Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Why is your election system so loving Byzantine

Longevity and intra party politics. What is described there isnt even a set of rules of laws mandated by our government, but rather rules meant to administrate and organization that collects and manipulates political power to its members ideals--a party.

Byzantium was the heir to the Roman Empire up until the 15th century meaning its beauracracy had a pretty continuous 18 centuries since first becoming a dominant power to convolute. America's had less time, but these things happen at a much faster pace these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

https://twitter.com/michaelroston/status/1235256002435481600

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Ataxerxes posted:

So you folks know the US army but have you seen what the Finnish one is like? Now you can!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1184250/Finnish_Army_Simulator/

It looks like someone got inspired by My Summer Car and made a conscript simulator.

I really do love the idea of military / war simulators that simulate the non-tactical aspects of war. I always thought an interesting game would be a King of Dragon Pass style adventure as a platoon commander or whatever trying to keep your soldiers on point and focused on the mission or training and not freaking out about being sent to a foreign warzone to die or going all warcrimes. Or an FTL game where instead of fighting bad guys, your objectives were to run a department while also considering the professional development and mental condition of your crew. Maybe go the whole game with one or two combats, including a potential blue-on-blue you have to defuse.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Notahippie posted:

The deep gnawing fear I have that this primary is feeding is that this is the majority of the Democratic party, to say nothing of America as a whole. I'm in my 40's and up to Obama literally every president elected in my life had a "gently caress the poor" plank in their platform. I don't think the median Democrat wants a progressive candidate, and I don't know what to do about it. I guess the options are organizing at the local level and letting the national level just continue to get worse and worse until people come around but that feels like giving up.

It's not giving up. Local politics is where real things happen, national politics is a circus.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Casimir Radon posted:

I love waking up to a circular firing squad.

I like the mental image this evokes.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Edit Oh damnit.

piL fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 8, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

poo poo I do that anyways.

Please stop pissing on my feet.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

dubzee posted:

A current event that doesn't suck. Richard Marx beast mode :kingsley:

I don't want anyone to leave here misreading the context. Richard Marx is correct. Myriad is both a noun and an adjective, and therefore it was wrong to correct him. Source: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/myriad

Proof this counts as current events:

Merriam-Webster, emphasis mine posted:

Recent criticism of the use of myriad as a noun, both in the plural form myriads and in the phrase a myriad of, seems to reflect a mistaken belief that the word was originally and is still properly only an adjective. As the entries here show, however, the noun is in fact the older form, dating to the 16th century. The noun myriad has appeared in the works of such writers as Milton (plural myriads) and Thoreau (a myriad of), and it continues to occur frequently in reputable English. There is no reason to avoid it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ElMaligno posted:

so i was gonna to my honeymoon in Washington state

i got a text from my command prohibiting travel to WA and CA.

Anyone have any hot tips of where to go in Oegon?????

The Idaho border

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Self quotes: https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavi...?outputType=amp

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Wow that look from the female doctor when he said he didn’t take any responsibility.

What are we talking about?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Tell them they're to man the crab fields. Then you'll be able to open a roadside crab stand. Soon you'll be rolling in crab bucks.

I know this is obviously not a real suggestion, but hiring people in exchange for rent is a legal minefield, no matter whom the terms favor.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

I really thought everyone preferred sandets here.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Sometimes you just need a Daddy to help remind you that everything will eventually be OK.

I heard some inspirational words from noted Daddy C.S. Lewis on the Daily the other day worth mentioning.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

Woah woah woah. Let's not get too carried away.

The movie explicitly did that multiple times in common English. The rest of the movie was just flashing lights to get people into the theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQm1rBqh53Y

The trailer convinced me, so I never watched it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
On the Bond-villain vaccine story, this has the stink of equivocation somewhere within transnational corporate law definitions being utilized as diplomatic leverage.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktla.c...9-pandemic/amp/

Fun is not authorized in Los Angeles.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Just watched Andrew Zimmern try to call cooks and servers first responders on some MSNBC thing and I'm checking the gently caress out for the night. I wish I was kidding but nope.

Thank you for your service (industry).

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
https://thesoufancenter.org/intelbrief-u-s-china-relations-deteriorate-over-fallout-from-coronavirus-covid-19/

quote:

Global health officials have pleaded with world leaders to refrain from associating the disease with a particular nation or ethnic group, driven in part by fears of a sharp rise in hate crimes around the world against Asians. Meanwhile, Chinese diplomats have been spreading conspiracy theories, false rumors, and deliberate disinformation that the United States was somehow responsible for the initial spread of the virus. One of the initial disinformation campaigns used by the CCP was that of ‘deflection.’ Namely, state-owned outlets like CCTV was disseminating a narrative to minimize the threat of the coronavirus by comparing it to the much deadlier ‘American flu.’ This campaign spread quickly on social media, with hashtags like FluBreaksOutinUSA [????????#] trending on Chinese social media platform Weibo after January 9. By January 27, the hashtag had over 471 million views. The posts included screengrabs from the U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC) webpage with Chinese translations explaining the map and numbers accompanied by statements such as ‘this is the most lethal flu in the past 40 years.’ Also, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Zhao Lijian took to Twitter to inform his more than 300,000 followers that ‘it might be the U.S. Army who brought the epidemic to Wuhan,’ followed by demands that Washington provide Beijing with an explanation.
Hey wait a minute...

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I had a coworker who was once frustrated about how Trump kept doing things wrong, but things would turn out well. Markets were doing fine, problems kept being kicked successfully down the road with the threat of major repercussions but the system would always rebound. Basically that Trump keeps Mr. Magooing his way to success.

I don't work with him any more and haven't had a chance to continue to discuss this theory, but I was thinking: what of the ill-advised trade war and increased decoupling of our economy with China's reduced the economic shock of this--would this shock be smaller if it had played out longer and our economies were further disentangled. Was he right?

What if delaying action ends up making it all worse like it appears to have? As a result, we take even more time off then we would otherwise, spend more time participating in social distance, more time without the luxuries we perceive as goods and the goods we perceive as needs. Do we become more comfortable with less goods, less unnecessary travel, more working from home, more engaging in technological efficiencies and less commuting? Through this, are we becoming more mentally prepared as a society to make the sacrifices necessary to slow climate change or survive its catastrophic effects?

Am I writing pointless, logically ungrounded and overly optimistic diatribes while procrastinating? Did somebody inject some poisonous meme in my head years ago?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Dont let those Luxoembourgers get you down Xi.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

bird food bathtub posted:

So, uhh, reading lots and lots of astonishingly bad figures about unemployment.

Bad. Like, really, really loving bad.

Official reported statistics are going to take time to compile. Estimate sources available right now are starting to use double-digit percentages.
(
https://www.statista.com/statistics/203365/projected-restaurant-industry-employment-in-the-us-since-2001/
+
https://www.aspeninstitute.org/blog-posts/industry-at-a-glance-the-future-of-retail/
)

/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/269959/employment-in-the-united-states/

D:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_State_Board_of_Education_v._Barnette

Justice Robert H. Jackson posted:

Government of limited power need not be anemic government. Assurance that rights are secure tends to diminish fear and jealousy of strong government, and, by making us feel safe to live under it, makes for its better support. Without promise of a limiting Bill of Rights, it is doubtful if our Constitution could have mustered enough strength to enable its ratification. To enforce those rights today is not to choose weak government over strong government. It is only to adhere as a means of strength to individual freedom of mind in preference to officially disciplined uniformity for which history indicates a disappointing and disastrous end.

piL fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 21, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

orange juche posted:

they dissolve into a puddle of goop after stepping off the debate stage

After?

Re: no yeast: let them eat crepes!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I'm eating a lot healthier thanks to COVID-19. Cooking almost all of my meals, not able to just go to a restaurant or a bar to relax or socialize and overeat. Maybe I should be a shut-in every March.

Music talk: I like New Music Friday on NPR.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Uh I'm a (((globalist "word that cannot be typed out but begins with a c and ends with the last three letters of a waterfowl that goes quack"))) please get your terminology right

I believe the bird you're referring to is a Mallard, you card.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Bored As gently caress posted:

Good. Anyone who comes out and says "its okay if 1-8 million people need to die because NUMBER HAS TO GO UP AND THE ECONOMY IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE WORLD," seriously needs to die.

I need more context before I feel as comfortable as other people do despising a dead guy. Money/policy nerds debating the question, "At what point is the economy more important than illness related deaths" is a worthwhile conversation since economic woes leads to wars and deaths and so on. If by economy, you mean my 401K, sure, but when economic nerds say economy that includes making food, building shelter, providing electricity and running water, and so on.

Aggressively arguing for a point without a lot of evidence would be morally reprehensible, but not conversing about at what point you can expect civil wars, food shortages, housing crises, and new mass migrations is probably irresponsible.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This loving month feels like it's been going on for a month. When the gently caress is it over?

Pil's log, 65th of March 2020: it doesn't stop. I feel that even if I make it out of this month with my life, I may not leave with my soul.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ASAPI posted:

200+ new post in the CE thread since yesterday? What happened? Oh, just politics...

That's newsworthy; politics is just war by fewer means.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Coronavirus is going to wreck havoc in Aspen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
How long until we build a new Los Alamos/Oak Ridge/Hanford/Black Mesa that screens, isolates, and quarantines all inbound personnel only instead of making weapons, it's for basic industry and manufacturing?