Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/cmarinucci/status/1234252611546570752

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah it's gotta be this. They saw the polls in California with every candidate besides Bernie below viability, which would have sealed it for him. Now with Butt out, they'll all be above the threshold. Bernie will still win a bunch of states, but it won't be a huge blowout like folks were hoping.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're finally forming the moderate voltron :ohdear:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI8dk7cbin8

:discourse:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Super Tuesday is the first day of Infrastructure Week

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Agreed 100%. I dont want Biden, but almost anything is preferable to a legitimate fascist.

Biden is a mush brained idiot who is going to hand the White House to that legitimate fascist on a silver platter in 2024.

Assuming he even wins the general of course.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chichevache posted:

So you're going to vote for Trump so we can try and elect Bernie in 2024?

gently caress off with this poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If Biden gets the nomination and loses the election, whoever wrote the Diamond Joe articles needs to be put on trial.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I mean you can just not cast a vote for the President while still voting in down ballot races

Yeah, people acting like the presidency is the end-all be-all of politics are weird.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The Obama/Biden administration started the family separation policy. They gave massive handouts to wallstreet and the insurance industry. Biden isn’t going to institute any kind of universal healthcare or other reform badly needed by the nation. A Biden presidency won’t be a rubber stamp like Trump, but huge parts of it will remain as they are today. A biden presidency will see cuts to social programs and the continued loving of the poor to billionaire’s benefit.

The worst part about a Biden presidency is that it would all be under the guise of being """liberal""", so when that poo poo fails to do anything meaningful for lower class Americans, the backlash against anything left of Reagan will be even worse.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

good lord people

The Obama administration wasn't great, and quite lovely in a lot of ways, but there are orders of magnitude of difference between Trump's administration and Obama's, as well as their legislative and executive priorities.

I mean for gently caress's sake, right now we are living through a pandemic crisis where a lot of people are going to be infected and die because Trump shut down the pandemic response team started up by Obama.

And let's not forget Trump using the Antiquities Act to try and reduce the size of Bears Ears and Grand Staircase to open them up to drilling, monuments Obama himself expanded.

And there's pardons, which Trump used to help war criminals, politicians, and bankers, as opposed to Obama pardoning a huge number of people with drug offenses.

Healthcare I shouldn't even need to get into—because as lacking as Obamacare is, it's still helped a huge number of people and is something Biden wants to expand, whereas Trump has flat-out tried to get rid of it.

LGBT rights, which the Obama administration expanded and protected, and Trump has tried to shred and reduce (Like the ban on trans servicepeople)

And even if their efforts were far, far less than what was needed, the Obama administration at least tried to address climate change, which the Trump Administration has not only ignored but outright accelerated.

And this isn't even getting into the hordes of judges and political appointees who have spent their entire time in government trying to tear down the system from the inside.

Biden isn't great, and I'd rather vote for Sanders. On climate change especially, he's woefully short. But Biden is better, far better, than the motherfucker who's in office right now who's trying to tear down every advancement this country has made since 1916. Let's not loving forget that.

Biden has basically said on many occasions that he intends to be a Republican in all but name. Including literally saying that he might choose a Republican VP.

All that a Biden presidency would do is put the mask back on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BigDave posted:

Biden/McConnell 2020

If I was a betting man I would legit put money on Biden/Romney.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not gonna say that Biden will be definitely and unequivocally worse than Trump, but there is still a lot of uncertainty on a lot of issues, and that uncertainty is what scares me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

gently caress, I almost want to spoil my vote and just vote for her, just because.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1235763948630298626

Plus:

https://twitter.com/nick_ramsey/status/1235762709859315712

https://twitter.com/jessbidgood/status/1235755480712130560

She's a god drat moron, OP.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If she actually cared about the progressive policies that she claimed to support she would swallow her pride and endorse the candidate who supports literally all of them. But she can't. It's all about her.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Or, you know, she thinks there's a good chance that Sanders might lose, doesn't think her endorsement would boost him far enough to definitively win, and doesn't want to jeopardize any influence or input she might have in a potential Biden administration.

So she's a coward too, got it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The centrist camp wants to deny the poor medical coverage, keep wages stagnant, keep people figuratively drowning in student debt, and make people literally drown due to climate change, but at least they're not dirtbags.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't understand this part personally. He will have as much power as Electing Centrist McStrawMan -D New York- until/unless the senate flips, because unless a bill is a total give away in some shape or form the Republicans aren't gonna allow anything through in a bid to race to the bottom.

Exactly. If you think that Joe Biden has a better chance of getting lukewarm liberal policies through the Mitch McConnell's Senate, you haven't been paying attention. The right is already calling Biden a godless communist.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Old Boot posted:

I haven't seen a single person in this thread argue that Biden would have a better chance.

bird cooch posted:

A lot of people either just don't think that he can actually do the things he says

Is that not the implication here?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Literally every state that Biden has won so far is going to vote for Trump in the general, except like maybe Virginia. The current state of the primary is an incredibly bad indicator of how the general will play out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd rather stick my dick in a hornet nest than in a blender, but that doesn't mean that either option is good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bird cooch posted:

Welcome to American politics?

Well I tried saying that I don't want to stick my dick into anything painful, and I got a bunch of idiots screaming at me for not participating in democracy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr Crustacean posted:

Dude I don't even have platinum. Please send some screenshots of any reports. like seriously, I don't believe this

If you're going to say that then I want you or an admin to send some screenshots and post any them of any reports I have made right now.

I am absolutely emphatic about this, I haven't posted anything or been making any reports for the last few months since I am a doctor working this current coronavirus outbreak. This is absolute 100% false.

Edit:
I am a dumbass.

You just made my day, thank you for this :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/Surgeon_General/status/1236783235293741065

Employers, could you pretty please with sugar on top give your employees paid sick leave to help slow down this deadly epidemic? Or don't, that's fine too, nbd.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

On the bright side, I've convinced my parents to be Bernie supporters, mainly just because they agree that Biden is hot garbage.

Unfortunately we're all in CO so it doesn't matter. Extremely cool nomination system :thumbsup:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

After the Dems gently caress this up I just hope their party loving dies and we can get a real progressive one :/

I have confidence in the first half of your sentence, not so much the last half.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

Has there been an outbreak on this level before in the US? I'm 29 and can't remember anything like this. The closest I can think of was swine flu from...10 years ago?

Edit: Not the thread I meant to post this in, but I think I'll get just as good an answer here as anywhere else.

The 1977 Russian flu was pretty big. Russian flu is kind of the opposite of Covid19 though because it almost entirely affected young people.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/jonbernhardt/status/1237206324506554368

Biden's got the connections to get things done, like stopping M4A in its tracks

The Democrats are going to nominate a Republican president :tif:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If Donald Trump budges even an inch to the left on any issue, he will win in a landslide. That's the danger of centrism.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

God dammit, I'm sorry but I'm getting loving sick of this line of argument, A) because he won't and B) because he wouldn't.

For gently caress's sake, Trump won in 2016 in large part because he was a cipher people could project himself on. Since he didn't have a record, everything was speculative, and out of all the insane things that came out of his mouth people could latch on to what they liked and ignore the rest as "rhetoric," i.e. "Well, he said he'd built lots of infrastructure, which I like, and I'm sure he didn't really mean he'd ban all muslims." And since he was running against a candidate that not a lot of people were super jazzed about and everybody thought would win, tons of people stayed home or voted third party—ultimately leading to an extremely narrow win that boiled down to less than 1.5% of the vote across three states.

Trump going into 2020 is an extremely weak candidate in many ways, and that's because he has a record. He's got four years of budgets proposing to cut social security and medicare and gut national parks. He's stolen money from the military to build his wall while nearly getting us into war with Iran. He's badly mishandled an ongoing pandemic and the stock market is more volatile than ever. Our highways and bridges are crumbling while corporations spend billions on stock buybacks funded by cut taxes, and the deficit has completely exploded. The previous Republican candidate for President voted to impeach him, and he only remains in office due to Republican senators too scared or corrupt to get rid of him. There are a billion things that he can be attacked on through the election into November, all things he actively did or had done under his watch, all of which can be easily contrasted to the relative stability and security of the Obama administration, of which Joe Biden was a centerpiece. Assuming that Trump is just going to waltz away with the election is loving stupid and ignores literally every goddamn thing that's happened in the past four years, let alone why he won in 2016.

Like,

Why would the GOP do this? Their entire raison d'etre is to make money for themselves and their donors, which M4A (Or even Biden's plan!) would very explicitly not do. And even if they decided to, you know, not be Republicans, there's still all the other loving awful disruptive poo poo they've done in the past four years!

Bernie Sanders is a good man and a good politician with good ideas who deserves a shot at the White House and to make America the country it needs to be. He is not a savior, and is not magically the only person who can beat Trump. Believing he is is a great way to leap down into some insane rabbit holes and end up despondent if he fails to secure the nomination, and ignores the very real challenges he'd face in the general.

You're right, everyone can obviously see that Trump is bad, so there's no way he'll ever get elected. I mean reelected.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Like yeah, I really hope you're right that he would never do something like that, but the fact that the Democrats are even giving him the opportunity is loving terrifying.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

ah yes, thank you for carefully reading and responding to the specific point I was making on how the criticisms of trump in 2020 are fundamentally different from 2016, so glad to have this debate with you

:nallears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't think he's unstoppable. But I do think that the Dems are throwing away literally every tool they could use to stop him.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

People are freaking out about it enough as it is, maybe don't spread unfounded rumors?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

On the bright side, the attempts to get peopled hyped for Biden over then next 8 months are going to be hilariously awful.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I bet they'll hire some internet memelords to try to turn his dementia ramblings into "haha that's so funny, we all love Uncle Joe :shobon:" type poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Cheeto Benito thanks you for your support.

I can't wait for four more years of people thinking that calling Trump a silly name is a massive own.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm just going to follow the example of my number two choice, Elizabeth Warren, and say that I don't owe anybody my vote.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I get what you're going for but you should still vote for Biden because asking Ruth Bader Ginsburg to stay alive and on the Supreme Count for another five years is... not a great plan.

a) There's no guarantee that he wouldn't replace her with a conservative judge. Not saying he definitely will, but there's a lot of ambiguity with Biden being the "we can still work with the right" candidate.
b) Even if he replaced her with the ghost of Karl Marx, the court would still be majority conservative. We need to pack the court to unfuck it, and lol if you think Biden would ever do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh yeah and don't forget that talking about SC replacements is completely pointless as long as the GOP controls the Senate.