Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

RockyB posted:

Posting on the first page of the economic meltdown / corona epidemic / oh gently caress all the contractors are leaving thread.

Gonna be a wild month y'all.

E: But don't worry, we solved climate change!

:woop:

Side-note - Fourth community transition case identified in the US. The hoax is real.

[edit] The latest one was a guy who had just died and after being tested doctors were like: "whoops! Coronavirus."

Anyway, the US will make a great testbed to see exactly how infectious this beast is...

Munin fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

They occasionally make off-colour jokes and don't exhibit sufficient po-faced earnestness as far as I can tell. Quite a few accusations of class reductionism too and implicitly therefore ignorance of race issues, from people who think class is an 'identity' rather than an economic relationship.

It's just frustrating that so many of those attacking them consider themselves radical left wingers lol

Their shoutout of "harassment works" last episode was probably not the best humorous pushback against the :decorum: argument.

[edit] I am sure the NYT hit piece is full of dumb but there are definite reasons why you might not be into Chapo's brand of discourse.

Munin fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 2, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

Actually it's good, being mean to shitbrained libs on twitter got Kamala to drop out lol

Nah, don't support the fash, don't support racists, and don't support harassers. Of course a lot was the conservatives and liberals call harassment isn't, same as a lot of what is being called antisemitism isn't, but that doesn't mean it should yay antisemites and yay harassers who both make libs and cons melt down.

The meltdowns achieved winning traction, votes, and arguments are all the sweeter anyway. Chris Matthews apparently walked out of Hardball before he was pushed after he had that huge meltdown over Sanders winning Nevada. I personally found that quite funny.

[edit] gently caress all the TERFy poo poo at the Guardian.

"trans people, part of the patriarchy amirite"

Munin fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 3, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Extensive twitter thread on why Chapo can get tae gently caress, tl;dr:

Well, that seems to be a bit of a non-sequitur.

What argument are you trying to make here? Chapo people = weev? Because you need to actually frame an argument in that case as opposed to just dropping a loving long twitter thread about some shitheads who went hard right during and after occupy.

Trin Tragula posted:

I mean, assuming "they're thick as mince" isn't a good enough argument, which should be patently obvious from how much stock they put in "Just elect Bernie" when anyone with half a brain can see his platform's going to get entirely torpedoed by the Senate if he does manage to win
Don't drop another argument before cleaning up your last one.

Munin fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 3, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Jose posted:

He got outed as a chaser as well though lol

Chaser?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

My workplace is kicking off voluntary wfh. Looks like about 2/3rds of people are taking it up.

We're pretty well set up in terms of laptops and VPN to access shared resources etc so impact should be reasonably limited.

Our clients are all panicking because they are seeing the physical retail numbers start falling through the floor.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I'm just curious given that it'd be odd if they stopped reporting cases/deaths because people are going to want to know that. Seems harder to hide when it's something they absolutely track. Also when everyone's banging on the hospital doors seeking treatment because everyone got it at once.

They are already undertesting and hence undercounting and I am sure they will continue doing that.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

MrTundra posted:

Structural drug design has done some pretty impressive work on COVID-19 this week. A full fragment based drug screen on the major protease of the virus, from beginning to end since January. Not enough time to help with this outbreak, which I imagine is why it hasn't been more widely circulated, but very promising as a lead for antivirals against future outbreaks. This from the group leader on the project:
https://twitter.com/MartinWalshDLS/status/1236355083585179648?s=20

It's absolutely crazy what we can do these days. What advances in computing and imaging have achieved.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Sorry for pulling that out from a bit back but the fact that the vast majority won't need to be hospitalised is right. 20% does not a vast majority make.

Not that it helps matters much since 20% of 70% of 66 million is still far too loving many for the NHS to cope with if they flood in.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

I mean, I don't know if I'd call 80% a "vast majority". It is a majority, yes.

80% won't need to go to hospital though which is what the original quote was about. If Covid-19 was hospitalising the "vast majority" of people who contract it then this would be a whole different ballgame.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

blunt posted:

Am I right in assuming that once you've had it and recovered you're basically fine to rejoin society?

Important note, you are most likely not. It is unclear exactly how long you remain infectious after you yourself get over the infection. Some of the monitoring shows the virus persisting for a decent while after symptoms clear. So you'd be fine around infected and people who've gotten over it themselves but not good to visit your nan.

That said that is another thing that is uncertain so if anyone has recent data on that they've come across do chime in.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Prince John posted:

Not posting to contradict you, but interesting that the NHS advice very much does not reflect this:

Yeah. If you look at various reports it does mention that longer term viral shedding is pretty well documented but not universal and that it is unclear if it can lead to transmission:
e.g. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/COVID-19-Discharge-criteria.pdf

quote:

Prolonged viral shedding from nasopharyngeal aspirates–up to at least 24 days after symptom onset–was reported among COVID-19 patients in Singapore [2]. Researchers from Germany also reported prolonged viral shedding with high sputum viral load after recovery in a convalescent patient [3]. They acknowledge, however, that viability of SARS-CoV-2 detected by qRT-PCR in this patient has not been proven by viral culture. Prolonged virus shedding has been observed among convalescent children after mild infections, in respiratory tract samples (22 days) and faeces (between two weeks and more than one month) [4]. A shift from positive oral swab samplesduring early infection to positive rectal swab samples during late infection was observed on Chinese patients; the authors raised concerns about the fact that COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospital on the basis of negative oral swabs [5].

Researchers from China report that in upper respiratory specimens, the pattern of viral nucleic acid shedding in SARS-CoV-2-infected patients resembles that of patients with influenza; appears to be different from the pattern seen in patients infected with SARS-CoV-1[6].

ECDC comment: Although the oral-faecal route does not appear to be a driver of transmission, its significance remains to be determined. Discharged patients should be advised to strictly follow personal hygiene precautions in order to protect household contacts. This applies to all convalescing patients, but particularly to convalescent children.

The NHS advice might not be wrong but it does depend on your level of caution/paranoia.

Munin fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 19, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe East Asia has the right idea with face masks.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN20W0WL

Aramoro posted:

The herd immunity thing is basically the only strategy, just how you get there that changes. If we don't develop some resistance then we're basically hosed forever. It's why the schools had to be closed for 16 weeks or not at all.

Whilst the study by Imperial is very much down on a lockdown achieving the containment and eradication of the virus some other epidemiologists think their analysis is full of poo poo and a lockdown has a good chance of being successful in this case (as long as it is in fact properly applied):
https://necsi.edu/review-of-ferguson-et-al-impact-of-non-pharmaceutical-interventions

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

namesake posted:

M-M-M-M-MULTIKILL

GOURANGA!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The answer could be poo poo tests.

One thing that does strike me is that from similar starting points the cases in Germany (where little action was taken for a long time) have ballooned, cases in France (where they kicked off measures earlier) are lower, but they are still the lowest in the UK for some reason despite doing gently caress all.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

To be frank, in the Western world there is only a list of Covid response shame, not a leaderboard.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Prince John posted:

"It's not appropriate to do contact tracing at this phase of the outbreak" or words to that effect was what I heard from the government.

Well, the Tories have always been ignorance is bliss type people.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

To be fair, politicians always give a shout out about the crowd at the rally they are at. All the other stuff though...

All the other stuff, men - strong, women - beautiful, "Orientals" etc...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Lungboy posted:

vvv I thought Trump's approval rating was really high at the moment.

Well, higher for him. He is still underwater overall even with the "rally to the flag" effect in play. He is still trending positive though so he might still make it to a positive approval rating next month!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Chew coca leaves everyone! I am sure the extra alertness and energy will be great while cooped up inside.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

The ventilator equivalent of that metal lump that stops the track pins falling out of a T34 by repeatedly whacking them back in each time the track goes round.

Where could I read up about that quirk?

If they significantly change the approach mid way then yeah, you can throw any trends going across that divide out of the window...

All numbers we're getting right now are provisional. The brouhaha about some of the counting quirks in Spain and elsewhere isn't unexpected. Most people are poorly educated about what the current death statistics actually mean and how limited they are. The current global death toll is an undercount.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I wonder what the average SA forumgoer reading comprehension level is.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

What is the deal with the stupidly low "recovered" stat in the UK. Are they just not tracking them properly? (I am looking at the John Hopkins map btw.)

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

E: why the poo poo are the cabinet using Zoom? Why has Zoom become The Thing in this lockdown when there are dozens of alternatives for remote meetings? I had ltierally never heard of Zoom before like... 2 weeks ago.

Their software is so much better than Webex which used to be the go to. Google keeps killing its various communications platforms and MS Teams is only starting to get some traction. Zoom are relatively new on the scene.

The company I worked for trialled the various platforms last year and Zoom worked best. I have had far fewer issues with it than any other platform I tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

What is the Zoom alternative?

Also, what makes Zoom as a company especially lovely compared to the competition?