEN IN THE FIRST PLACE

straight up mad reporting, no lessons drawn or anything

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

restaurants and supermarkets can open but everyone has to stay a meter apart (worth noting this isn't good enough, they also need to not touch anything)

that youtube dude summarising that Chinese study where they tracked people with cctv (no not that one) found that someone caught it from someone sat 4.5m behind them on a bus

then someone else caught it just by getting on the bus half an hour after the contagious person got off

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cerv posted:

food waste bin. you can’t put meat in the compost

look at mr two bins here

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

sebzilla posted:

I have four gigs organised with my band in the next nine days, they're the last ones we're ever going to play, and if they get cancelled I'll be well annoyed.

Luckily there will probably be about ten people in the crowd for each one, so minimal infection risk.

will you be covering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlxmKsTvcLg

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm kinda wondering how much of this lax response is just governments gambling everything on a vaccine turning up before the consequences of inaction hit

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ARE NHS

ARE SOCIETY (such thing as)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Boris has just pretty much said "Say goodbye to granny", holy poo poo.

yeah but also we've done all we can :frogbon: such is life

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

XMNN posted:

where is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRadMzCKnCU

my stream's better less likely you'll see Kay Burley or Adam Bolton

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

there you go, no school closures - the SCIENCE says so and it might make things worse

e- if you think you have it, I URGE you not to call 111, just... use the internet instead? what the gently caress is this

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

absolute whitewashing going on here

WASH YOU ARE HANDS ✌

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

oxford_town posted:

use the 111 online advice thing is what he means, which is sensible insofar as it's much more scalable than the 111 phone lines

well poo poo he could have said that instead of uhhh ah ah go on the internet, he sounds totally unprepared