Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

LingcodKilla posted:

I don’t like either men at all.

But gently caress having to read Trumps drivel. The loving president of the United States tweeting like a elementary school bully.

Say what you will about Mike Bloomberg, but at least he speaks coherently and can walk a straight line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Just left the Eden Prairie Costco, they sold out of bottled water, antiseptic wipes, and bleach.

THIS IS SUBURBAN TWIN CITIES, WE'RE GONNA BE FINE YOU PANICKY MOTHERFUCKERS

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Don Dongington posted:

Pete will get sec state in the Biden cabinet and do an unfathomably bad job of it, war crimes and all, before running against Biden in the 2024 primary, and becoming the front runner in 2028 on a platform of 'Its My Turn Now'.

Nah, he needs to go home to the Company and become the Deputy Director (Intelligence).

Then he can serve as a door gunner on a transport chopper while trying to extract a paramilitary team from Columbia.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Defenestrategy posted:

Is this actually a thing where rich people actually hate each other and just marry off to each other for status' sake. That seems hilarious.

Yes and sometimes they play sexy murder games.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

So he's confirmed for Fox News then.

In lighter news

https://twitter.com/DJJudd/status/1161353495775272960

:cursed:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Welp

The Ministry of Health called a press conference after enquiries from RNZ's Checkpoint about a positive Covid-19 case on Auckland's North Shore.

Two guesses where I live.

Christchurch?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Just voted for Bernie in Minnesota :feelsgood:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bored As gently caress posted:

Christ. Our country is truly hosed. Even if we get Biden, it'll just be less lovely, but still lovely. No green new deal. No dealing with climate change as an existential threat. It'll be four years of Biden reaching across the aisle while the GOP just throws poo poo all over him and obstructs everything. He's completely out of touch.

This isn't the GOP of the 80s or 90s where poo poo could kind-of, sort-of get done while only loving over the poors and minorities a little less than the GOP would like. The fact that he spent 8 years as VP, head of the loving Senate when McConnell obstructed literally everything, and STILL doesn't get it, shows how out of touch he is.

Climate apocalypse 2020.

Biden probably still thinks that Mitch McConnell is a good guy deep down.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Biden is the guy who sees the primary beneficiary of public policy as upper class white people in the suburbs, and screw anyone else.

Keep the scary brown people away from our property values, let me keep my job as vice president of a HMO, help me send my two kids to a Ivy League school while keeping out the riffraf, make politics go back to the way it was in the first 4 seasons of the West Wing.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FrozenVent posted:

A lot of this makes more sense if you think of the West Wing generation vs House of Cards Veep generation.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fister Roboto posted:

Biden has basically said on many occasions that he intends to be a Republican in all but name. Including literally saying that he might choose a Republican VP.

All that a Biden presidency would do is put the mask back on.

Biden/McConnell 2020

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Woofer posted:

Trump is gonna run in 2024.

Somehow.

Some way.

"A Democrat ran for a third term, that means Trump can! It's only fair!" - Hannity in 2024.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Current event: I've been watching Paradise PD on Netflix because I hate myself, and they show Tucker Carlson claiming that gypsies are a threat to America.

They didn't make it up: https://youtu.be/QBBRgvXXPFg

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Old Boot posted:

Not that I mind dunking on Trump, but is there any actual substance to the stimulant thing? Because last I checked the guy has been a Noted Teetotaler, even by people who both know and absolutely loathe him.
https://twitter.com/JRehling/status/1180505950613958658

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Casimir Radon posted:

TicTacs for when he attempts to force his flabby rear end on women.
British Sudafed to get high.
Swiss Makeup in attempt to hide his ugliness.
Big Mac because he's afraid of being poisoned.

I am legitimately surprised he is still alive.

He must have Mr Burns Disease Syndrome, but with chemicals instead.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

So... that'll get you high? Cuz I doubt he's whipping it up himself

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylephrine

Doctors use it to spike low blood pressure and dialate pupils, I suppose you could trip balls if you ate enough tablets.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

So Covid-19 is a STD?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nick Soapdish posted:

I assumed the good genes having guy was talking about how they closed or at least even more severely restricted the US-Mexico border

The King of Saudi Arabia is still alive. https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2760_story.html

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Double posting, but here's the mandatory write up in the NY Times about how Trump has been loving up everything about the virus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/07/us/politics/trump-coronavirus.html

quote:

But the president still has his bullhorn. During his visit to the C.D.C., Mr. Trump told reporters that he was not inclined to let 21 people who tested positive for the virus on a cruise ship off the coast of California onto American soil.

“They would like to have the people come off,” he said. “I would like to have the people stay.” The president said he would allow health experts to make the final decision, but he made clear again where he stood.

His concern? It would increase the tally for the number of people infected in the United States. “Because I like the numbers being where they are,” the president said.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Is 'source greasing' what I think it is?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Ok wow, the Dow Jones and SP 500 have completely poo poo the bed.

Hello recession my old friend...

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

maffew buildings posted:

"Here's one last piece of advice. Aim higher. Your passion for change seems to be mostly for yourselves—health insurance, child care, student loans, paid family leave. Our passion was often to help others: civil rights, apartheid and famines in places like Bangladesh, Biafra and Ethiopia. Yes, it was naïve to think that a few concerts like Live Aid could save millions, but it was rooted in good intentions. Our generation may have failed in the execution, but we did not fail in ambition."

MotherFUCKER this is more self-feliating then the urban legend about Marlyan Manson.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

stealie72 posted:

Have we considered that this might be Andy Kauffman re-emerging into the world?

Destroying capitalism as a performance art piece?

If anyone would do that, it would be Andy Kauffman, if only as a act of revenge against CBS.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Honestly I'm not gonna worry about Coronavirus, if only because I've been getting "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!1!" screamed at me by Fox and CNN once a month for the last 20 years.

A strong flu is a 2 on the disaster scale, maybe a 3 if coughing blood is a symptom.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

SimonCat posted:

From the Congressional Record:

You can read Joe's entire speech at the link below, it starts on page 215 of the PDF. It's heavy in talking about how much reaching across the aisle and working with Republicans took place to pass a flawed AUMF that President Bush swears he won't use to go to war. It's a little weasily the way he says he didn't believe that Saddam had nuclear weapons as he did believe that Saddam was seeking them.

https://www.congress.gov/crec/2002/10/10/CREC-2002-10-10.pdf

I forget, was the whole 'Saddam wants nukes' story a out-and-out lie, or just a really bad distortion of the truth?

I could have sworn I read some CIA analysis online somewhere that said that Saddam may have wanted nukes, but didn't stand a chance in hell of getting anything even close.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fister Roboto posted:

On the bright side, the attempts to get peopled hyped for Biden over then next 8 months are going to be hilariously awful.

"I'm just mild about Biden!"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fister Roboto posted:

I bet they'll hire some internet memelords to try to turn his dementia ramblings into "haha that's so funny, we all love Uncle Joe :shobon:" type poo poo.

Is it dementia or stuttering? Because honestly, as someone with a stutter, I sympathize with him on that. Get me up in front of a crown and I start doing my Porky Pig impression.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Woofer posted:

Because he needs to drop out and endorse Biden so that he can get a position in his cabinet.

I could see him as Secretary of HUD.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

ASAPI posted:

So, a friend in DC is saying that there will be an announcement this evening with Trump mandating that all non grocery and/or pharmacies close for two weeks.

I'm calling bullshit as it would totally wreck the stock market along with the super panic it will cause.

So whats the over/under on him being right?

Wait EVERYTHING closes? Even generic office parks?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Is this a souvenir or a threat?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Internet Wizard posted:

Sucker Punch is exactly the sort of exploitative fetish bait that it’s pretending to criticize. The only difference is that it turns to the camera and goes “isn’t this exploitation awful” and then goes straight back to it. I’d argue it’s worse than the typical sexist exploitation because it’s aware of how awful that is, but consciously does it anyways.

I’d be instantly skeptical of anybody claiming it’s a good MeToo movie

I'm not sure if it was fetish bait, but it was a pretty bad movie.

The best way I can describe it is, some executive producer had a intern look at the Tumblr and Facebook pages of high school anime club presidents across the US, then complied a list of the recurring images and created a Mad Libs-style script.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Repost from the MN thread:

Looks like everything except retail is getting shut down starting tomorrow.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
My school cancelled my commencement ceremony. :(

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/20/heres-how-your-rescue-check-from-the-government-could-be-taxed.html

I can't decide if the refund advance or the taxation is worse.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
My dad just bought some yeast to bake his own bread for the first time, and he's very seriousaly thinking about building a chicken coop and buying a few hens for fresh eggs.

I can't tell if he's crazy or forward thinking at this point.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Defenestrategy posted:

How does congress handle voting with senators absent? Is there a quorum and things get passed with a majority, is there a bare number of people present required to do "business" or if enough people leave/get sick does congress just shut down?

Mitch McConnell stands up and mumbles 'no' for 20 minutes, then the vote is postponed indefinitely.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Lando reading the last few pages of this thread

He's not mad, just disappointed.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I think Minnesota is next on the shutdown list, I just got sent home on one-hour notice.

Literally, 'pack up your workstation and hook it up at home, here's the VPN login, good luck'. :stare:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Best Friends posted:

Free money for some, mandatory loans for others

https://twitter.com/jstein_wapo/status/1242189799265579010?s=21

And this is the position they are starting negotiations from

Is the 1.5k a one off, or a recurring benefit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

RFC2324 posted:

but war is good for the economy! :smithicide:

Shooty wars not coughing wars.