Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm excited to doom eternally and cross paths with animal friends this month. My kids have been getting into FPSes lately and have been playing a lot of Left 4 Dead because they got it for like 2 bucks on a steam sale, and it's nice to come back to since the last time I played it was 10 years ago when they were infants and the Goon4Dead crew was still active. (They almost invariably take the title as a suggestion though, and immediately run off after I get downed trying to save them.) We've also been co-oping though the original Doom 1 and 2 episodes, which is something I haven't done in at least 20 years. Feels good man.

Also I got the Samurai Shodown remake on Switch last week because which was nice because I'd forgotten it was one of the things I pre-ordered before my best buy GCU ran out ( :rip: ) and it feels kinda... low budget? Like something feels off about the models and animations, I can't really put my finger on any one thing but it doesn't seem like it would be a $60 title in the year 2020. Anyone else who's played it get a similar feeling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
voted bowsette

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Infinitum posted:

It's insane to me there is a new Half Life game being released this month, and I'm more excited by Animal Crossing.

This. What a time to be alive.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

to be fair, the new half life is like if Sega were to announce a new Skies of Arcadia but it's a Kinect game

or if Capcom announced Okami was coming back.. as a visual novel

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't generally follow the shin megami tensei franchise much but I have at least a general idea of what the games are like.

That being said, I know absolutely nothing about Devil Summoner and Devil Survivor games are. What are they? Just more SMT games but with a different name or do they vary from the dungeon crawling pokemon style of the others?

e: and on that note, what's the difference between SMT4 and SMT4 Apocalypse? Is a redo of the other, a sequel, an entirely separate unrelated game?

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 1, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

summoner rules, you're a 1930s detective investigating demon mysteries and the combat is more like ARPG with a demon ally (still random encounters though)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also, how did that dragon ball z fusions game and that monster hunter rpg (I forget the name, but it was a spinoff, not one of the mainline games, and wasn't that animal crossing game by From Software) turn out? Either of them any good?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've heard monster hunter stories is fine, it got a port to mobile that has higher resolution visuals so that's probably the one to look into

as for devil survivor, that's an SRPG but when one unit attacks another unit it switches to a quick turn-based combat round

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

write-in vote for bowsette motherfuckers

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Mainly asking because of that gamestop buy 2 preowned get 2 preowned free thing, I might use some of the fun money from my paycheck to pick up some stuff but there were plenty of titles I recognized but didn't actually know anything about.

Such as Culdcept Revolt. I know I've seen that name before but hell if I know what it is other than I think something to do with cards.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Mainly asking because of that gamestop buy 2 preowned get 2 preowned free thing, I might use some of the fun money from my paycheck to pick up some stuff but there were plenty of titles I recognized but didn't actually know anything about.

Such as Culdcept Revolt. I know I've seen that name before but hell if I know what it is other than I think something to do with cards.
i keep almost getting the same used games from gamestop: folklore for ps3, DQ7, atelier iris, and an etrian game. but then it keeps rejecting my paypal and i say gently caress it never mind

but after this past month where i went jrpg crazy i think i'm not even going to go through the motions of adding those games to cart. i need to play a different genre for a little bit.. or just not play so many jrpgs... so certainly getting more would be a mistake

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

i need to play a different genre for a little bit.. or just not play so many jrpgs... so certainly getting more would be a mistake

It sounds like Steel Diver's day in the light has finally come

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i probably will go through game pass again, since they picked up good games during my retro-a-thon to start the year. like gris and children of morta

but also play a couple of games from humble that i've gotten like the hex, project warlock, and whispers of a machine

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

really enjoying the new raid they added to ff14 a week or two ago

where every 2 hours you and 23 other people get on a boat and catch as many fish as you can, until one person catches a ghost fish and everyone's transported to the fish dimension where they have a fishing minigame boss battle

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

About halfway through Uncharted 2.

Enjoying it a lot more than UC1. Has more personality to it and the environments are great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

As I understand it State of Decay 2 drops on steam this month and I'm down for it, I'm still vaguely in a zombie mood

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
new thread smell time to make some bad posts

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Relax Or DIE posted:

someone dish the deets as to why the escape from tarkov thread is closed

they escaped

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Anyone playing Diabotical? Feels pretty awesome for closed beta and I've run into a lot of old school Quake veterans in my matches.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

That being said, I know absolutely nothing about Devil Summoner and Devil Survivor games are. What are they? Just more SMT games but with a different name or do they vary from the dungeon crawling pokemon style of the others?

e: and on that note, what's the difference between SMT4 and SMT4 Apocalypse? Is a redo of the other, a sequel, an entirely separate unrelated game?

If you're still talking about the 3DS games, Devil Summoner is basically just a mainline SMT game (albeit in the style of SMT1/2, so not nearly as good as Nocturne onward). The other series (Raidou Kuzunoha) are PS2 hack-and-slashes which are neat but not generally considered to be great to play. Devil Survivor games are SRPGs and are really really good to the point where DeSu1 is one of my favorite games that I've beaten like 3/4 times

SMT4:A is a totally different game set during the events of SMT4. Same world and areas with new additional zones but otherwise completely different game

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

No Bowsette so I voted 1 instead.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Apocalypse takes place in an alternate universe to SMT4. It picks up towards the end of the original's Neutral route and the new main character fucks everything up and causes things to go completely off the rails.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

and the new main character fucks everything up and causes things to go completely off the rails.

Aren't there a fair amount of SMT games that can be described this way? :v:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just got back from the sonic movie. Jim Carrey deserves a goddamn oscar

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

oddium posted:

they escaped

I shoot up and offscreen with a fun slide whistle sound effect

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Rune Factory 4S is well-times for me since I was just thinking about farming managey games to tide me over until Animal Crossing.

I’m still pretty early in and so far it’s... ok? It’s very regressively anime but the characters aren’t terrible and I get to water crops which is nice.

honestly the worst thing about stardew is that it's not anime enough

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1234026694647746560

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That doesn’t seem that impressive tbh, pong and Mario 64 have both been relegated to the same “old junk from the beforetimes” part of my memory.

Also god of war 1 turns 15 this month

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
SM64 is the second best mario game

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

SM64 is the second best mario game

Right behind SM64DS.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk how the new one ended is there going to be a God of War 2/5

Maybe Kratos could take a trip to Japan and fight some of their gods

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Probably egyptian gods are next

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

idk how the new one ended is there going to be a God of War 2/5

Maybe Kratos could take a trip to Japan and fight some of their gods

The follow-up will likely still involve the Norse pantheon, they're not all dead yet

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I reluctantly started using the block button in ffxv, this actually is doing a pretty good job of getting me excited for trials of mana next month.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Also, how did that dragon ball z fusions game and that monster hunter rpg (I forget the name, but it was a spinoff, not one of the mainline games, and wasn't that animal crossing game by From Software) turn out? Either of them any good?

i played all the way through Monster Hunter Stories and really really liked it.

Looper posted:

honestly the worst thing about stardew is that it's not anime enough

let me tell you about nexusmods

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Animal Crossing is a bizarre beast in that describing it sounds like watching paint dry for a lot of people. You can write down all the features and if you've played it you know why it's exciting but outside looking in it sounds like someone getting hyped up for a groceries list.

It's a very mundane series with a genuinely 'cozy' atmosphere. You aren't pressured to do anything. You build a little house for yourself, go to the store to buy furniture to make your house look nicer and you do fetch quests (in most cases) for your neighbors. There's a handful of things to do like catching bugs and fishing to donate to a museum but you really, really gotta just take it easy and play it in short bursts daily.

New one lets you landscape and customize the great outdoors so there's a big giant step for the series, but it's not something you play to see the ending of. You just kind of play it to relax and de-stress a lot of the time. I'd say give it a shot if you have a interest in it because it's way more absorbing than I'm making it sound.

https://twitter.com/MikeDrucker/status/1232524420037648384

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0UlNfDBWyI

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FirstAidKite posted:

that dragon ball z fusions game

According to my friend who is an expert on DBZ stuff, Fusions, like 99% of DBZ games, is not necessarily Good but it is at least a Fun one. YMMV if you're not a DBZ superfan tho.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Super Mario Bros 3 will always be the best Mario game. There's never been anything that's topped it in terms of sheer replayability imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Convex posted:

Super Mario Bros 3 will always be the best Mario game. There's never been anything that's topped it in terms of sheer replayability imo

weird way to say super mario galaxy and odyssey and world