Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I know people who brag about Memphis like it's a wonderful place with no problems and it's just like.... Nope. I've lived a lot of places, I'd rather go back to the army than Memphis.

I flew out of Memphis once for work, and of all the places I've traveled through that's the only one I remember hearing gunshots in broad daylight while filling up the rental car outside of the airport.

E: Chattanooga seemed cool but I was only there for a long weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Sorry guys, we're all wrong about this. Joe Biden is actually far too spicy for the coveted centrist Democrat vote, he needs some watering down!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/11/opinion/moderate-joe-biden-has-moved-way-to-left

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 11, 2020

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Quote is not edit

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

...a way to make Bidet look like poo poo when/if it happens.

I've been dealing with hauling compost and an infant all afternoon/evening following work, so thank you for this tired brain chuckle

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Quote is NOT edit dammit

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Blind Rasputin posted:

On another note entirely, can someone explain what’s happening with Iran/Iraq and the US? Since when are we bombing again?

Evergreen post

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

"God protects his own." some Evangelical shithead, probably

I'm getting so, so sick of people hand-waving poo poo away with thoughts and prayers. After the Nashville tornado there was a local news puff piece about finding a Bible in the wreckage of a home "without a single page torn!" as if Jesus himself protected it.

Yep. God sent the tornado, killed some people, ruined a lot of lives and property in order to deposit the good book in the wreckage and demonstrate his ... Power? Restraint? Uhhhh

E: I'm one of the weirdos who believes in God and I cannot tell you how stupid and lazy I find that mindset

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 13, 2020

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
My boss's boss just sent out an extremely wishy-washy email saying that employees who choose to do so can telework 2 out of 5 days per week. How in the gently caress is that supposed to help anything? 9/10 people in my office can do their entire job with their laptop and an internet connection. There's no reason not to send people home except he's institutionalized and if there aren't asses in seats then work must not be getting done!

I told my direct supervisor if the policy is still the same on Monday I'll be filing a formal grievance/complaint/whatever with HR and he's all for it.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Neat to see so many people going about their daily business wearing guns! I mean it used to be an occasional thing here in Richmond... Seeing a lot more of it now :smith:

I'm glad I have a lot of retired neighbors to keep an eye on things when I'm out, but I'm also scared for them. Especially the 91 y/o dude across the street and his wife. Making sure everyone has each other's number on our little chunk of the street

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Matty Matheson's chorizo lasagna is loving killer, especially with the salsa. Weirdly every scrap of chicken and beef was gone from the grocery store, but they still had pork sausage :shrug:

https://youtu.be/ETVjjbAoRxU

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

my motherinlaw grows all her tomatoes buy gathering the ones that start to grow out of the compost pile. seems to work for her

These are called volunteers and it works great for peppers and squash, too

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Woofer posted:

COVID-19 is having a measurable effect on the air quality of Southern California.

When we are doing this through the summer and the avg temperature goes down, is it still just part of the cycle of the planet?

I heard on NPR that net neutrality advocates are monitoring the huge upswing in data use now that so many folks are working from home and streaming entertainment. They said since most major carriers in the US have lifted data caps due to the crisis and the system hasn't melted down due to "congestion", basically the companies are full of poo poo. They're hoping to push to regulate internet service as a utility if they can eliminate the old arguments for having data caps/rationing service based on price.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Like the government, or the Trump organization lmao

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

Nah they've resorted to temporary clones at this point, they dissolve into a puddle of goop after stepping off the debate stage, and they defrost another one each time he needs to make a public appearance.

If Biden bites the dust due to CORONA-19 we're gonna have the DNC brew up some wildcard ticket like Clinton/Butts

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah there's a big-rear end problem up here in Ontario, people with all-season cottages have hosed off to the Muskokas and Kawarthas where there is (maybe) 1 ICU bed and 1 ventilator per hospital.
Most of these people tend to be on the older side, and are not following social-distancing rules.

WSJ had an article yesterday where vacation communities like Napa, Tahoe and beach towns are experiencing skyrocketing rental increases due to the rich fleeing NY/New England cities. Public officials are begging them not to. Because their hospitals and infrastructure can't handle an outbreak at peak season occupancy.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-coronavirus-hits-new-yorkers-wonder-if-they-should-leave-11584897686

The comments will make you want to invest in a guillotine

E:

quote:

Kenneth Johnson 17 hours ago

SUBSCRIBER

As the article says.this has always been a

strategy of the wealthy for any

widespread....and serious.....contagious

diseases. For centuries.

Just get away from it.

Come back later after it has run its course

among the 'less fortunate'.

My wife and I are isolating in our relatively secluded lake house as I write this.

Any other strategies?

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 23, 2020

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Milo and POTUS posted:

I was about to say it was a shockingly moral and coherent tweet

e:

Although this too

e2: Asian Americans skew republican? Maybe someone told him it'd jeopardize their votes they keep getting harassed by hee haws and chuds

Depends on the community, I'd imagine. IIRC the cooking show Ugly Delicious on Netflix has a lot of political content. They interviewed some Vietnamese immigrants in Houston in one episode and the host was a little shocked with the views he encountered. It matched some of my experience growing up in California in a city with a large Hmong community. A lot of those families are extremely FYGM for various reasons, which seems to favor republican policy on immigration.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Audi just sent their entire development home in addition to shutting plants down.

Holy loving poo poo.

WSJ is running articles about how difficult it is to rush-order a Peloton now, and how an elliptical bike might piss off your downstairs neighbors. You'd never know that industry is shutting down except for the single article on the front page about Number Go Up or Number Go Down

I'm required to read it for a class this semester. It's a repository for the most upperclass non-problems you've ever seen

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Quote is not edit

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

bird cooch posted:

Yeah except that line item veto was deemed unconstitutional.

Clarence Thomas was a big part of that.
Congress has the absolute power of the purse. So we're going to have to see what happens.

Also gently caress whoever wrote that tweet. What an obnoxious rear end in a top hat.

Yeah but
https://twitter.com/Arr/status/1012397416429940736

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

A Bad Poster posted:

If I was a medical worker, and I was not being provided the proper PPE for work, I wouldn't show up. Can't help more people if you're out sick or dead.

I'd gravitate towards this stance personally. In commercial diving it is ultimately up to the diver (not the boss) to make the call on sketchy conditions or unsafe developments. Why no, I do not want to put anyone in the water during a 50-yr flood event with a dynamic mooring set-up. I'm sorry you told the client we could do it, but that was bullshit.

E: I get some of the reasons why healthcare is different... It's an awful position to be put in as a frontline worker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Did President Deals just say the administration is holding back the ventilator supply?