Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Godholio posted:

Oh good, so for the lower risk ages, it's only about twice as lethal as the flu's overall rate.

The general working theory is that, as a weird virus we haven't seen before, active immune systems can fight it off better. Most diseases take out the young and elderly, but the young are generally disease-infected petri dishes to begin with. So, it's only lethal to the olds with their tired immune systems, or the immunocompromised.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Art of the deal indeed.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

The general working theory is that, as a weird virus we haven't seen before, active immune systems can fight it off better. Most diseases take out the young and elderly, but the young are generally disease-infected petri dishes to begin with. So, it's only lethal to the olds with their tired immune systems, or the immunocompromised.

Oh no the trump demographic what a terrible loss to this country

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

smertrioslol posted:

Oh no the trump demographic what a terrible loss to this country

Also "most of the senate" demographic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That Works posted:

Also all of SCOTUS, but tilted against the left.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That Works posted:

The senate has good healthcare. They’ll be fine. It’s the 1/4 of americans that are underinsured/uninsured that are hosed. We don’t know the full extent of the spread of COVID-19 in the USA because we’re too cheap to pay for the tests.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Good healthcare isn't going to help you when you're over 70. I think we've already had one senior cark it over here and we have great free health care*

*Life-threatening or disabling injuries only, otherwise welcome to the waiting list. No dental.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
When you can grind Benjamins into a paste and inject it into your bloodstream I think you’ll be fine regardless of age.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

facialimpediment posted:

The way I hear it, the most dangerous part of the coronavirus to people with functioning immune systems is an immune overreaction-- as in, past the 14 day mark in mild cases, immune cells start attacking affected lung cells and tearing poo poo up. There's been no comment on who this shows up in or why, but it's been cited a couple times already, this owing to the fact that it's a new virus and the immune system doesn't yet know what the gently caress.

Everyone seems to be in agreement about the fact that this is likely to come surging back when cold/flu season hits again, with a much higher infection rate than we're seeing right now, so, uh. I mean. We'll get a clear idea of what it looks like sooner or later.

As an aside, I'll be interested to see what the numbers look like here in the US. The air pollution in China is still hella grim, and smokers have fared far worse than non, as expected. But IIRC, that amount of smog exposure is roughly the equivalent of a pack a day habit anyway, so, in theory, the death toll shouldn't be quite as bad in places with decent air quality vs. not. But IANAD, and I'm really just spitballing on that one.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

smertrioslol posted:

When you can grind Benjamins into a paste and inject it into your bloodstream I think you’ll be fine regardless of age.

I enjoy South Park, I really do, but this isn't a good comparison. Unless you're literally Zuckerberg and can go to your own hospital, but that's about it. And that's not going to help a lot of the old timers out there with underlying conditions.

Russian roulette was a good comparison for the olds.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I enjoy South Park, I really do, but this isn't a good comparison. Unless you're literally Zuckerberg and can go to your own hospital, but that's about it. And that's not going to help a lot of the old timers out there with underlying conditions.

Russian roulette was a good comparison for the olds.

Today I join the ranks of people beaten to a joke by what I can only imagine is years by South Park

I should probably start watching it again

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

smertrioslol posted:

Today I join the ranks of people beaten to a joke by what I can only imagine is years by South Park

Don’t get enough “both sides are wrong the truth is in the middle” in your media already?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Eh, South Park isn't great, but at least they highlight both sides of an issue before Matt and Trey get too stoned to think of a reasonable conclusion. It's brain candy.

smertrioslol posted:

Over a decade. It was the episode where Cartman contracts HIV while having his tonsils removed, so he gives it to Kyle. When Kyle finds out he threatens to break Cartmans' xbox and they go to California to ask Magic Johnson how he beat AIDS. They make a vaccine out of the cash under Magics' mattress.

Haven't seen that episode in ages, but like everything else, the details of it just rot in the back of my mind. Good for trivia, I guess.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I live in Kirkland and it’s weird to see WaPo sending reporters to the Fred Meyers where I was grocery shopping yesterday. The pasta and ramen sections were nearly cleared out, but it wasn’t as bad as a snowstorm a few years ago.

Regarding Costco’s being swamped, apparently they were doing “day before Christmas” numbers but hadn’t planned so staff levels weren’t increased. Great company but not good at making quick decisions.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

Don’t get enough “both sides are wrong the truth is in the middle” in your media already?

Next you’re going to tell me I shouldn’t enjoy It’s Always Sunny too, right?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I live in Kirkland and it’s weird to see WaPo sending reporters to the Fred Meyers where I was grocery shopping yesterday. The pasta and ramen sections were nearly cleared out, but it wasn’t as bad as a snowstorm a few years ago.

Regarding Costco’s being swamped, apparently they were doing “day before Christmas” numbers but hadn’t planned so staff levels weren’t increased. Great company but not good at making quick decisions.

Worked retail supervisor for too long: good loving luck sour of the moment up staffing. "yeah, can you come in and work a hell shift on your day off? No???"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't much care for Always Sunny. I can watch a few episodes at best before the absurdity of it becomes so disconnected or cringing that I wind up changing the channel. I love everybody on the show, but they really shoot for detachment from reality by the second act.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Alaan posted:

Worked retail supervisor for too long: good loving luck sour of the moment up staffing. "yeah, can you come in and work a hell shift on your day off? No???"

Oh yeah understandable, especially if it’s just one or two stores, but with hordes stockpiling nationwide you’d think Costco would have issued some central guidance beyond “figure it out.” Especially regarding limiting sales of sanitizer or TP, so the first guy through the door can’t buy up pallets for resale.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I went to Costco on Friday. Still plenty of TP and bottled water left, but it was crowded and you could tell there’s a bit of panic buying going on. I’ll bet it’s only gotten more intense since then- all of my local CVS are out of hand sanitizer. Fortunately neither my wife nor I are on any critical prescription meds, but we do have plenty of extra of our dog’s prescription and plenty of food for him.

If you’re still stocking up, I’d recommend getting shelf-stable and comfort foods in addition to calorically dense foods over going full prepper and getting MREs and tons of water. I don’t think it’s likely that municipal utilities are going down because of this thing, and if they do, we’re probably at the point where most of us will be begging to be half-life war boys in our neighborhood Immortan’s army.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I went to Costco on Friday. Still plenty of TP and bottled water left, but it was crowded and you could tell there’s a bit of panic buying going on. I’ll bet it’s only gotten more intense since then- all of my local CVS are out of hand sanitizer. Fortunately neither my wife nor I are on any critical prescription meds, but we do have plenty of extra of our dog’s prescription and plenty of food for him.

If you’re still stocking up, I’d recommend getting shelf-stable and comfort foods in addition to calorically dense foods over going full prepper and getting MREs and tons of water. I don’t think it’s likely that municipal utilities are going down because of this thing, and if they do, we’re probably at the point where most of us will be begging to be half-life war boys in our neighborhood Immortan’s army.

Yeah that's my take on it as well as a former FEMA guy.

TBQH, the only thing we're stocking up on (and we normally do it every few months anyways) is pet food because some of it is special order.

Food wise, if I can't buy a can of campbell's soup in a month, I've got bigger things to worry about.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The only supplies I'm stocking up on are ammunition. :smugdon:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I live in walking distance from a grocery store that's easily overlooked. I'll be fine. There will be food on the shelves for a while to come even if this goes all Captain Tripps. The walmarts and costcos can run on empty for all I care.

I bought a 12 pack of TP last week, that should last me more than long enough for the shelves to be overflowing with rear end paper again.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah don’t really see any reason to think water or electricity is going to be shut off. That wouldn’t make much sense, and hasn’t been mentioned in China or Italy. That seems like more of a worry for weather related disasters.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Got plenty of arrows to procure long pig if needed.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

smertrioslol posted:

I’ve watched every single episode of Always Sunny and don’t remember a single episode that tried to both sides a current political issue seasoned with a pile of ~ironic~ anti-semitism.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

always sunny doesnt try to earnestly tell you their cast of shithead coward sociopath protagonists are morally superior

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The closest I can even think of Always Sunny getting political is when Dennis and Dee tried to scam welfare and ended up finding out it’s actually pretty hard to get a worthwhile amount of money out of the system without a serious need

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

They have two episodes (season 1 and season 9) on gun control.

People have been complaining about South Park being centrist for years and I’m not quite sure why. Stop getting your political talking points from a cartoon on Comedy Central.

Even Jon Stewart was smart enough to tell people not to take the Daily Show too serious, a show followed by sock puppets making crank calls.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 2, 2020

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Its Always Sunny is incredibly political, but they mostly agree with the views of this thread so it is totally cool and good and flies under the radar more because we share those beliefs.

They literally have an episode where a black child is gunned down by police for no reason. That's political.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Woofer posted:

Even Jon Stewart was smart enough to tell people not to take the Daily Show too serious, a show followed by sock puppets making crank calls.

I didnt know Fox and Friends aired after the Daily Show. :imunfunny:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

I’ve watched every single episode of Always Sunny and don’t remember a single episode that tried to both sides a current political issue seasoned with a pile of ~ironic~ anti-semitism.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=zDnsIt2VwoI

bengy81
May 8, 2010
My coronavirus prepping is less about dealing with the collapse of civilization, and more about how I'm probably gonna be inadvertantly exposed to it, and gonna have to stay in my house for the better part of a month.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Chichevache posted:

Its Always Sunny is incredibly political, but they mostly agree with the views of this thread so it is totally cool and good and flies under the radar more because we share those beliefs.

They literally have an episode where a black child is gunned down by police for no reason. That's political.

Its Only Sunny is only political because its a condensed sitcom reflection on the normal life of the lower class of employed Americans :ssh:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm old as hell but I do remember when south Park's brilliant takedown of Al Gore's crazy 'global warming' hysteria was a huge thing on right wing blogs and with mainstream conservatives. Also their puppet movie had a whole major plot point about how stupid it was to be against the Iraq war. They don't have that much influence now because no one under 30 watches them anymore but they sure seemed to be a cultural force way back

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

facialimpediment posted:

Right. What I'm saying is that even for the best-faring groups it's much more dangerous than the flu.

smertrioslol posted:

I'll print you a copy of GIP/CE's approved tv shows, comedians, politicians (this one updates regularly, so check back), and opinions.

Edit: V No, that's a human nature thing that predates South Park by millennia. Edit2: except the gaming part

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 2, 2020

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i earnestly believe south park huge 'everyone is stupid' message morphed into 'i'm the smart one' among a lot of people in my generation as they grew older and failed to learn better and became gamers that are now rising up

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M_Gargantua posted:

Its Only Sunny is only political because its a condensed sitcom reflection on the normal life of the lower class of employed Americans :ssh:

You lightweight just implied that all lower class americans are sociopathic alcoholics.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Chichevache posted:

You lightweight just implied that all lower class americans are sociopathic alcoholics.

I think if history continues on this trend then it’ll be more than just...

...the implication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Chichevache posted:

Look around.