Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I have it. At first I thought it was just a hangover but I started feeling really cold in my bones whilst my head was getting warm. I've been up all night dry coughing and feel dead achey and just generally hosed. I live in a quite rural area in West Yorkshire and only popped to Manchester last Wednesday (where I'm guessing I picked it up as otherwise I work from home)

Also my girlfriend broke up with me and we live together so that makes all this extra fun (hope she doesn't get it and can still move out asap)

Just going to play Cities Skylines all day and try not to give it to anyone further

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I suspect I have it - I felt rubbish yesterday then a little better and thought hey, that was quick. This morning I feel like there's boiling dog poo poo pulsing through my head and every time I cough it gets worse. My fever has also got worse

I keep trying to think about how this will affect the economy (lol) as if nobodies getting paid for anything - then what?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I made the mistake of looking through the facebook group for my local area - tonnes of older people saying how everyone's over-reacting and they don't want to cancel their annual holiday to Spain/Greece, how they've survived x, x and x and anyway, when it's your time, it's your time.

My other friend who's a surgical nurse said this weekend was the tipping point, people are starting to come in and staff are panicking a bit as there's no guidance for anything, the air that's being circulated round the hospital is probably infected by now but nobody knows what to do.

e: so many places I do freelance work for are also just 'following government advice, so no change for the foreseeable future' - so plenty of events are still going ahead, centres still open for people with physical difficulties, or people just waiting around?

We're hosed.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Universal Basic Income?

Machine learning to merge tech, health, communications and job creation?

K̷̢̢͇̘͕̲̺̖̊́̋̿͛͋͡͝Ȋ̙̪̦̫̰̔̽̀̋̀̚͘̕L̷̲̱͚̞̗͊͑̓̓̋̄͂͂̕̚Ĺ̢̠̤͎̝͐̒͑͌͘͜͢ T̸̠͉̪̖̱̣̉̓̊̂̋́͛̍̍͢͝Ḥ͈̘̳͓̪̝̐͆̿͆̓̀̔́͜͢͝E̡̠̬͖̜̍̆͐́̈̏̍͢͞͝M̵̢̳̦̙̤͊͒̄͐̆̆ͅ A̢̛̛͍͖̲̗̠͓͛͆͐͆̓̚͜Ḻ̵̯͚̯̰̙̭́̉͗̒͐̊̓̕͠L̵̡̛̫͈͉̺̣͍̜̓͋́͊͆͐͡

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Anyone self-employed, on benefits or run a business should have a look at the benefits page from the government

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-support-for-employees-benefit-claimants-and-businesses

I'm self-employed but I'm hosed, so apparently I can now sign up for Universal Credit and get it paid straight away?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

forkboy84 posted:

Heard nothing to suggest otherwise. Also haven't heard about JobCentre Pluses closing down which seems unwise but entirely on brand with the cruelty you expect from Tories

According to this: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-support-for-employees-benefit-claimants-and-businesses

quote:

For people who need to make a new claim for financial support We understand people who are required to stay at home or are infected by coronavirus may need financial support, and quickly. We announce that:
those affected by coronavirus will be able to apply for Universal Credit and can receive up to a month’s advance up front without physically attending a jobcentre
the 7 waiting days for ESA for new claimants will not apply if they are suffering from coronavirus or are required to stay at home – so it will be payable from day one

so if you suspect you have it, go to: https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19 and do the quiz, then screenshot your answer I guess?

In more international news, Kenya has the worst locust swarms in 70 years (swarms the size of cities) - can't imagine they'd migrate up here in summer but following the floods from February, this, potential wildfires again a locust swarm would be the icing on the death cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK8_IYYjBT8

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

My ex who broke up with me last week was sent home and now we're self-isolating for 14 days.

May I interest you in tickets to the my Edinburgh fringe show about it?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Guavanaut posted:

We're going to need a radical cabinet for this.

Cabinet:
Chuka Umunna
Dr Kwasi Kwarteng
Dr John Redwood
Hilary Benn
Hillary Clinton
Sir Edmund Hillary
Dr Tristram Hunt
David Miliband

Seconded to cabinet:
J. S. Mill
Dr Dre

Heh heh... and now I'm going to fire my toms up your backside...

And to lead this crack crisis team?

Take a look at these hands! Take a look at these hands!
The hand speaks. The hands of a government man.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

If they give people a break for mortgages but not renting, there'll be a whole lot of people squatting by summer.

I know two people who have symptoms of coronavirus now. I think as this number increases it'll start getting taken more seriously as I still hear people are just going round like normal.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

If you're feeling bored, I've been caning Limmy's improv stories on youtube this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN3gb8-Uusc

I wish the local library hadn't been flooded as I'm a bit short on books.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

When Attenborough dies that will sink in. Shame more people will mourn him on social media than pick up the phone and chat to their nan.

Feel dreadful today, maybe 4 days in? Keep losing track oftime. Have this obsessive thought that this must be what wearing cardassian makeup all day is, my neck and shoulders have seized up, my heads split in two, keep coughing all the time, I'm hot as gently caress. Thought the symptoms were easing off yesterday but nope.

also getting bored of telling people I think I have it then them asking if I've been tested and having to explain you only get tested if you're in hospital

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Wachter posted:

Yeah those earlier seasons are harrowing. I got hooked on it when I started getting treated for anxiety and depression and there's an episode with a young nascent psychopath that absolutely broke me.

For anyone who likes crime shows, give Hannibal a go (it's all on Netflix I think?). It's about Hannibal Lecter and it's good.

https://twitter.com/SeemaChandwani/status/1240194129449168896?s=20

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

CoolCab posted:

I think it's worth highlighting here that nerves are going to get extremely frayed as this goes on, particularly as places like this thread become where people are getting most of their socialization. And that's OK - things are catastrophically, terrifyingly hosed right now. But we should try to be understanding of other posters when they express their anxieties - even when that expression isn't done optimally.

I was about to say, thank you to people ITT for support and general news stuff. Going to get loving crazy over the next few months so I'm glad to be here (took a break after the election and felt better for it, but now I must rush back to my social media node)

ThomasPaine posted:

So, what do I do? Hole up in London and pray for the best, or pack the gently caress up ASAP and get out?

e: I should also point out that my dad has offered to drive down here, I throw everything in the car, and we drive back. This isn't going to involve lengthy trips on public transport.

I'd go with, be with your family. You don't know what's going to happen over the next few weeks, and it seems like where you've been has been difficult. And if you need to, the countryside won't be too far away rather than somewhere in the sprawl of London so you can go for walks and that. If we start getting blackouts or anything like fires or floods, I'd rather be out in the hills than in an inner city.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

learnincurve posted:

Am I the only one who will admit to using those blue chemical pellets everywhere, and then having bird feeders with blue chemical pellets going in a circle round the base?

I have a ongoing snail infestation and switched to vindictive chemical warfare after one year of playing nice.

Broken egg-shells are meant to do the trick. Onions/orange peel to deter cats. I've seen some deer in my garden this week, I wonder how long it'll take nature to come roaring back with everyone staying in.

I have a real urge to rewatch the original Survivors series on BBC (think some is available on YouTube). It's about a virus that came from China and the quick plummet of society into survivor mode. This video was posted in 2012 and asked if it predicted 2020, spooky!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH6us7DLaRk

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

stev posted:

Is anyone else really struggling to enjoy the TV/films/books/games that we now have time to enjoy? I can't concentrate on anything at all other than the news.

I wanted to catch up on the last few episodes of Avenue 5 but it's not loving funny anymore.

I have a bit of cultural ennui at the moment too, so I've tried doing more productive stuff with my hands. Have a walk around your house and make a list of all the wee jobs that need doing, check you have the right tools for them and give that a go?

If that's not your cup of tea, you could learn CG? Blender is a free tool that's come on a long way last few years, you can do pretty much anything (modelling, sculpting, animation, texturing, compositing etc. etc.) https://www.blender.org/

Whilst I've been ill I've found watching Twitch has been quite mind-numbingly satisfying. It's like the radio mixed with games, gosh. (Twitch is Praxis?) If I hadn't just got rid of my keyboard I'd be learning that. I have a strange urge to learn how to bake, though I don't have ingredients or like cake even.

Also, give the news a break for a bit. Like giving up anything, wean yourself off by having set times you'll indulge and stick to that.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Coohoolin posted:

So I started applying for UC as in self employed and we were told that's where the SSP is going to come from for self employed people, but the website doesn't seem to have been updated to reflect the lifting of restrictions. It still asks me to make a joint application because I live with my partner and she's technically still working. I don't want to get done for welfare fraud, what do I do?

I filled out mine as I would normally, you then have to phone to book an appointment (took me 1hr30 earlier) and talk to them. You can sign up for Universal Credit if you're self-employed, it's usually means tested so is meant to reflect your income (and taking into account your partners income). You also get access to other services like free prescriptions, dentle check-ups and eye tests I think.

(when I initially applied my partner at the time was on a full-time wage and I had just started being self-employed - I was entitled to something like £2.09 a week but the bus there cost more and they didn't refund travel)

If they do role out some form of UBI I'd imagine they'd do it through UC?

e:

namesake posted:

A number of my friends have cars so I'm proposing we do weekend walks, driving seperately and keeping distance during the walk but something communal and outdoors which tracks the passage of time.

National Trust are opening their gardens for free

justcola fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 19, 2020

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Question Time was good, 'matt' was squirming around and talking about everyone being human as the panel asked questions regarding details. Hopefully it'll put enough shame on for something to be said.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Communist Thoughts posted:

whats concerning me is that it looks like evidence is starting to coalesce around this thing attacking the heart not the lungs being what kills you, so the ventilators help treat the symptoms but aren't stopping the deaths.

at the current rate of british science advice i expect the NHS to realise this in about 4 weeks. (id love to be wrong, can any NHS workers itt tell me if they've heard anything about this from above?)
bojo will announce it in some press conference as a startling new discovery and the media will say britain discovered it and is pioneering new treatments

My NHS pal says there's still no guidance, and though they've said operations are cancelled they haven't actually told hospitals yet so he's still amputating necrotic limbs and taking out gall bladders and the like. There's also divisions growing within the hospital of staff going out and about to get free McDonald's and post on social media and those that have been working 14 hour shifts and still not sure what's going on. Although they all think the surgical staff will be going to help CV19 patients, nothing has happened yet.

(this is his experience in a hospital in Lancashire but my sister is saying similar things in Scottish hospitals)

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

OwlFancier posted:

How is a surgeon going to help with coronavirus? Very small scalpels to cut the viruses up?

Transplant the lungs of young people into pensioners, human resources left untapped might cause a catastrophe amongst cyborg billionaires.

It seems the only people who aren't key workers are those that work in arts and culture hey.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I feel strangely calm about the situation, though I'm now out of work, aware of the extent the virus may have and in a much precarious place financially and housing wise than I was two weeks ago it's almost like my brain can't even think about it, let alone obsess or get anxious. I keep telling myself that things are changing so quickly that there's no use worrying about it, and stuff that will effect me will effect a majority of others so just see what happens?

But I feel a more reasonable reaction would be more like being paralysed with anxiety almost, yet I feel the calmest I have in months.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Oh no, I'm good with it, being so calm I can think about other stuff more easily, almost like I've been meditating. I just feel there'll come a point where I'll have to acknowledge things and I hope I can remain relaxed about it.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

EvilHawk posted:

Are takeaways counted a restaurants? My girlfriend's family run one and are completely shut off from the news...

They said restaurants can do takeaways, should be okay.

justcola fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 20, 2020

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Goldskull posted:

Oh

"Sunak also outlines help for self-employed people -- suspending the minimum income floor for universal credit [used by the DWP to assess how much money someone receives under the scheme] .
That means self-employed people can now access, in full, Universal Credit at a rate equivalent to Statutory Sick Pay for employees, he explains."

You have to be loving kidding me, UC? That £94 a week is certainly going to pay my rent, cheers.
How is that system even going to stand up to a million freelancers charging into it at once?

They said something about extra money in a housing allowance (up to 30% the average market price or something?) but otherwise just UBI

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

large_gourd posted:

am i missing something? because UBI is basically what they are doing. universal credit is going to be £1317 a month.

I thought they said £1000 over 12 months, so an extra £83 on top of the usual rate (317)

e: beaten. But although it's nowhere near enough to get by, just £20 a week will make a massive difference to so many people already on it.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Ms Adequate posted:

All joking aside, much as I love DE and think it deserves all the praise it gets, I do recognize it may not be for everyone. I certainly had to be in the right mood for it if nothing else.

I think the opening monologue and ceiling fan could be off-putting, but if you've gotten to the field autopsy and it's not your cup of tea, it's probably not your cup of tea.

Regarding benefits:
I haven't got a clue. I'm self-employed but still have some money coming in for now. It sounds like being on universal credit is better than SSP as you can access other stuff like free prescriptions (both work out around £90 a week?) and there'll also slightly increase housing benefit so that there's no bottom floor for getting it and it will increase to 30% of the average rent in my area? So, works out better for someone living in central London, not so much me who lives in a village in West Yorkshire.

At first I was grateful for scraps from the table as something is better than nothing - unless that 'something' stops you from getting what you actually need to get by. Even Matt Hancock pulled a face and said he couldn't get by on SSP on QT the other night.

Also! Universal Credit is still a horror show. Signed up the other day expecting them to follow government guidelines but they said nothing about day 1 payments or not having to go to the job centre. I had to keep saying over and over I have symptoms of coronavirus and self-isolating. Waiting on the phone for nearly 2 hours other day just to organise a meeting that could be done online was a faff, I bet next week it will be a lot worse.

We don't have the infrastructure to pay people benefits in a normal situation, so I'm guessing this will be totally hosed by Tuesday.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

If you have symptoms of CV or someone in your house does, you can get an isolation note from the NHS (only released recently I think)

https://111.nhs.uk/isolation-note

Tick someone in your house has symptoms for a 14 day note, otherwise it's just a 7 day note (which is odd as if you live with someone who has it, it's 14 days isolation but if you have it yourself, half that time?)

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Borrovan posted:

The 14 days if you live with someone is the incubation period to see if you become symptomatic so you don't go around spreading it, if you're already symptomatic there's no need for the longer period, they're saying 7 days for a minimum or just until you're asymptomatic. This is day 67 for me though & I'm still symptomatic, I'd feel a bit reluctant to just get up one day & say "welp yesterday I was a carrier but today I feel alright so I guess I'll just go kiss my perfectly healthy girlfriend".

How long would you folk give it?

Hard to say really, I'd be a little sus about going out after 7 days if all my clothes and that were covered in covid juice from the person I live with - I'm avoiding my family for 14 days just to be sure but after today I could technically go out (not sure where though)

The more I think about the benefit announcement the more confused I am by it. This guardian article doesn't help.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

jaete posted:

Mate this is already literally everywhere. Why would you think it isn't

It takes like a week or so from infection before symptoms appear, so if in a week or so from now this is not literally everywhere, well, I'd be super happy to be proven wrong

Classic London-centric view ;)

Manchester and Birmingham are quite densely populated, and with the economy so tilted towards working in cities it will have already spread all over. This weekend with everyone going to B&Q or queuing up on nature trails will make sure everyone has the chance to eat a gobful of coughs.

I think there's a wee delay in confirmed cases/deaths as these would be from a week or so ago from first infection - so this time next week I bet we'll see a big swell with everyone having a last drink at a pub or what have you. Feel bad for all the career drinkers who wait outside Spoons in a morning, now drinking warm cans of special brew and watching daytime tv.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

ThomasPaine posted:

We should have a sweepstakes on how long the de facto shutdown lasts, based on say when places reopen and people stop being asked to work from home

I'm guessing 3 months

I think we'll be going all the way through to August/September, just because of economic and health impact. All this talk about being 2 weeks away from Italy - I think we'll be one of the worst affected countries in Europe due to the lack of action taken. A little mini-wave after the initial one.

I signed up to UC as a self-employed person and quoted them government guidelines around it being payable from Day 1 (if you have coronavirus symptoms, which I have) "those affected by coronavirus will be able to apply for Universal Credit and can receive up to a month’s advance up front without physically attending a jobcentre"

They got back to me "the above information is correct however no payments can be made until the full assessment period has passed and your payment is actually due and all information on your account needs to be verified to establish if you do indeed meet the entitlement to benefit. "

lol.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So wtf does that mean?

Wish I knew! I have 2 telephone appointments in a week, but I'm unsure what I'd get or how eligible I'd be.

I'm really struggling financially, I can't even move in with my mum as she has COPD and I don't want to risk giving it to her so I'm looking at either squatting, becoming homeless or potentially killing my mum because my landlord wants a few hundred quid I don't have. I imagine other people are in a similar situation, I'm just hoping things will change soon as this is making my brain a bit noisy.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Walked past a church earlier that was full of people singing, with laughing old people hanging up signs outside saying 'still open'

When you get to heaven tell em Dom Cum sent you :c00l:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

ThomasPaine posted:

You are tempting me to say gently caress it and do it, ha.

I've given them one last chance to back down by suggesting that if I am paying for it 'someone in need' could occupy the room in my stead for April, and they would get their rent as normal. Yes, it's a veiled threat (despite that being a depressing reflection of everything), and yes, I know they'll refuse and I know the contract specifically states that I must be the occupier, no-one else, but it's impossible for them to refuse without looking like assholes, so gives me good grounds to appeal any future poo poo that comes of it. I have clearly tried to do everything in my power to be the reasonable person here as far as the paper trail is concerned. I honestly don't know why they're being so stubborn here, it's only a month's rent and they're not needing to pay a mortgage or anything, seems like given the situation it would be so much easier to just say fucksake and let me go.

I'd familiarise yourself with Shelter and maybe get in touch with them for advice. A County Court Judgement can be serious poo poo so it's not like missing a phone payment or something, they can send you a letter (somewhere) sending you to court, you don't turn up, they ratchet up costs and send debt collectors after you for hundreds of pounds somewhere in the future (potentially)

I'd e-mail them what you said and/or say you're on a limited income and can pay something like £10 a month (or whatever you can do) - get everything in writing, don't answer the phone to unknown numbers, give a contact address (ideally a place of work or something) and then bounce. I'd get moving sooner rather than later if the government's making noises about lockdowns as might be tricky to move house after today.

If owt comes up in the future you've covered yourself in terms of offering reasonable payment under the circumstances. Of course, don't take legal advice off forum strangers, but a CCJ will get back to you eventually.

e: same advice for debt collectors and other scumbags, unless its in writing it didn't happen, offer a payment plan within your means but try and wriggle out of it first.

justcola fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 23, 2020

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Keep seeing people saying what a good job Boris is doing, he looks hosed, give the guy a goddamn break why dontcha :clap emoji:

I guess just doing your job half-arsed is admirable

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

feedmegin posted:

You know...I'm actually glad (sort of) we lost the election, now. Can you imagine the shitstorm we'd have right now, and for years to come, from all the usual suspects if this was happening under a Labour government? Just like 'Gordon Brown spent all the poonds' after the global financial crisis but times a million. People would associate socialism with mass deaths for a generation.

We might have dodged a bullet, there.

On the other hand, all of these policies implemented will have a lasting effect. Working from home will now be more commonplace. Being able to pay people more benefits is possible. Government intervening instead of letting private companies sort it out (ish) is more achievable. Of course, it'll all be framed as emergency measures, but I think it will have shifted some opinion that things don't necessarily need to be terrible.

It all looks fine and dandy at the moment, but when we start getting into the tens of thousands of deaths and everyone knows someone who's died, I think people will be a touch more critical of the government rather than the current bootlicking

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Pablo Bluth posted:

Latest 24hr death toll is 87. That's a significant leap up.

I noticed they stopped reporting on cases and just do deaths now (8000/422)

Wachter posted:

I'm not so sure about this. When all the olds start piling up in ICUs they'll be replaying the footage of youngsters pissing around on beaches.

Aye, but as this will effect everyone rather than being some other, people's lived experience will trump media spin (to a point) - I think how the narrative is formed in the coming months will be how people remember it. Like, the 90s wasn't just an endless summer with brit pop and Blair but its baked that way in people's brains. As we're living in history I think its important to archive prescient stuff and be involved in forming that narrative than left behind (Mandela effect in reverse maybe)

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Ms Adequate posted:

Even more wild is that most of these contingency discussions could be knocked out in more or less an afternoon, you call a Cabinet meeting and get the relevant civil service bods and specialists in to brief, then you figure out at least the outlines of the backup plan, then you can probably break and be back at Chequers in time for tea. The PM/Cabinet doesn't need to go line-by-line through every employment category in the world, you set out the general objectives and have your Permanent Undersecretaries and so on hash out the details, review the next day. That's the whole point of having a theoretically extremely professional civil service staffed with experienced and qualified career bureaucrats. You don't even have to do most of the work yourself, just set the parameters and have the underlings sort it out.

Of course, we are governed by such a credulous, incurious, malign, stupid shower of absolute weapons that as you say it never even occurred to them that they might, perhaps, need a Plan B. After all, everything else in their lives has fallen their way, why wouldn't a global pandemic?

I can imagine them all sitting in some 'war room' and more bothered about catering than actually getting anything done. Sweaty civil servants running through hallways with spreadsheets badly printed out as various ministers just sort of sit with blank looks on their faces wondering about how this might look bad for their department rather than any solution. Matt Hancock looking like a college intern asked to give a presentation to middle management about something so far beyond his comprehension he is the avatar of imposter syndrome. Priti Patel constantly smirking through a presentation about re-infection rates through mass graves. A juddering video conference call from Italy where people keep talking over each other. Wasting time.

All of the planning behind all this will be incredibly mundane, like a corporate away day where they have to LARP a pandemic response but nobody can be bothered and feels entirely out of their depth. They'll have spent just as much time joking about social distancing and coming up with jargon then they will actually planning anything - I'm guessing.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

knox_harrington posted:

Undoubtedly this. But is it still imposter syndrome if you are actually that incompetent?

I read a thing that said for a working class person, imposter syndrome is feeling as though you don't fit into the culture of a job and can't believe you're there. For a middle class person, imposter syndrome feels like you should be there but have no idea how to do the job.

I imagine you can have imposter syndrome and be incompetent - I suspect that's true in a lot of jobs as the entire culture of work, particularly in a corporate atmosphere, is hosed.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Someone more knowledgeable than me on inter-species disease transmission?

According to my mother, the accepted dogma (source according to her BBC) is that this global virus was caused by a Chinese guy eating a bat and it's all their fault because Chinese eat wild animals. And also, as stated by mother, it can't transmit from humans to pet dogs and cats.

Surely, if it can transmit from animal to human in the first place it can go from human to animal. (Or substitute 'mammal' for 'animal' if that helps).

Just say to her it's a zoonotic disease like ebola or rabies or bird flu or swine flu or lyme disease or lycanthropy.

I doubt its from eating a bat as I'm not sure how they could track it to a single bat that was already eaten. People all around the world eat wild fish, animals etc. and that's more or less fine, whilst in this country we've had mad cow and foot and mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QobuvWX_Grc

I always think of this when I think about mad cow disease. Maybe Boris will push his dad into a wetherspoons and seal the containment chamber.

e: If you're struggling for chopped tomatoes just buy regular tomatoes and freeze them, the skin comes off when back at room temp

justcola fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 26, 2020

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Did I just hear this oval office say I have to wait til June for money as a self-employed person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

loving furious. Have to wait til June for any help as a self-employed person. Signed up to Universal Credit but as I didn't request an advance straight away I can't request one until late April, and that'll be hosed anyway as I'm still receiving payment from invoices I submitted at the start of the month and just getting paid now - that'll last me a few weeks, but if UC goes off this months income I'll have nothing for May.

Don't know why it's taking so long when other countries are just rolling it out already.