Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ash Crimson posted:

I don't think they could do it this time though, especially if more than one needs to be closed, especially in England where there's more people crammed together in cities, o mean do they have enough police to potentially lock London down?

You order all government offices to close, which they will definitely comply with, you order all public transport to stop, which is really obvious if they don't, you get police on the streets to patrol major junctions and challenge people moving around and you expect all other businesses to close and direct people to stay inside. Fear, lack of places to go, lack of means to travel and some state enforcement will reduce traffic massively.

it's not like China had troopers in helicopters swooping down on people out on the street, although perhaps there's a greater expectation of compliance there than here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Communist Thoughts posted:

how are they gonna deal with our people's rebellious, independent spirit? unlike the deferent and cowed chinese

Not like that, the Chinese government openly interjects itself into general life to a far higher degree that we have in the UK and so the quarantine is definitely a massive step up but it's less of one than we would see it as.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

theyve said alot about old people dying better from corona virus. Is it the same for babies and children?

No. It just scythes through the elderly and the medically vulnerable.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone else secretly thinking 'phew, Labour govt aren't having to manage these crises (floods, viruses, economy collapse, brexit etc) and getting the blame' while having to cope with PLP shenanigans, anti-semitism smears and so on?

That's not my primary thought but a Labour minority government would be getting attacked for not doing enough while parliament and the press also attacked anything they proposed so the actual results might have been even worse than they will be as necessary messaging and legislation gets derailed by bullshit.

FTSE in the red again and BoE fires one of its final bullets- a vague statement about doing everything necessary to restore stability.

QE can't unlock quarantines or make raw components magically appear though.

Edit: "Finally, fans in Southampton were warned not to touch or take selfies with pop star Peter Andre."

Good advice BBC!

namesake fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 2, 2020

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Not going to lie, can't say this is something I've been told before.

Paradoxically that probably means you haven't been going out enough.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This sort of scenario is a good justification for a universal basic income.

Government could order everyone to stay home.

If UBI = NMW £8.72 (? didn't check), 35 hours pw, approx 30million of working age, est cost £9bn per week.
Some employers might pay on top of that.

Or alternatively issue ration books / have army deliver rations or whatever and pay a lower rate. (During the Egyptian revolution, there was a 3pm curfew. Every night the army would come and fill up the shelves in the local shops - but you couldn't buy anything because there was no cash in the ATMs and card use in shops was quite minimal then).

I'm surprised (not really) that there doesn't seem to be a contingency plan that they could more or less pull off the shelf - every local authority has a Disaster Management department I think?

They won't have been reviewed in a decade and will probably make references to a Soviet invasion risk.

The plans announced today will be the best they've got at the moment and that is basically just 'react to something when our stupidly fragile system snaps'

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

fuctifino posted:

LOL. What a lazy poo poo... It's not as though there are important things to be Prime Ministering...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/03/boris-johnson-paternity-leave-prime-minister-carrie-symonds

And before that he'll engage in a series of self-isolations to set a good example for the country. So he'll self isolate at Number 10, his country house, his house in France, etc...

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think it just means that if your first choice loses the round, and you haven't put a second or third choice, then there are fewer votes going into second / third round.
I just put RLB - couldn't decide between Nandy or Starmer. So just means if RLB doesn't get through round 1, that's it for my leader votes. (I still think Starmer will win round 1 because of all the £25 entryists).

I'm afraid he'll get in on full membership votes, the liberalism is deep in the party membership.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Could I use the UKMT collective brain for a moment? There's a theory that basically says journalism seems plausible until it's in a subject you're educated in. I can't remember what it's called and am finding it hard to define in a way that Google finds it.

Does anyone know?

No but you reminded me of the great anecdote about how everyone across the planet who reads the economist reads it for their foreign coverage because everyone sees how laughable their local analysis is.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Archaeology Hat posted:

I guess it makes more sense if you have a flag that doesn't look very similar upside-down to the right way up?

Two ships are sailing along their course and come into sight of each other, they both immediately change headings directly towards each other at full speed. After a brief exchange both ships return to their original courses at normal speed. What happened?

One was registered in Ireland, the other in the Ivory Coast both of which which look like the other upside down.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Was there some big "gently caress BOATS" meeting I've missed?

Buddy,

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Flybe going tits up would be a great time to advocate for better public transport infrastructure but nope none of that is going to come out of this government.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

crispix posted:

Ah yes but one day I might be the one reaping the profits! Then I will be glad all the little people like me are getting screwed! Surely only a matter of time before the tables turn :slick:

Very few people actually think that. Most are resigned to that just being the way of the world and can't see where positive change will come from or fob themselves off with 'genius risktakers getting rewarded' rhetoric or at best think if their kids can get some lucky breaks then they'll get to achieve that level of success.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

I have a tiny, tiny cough which started a little bit last night and has continued this morning.

I've just emailed my therapist to see if she'd prefer I cancel, and I'm probably going to do the same with work and (very grudgingly) the friends who are supposed to be visiting tonight.

I suspect it's just dust from where I was baking the cake last night, but goddammit.

Hey if I'm ill at least I won't need to go into London next week :unsmith:

It doesn't help that literally every post I've seen on FB this morning from my friends is about some form of pain or illness, including from at least one person I've been within two feet of in the past two weeks.

Given all of that unless your FB friends have been travelling or otherwise in a area where there have been cases you will almost certainly have a regular cough.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Actually those are both examples of the sort of public elevation of fascists that we should be encouraging.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm so glad the world all got on the bandwagon of electing complete idiots to government just in time for the disaster of our lifetimes

The cause and affect of that is important for leftists to point out to the public now and during the worst parts coming up.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

It's PMQs tomorrow, I wonder who will take the opportunity to skip out rather than hang out anywhere near Boris.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Surely this is the time that an arms reach company given responsibility well outside of democratic accountability and observation will face the consequences of their mistakes!

*Nothing happens to them*

Ah, nevertheless...

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, what's going on in Japan? They have an incredibly low test rate for how badly affected they look like they're going to be by this. Their healthcare service is pretty good, and you'd think that having to cancel the loving Olympics would get them off their backsides.

Either their initial response was perfect and they caught it well before it started community spreading or they're covering it up by selective testing restrictions like the USA.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

Never seen a political party so enthusiastically cull it's own voter base!

They think they've got 5 years and no ideas about what they want to do during and after so why not!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

lol the FTSE is going back to 2011 levels.

Where's the announcement Boris!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

I'm really sad to say but that's not going to happen. Boris will spin it as them taking a hard but necessary approach and that the deaths were caused by brexit 'dither and delay' or whatever insane drivel he comes up with.

people will believe it and blame corbyn and the EU

Nah they've hosed themselves. The budget was about 'Rising to meet the COVID 19 challenge' and other bullshit, they've set themselves a challenge, are going to fail in a public way which causes unnecessary deaths and we will make they suffer for it.

The government won't make it to the next election, it's going down before then.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

yeah but this is the same government which is claiming to fight climate change while funding fossil fuels. it doesn't matter how obvious the lie is anymore.

Which is why you build power around the reality and start smashing your foes rather than pretending there's a discussion to be had.

gently caress the gammons, build your forces and use them.

lmao he's keeping the schools open. He's really trying to get people killed. Openly so.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Boris Johnson is a present and urgent threat to your existence and way of life.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

THE SCIENCE

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

The fundamental rationale behind this strategy is that people are going to get bored being stuck at home and eventually want to go outside so that's bad. That's it. It's loving madness.

gently caress they've just brushed over children sharing and being transmitters of covid 19 from schools as well.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Electronic old men running the world.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Oh good, we'll get through this with outbreaks of altruism to help the needy. There's a psychological phenomenon we've seen lots of recently.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

So their thinking is we're 4 weeks behind Italy and 8-10 weeks before the peak.

And they're refusing to restrict anything.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Oh god they ARE trying the herd immunity strategy but not saying it aren't they?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

ukle posted:

More like less than a week. Expect SHTF somewhere in London this weekend.

That would actually be good, the sooner there's an obvious OH gently caress WE MISCALCULATED SHUT IT ALL DOWN the better.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is now a good time to buy stocks, what with the markets dipping low?

hahahahahahahahhahaa

great joke, thanks I laughed a lot.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Trades posted:

The government response to this seems to embody the kind of defeatism that seems to infect every other policy domain, where they’re behaving as if radical change is impossible and people and markets are fundamentally uncontrollable. It’s completely nuts in the circumstances but true to form.

Yes that's the point, they can scream SCIENCE all they like but their modelling and understanding of humanity and society is so utterly hosed up that they're obviously wrong. It's like pointing out that markets that set their own prices clear in the food market as an obvious good while ignoring all the starving people it creates.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I’ll have to try and track down the article I read on it so it’s not just hearsay, but the answer is, “not much”.

You take those beds to maintain elective treatment capacity while allowing larger real hospitals to convert theirs to ICU beds for infected patients.

Nurse friend of mine has had their elderly patient ward converted to covid 19 ward. They're expecting it to get worse from today.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Here's something my socialist group has put out to try and push through union branches and CLPs but it's a list of the sorts of things that we should be thinking and doing in response rather than letting the Grey Death rampage through the streets:

https://www.rs21.org.uk/2020/03/13/acting-on-covid-19/

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

CGI Stardust posted:

Out of my arse - one theory might be that wealthy people tend to have fairly dense social networks, and meet with people who've travelled a lot, which would put them at a higher risk of catching it from an early case and spreading it to others. Then you might see higher spread amongst the "upper echelons" first.

Wouldn't want to bet on it, but it's a vaguely plausible story

(probably more likely that it's everywhere)

Yeah think about the places the first European cases came from - ski resorts and business conferences. The nature of capitalist society means this was transmitted first around the geographically mobile and their enclaves and then spread to the general population. This was spread by the rich.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

Also I need to stop reading this thread and social media in general. When you're alone in a tiny room away from all your loved ones it's very easy to let the anxiety get the better of you, and I'd quite like to stop imagining myself choking to death tbqh.

Read the doomsday economics thread and just shitpost NUMBER DOWN it's really fun.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Okay so Boris' announcement was awful but at least he isn't running a series of commercials for corporations like Trump is lol

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

They're still doing something. It's terrible and inefficient but they're 'trying'. Bojo literally said 'we're going to let lots of people die' and got away with it.

I honestly think 'You're on your own HUNGER GAMES!' is better than 'This pandemic response has been privatised."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Soylent Yellow posted:

Not really. What we will probably see however is the usual seasonal winter illnesses tapering off, which at least reduce strain on the NHS.

Look people keep saying this but the flu season was early this year, it's already passed by.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...eek_10_2020.pdf

There are going to be other cold weather issues causing some increased admission but we're back to normal ability levels.