Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
It was inevitable that eventually an actual virus would have played Plague Inc tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1234457036856885250?s=21

An interesting point. State broadcasters are useful for rapidly disseminating official information in emergencies, but they have to build up a solid base of credibility beforehand.

I wouldn't be surprised if they bring someone on who thinks the coronavirus is all fake and a conspiracy. You know, for balance.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/EdSimpsonNI/status/1234750463440015360?s=19

Want a sausage roll now

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Do slippers count as shoes because if so then hell yeah shoes in the house

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Josef bugman posted:

Jesus, that is horrific.

I am feeling very down at the moment folks. Anyone got anything nice to say about anything at the moment?

Spring seems to be slowly creeping in! Next time you've got a free day and it's sunny make a point to get out into some sort of green space, away from everything. It can really help.

Edit: also the blackbird in my garden is back and he is singing his loving heart out and I've missed it a lot :3:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Private Speech posted:

But clearly we can't let migrants off easily, 34000 pounds a year is a drop in a bucket compared to the damage a stray migrant could do.

Imagine if we just invested that £34,000 in setting them up in the UK and getting them a job and a place to live. Imagine how much better off that person and the country would be. It's loving madness that it's the way it is.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I hope I don't get the coronavirus because I've already had one really bad 2 week long flu this year and I can't be bothered to feel like poo poo again so soon.

Lungboy posted:

Fillet is great for a Beef Wellington, but that's about it. Properly cooked sirloin is a hard to beat for a good steak.

Nahhhh ribeye is the best cut for a steak, no comparison.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

https://twitter.com/Arnold_Platon/status/1237091026185093125?s=20

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ash Crimson posted:

I don't care what people say... Crows are dumb as gently caress

This is the worst thing you've ever posted

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ash Crimson posted:

They haven't even evolved seperate organs to piss and poo poo out off

pretty efficient if you ask me

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

I'm the Cheltenham & Diabetes PULLOUTS.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Both my brothers live in the US and are meant to be coming back to the UK on Saturday for a funeral, I wonder whether they'll get stuck here if the US does decided to include the UK eventually.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

bionic vapour boy posted:

I'm feeling sort of ..... vaguely flu-y but it seems to be getting better, I worry if I self-isolate though I'm going to lose my job, my employer uses the 'Bradford Score' wank to measure absenteeism and mine's already high for having the temerity to need a lot of time off after both my loving parents died last year.

Dunno! Part of me is like "gently caress it, take the week off anyway" especially because I know at least one of my coworkers is at a high risk. I can live in my overdraft, it will suck but it's better than, like, risking another person's life, right?

Also Animal Crossing's out this week

The bradford score is so dumb because the score gets way worse if you have lots of separate times off work, but if you have one or two periods of a few days at a time, it's not as bad. So if you're off sick for one or two days, you might as well take a couple more off while you're at it because that doesn't affect it nearly as badly.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/GMB_union/status/1239116140498034692?s=20

gently caress sake

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
It's times like these I'm glad I have hobbies that involve going out into nature. I can still self isolate but actually do things that I enjoy (until I inevitably actually get the virus and then can't leave my sofa)

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
My work yesterday sent an email out telling all employees who can work from home to do so which is good. I've had a couple of days off anyway for my Grandads funeral today. Felt pretty weird with everything else going on but it's a weight off to not have to go into work.

I will need to increase the frequency of my coffee subscription now though! Sending positive vibes to everyone. This whole situation is insane.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

keep punching joe posted:

I love working from home, so far I've done the massive pile of laundry, played with the cat, had multiple cups of coffee and written about 5 lines of code.

I've just been catching up on redlettermedia. It's great to just have youtube constantly going while attempting to do any work.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Aramoro posted:

These are all we need

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

fridge corn posted:

Lots of doom and gloom in here this morning and im just going to work like everything's perfectly normal

Just lots of doom for me. Doom eternal. Game good, very good.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Necrothatcher posted:

A mouse got into my quarantine stash of jalapeno pretzel pieces last night. I had hoped to live in peaceful coexistence with them in isolation, but this is a declaration of war.

Those are like crack to me so I feel your pain.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
It's going to be sunny as hell this weekend so I'm going to spend all of it outside in the forest on my bike practicing some excellent social distancing.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Went out for an MTB ride today on my own to get out into the woods. Car park was packed and I saw a lot of groups of people. Some of which had at least 10 people in, all spitting and sneezing and coughing away like nothing was happening. I was just astonished.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

Strong renaissance art energy from this frame.

Michelangelo's Dave

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Gwent is a hot spot. Monmouthshire, Newport, Cardiff, Caerphilly

I live in Caerleon, I bet all those fuckers are going to come and cough all over the Roman amphitheatre.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What I do:

Read your meter every few days.
Put on spreadsheet.
Check your tariff: my electric is approx 25p per day unit (incl VAT) and half that per night unit. + 25p per day standing charge.
Gas is a bit harder to work out.
Then you can calculate it.

25p seems pretty high for an electricity unit rate, even on an Eco7 day rate. Are you on a fixed or variable tariff?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Gonzo McFee posted:

Dear lord.

https://twitter.com/YesMissMurphy/status/1242364536365211648?s=19

For a long time I believed boomers were just massively selfish. Now I see they're actually physically incapable of believing anything bad can ever happen to them.

*screams into the void*

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a tesco delivery booked for this evening that was done a few weeks ago before all the major panicking so I'm very curious to see how many substitutions I get.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Went for a big shop today for the first time in a while and the Sainsbury's definitely had some empty shelves but there was some toilet paper and pasta left which was a surprise. Loaded up with enough food not to have to go back for at least 2 weeks.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/devisridhar/status/1242743618986745861?s=19

An endless cycle of lockdowns would suuuck and definitely something that I think a lot of people aren't thinking about. Most people just expect 6 weeks of it and then it's over but I don't think it'll be that simple.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Guavanaut posted:

If you have a hen and a cock then you can just make chickens.

BJFADC

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

sebzilla posted:

...David Cameron?

I wouldn't put it past him

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

:same:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

mods rename me Huge Official Machine tia

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

knox_harrington posted:

Quite nice visualisation off the BBC

lol the US is really speedrunning this whole pandemic thing aren't they

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

josh04 posted:

Thread is getting a little fatalistic, maybe we could curve the mood back up a bit?

This was shamefully overlooked a few pages ago. The whole original thread is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Just found out that my company will have to furlough a large amount of employees, and that they're covering the last 20% of pay, so no one loses money which is pretty good.

What isn't so good is that I'm not one of them. It's the DREAM god dammit.

also yes I am still very lucky to be able to work from home and get paid during this time, but still.