Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

E/N virus rant incoming.

I normally work from home in a nice quiet corner of the Netherlands, and my company is very employee friendly (for a large American corporation), so I would have had no problem at all staying holed up for as long as it takes.

But instead I am on week 4 of 5.5 of a West End musical production period, because the magic of theatre keeps pulling me back in. So far we've just kept going, and the audiences are still coming, but nobody seems to know how the gathering ban will affect us (DCMS seems to be mumbling that theatres don't count as events), so I'm just trundling into work every day, sitting on nice dirty theatre seats and acting as though everything is normal.

We could get shut down at any moment though, which is worrying everyone because

- Will we get paid for the work we've already done?
- What about pay going forward? Everyone who works in theatre is freelance, except the venue staff

Also I don't want to get it and be stuck in this random room in my digs, where I have no food or supplies because I've been eating out 3 meals a day.

And my wife's just told me our cat's poorly and we're worried it's the final decline of his kidney disease, and if that's the case the show can get hosed, I'm on the first plane back to Amsterdam. But then I really need to be back here next week.

Sorry, just feeling very overwhelmed right now :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Prince John posted:

Have a random :glomp: from a stranger. Maybe it's worth sitting back and getting a little perspective on how unlikely the virus is to badly affect you if you're relatively young and don't have underlying conditions.

I know 'the show must go on', but at the end of the day, theatre is just entertainment, and if it's badly affecting your mental health or your need to be with your family right now, then you should consider jacking it in for a bit. There's also the risk that some European countries have been closing their borders over the last couple of days, which might continue happening, although I think I saw there were some exemptions e.g. for returning family members for at least one of them.

As for the food and supplies if you have no time to go shopping, this is a semi-serious suggestion, but a bag of Huel for emergencies isn't a bad shout. It's hardly delicious (coffee flavour is the only one I find palatable), but it is at least nutritionally complete, very compact and contains 30-odd meals at a price of £1.32/meal according to their site. It takes no time to order and like a minute to prepare and doesn't go off for months so it's quite convenient to just leave it there in case it's needed.

Thank you and Jeremoud. It's all good really. Making theatre is very stressful, in a good way. You're right of course, it's just entertainment, but when you're in there it feels like the most important thing in the world, and the emotions build up over 6x 13h days. Last Sunday I cried because my favourite Tapirs at the zoo had been put down since I was last there!

I'm very lucky that I'm young, mostly healthy and even have a job to go back to if we get shut down. Just bad timing all round, as I'm sure it is for millions of other people who were trying to do things.

Stay safe all.

And along with the Norwegian one, I really like this hand cream, available in Boots:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Chinese Gordon posted:

Top tip for shopping: go to specialty ethnic shops/supermarkets. Most white people don't know they exist/are too scared to go in.

Haha, you're not wrong! Just had a wander around Bootses in Euston/St Pancras and not a thing to be had, but plenty of toilet paper and hand wash in the Nisa local (which barely counts as "ethnic" but is still hidden and potentially scary - and TARDIS like inside).

Related, audiences have been stealing the large bottles of hand sanitiser from the theatre toilets - they've had to put signs up begging them to stop

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Sloth Life posted:

In non Corona virus news I have recently discovered Fascinating Aida. Saucy old ladies singing risque and often political songs

https://youtu.be/mVy7faNKEtM

Love them. This one's my favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAg0lUYHHFc

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Thanks for the support during my wobble the other day.

Trip report from the West End: yesterday's afternoon rehearsal turned into a meeting with the producer/theatre owner, who was all on board the government advice train, reasoning that if the scientists said it was ok, then we should keep going. People objected, not on self-preservation grounds so much as "is it responsible of us as actors to invite people to form a crowd". We split off into Equity/Bectu/MU meetings to discuss, but any outcome was preempted by Boris' press conference (which we played over the PA, ugh).

So we are officially shut down, and I'm on a Eurostar home - given that it's a global pandemic, I shouldn't feel relieved and guilty to be leaving the UK, but that's Toryism I guess. As mentioned, theatre is full of actual, legitimate freelancers who are going to be totally screwed by this. The theatres themselves at risk. I really don't know what our sector will look like on the other side of this.

Now I'm going home to be with my cat for as long as his health allows. He shall not be allowed to suffer, but I'm glad I can see him again :unsmith:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Not surprising, but literally every piece on the Guardian's Opinion page is about the virus. Including one from Ed "The Enforcer" Miliband.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Wachter posted:

Aldi was completely out of tinned tomatoes, except, ~mysteriously~, for this brand:

"Octopus with Erbs"... not surprised :v:

(What do you mean Italian isn't Spanish with -a instead of -o??)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Camrath posted:

Hearing from an extremely well informed journalist friend that there’s a complete lockdown of London from Friday. No idea what form this will take though.

Wow, and we thought we were going to perform a musical on Monday...

Camrath posted:

Likewise, I have fudge I need to ship next week!

Incidentally, buy fudge! It kills coronavirus!*

*does not actually kill coronavirus, or indeed do anything helpful other than make you feel happier

Wait this isn't the Simpsons thread

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Camrath posted:

Right click, save as..

Now you just need the dogs with fudge in their mouths, so that when they bark they shoot fudge at you.

Properly wrapped, of course

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

The Dutch in my area seem to have been fairly restrained in the supermarkets, but have cleared out the Boots-equivalents of Vitamin C and Paracetamol.

I think we're on the same trajectory as the UK though, so it's going to get worse before it gets better :(

Communist Thoughts posted:

i've seen a few non-crank sources suggesting this might not be the case or at least not only be the case.

but i can't find them now cause googling anything about corona or looking through my history is like looking for a needle in a haystack, so ignore me for now

Brexit voters: "Stop moaning, you'll still be able to work in the EU, you'll just need a visa"

[is from the country that does the above]

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 20, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

isnt the dutch strategy legit still herd immunity or has that changed?

I can't tell anymore

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/03/group-immunity-not-main-aim-of-dutch-anti-corona-measures-says-health-chief/

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/03/we-are-aiming-for-maximum-control-of-coronavirus-pm-tells-the-dutch/

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

XMNN posted:

probably some combination of pretending everything because reporting bad news would be unpatriotic, and it being easier and marginally safer to hang around Whitehall whatsapping the cum meister about what measures they're maybe considering taking at some critical moment when the timing is perfect instead of going to an a+e waiting room overflowing with potential carriers

Also, when waiting lists and queues are an abstract political concept happening to other people, they're outrage-worthy. When it might happen to you, the reader, imminently, it's just plain scary.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Not loving today. We got our cat back from the vet, perked up by IV fluids, but that won't work again so this is probably the last few days :(

And an email from company HQ in the US saying basically "if we get shut down then nobody's getting paid, hope your country has good Corona benefits". Which, given we're in manufacturing makes some sense, but still :(

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Endjinneer posted:

Forget about the ventilators, this is what we need to devote our productive capacity and cognitive effort to.
What's the legacy of this crisis to be? A load of bodged medical equipment, or a fantastic repertoire of cocktails-from-the-back-of-the-cupboard?

Can't be done, you'll never find any cough syrup

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Igotadigbick posted:

has anybody who has gone outside with a mask or gloves been verbally abused for it? I sure have!

Seriously, still? I wish we had a culture of people with colds wearing masks (or staying home, but capitalism), but guess that would get laughed at in normal times, but now?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Just saw that Twitter thread saying "supermarket shelves may be empty for more complex reasons than people being an unstoppable selfish horde", and loving* the several replies posting pictures of empty supermarket shelves going "but look at these empty shelves!!!"

*loving that I only go on Twitter via this thread

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

crispix posted:

If they're spooked by the sight of empty shelves then i should rather fancy that they'll have a very bad time if they go to B&Q!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dadjoke:

(aforementioned shelves in B&Q being DIY shelving that, generally being sold flatpacked to be erected in the home, are technically empty of contents) :dadjoke:

:v:

I was going to get some bits to do DIY but now I'm too worried about money.

Speaking of, for the after times, can anyone recommend a small tree-like plant that we can put in a pot outside, that isn't too easy to kill?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Thankfully the vets and pet crematoria are still open here, because we had to say goodbye to Jimmy yesterday. Horrible timing, but at least he's not in pain now.

He was such a good boy.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Predictably, they're resisting meaningful help for the self-employed:

quote:

In the Commons Rishi Sunak, the chancellor, also told MPs that he was “determined” to find a means of helping self-employed people who are losing work because of the coronavirus crisis. But he said it was “incredibly complicated” finding a way of designing a scheme that would help those in need, while not giving money to people who did not need it.

Oh no, not giving money to people who don't need it! The ultimate Tory sin!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Oh yeah, the leadership. I managed to get myself membered in time, but then had to submit proof I was on the electoral roll.

Which made me thing, doesn't that mean you can't be a Labour member if you've lived outside the UK for 15 years? And don't Labour oppose that policy for UK voting?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Jose posted:

It's fun hearing people at work realising that despite the government's promise of money nobody can actually get any either because companies can't be bothered to claim the money back or they're just not eligible or the big one that can't afford to pay workers just and you can't even claim yet

We would have far more use for "there's not as much to do, go to 50% time and the gov will pay the other 50%", but the 80% thing is all or nothing.

And I feel very bad that my wife and I were able to say goodbye to our cat, in person, in a calm and controlled way, while humans are going to die alone :(

(As my first in-person cat euthanasia, for my first "own" cat as opposed to family, it's just made me more pro assisted dying for humans. Thank jebus my parents live in a country where it's legal, should they ever need it)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Endjinneer posted:

The tediously predictable next headline will be "NHS refuses life-saving Dyson ventilators" and a load of moaning about overbearing safety tests crushing innovation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52043767

Followed by Dyson calling the NHS a "pedo guy", presumably.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

I'm worried about the self employed thing. They said they're going to gently caress you if you claim while working but what happens if our income has been inredibly hosed? I was considering working a few hours on the weekend to try and cover rent but it sounds like that might disqualify me for claiming any money even if i'd be earning like 1/4th of my usual pay.

If only there was a way to give everyone enough money to live on, so as to sort out all the many ways that people's situations are weird/complicated/unique!

Sorry, not helpful, it just makes me angry that even now, they're carrying on with conservatism rule 1: "somewhere, somebody might be getting away with something!"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Why did Jonah sing?

Because everybody sings in Whales :dadjoke:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I keep forgetting that yanks put a mountain of sugar in their bread. Does it just taste like ice buns or something?

Yes. Having a ham sandwich with their white sliced is very odd.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Surprise T Rex posted:

Smash cut to the queen, currently being kept alive by a solid gold ventilator.

Wouldn't a solid gold ventilator weigh hundreds of pounds and ventilate crummily?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Article in the independent talking about record number of evictions. What a poo poo species.

https://www-independent-co-uk.cdn.a...n-a9427361.html

"And it warns: “Estate agents, property management agents and landlords are very keen to evict tenants as they need the rent paid in full during these difficult times.”"

Ah yes, evicting people, that well known way of getting the rent paid in full

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

crispix posted:

I thought they were little ghost faces before I started reading

It's the Monster Munch debate all over again.

These are the correct ones by the way

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

He couldn't outrun it then?

Is Covid-19 Rover?

Rovid-19?

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 30, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Isomermaid posted:

You know the Lemon Original Source? loving *lemon curd*!

Lemon Original Source is one of only two things I import from the UK in an expatty kind of way. It's like washing with sherbert lemons!

The other being Oatibix.

:(

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

quote:

The government has announced a £75 airlift initiative to rescue tens of thousands of British nationals stranded abroad because of the coronavirus.

I know they're churning out thousands of words to keep the live blog updated, but this made me smile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

"Hey Webex, can you keep the video feed of the meeting room with 8 people big, and everyone else small?"

"No! Guy on his own in Italy is breathing! He go big now!"