Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
As many of us expected, the bills are coming for the original group of wuhan evacuees. The general reaction seems to be "wtf, I thought this was paid for?"
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/upshot/coronavirus-surprise-medical-bills.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
President Germophobe is shook, and cancelled his big flashy signing trip to the CDC at the last minute.
I'm wondering if he either
a) has been told that the infection rate is much higher than is being let on
b) thinks that they store diseases at the CDC
c) He is worried that Pence is going to get him sick.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/trump-cancels-plan-to-sign-coronavirus-bill-at-cdc-in-atlanta.html

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Holy poo poo they're blocking all European inbound travel for 30 days.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
They're apparently including import cargo as part of the ban, which is just incredibly stupid.

e: Apparently this is the product of noted Brain Geniuses Miller and Kush-daddy

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

This guy's a loving oncologist, not an emergency response planner. His Bio and services read well, but he's not in a position, and never really has been to make this kind of decisions and offer this sort of advice.

I'd stick to whatever Fauci's saying rather than this dude whose credentials include "Worked with the W.H.O. in a leadership role". He's also been pretty cozy with the Trump administration and comes out to directly attack Fauci in his brief.

e: Makary is also a rather hardcore self-promoter in the vein of Dr. Oz, he has some legit advancement in specific surgical techniques to help with pancreatic cancer IIRC, but most of his stuff comes from elected or appointed roles that are outside his area of practice and expertise. He's a talking head that either self-inserts or is invited to provide op-eds to friendly and receptive news outlets.

e2: Dude is a Fox Business type of doctor, most known for "teaching businesses and individuals on how to lower their medical costs through a grass-roots movement". Anything he says, I'd take with a grain of salt.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 13, 2020

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
This press conference hella pissing me off.
"We took over an obsolete system and broke it down, intentionally, and no, the blame doesn't stop at me, we were dealing with a huge infected country, China."

Edit;

"Does the buck stop with you Mr. President?"

"Yeah normally, but if you look back to 2008, 2011, you see things that... this has never happened. We had a smaller system meant for a much different purpose so we broke it down..."

Utter braincheese

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
He's talking about mayyybbbee postponing the election. This is is, strap in!

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

EBB posted:

from my mailbox today

Is it normal to have something like this have the president's name on it? I'd sooner trust a "Directions from the CDC" document than anything that had the president's name on it. I know this is the era of bullshit Trump narcissism, but jesus christ this ineptitude must be triggering some reptilian self-preservation instinct in his handlers.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 23, 2020

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

My wife's entire industry is nuked by the pandemic. Hairstylists/ barbers, nail techs, massage therapists, aestheticians, etc are all unable to work, but not necessarily out of a job. The Nebraska licensing board basically directed them all to file unemployment for the duration of the state of emergency. Pretty rich because personal services are always touted as "recession proof" careers.

I wonder how high that number will get, seeing as how the last decade has seen the service industry outright explode in job numbers.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I keep seeing how "Oh, Spain, Italy have higher Coronavirus deaths than China has, and the US has more cases overall" from numerous media outlets. One thing in particular that is really striking to me is that they seem to be taking China's metrics at face value, especially the new caseload reports. Yesterday, there were only 55 new reported cases with 54 of those being "imported".

Now, as someone who deals in risks and metrics every day, this seems like utter bullshit, and statistically unlikely, especially for a country where the disease should be still spreading, albeit at a low rate. Another thing bugging me is a report that after Spain bought some testing kits from a Chinese pharmaceutical company, they realized the kits had a high rate of false negatives, and inconclusive positives, pointing towards further issues with testing and reporting over there.

My issue is, is there any source that can find some sort of nominal middle ground between the Tucker Carlson ethnofascist bullshit and the breathless HuffPo stuff that can reasonably cover this sort of thing? I really think that there's a lot of harm pointing to China as some sort of universally effective responder to the virus, while at the same time, finger-wagging at them as the ultimate blame holder is equally as harmful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Gross.

Mr. Trump, who has faced a growing outcry from state, local and health officials around the nation that they will soon face critical shortages of the mechanical ventilators needed for coronavirus patients unable to breathe on their own, played down the need for ventilators in an interview Thursday night with Sean Hannity, the Fox News host.

“I don’t believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators,” Mr. Trump said, in a reference to New York, where Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo has made pointed appeals for federal help in obtaining them. “You go into major hospitals sometimes, and they’ll have two ventilators. And now all of a sudden they’re saying, ‘Can we order 30,000 ventilators?’ ”