Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Stuff that’s happening:

Trump has put VP Mike Pence in charge of the US response to the coronavirus sweeping the globe, which means we can look forward to hearing about how Pence only got coffee for the campaign and was never really involved in anything important in a couple of months when global air travel is shut down, bulldozers are digging mass graves for the virus’ victims at Mar a Lago, and Madagascar has closed its ports. Unless of course the CDC finds that coronavirus turns people gay, in which case Pence will direct the full fury of the US government in an effort not seen since the Manhattan Project.

A bunch of Democrats are still running for President, but it’s all for naught now that Marianne Williamson and her big crystal energy are gone.

We will finally have peace in Afghanistan thanks to the bigliest and bestest deal ever. The troops are coming home, soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Immanentized posted:

As many of us expected, the bills are coming for the original group of wuhan evacuees. The general reaction seems to be "wtf, I thought this was paid for?"
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/upshot/coronavirus-surprise-medical-bills.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Wasn’t this the guy who was coughing on Fox News, and was later alleged to be a grifter?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I’m increasingly convinced the Hard Times has overtaken the Onion in quality satire, and that also the Hard Times isn’t satire anymore.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/1233933834670002177

https://twitter.com/davidcayj/status/1234222655412359172

These seem like important things that could be a problem sooner rather than later.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I went to Costco on Friday. Still plenty of TP and bottled water left, but it was crowded and you could tell there’s a bit of panic buying going on. I’ll bet it’s only gotten more intense since then- all of my local CVS are out of hand sanitizer. Fortunately neither my wife nor I are on any critical prescription meds, but we do have plenty of extra of our dog’s prescription and plenty of food for him.

If you’re still stocking up, I’d recommend getting shelf-stable and comfort foods in addition to calorically dense foods over going full prepper and getting MREs and tons of water. I don’t think it’s likely that municipal utilities are going down because of this thing, and if they do, we’re probably at the point where most of us will be begging to be half-life war boys in our neighborhood Immortan’s army.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

I’ve watched every single episode of Always Sunny and don’t remember a single episode that tried to both sides a current political issue seasoned with a pile of ~ironic~ anti-semitism.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=zDnsIt2VwoI

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Don’t worry about vaccine availability, our plutocrats are already itching to jump the line
https://mobile.twitter.com/business/status/1234522880773361664

Billionaires get guillotines; everyone else gets vaccines.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Man, I might be biased, but I look at those two Gentle Leaders and I think, “Man, they’ve got my vote.”

Although I have to say I am slightly troubled by the VP candidate’s statements on the need for a massive squirrel eradication program and his desire to lead it.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Checked in with my friends. They had a tornado touch down two blocks from them but they’re ok with no damage to their home.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Reminder: gently caress Bloomberg

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1234901129621835777

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Global News posted a drone flyover of the damage in Nashville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO1ERvVxDHo

Counterpoint: drive-by truckers. Ben Nichols. Benjamin Tod. Love me some sad rear end street band music.

Old country rules too, but there's still good music being made.

Man, maybe I need to give it a better listen, but I just couldn’t get into DBT’s newest album. Donald Trump really did break Patterson Hood’s brain.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

This poo poo sucks for sure but gently caress it, down ballots are a thing and I will gladly bust my rear end there. And Bloomberg eating poo poo is a solid plus.

Basically, anyone but Bloomberg or Tulsi getting the nom and I'll pull the lever for them. I'm not giving Trump another four years without a loving fight and neither should any of you.

https://twitter.com/ositanwanevu/status/1235003059543171072

i know it’s from American Samoa but this is my own personal hell ticket right here.

I’m happy to see Bloomberg loving crater and hope he spends the rest of his days (or at least his money) on doing good. If Biden gets the nomination, I hope he defeats Trump. In whatever scenario, I hope ascendant AOC types gut and hollow out the DNC so that actual progressives can fill it back up.

It’s that or I’m never voting Democrat again. I’ll never be a Republican or Libertarian and I can’t take the Green Party seriously anymore, but I don’t think I could vote for anyone affiliated with a party apparatus that lost to Donald loving Trump twice.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Warren is also reassessing the state of her campaign today.

I really hope she just doesn’t endorse Biden but I think the writing is on the wall- fall in line with the DNC or get hosed.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Woofer posted:

Or just delete Facebook and follow dogs and cats on Instagram.

This is the correct answer.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Please please please endorse Bernie

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

piL posted:

It's not giving up. Local politics is where real things happen, national politics is a circus.

My neighborhood is up in arms about a privately run halfway house that’s funded by charities expanding, yet I’ll bet even the most vociferous critics would talk about ending the prison-industrial complex.

NIMBY and FYGM go hand in hand.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Three imported COVID cases in MD :getin:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

Not sure where you are but if its DC or Nova all 3 cases are in Montgomery County so probably

Oooh yeah, the MoCo suburbanites at my work are going to freak the gently caress out over this.

Once schools close, that’s the cue that all hell is breaking loose.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I think that at it this point we’re past the point of being able to contain COVID. The long incubation period, multiple methods of transmission, and interconnected nature of the world makes it all but impossible at this point. Smarter money would be on a good messaging campaign that says “for most people, COVID will be a cold, but please stay home if you’re feeling ill for whatever reason, and call a doctor if you’re experiencing these severe symptoms. If you belong to these high risk categories, then come to a hospital for testing.”

I feel like any other response is going to push up on being ineffective or prompting more panic. Of course, with this administration, the response is going to be horribly bungled so you may as well do your neighbors a favor and go to sleep wrapped in a tarp every night.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I haven't heard of any asian folks getting jumped yet but I know it's a matter of time.

Someone crossed the street when they saw my Japanese-American wife walking in their direction yesterday. If I’m out in public with her and someone throws shade, I’m gonna make it a point to cough in their face.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I donated $50 to Bernie last night. :feelsgood:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

DC has its first presumptive case of coronavirus. Mayor is supposed to give a press conference soon.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/dc-has-first-presumptive-coronavirus-case/2234068/

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Frankly that poster has been contributing nothing for a long time beyond meaninglessly stirring up drama; ban + 30 would be reasonable.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

From memory some dude who hadn't even been part of the tshirt buy melted down so hard in a different forum that he got banned

:mcnally: indeed

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784826&perpage=40&pagenumber=427#post486469995

quote:

Just so I understand, a Goon stole over $1,000 from other Goons, and some people - including posters in this very thread - are praising this.

I hope someone ratted him out to Paypal.

quote:

Lol, OK, guys. The dude sold a lot of items to a lot of people, then didn’t deliver, but it’s OK because rules lawyering and crying emoticons, and also some people are laughing about it. Enjoy it, I guess. If he now ships the shirts everyone actually paid for, this becomes an epic prank. Otherwise, he’s just a douche who took money from people and didn’t deliver what he promised.

quote:

Lol. Almost 2,000 posts on this account, and maybe a dozen have involved any kind of drama or dust-up. You can’t think of a single thing I’ve ever said without stalking my history. You’re just a coward who wanted to get in some licks because you feel safe in a crowd.

My entire thesis was, “It’s a dick move to take $1,000 dollars from people, and not deliver what you promised,” and half a dozen goons lost their loving minds racing to their keyboards to poo poo on me for it. Lol, yeah. I’m the problem, here.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Don't cruises have on board morgues

They at least have what passes for decent medical facilities and a morgue that can hold less than 10 bodies. In case of death, pretty sure the protocol is to offload the remains at the next port of call.

My dad had a gig working as the ship’s doctor for a big cruise line for the first few years of his retirement. The worst he had to deal with was norovirus sweeping a ship and the surprisingly high number of elderly people who go on cruises just to kill themselves.

I’m really glad he’s not doing this now.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

What TF said, also more than a few people who take an oopsy dose of prescription medication and die overnight.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/1237098585965170689

Israel is having all arrivals via air self-quarantine for 14 days. This is the first restriction of such magnitude that I'm aware of.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Uh JFC the entire country of Italy is now under quarantine.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

MotherFUCKER this is more self-feliating then the urban legend about Marlyan Manson.

And who do you think pioneered the surgical techniques that allowed Marilyn Manson to remove two of his ribs so he could blow himself?

That’s right- boomers.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

In a city where average response times to priority calls was an hour in 2018 Biden is going Full Lib and telling people all they need is their huntin’ shotgun

And the “Joe Biden Shotgun Defense” failed pretty miserably for a dude who tried it, although it sounds like there were other issues at play here.

https://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/joe-biden-defense-gun-case-jeffrey-barton-116178

quote:

The vice president said he told his wife the same thing: “I said, ‘Jill, if there’s ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, put that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house.’” (Biden lives in the official vice presidential residence on the grounds of the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C., which is guarded by the Secret Service.)

“I promise you whoever’s coming in is not gonna,” Biden said, adding later that he had two shotguns at home and wouldn’t dream of giving them up.

Jeffrey Barton, a 53-year-old from Clark County, Washington, did exactly that when he caught intruders in his vehicle at 3 a.m. in July of last year. He walked over, punched one of them in the face and fired three shots in the air to scare them.

Later, Barton told reporters, “I did what Joe Biden told me to do. I went outside and fired my shotgun in the air.”

Barton was originally charged with a misdemeanor for illegally discharging a firearm, but in August prosecutors dismissed that charge and instead leveled one of obstructing a police officer.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/CANCEL_SAM/status/1237203693000364032?s=20

It’s going to be a long, lovely stretch to the election if anyone criticizing Biden can be handwaved away as a Trump supporter or Bernie Bro.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Old Boot posted:

You vote for the sake of people who are not white and not men, hth

Even ironyposting 'man I'll just stay home' is wrecking my blood pressure, esp. with SCOTUS looking the way it is.

It’s ok, it’s an election year. If RBG gets the wrong kind of Corona from the bar, Mitch McConnell will magnanimously allow the winner of the election to choose the next SCOTUS justice.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Cheeto Benito thanks you for your support.

The counterpoint to this is not all votes are created equal. For those of us not in swing states, our votes are relatively meaningless. I’ve only lived in solid Democratic states that are very, very unlikely to vote anything but blue my entire voting life, so my individual vote has had less impact than a single vote in PA, MI, or WI. my primaries have always occurred when the nomination has all but been locked up, so my ability to influence the Democratic Party is minimal, whereas some Iowa caucus-goer is regarded as some sort of sacred cow to be captured.

If you live in some deep blue or red stronghold and you’re apathetic about the nominee, gently caress if, leave president blank and focus intently on everything down ballot.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

All signs are starting to point to no Goonysburg :(

If it makes you feel any better, my wife and I are postponing our honeymoon by at least six months.

Fuckin’ coronavirus.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Got off the phone with a VA doc. They do not have the ability to test me unless I’m hospitalized.

They told me to stay home and drink a lot of fluids. I have an inhaler and other meds in the mail to me. The doc first suggested I go to the pharmacy to pick them up until I pointed out that’s a bad idea.

So I’m stuck waiting to see if I get better over the next few weeks or will get hospitalized if I feel worse.

Good luck and feel better dude. Just to echo- don’t go to the hospital unless absolutely necessary, I.e. you have a high fever that’s not going away or significant difficulty breathing. I dunno your medical history but if you don’t have any other complicating factors then you’re in all likelihood going to be OK.

Edit: I’m traveling this weekend because it may be the last chance I get to see my 95 year old grandfather, even if I have to stay six feet away from him and not so much as give him a hug. Definitely quite a few open seats on my first flight and traffic through O’Hare definitely seems lower than the last time I came through. I’m well armed with hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes and I’m not touching anything.

Woofer posted:

The girl I share a small office with took three days off last week. She was coughing all week this week and it was getting progressively worse. She asked if she could go home and telework, and was told not without a doctor's note.

She went to the doctor and has a low grade fever and today she feels even worse.

Not saying it's corona, mostly just commenting on how loving how loving dumb letting capitalism run everything is.

Your management is full of loving idiots. My supervisor is normally pretty stingy with WFH but all of our usual restrictions on it are now waived.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 12, 2020

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Man, allergy season- which is already predicted to be severe on account of the mild winter much of the lower 48 experienced- is going to be all kinds of fun with everyone freaking out over others coughing and sneezing.

May as well just WFH until June at this point.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I hope their protective details all turn on them at once.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm getting 9/11 vibes from all of this. As in the level of paranoia and disinformation reminds me of the months after 9/11.

I have some friends who live in NY but are in LA right now freaking out that NYC is about to be put under quarantine and they won’t be able to get home. Apparently there’s some fake news spreading on social media.

It’s a good thing we have competent, stable leadership doing their best to keep the panic rat at bay. :smithicide:

Edit: NYC quarantine rumors bad enough that DiBlasio had to say something about it

https://twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1238228404761178112

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 12, 2020

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Holy loving poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I have a lot of elderly residents in my condo building. I just emailed some of the younger neighbors to discuss how we can best support them during this time, like doing their grocery shopping or picking up prescriptions for them.

Also, my work just announced that we’re going full WFH indefinitely. Today was a full remote work exercise that I suspect was scheduled to make sure everyone brought home their laptops and other materials.