Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Just moved in to my new place and trying to work out what Internet looks like in the UK for the first time in a decade. Are Andrews & Arnold still the recommended isp for good tech support, and least likely to shop you for downloading Linux isos? Anyone with a similar rep but less spendy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Cheers, will give both a look in.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's happening, my office is shutting next week, minimum of 2-3 months. Glad i brought all my catfood home from the office.

Wait, you work somewhere super serious re: closing, right? :ohdear:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Enjoy the hometime Jermoud. Any tips for the rest of us? My uni is still silent on whether staff should work from home. Line managers are already turning a blind eye to those electing to telecommute tho.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I'm living off 4G until an engineer comes out to determine that yes, there is a fiber connection already here...

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
What with the universities strike and coronavirus I've been hiding at home for the past two weeks. This has been great since I only moved in at the end of Feb, so I've been mostly unpacking, doing some DIY and now that i have a garden for the first time in my life I've been enjoying all the birds that frequent it. I've been taking photos of them and there are a load of varieties that have been visiting. Figure the thread might want some apocalypse respite so here's a few photos from the past week or two:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Prince John posted:

This is awesome, please post more.

Have you got a nice clean bird bath in your garden yet? We found that this is even more important for attracting hordes of birds than the birdseed. They will get snooty about it if you don't give it a quick scrub to remove algae every now and again though.

Thanks! We don't have a bird bath, that's a good idea. We're near a piece of green belt with a stream so I figured they had access to all the water they might need but anything that attracts more of them and keeps them happy I'll be keen to add.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Long-tailed tits are the tits.

There's a load of robins as well but they don't hang around the feeder, they fly in, grab something and fly out. I'm shooting manual focus so this makes it near impossible to catch them.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Have a very photogenic bluetit doing the 'guardian op-ed journo' pose:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Your daily garden bird update:

~chirp~

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Answers Me posted:

Is anybody else's short-term memory completely hosed right now? I can't remember how many days I've been working from home for, I keep having to check what day of the week it is etc.

Is there a term for this? I guess it's just generalised anxiety/trauma, and a consequence of my adrenaline being through the roof with the work I'm doing. I'm finding it really hard to just slow my brain down, so I guess it's a result of that...

I found doing exercise and a routine helped with this. I've got a routine now where I get up as usual, do some work, lift some weights, back to work, then lunch. Repeat in the afternoon and make sure to clock off as usual.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Today's garden bird is a rather pissed-off looking Robin:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
This essential worker arrived to have breakfast with me this morning:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I have to ask.

Have all these birds literally pecked away the plastic from your feeder?

No, the squirrel did! I had to move the plastic feeder to a clothesline to keep him off it, and provided him with peanuts in a metal feeder instead:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

hemale in pain posted:

also i'm a 'key worker' because i do deliveroo.

New thread title.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
A new visitor to the garden today, a european greenfinch:

also, the bluetits are getting noisy:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Today's Barfish Breakfast Birb (tm) is the Hedge Warbler, which is a much nicer name than the more common English name of Dunnock:

They sound lovely :3:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Having trouble identifying this bird. Likes peanuts though:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1242186414349078531

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
For those who want to watch without a TV license, grauniad live stream isn't a broadcast channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bUCwmYcvzY

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
exercise once per day is a huge loophole as well. I was doing 10hr cycle rides on the weekends back when I lived in a country where the weather was good and drivers weren't out to murder you. I was thinking long rides would be nice now there'll be less traffic on the roads... probably a dick move to do so though.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
npower just cancelled my smart meter installation for today. Understandable given the circumstances but I'm gutted because I only just moved in and need to figure out how spendy my bills are going to be.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What I do:

Read your meter every few days.
Put on spreadsheet.
Check your tariff: my electric is approx 25p per day unit (incl VAT) and half that per night unit. + 25p per day standing charge.
Gas is a bit harder to work out.
Then you can calculate it.

Yeah I know, it's me being lazy. The gas and leccy meters are just in different parts of the house and a hassle to read.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

I herd u were talkin poo poo like I wouldnt find out

I'll bash ur fken hed in sware on me mum

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Bobstar posted:

Thankfully the vets and pet crematoria are still open here, because we had to say goodbye to Jimmy yesterday. Horrible timing, but at least he's not in pain now.

He was such a good boy.

RIP Jimmy. Looks like a good cat that got lots of pets.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

OwlFancier posted:

I decided to try doing push ups to verses of the internationale

This is genius.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I looked at the ASDA delivery slots and there is zero... ever. Their calendar runs out mid april and everything is taken already.

I'm sufficiently stocked with staples but I'm going to run out of fresh veg within a week or two.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Charlie's got the rona. Bet the queen is laughing her arse off

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Today's Barfish Breakfast Birb (tm) is a Bluetit again, but look at the BLUE STEEL pose this fucker is breaking out:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Please keep doing these. Reminds me of another forum I used to visit where somebody turned up in random threads to post a crab fact of the day. They were his only posts. Learned a tonne about crabs (at the time).

Will do, but I'm beginning to run out of birds. There's a few sneaky ones that are too quick at the feeders still and I've yet to get a Robin I'm happy with, but as long as people don't mind photos of the same species I'll keep it up.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

crispix posted:

prolapsed disc

Send photos to Jose

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

keep punching joe posted:

The UKs biggest morgue.

You may joke but that is literally what the back half of the hall is being designed to be.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Today's breakfast birds are the bullfinch couple. They're messy eaters:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

It's almost as if they could have done this at any point in time but chose not to :thunk:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Who in the cabinet is most at risk of complications?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
If Mancock and Bojo have it I'd guess quite a few MPs have it now.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Requesting jeremy_corbyn_hmmm_splendid.jpg please

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Today's breakfast birbs are a fat goldfinch:

and I finally caught the robin sitting still long enough to get a photo:

E: few more pics here: https://imgur.com/a/Iohq9hs

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 28, 2020

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Lol:

https://twitter.com/Orwell_Fan/status/1243849640648335361

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
My local asda (Swinton) this morning was reasonably quiet at around 8.30. Fully stocked save for flour (lol) and long life milk. Had plenty of regular milk, lots of pasta though not any of the good stuff just home brand. Was low on beer too. There was loads of discounted produce which I went to town on as I've freezer space.

According to the checking lady they had brought in 10 new staff to cover sick leave in the coming weeks.