Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Love to see the Johnson news. It’s such a great example of how the general public don’t actually give a poo poo about what they claim to. Imagine if this was Corbyn. Just loving imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

sebzilla posted:

Today I have been a dad for five years. :toot:

🥳

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Latest podcast is tough listening on the back of the South Carolina result, that’s for sure.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Paperhouse posted:

I don't think that's true, the thing with the corona virus is that it seems to be very contagious and basically doesn't look like it is going to be contained at this point. So even though it is less deadly than SARS (and way, way less deadly and horrifying than ebola) I kind of expect it to cause more widespread problems than they did

It’s not that it’s especially contagious (R naught, or the amount of people a carrier infects is 2.2 compared to 3 for SARS and 10-20 for measles) it’s more that the incubation period is loooooong which is great for spreading widely.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

ThomasPaine posted:

if you happen to live in dewsbury there's only one place you should be buying your meat and it's from this lovely gent

https://twitter.com/djonesbutchers/status/1235271384860962816?s=20

Top man.

And this is... not really the kind of promoted tweet I expect to see on a butchers page.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

mehall posted:

I think there's some in australia too

Three different companies though (Aus/SA/UK), just share a name.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I expect this is a bot but on the other hand I'm pretty sure there are people who think like this and think they have a choice in the matter!

https://twitter.com/christi90551674/status/1235703303696236545?s=20

Anything with that kind of string of numbers has a good chance of coming from one of the Russian farms.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Virus threads posted this little nugget and now I'm seriously considering not coming into work again after today

(Read the whole thread. Sorry, it's not been unrolled by the thread app yet)

https://twitter.com/AbraarKaran/status/1236680330456809472

The unroll has come in - thanks for this.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1236680328875474944.html

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Goldskull posted:

And guess who booked a £2000 holiday to New York about 3 weeks ago?

The holiday might well be cancelable - my partner and I have just cancelled our New York trip and been offered a full refund despite having non refundable rooms. :shrug:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Well I certainly wasn't expecting to see gig-style queueing systems for an Ocado order today.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The governments response is loving infuriating. I guess this is what happens you you elect a single issue government! Fucks sake.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Turned up at the doctors to be told my appointment is cancelled and they’ll do an appointment over the phone instead. I’m not sure how they’re going to administer a T injection over the phone but I’m intrigued to find out.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The lack of testing (unless you’re somehow a celebrity) is pretty annoying. I’m isolating with symptoms, having been in contact with someone who absolutely has it (he’s basically a tick list of the symptoms) but because no-one he has been with (we’ve both been at large events with an international audience a couple of weeks ago) has been officially diagnosed, he can’t get tested, so I can’t get tested. It’s like a magical chain where somehow someone in it needs to have been tested. But they’re not testing anyone.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's this true? I dunno what the important stats are or whose tables matter most especially in a situation like this but the Euro Health Consumer Index 2018 puts us 16th and Italy 20th? But I also saw somewhere talking about Italy as second only to France in having the best healthcare so I dunno?

The better healthcare I mean, not the population and density stuff obviously.

North and South Italy might as well be two entirely separate countries in terms of wealth etc.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

sebzilla posted:

Hang all landlords, even my mam.

I know it outs me as an elitist middle class snob but gently caress me, there seems to often be a strong inverse correlation between how much of a oval office people are and their ability to communicate properly.

When you're chatting poo poo with your mates obviously talk/type however you want but when you're in a business relationship or a landlord situation I'm always shocked by the poor standard of many people's written English.

Source: recently got shafted by someone on some roofing work and their emails got less and less coherent each time I asked for an itemised breakdown of costs.

I feel in the case of the above it’s because they don’t really give a poo poo. It’s not a professional arrangement to them, the landlord clearly thinks they’re acting out of charity.

Because what’s more charitable than immediately resorting to veiled threats against someone’s place of shelter?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mebh posted:

So what you're saying is more Gin and Tonic?

gently caress if people start panic buying Tonic water I'm going to be so pissed off. That's literally the one thing keeping the wife and I sane.

That and gardening... with Gin and Tonic.

Sainsburys was completely sold out of tonic water yesterday. Also all the non-poo poo beer. Lidl had plenty though, so I'll survive!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bessantj posted:

I think the panic buying has finally stopped, I was in Iceland and while it was packed nobody seemed to be hoarding anything, most people were using baskets. Also I sneezed and a kid from the next isle over shouted "bless you."

It was still pretty bad here yesterday, but I'm hoping it'll die down soon as people realise they've got enough stuff. We don't have food shortages, we don't have TP shortages - we just have trouble getting them out on the shelves in time.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

keep punching joe posted:

Is Eton still open?

Eton is closed. I'm personally amazed - the people there pay a lot of money to not have to deal with their kids.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Roller Coast Guard posted:

The CBeebies presenters are telling kids all about washing their hands and using soap in the segments between shows.

The cruise ship I was on a few years ago had a video which would play over the screens sometimes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwROGmJ946M&t=18s

It's unsurprisingly still ingrained in my mind.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

justcola posted:

If you have symptoms of CV or someone in your house does, you can get an isolation note from the NHS (only released recently I think)

https://111.nhs.uk/isolation-note

Tick someone in your house has symptoms for a 14 day note, otherwise it's just a 7 day note (which is odd as if you live with someone who has it, it's 14 days isolation but if you have it yourself, half that time?)

The guidance is 7 days if you live alone, 14 if you live with someone else - maybe they’ve coded that in incorrectly.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's quite difficult to know with no testing available. I suppose 14 days after you and her last had contact would be enough for her to show symptoms if you did have it?

I was just talking with my sister yesterday: She and I and a couple of other family members have had 'weird colds' since January (myself early March) before we really knew about this thing. I have had a cough now for several weeks. BUT these are something I am prone to anyway. We're all self-isolating anyway.

When I say 'weird colds' - I went back and checked out a message I sent her early March so I knew I wasn't making it up - I had a sore throat (normal harbinger of a cold for me) but it didn't last the usual 12 hours - one side of my throat then the other - and then seem to go and then turn into a full blown snot fest, it lasted over 48 hours and did not go snotty. I felt that my chest was full of chalk. Various other things that could have been mild symptoms of CV. But might not have been.

I suspect it has been present in the UK for some weeks longer than we think.

This is almost exactly my symptoms too - right down to the early March timeline. Over the last couple of days I’ve swung around to it just being a weird cold rather than roni, was considering going out today after (mostly) isolation for the last week.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Hopefully the CMA will actually look into these.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think I must have missed something (I had a nana nap and went for a walk over the fields- met just one person out, a comrade, and made him stand 2m away as we conversed on the situation)
Was there another outpouring of rubbish from Johnson's mouth this afternoon?

https://twitter.com/liamyoung/status/1241776692705792000?s=20

They know exactly what carers. But they want to make sure they can’t be held responsible for anything, so they’ll give guidance like that. Not their fault if the carers REFUSE to follow it!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Weasling Weasel posted:

Why are there so many asymtpomatic football players? (Plus one symptomatic one)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51935585
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51991426
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51995470
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51995137
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51987923

How bad must it be in reality if in these isolated cases about 1 in 7 have no symptoms? I'm really worried about the end of my holiday on Thursday, I feel like my cold is finally knocked on the head but I'm out of the frying pan into the fire. The seats at the desk must be 3 feet away from each other.

Yeah, I think that’s probably fairly reflective of the population. If ‘normal’ people can’t get tested they’ll go through just like these footballers, have it and never even realise. It’s only because the clubs have managed to get them tested.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pesky Splinter posted:

They will totally attempt to memory-hole this though. Or at least attempt to contextualise it as only working during a crisis and not during "normal" times.

Still :lol: though that it's pretty much forcing their hand.

And as much as I'd love Nationalisation of the railways (it's ridiculous they're not), the fact that they'll probably go straight back to private straight after this shows the worst side of privatisation - the companies get all the profits, the taxpayers pick up the losses.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

communism bitch posted:

No official reason being given but the rumour mill suggests that insurance won't cover a closure without explicit instructions to close from the government. I'm already locked in my tower like quasimodo anyway, but I feel for the poor bastard cleaners, gardeners, and maintenance workers who are all herded together like pigs.

This is certainly true for a lot of insurance contracts.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Total Meatlove posted:

Suspending the congestion charge when there’s no real lockdown in place is going to lead to an influx of people travelling in from the Home Counties isn’t it

I wouldn't think so - what would people be coming in for? Everything's shut.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Payndz posted:

"Nikos Hardalias" is exactly the name I would choose for myself if I were going on the lam in Greece.

As someone with the first name Nick, it's the kind of alias my brain would come up with while thinking 'aliases are hard', and I'd just go with it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

TheRat posted:

SWEEP THE LEG

It's Brazil, not Italy, and probably nothing to do with the virus at all but still - that came out of loving nowhere!

I'm leaving London tomorrow and have already cancelled my Ocado order that I had to book 3 weeks ago - if I can't leave I am going to be seriously peeved.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It’s because Johnson wants more than anything for people to like him. And to do gently caress all actual work - he wants that too.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Read a bit more and he's right.

Yeah, Musk's a dick, but in this case he's right.

https://twitter.com/matponta/status/1242178406659358720?s=20

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Has anyone tried to redirect their mail through Royal Mail? My cards all fail, despite me confirming in app / putting in a text code.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I did it in Oct/Nov last year.
I used barclaycard from a computer (Windows 10) not a phone.

(Really going now).

Thanks for delaying! I tried on Safari with one of the cards and it went straight though. Chrome didn't work at all.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mugsbaloney posted:

Someone talk me out of buying a bike.

Absolutely not, get a bike. You can exercise away from people and the roads have never been quieter!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

An entire family who are masters in distraction and misdirection.

Drummond is alright, considering. Does work for homeless charities and helped fund a school in Kenya with another magician.

Hahaha, amazing.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 25, 2020

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So has anyone actually signed up for this volunteering thing? I would be up for doing pharmacy deliveries and stuff like that, if only to get myself out of the house.

Girlfriend has, specifically to phone people who are in isolation alone to chat to them. Very proud of her, that’s going to be tough.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

StarkingBarfish posted:

Will do, but I'm beginning to run out of birds. There's a few sneaky ones that are too quick at the feeders still and I've yet to get a Robin I'm happy with, but as long as people don't mind photos of the same species I'll keep it up.

Don't you dare stop! A bit of nature and lighthearted-ness is exactly what is needed!

Seriously - thank you, love them. Great pictures.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52044374

Genuinely surprised to see the BBC even questioning this. I thought it was only the Labour policies which needed to be costed. Bridge to Ireland? gently caress it!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Zalakwe posted:

A million times this. I've been dying to show off my - cough - sorry, my SON's clubhoise project.

Mighty suspicious cough you have there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

learnincurve posted:

“ He says this will be open to anyone with trading profits of £50,000.”

I know nothing of this but this seems a tad high to me

Not for contractors in The City. Who is exactly who he’s appealing to.

Edit: apparently not, but I’m not going to dirty delete here.