Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The next appointee re-signs all the current policies and we go around again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If I had to guess, he promised her voter outreach thing a shitload of money. Which amusingly if it were true, is one of the few things he's done with his money that actually help the party.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
100% he was made an offer he couldn't refuse, like VP on everybody that isn't Bernie's ticket should they win.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Sometimes people don't want to entertain progressive policies because it would be admitting that their own policies aren't as good as they thought, which makes them a bad person. Sometimes they really just want to hire more women guards at the child prisons and put up a rainbow flag during pride week and call it a day.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
People still also think that the Democrats and the Republicans don't answer to the same masters and it's not really as much of a choice as they think it is.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Plus if she actually cared about her supporters she would provide words of encouragement and endorse the next best thing to the values she claims to have.

But no, it's just 'I lost sorry lol'

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's nothing that can be done to contain it. Most people can't afford to get tested, assuming that they even had theoretical access to working test kits. Most people won't get time off to quarantine that doesn't come out of their regular sick time. An even larger pool of people don't even *have* sick time. The government is powerless to pay for any of these things, and also can't order a lockdown like the Chinese government.

But why contain it? It's cool.

edit: I have benefits that are most likely within the top 5% if not 1% of the greater American workforce. Right now getting tested for coronavirus would cost me ~3,000 bucks and the 14-day quarantine would take 5 months worth of saved PTO. There's no loving way people are going to get tested.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 7, 2020

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A generation of Americans born after the largest hardship events in modern history, granted unrivaled prosperity, that have greedily consumed so much of that prosperity they've locked the next two generations out of it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Young people (meaning anybody under roughly 55) have nothing to worry about from the virus assuming they don't have a compromised immune system. The danger of the virus itself is largely irrelevant to why it's actually a colossal concern that's absolutely destroying the world economy right now. It spreads easily enough, and people go a long time before showing symptoms. Which means it will eventually find people that *do* need to get hospitalization or they die. If too many of these people get sick, the healthcare system gets overloaded and then a lot more people die. Nobody gives a poo poo if young people get flu-like symptoms for a week.

Because it's so dangerous to older people (who make up a large percentage of the workforce in certain countries and sectors) there's legitimate public health concern. But people don't work like that, and people that are largely safe will panic regardless. This is the dangerous part of a pandemic.

I keep seeing people dismiss COVID-19 as something meaningless, and the best metaphor I have is a house fire. The fire isn't what will kill you, it's the smoke.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Old Boot posted:

I still think - hope - VP is going to matter a lot for turnout.

The likely candidates for Biden's VP is either Kamala Harris or Amy Klobuchar.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Klobuchar had a gaff that she quickly corrected on camera saying she joined the ticket a few days ago. It's unknown if it's true yet, obviously.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Bernie isn't going to hand over his doner network, that his campaign built from scratch, because they were shut out by the party previously. If I got a solicitation for a donation from Joe-loving-Biden because of donations to Bernie I would be loving pissed.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Tax credits also is how they're trying to get around the concept of "but then everyone would get it" because American politicians are addicted to means testing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you have a fever and a dry cough you're in trouble. If you have a fever and a cough and you're making GBS threads yourself, you have the flu.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's hard to feel the pressure of being socially isolated when you already are every day :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
When I was making 75k a year my take home was around 4200 a month between taxes, 401k, and my extremely good and comparatively cheap health insurance. I had ~600 dollars in student loans and my rent + phone + utilities was around 2500.