Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The_Continental posted:

This thread is all of a sudden riding upon a razor thin precipice.

Does this help?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/759054203801079810

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/759398459224920064

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

The_Continental posted:

This thread is all of a sudden riding upon a razor thin precipice.
my precipice was cut off at birth

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

his chest is all speckled like a birds egg.

would.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, so you're saying that there are no blackies in Dilbert AT ALL!? Like nowhere in the strip is a black person? Well that actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it, I mean how often do you see the blacks in the tech & office fields?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

oh wow, he was the guy with the confusing torso?

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Pretty hot for an older guy I'd say

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Didn't 9/11 completely destroy his already soft soft brain?

He's pretty ripped for a dude of his age though.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
e: joke that didn't work

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Arrhythmia posted:

e: joke that didn't work

Congrats on having a better grasp on comedy than the Dilbert guy

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Caesar Saladin posted:

I don't think he was brain destroyed by 9/11, that was much more Frank Miller's thing

The 2016 election definitely either broke his brain or just exposed it to the world, he told people he wanted to vote for Trump but would vote for Hillary because he was afraid feminists would assassinate him if he didnt

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think he had a stroke around 2003, but instead of going to a doctor he just kept drawing comics.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I like how it's someone else's job to add colour to a dilbert panel. it's not like its a comic book that has more detailed forms and a dedicated penciler and inker. it's a step above stick figures. all he would need to do is use the paint bucket in photoshop and choose if someone's shirt is red or blue.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Daikloktos posted:

I wish I had the collection handy so I could quote his put-upon annotation for these. Also, dovetailing nicely, note the flattened tie.

Even taking this as face value: He was complimented on his new character, given a very simple suggestion on how to prevent potential criticism... and somehow he still made the stupidest possible response :psyduck: It would have been easier to just ignore the advice and do nothing.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 2, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

piratepilates posted:

I like how it's someone else's job to add colour to a dilbert panel. it's not like its a comic book that has more detailed forms and a dedicated penciler and inker. it's a step above stick figures. all he would need to do is use the paint bucket in photoshop and choose if someone's shirt is red or blue.
I believe it was common practice in the industry before things went digital. Sorry to say but Jim Davis didn't intentionally construct a cat rage room for Garfield. Adams colors them now though - I wish I could find the video of him in his fingerless support glove methodically tapping every wall with intense concentration

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I enjoyed Dilbert when I was like 16, I am now in my mid 30's. Thanks for listening to my TED Talk

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Caesar Saladin posted:

It was the Trump election. He predicted that Trump would win because in his speeches he was hitting all of the high notes, and avoiding most of the pitfalls of public speaking, and when he did hit a pitfall, he'd hit to so egregiously that people would just forget whatever he had done outrageous previously. Hillary was hitting fewer speed bumps but grinding to a halt because of them.

People who were following the election closely lost their poo poo, and Adams lost a ton of his speaking gigs.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i work in computers and i have met dilbert, he is not my friend, goodbye

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

UltraRed posted:

It was the Trump election. He predicted that Trump would win because in his speeches he was hitting all of the high notes, and avoiding most of the pitfalls of public speaking, and when he did hit a pitfall, he'd hit to so egregiously that people would just forget whatever he had done outrageous previously. Hillary was hitting fewer speed bumps but grinding to a halt because of them.

People who were following the election closely lost their poo poo, and Adams lost a ton of his speaking gigs.

Adams brain has been smooth a long time. 15 years or so ago I got one of his books as a gift and the first 3/4 of it is standard Dilbert comics with satirical(?) essays in between. Then for the last 1/4 he goes "Now the rest of this book is comedy but this is totally real so proceed only if you are not faint of heart because I have some secrets of the universe that are going to BLOW YOUR loving MIND" and its all The Secret/poorly under Quantum mechanics mysticism/Timecube/I change dice rolls with my brain type poo poo.

Once you understand Adams' cosmology his love of Trump makes perfect sense. It comes down to the belief that Trumps spectacular ability to bullshit his way through life proves him to be a master chaos magician.

Recently Adams has been attempting to track down an evil wizard hypnotist who he believes lives in the US training an army of cam girls.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 2, 2020

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
He's a total dipshit, but I don't think he's racist. Or at least his comic strip wasn't.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

This was also my immediate reaction.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The Dregs posted:

He's a total dipshit, but I don't think he's racist. Or at least his comic strip wasn't.

Its about as racist as Apu from The Simpsons.

The tweet in OP is actually pretty shrewd considering his political alignments. I doubt many black people would be singing his praises on including black characters in his strip at this point. Whats more telling is that he never really bothered to include them in the first place as his conception of an IT office doesn't feature them at all. I'm against including "token" characters to increase some sort of diversity score, and most syndicated comic strips are starkly void of any PoCs.

So, maybe not racist? still a total dipshit.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
He also supports trans atheletes playing sports. He's not exactly a "chud"

quote:

Then for the last 1/4 he goes "Now the rest of this book is comedy but this is totally real so proceed only if you are not faint of heart because I have some secrets of the universe that are going to BLOW YOUR loving MIND" and its all The Secret/poorly under Quantum mechanics mysticism/Timecube/I change dice rolls with my brain type poo poo.

Once you understand Adams' cosmology his love of Trump makes perfect sense. It comes down to the belief that Trumps spectacular ability to bullshit his way through life proves him to be a master chaos magician.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
one thing I remember from his early books was that he repeatedly claimed that he couldn't get promoted because of diversity initiatives that his bosses would tell him point blank that they would never promote white men. at the same time he also bragged about how good he was at avoiding doing work. so he admits that he was a poo poo employee but blames his inability to advance on black people. he also blamed the cancellation of the Dilbert TV show on the same thing. idk sounds pretty racist to me

like a lot of you I was a big fan as a kid/teen, always knew there was something weird about him but he generally seemed smart & insightful back then. there was a good blog post theorizing that Scott Adams lost his ability to detect irony at some point around the turn of the century which is why the writing is so tortured and unfunny now. of course that explains why he's become such a bootlicker as of late.

for some reason I subjected myself to the Sam Harris podcast he appeared on, I don't really like Harris but I kinda wanted to hear Scott Adams actually get challenged on some of his obviously stupid ideas. he got loving demolished, like his whole thing was "I'm going to propose a series of insane hypotheticals in a weirdly calm voice, by the way if you use any sort of metaphor I will proclaim victory" and Harris was just telling him how blatantly dumb and false all his talking points were. just embarrassing.

also for some reason this reminded me of some vintage stdh.txt that he posted a while ago

https://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2007/06/my_best_story.html

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

massive spider posted:

Adams brain has been smooth a long time. 15 years or so ago I got one of his books as a gift and the first 3/4 of it is standard Dilbert comics with satirical(?) essays in between. Then for the last 1/4 he goes "Now the rest of this book is comedy but this is totally real so proceed only if you are not faint of heart because I have some secrets of the universe that are going to BLOW YOUR loving MIND" and its all The Secret/poorly under Quantum mechanics mysticism/Timecube/I change dice rolls with my brain type poo poo.

Recently Adams has been attempting to track down an evil wizard hypnotist who he believes lives in the US training an army of cam girls.

...how many GBS parachute accounts does he have?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Can't get promoted/bad conditions at work" and "I only do the exact minimum work needed to not be fired" is a real The Chicken or the Egg scenario for modern life.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Daikloktos posted:

He also supports trans atheletes playing sports. He's not exactly a "chud"

yeah his political views are all over the map with no congruency whatsoever. fwiw my theory is he only latched onto Trump as a way to build his brand and speak to a base of highly gullible idiots, as he is the sort of person who is so rich and insulated that he doesn't really need to have any coherent political views. consider for example the fact that his big pro-Trump argument was of all things the loving estate tax

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Whether or not he's a racist doesn't really matter considering he has no morals whatsoever outside of tenacious self promotion. He loves Trump because Trump steamrolls through his own mistakes and appears unflappable.

Scott Adams has carefully cultivated this air of "smartest guy in the room" with the intention of gaining wealth and influence. All he cares about is personal success, which he then inflates to act as an expert on any given subject. Rinse and repeat.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the dilbert cartoon where Daniel Stern plays dilbert was good

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Stavros Halkias recently made a good point about how "Kids who stay interested in magic are weird, because when you are a kid you think that magic is real. If you stay interested in magic after you learn that its not real, then you are really attracted to tricking people".

Scott Adams is a hypnotist, which is the creepiest possible thing to be.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

The_Continental posted:

Whether or not he's a racist doesn't really matter considering he has no morals whatsoever outside of tenacious self promotion. He loves Trump because Trump steamrolls through his own mistakes and appears unflappable.

Scott Adams has carefully cultivated this air of "smartest guy in the room" with the intention of gaining wealth and influence. All he cares about is personal success, which he then inflates to act as an expert on any given subject. Rinse and repeat.

Friendly tip: You should be able to describe the views of people you don't like in a way they would agree is fair, and *then* explain why they are wrong. This is known as steelmanning, as opposed to strawmanning. "He has no morals" might, ya know, cast doubt on the objectivity of your assessment here. I really don't give a poo poo about this dude but this post was some next level mind reading.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

The_Continental posted:

Stavros Halkias recently made a good point about how "Kids who stay interested in magic are weird, because when you are a kid you think that magic is real. If you stay interested in magic after you learn that its not real, then you are really attracted to tricking people".

Ii wonder what Stavros thoughts on religions are

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

UltraRed posted:

...how many GBS parachute accounts does he have?

im definitely not him

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Relayer posted:

Friendly tip: You should be able to describe the views of people you don't like in a way they would agree is fair, and *then* explain why they are wrong. This is known as steelmanning, as opposed to strawmanning. "He has no morals" might, ya know, cast doubt on the objectivity of your assessment here. I really don't give a poo poo about this dude but this post was some next level mind reading.

lol Scott himself occasionally describes himself in those terms, I remember him straight up saying he was picking Trump to win because "everyone remembers when you get a longshot prediction right"

not only that but much like his idol Trump he is constantly whining about how everyone is so unfair and mean to him (even when they're just quoting his own words back to him) so the idea that we need to concern ourselves with what a giant entitled baby considers "fair" is silly. outside of "I am a genius and nobody understands how smart I am" he doesn't have consistent views

JAMOOOL fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 2, 2020

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Relayer posted:

Sorry Scott Adams,

I know that hyperbole can sometimes be lost on your superior hypnotist IT brain. I never said I was objective. I'm here to poo poo on the diblet guy because I think he is an amoral, self-serving, clown.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelschein/2018/06/20/dilbert-creator-scott-adams-is-evil-and-why-you-should-follow-his-lead/#33e4995e30a7 - heres some evidence so we can avoid 4 letter words like "strawman".

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Aaah just checkin in on the yearly Scot Adam sucks thread, bang up job guys digging these probates. Catch you in next year's scott adams post

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Willfrey posted:

Aaah just checkin in on the yearly Scot Adam sucks thread, bang up job guys digging these probates. Catch you in next year's scott adams post
I was thinking of starting this year's Animorphs thread tonight. Might wait until after Super Tuesday for when I can devote my full attention

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

The_Continental posted:

If this includes magic as in thinking you can influence things remotely with your mind or soul it would explain so much about someone I knew recently. Stay away from people like that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Alien Sex Manual posted:

I don’t have anything insightful to say but Scott Adams is a dipshit.

I haven't even read the rest of this thread, but this exact quote should just be used to answer anything, whatever, whenever, wherever.

"What do you think of the turmoil in the Middle East?"

"How about them Knicks, huh?"

"Does this dress make me look fat?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Relayer posted:

Friendly tip: nobody gives a gently caress