Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/1234629754726371329

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Buttcoin purse posted:

But it would take me longer to work out how to use an existing calendar library that can do all the things I need right now and in the future and is fully tested than for me to write something which does the one thing I need right now and will be tested by my customers later.

also i work in finance so nbd if anything goes wrong

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Nashville has come a long way since I moved there 20 years ago. The medical industry has pretty well turned it into a hub and it's basically little California in some parts of the city.

It's a great place for tourist poo poo, I wouldn't suggest living there, but it's definitely a better city than Memphis.

Nashville, a better city than the crown jewel of the nile?! next you'll be telling me that Houston is better than Paris!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

gently caress Biden and gently caress all Democrats who voted in the primary for that gently caress. If he wanted it he should've ran in 2016, but he didn't, so he should shut the gently caress up and go home.

this is the third time he's run for president

never wait until retirement age to pursue your dreams

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What are superdelegates

democratic party members who are given the special rights to cast votes at the convention however they want, as compared to regular delegates who represent the state they come from and vote according to the primary results in that state

e: correction

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

uhhhhhh yes??

???

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

*extremely Spartacus voice*

Mr Crustacean posted:

I am a dumbass.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

in his own words, if you can follow them:

https://twitter.com/17kardiackids/status/1237202015186489344

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Woofer posted:

Because he needs to drop out and endorse Biden so that he can get a position in his cabinet.

he will get nothing, not least because everyone knows he will campaign for Biden anyway. he has no leverage.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

post your numbers

i appreciate the display clearly indicating which end to put it in

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

yeah, i was going to say, if he did have it he would absolutely say he didn't

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

consider the source and all, but i enjoy c-spam the most

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Caro

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

Sucker Punch is exactly the sort of exploitative fetish bait that it’s pretending to criticize. The only difference is that it turns to the camera and goes “isn’t this exploitation awful” and then goes straight back to it. I’d argue it’s worse than the typical sexist exploitation because it’s aware of how awful that is, but consciously does it anyways.

I’d be instantly skeptical of anybody claiming it’s a good MeToo movie

thank you for posting this so i didn't have to.

did you know it ends with a dedication to snyder's mother, who died as it was being made? i know, because i watched the whole thing in theaters. as a fellow half-orphan, suckepunch is bad even compared 300 and Watchmen.

Chichevache posted:

It's absolutely a female empowering movie, just like Kill Bill.

What makes it exploitative?

lurid sexual and physical threats to attractive young women. a premise that places their bodies fully in the control of men and offers them no empowerment except through seduction, seen through the effects-reel set pieces. Internet Wizard already says it: you don't get a pass just because you wink at the camera and say "but it's different when I do it!"

jon hamm's soliloquy at the end was vile, but in a sense perfect. "oh, wow! wow! seeing this mutilated woman has helped me finally feel empathy for her! this has really made me reconsider my earlier criticisms of snyder's ouevre! genius is never appreciated in its own time!"

...anyway, current event, i spent my weekend driving around state parks. i recommend it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the only part of that story that surprises me is the germans confirming it

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Waroduce posted:

Jim Cramer legit advocating for CLOSING THE MARKET on CNBC right now lmao. This is cool

welcome to the right side of history, comrade cramer

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

pmchem posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912152&perpage=40&pagenumber=1306#post503359484

horrifying study out of the U.K. on COVID measures needed that explains some recent USGOV actions

ahhh

quote:

A minimum policy for effective suppression is therefore population-wide social distancing combined with home isolation of cases and school and university closure. To avoid a rebound in transmission, these policies will need to be maintained until large stocks of vaccine are available to immunise the population – which could be 18 months or more

who was that guy who told wolf blitzer we would be dealing with it for the next five years?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Old Boot posted:

Probably because it was the most blatantly obvious and the most easily proven?

every seventh tweet he makes is a new emoluments violation

he's repeatedly bragged about molesting pageant contestant, and making deals with organized crime families to get things built

explain to me, a moron, what made whatever The Ukraine Thing was supposed to be damningly obvious

e: the way to do this was written 30 years ago, just investigate the poo poo out of everything that could possibly be even slightly illegal, subpoena him on every detail, jump on every possibility of perjury, and bring a vote over and over. make the news be full of times "the son of a bitch denied it," fill everyone's heads with horrible stories of things he may have done or meant. it should be easier with Trump than it was with Obama or Clinton! and your supporters will not punish you for trying to impeach someone they hate ten times a year, even if they all fail, cf repealing obamacare.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 17, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Chichevache posted:

The pageant molestations didn't happen while he was in office, so I dont believe he can be impeached for those.

and whitewater went down well six years before clinton ran for president

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Chichevache posted:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but I dont think Clinton was ever impeached for that. So why even bring it up in a conversation about impeachment?

i edited the reason in:

Doc Hawkins posted:

e: the way to do this was written 30 years ago, just investigate the poo poo out of everything that could possibly be even slightly illegal, subpoena him on every detail, jump on every possibility of perjury, and bring a vote over and over. make the news be full of times "the son of a bitch denied it," fill everyone's heads with horrible stories of things he may have done or meant. it should be easier with Trump than it was with Obama or Clinton! and your supporters will not punish you for trying to impeach someone they hate ten times a year, even if they all fail, cf repealing obamacare.

also, the house's ability to initiate impeachment is unreviewable, full stop. they can decide that someone who escaped conviction or even prosecution on criminal charges has betrayed the public trust and will be subject to trial in the senate. or even someone who broke no law! impeachment is intended as a fully general remedy for abuse of power and dereliction of duty.

now it's your turn: why challenge sexual assault as an impeachable offense?

e: more specific wording

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 17, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Ceiling fan posted:

Yes, he committed impeachable offences the very second he was sworn in. I'm seriously in agreement with you on this.

i believe you

quote:

Because it reads like a loving Tom Clancy novel. POTUS conspiring with a former NYC mayor/US attorney turned mafioso enforcer and his cronies trying to wreck a US election through pressuring a comedian who rose above shallow entertainment to become the savior of a people cruelly oppressed by the resurgent Russian oppressors, oh my loving god, I can't even go on.

too complicated, too much to prove, too hard to report on. if you don't have a senate majority, the point is to drag his name through the mud, and this isn't muddy enough.

it could work great as one of four investigations you bring simultaneously, but the others better involve sex, drugs, death, or a good combination of them.

quote:

Cool. Someone could have written a check half the size of the the one Rupert Murdoch wrote for Roger Ailes and handed it to someone half as competent, and everything would have been fine. Too bad someone wasn't around.

Sorry I'm being dickish about this, I wish we could go back and fix this poo poo too. It takes reaching a lot more people and helping them understand. I don't think I know how to do that, even if I had a chance to go back 30 years to work on it. It loving sucks.

i am with you on wishing we had done more in the past 30 years, that's for sure. but the subject is what congresspeople had the power to do in the past three, and why (some of us imagine) they didn't.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

well, you know how this thread gets when nothing much is going on

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Vasudus posted:

If you have a fever and a dry cough you're in trouble. If you have a fever and a cough and you're making GBS threads yourself, you have the flu.

so all i have to do is poo poo myself for protection? phew, on it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Watching Biden lose worse than Hillary despite a global pandemic is gonna be hilarious

he honestly has a chance. between now and november (or whenever the election happens), poo poo is going to hit people hard. no one has won re-election yet in a recession, and this is going to be a real motherfucker of one.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Best Friends posted:

It's still a lot more than I see any non-bernie Dem leader offering. The Booker bill looks good but I don't see pelosi, Schumer or Biden standing behind it.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 18, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Bombing foreigners is never off the table.

I got a job at Accenture in the last recession, working a DoD contract. This was right after Obama was inaugurated, so perhaps because of that, part of the orientation process was telling us to not worry about our jobs: "Defense spending goes up no matter who gets elected."

I probably should have quit right then, but at least they paid me my salary for the full twelve months I was waiting for my clearance.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

This thread is the closest thing to D&D I've been able to tolerate for at least a year.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

an old friend of mine died last night, i just found out. either apnea or a bad interaction with prescriptions and alcohol. he was 37, and one of the best of us.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i don't think i could fit a full bag of rice in my freezer, but i will definitely try it if i ever get one again

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i've been saying for months biden should drop out and stay home with his family so it would be hugely hypocritical of me to razz him for finally doing it

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

my roommate's dog, remus

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

Jesus loving Christ. gently caress them.

It's a loving stimulus, IT SHOULDN'T NEED TO BE REPAID YOU FUCKS.

tbh this is a step in the right direction, at least they are giving money directly to non-corporate citizens, and are using cash rather than tax credits

but, of course, i do not have to hand it to them

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

EBB posted:

Trump is just mad he can't literally invade California.

quoting this so i can find it next month

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

:wow:

https://twitter.com/GOP/status/1242551578038611971

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

shut down construction and some people who have a lot of money will lose part of it so would it really be worth it just to save a few lives?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

bird cooch posted:

I'm sorry, but with the state of everything right now, anything flying at any political anything deserves a skeptical eye.

If this is a thing that happened, every bloodthirsty reporter in the world is going to shake the branches. This is Ronan Farrow's bread and butter. If there's something there, it will come out.

Fox will run anything.

I've seen this circling on some wierd parts of Twitter for a while now. The first place is saw it was an anarchist collective Twitter account. So yeah, I'm gonna wait till someone gives it a little bit of a look.

It's a lovely thought but there have been thousands of fake scandals and things that never appeared over the last 4 years.

maybe ask yourself why people would not be surprised that joe biden has committed sexual assault, and why you find it difficult to #believe this particular woman

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

LongDarkNight posted:

If Boris dies does Corbyn get to be PM? How does that work in the Jolly 'Ole.

no, think of the prime minister as like the senate majority leader; the same party will have the majority so it chooses a replacement

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/redpomgranat/status/1243329443784867840

You think it's bad and every day something worse pops up

hey, he's not just any jackass

https://twitter.com/redpomgranat/status/1243332449402150912

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the debate of whether a democratic administration would or would not have materially different court appointments is useless academic vitriol, because there won't be one for quite a few more years. last week i accepted that sanders wouldn't win the election either. anything can happen, but most of the things i think could happen, i don't think would be good news.

i've been using my spare time to do wellness check calls; the shahid buttar campaign is calling every volunteer they've ever had, both to see if we need anything that we can give each other, and to prepare to direct us to give mutual aid more broadly. i strongly recommend anyone with influence on any political group, church, or whatever, whose normal activities are on hold, to get them to do something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

You ever just think about the events preceding the beginning of V for Vendetta lately

i think about becoming a streetwalker out of financial desperation pretty much every tax season, if anything it's happening later this year