Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

maffew buildings posted:

"Here's one last piece of advice. Aim higher. Your passion for change seems to be mostly for yourselves—health insurance, child care, student loans, paid family leave. Our passion was often to help others: civil rights, apartheid and famines in places like Bangladesh, Biafra and Ethiopia. Yes, it was naïve to think that a few concerts like Live Aid could save millions, but it was rooted in good intentions. Our generation may have failed in the execution, but we did not fail in ambition."

Jesus loving Christ what the gently caress. Is it just this rear end in a top hat or do a lot of them think we want those things only for ourselves and not because it will help a lot of people? Me generation indeed, gently caress man

No. My uncle thinks this exact thing. He also thinks that everything is too complex and change is too hard and it will never happen and it's pointless to try &c &c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Defenestrategy posted:

Is flour the same? Because I went to the store and flour was gone(but not corn mix?)

TP should be restocked once the (bi?)weekly delivery hits. It's made locally enough at the moment although as long haul trucking forms part of our supply chain I'm a little worried if travel restrictions come in.

I just talked to a friend I went to high school with who is marrying into a family business dealing in grain and assorted dry staples. They started due to celiac disease in the family so they are several steps ahead of others in their sourcing, cleaning storage, supply chain, and tracking.

Since this hit they have gotten large orders from Costco as several parts of the supply chain have frozen and the competition isnt able to move staples (rice) from Asia or guarantee the integrity of their supply chain. There is also panic buying affecting the segment; there is no real permanent shortage at the moment, just a large spike in demand and a hiccup in supply. Normally I would expect this to correct within 1-2 weeks once the supply chain straightens out. If this continues for a length of time and starts affecting ag workers I would definitely start to worry.

Current worries are the supply chain, specifically long haul trucking and travel restrictions, if production continues and inventory levels are adequate (ag workers staying home would be bad), and wondering why the US response should differ from China/SK/Italy.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

bloops posted:

I'm genuinely curious to see how empty my flights are next week. I did reach out to my Airbnb host in Moab. He said it's a deserted (heh) there at the moment, so It'll be actually kind of loving nice to have Canyonlands/Arches all to myself.

I'm surprised you think flights will still be an option next week. Why are you assuming the US reaction is going to be different than Italy/France/Spain or that our results are going to be any better? Italy let the impending quarantine of the north leak, allowing people to leave before implementation and exacerbating the spread. That could easily happen in the US.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Based on what I’m seeing I’m assuming our response will be worse than Italy. Therefore I fully expect people will be free to fly next week.

I am assuming state/local governments again take the lead with patchwork isolation and people escaping them and driving the spread as in Italy until the federal government steps in.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

It's amazing to see how people are somehow both panicking and not taking the situation seriously.

It's hard to properly estimate the risk and how to prepare for it. Most of us havent experienced a true pandemic so we have no collective memory either. People are mostly preparing for the worst and waiting for leadership to say it's actually arrived but habits are slowly changing even so.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

bloops posted:

Well. Airports have to be next.

Isnt that interstate commerce requiring the fed to step in? We are still adhering to the Italian reaction it looks like so I'm looking for localities to shut down with carriers fleeing.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

bird cooch posted:

Some of y'all need to go outside. I mean not into public or anything like that but just get some fresh air.

We are prepping to furlough if need be which is making people really mad (often at me), but I'm get to furlough myself so that's tight.
My wife is the benefits director for a large national optometry group and they are blowing up her phone. If and when they furlough, like most companies, health insurance will expire after 30 days.

this is going to be a loving mess if it doesn't calm down and I don't see it calming down for awhile.

My worry is that a patchwork of localities are shutting things down on a short term, 2 week basis when it should probably be closer to 30 days. 30 days for a small business and its employees, without cashflow, is probably a death sentence. My aunt and her husband own some wine shops and they dont have a lot of cash, it's all in inventory. I understand the reluctance as it's going to crush a lot of people but we have examples from Asia and Europe on ways to deal with this.

Noone has mentioned the necessary government support for SMEs required to help them through this. Anyone not looking at this is deluding themselves over how bad it will be.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

stackofflapjacks posted:

Now my question as a resident of San Francisco is, do I flee back home to Alaska before the border closes so I can ride this out in a normal caring community that will not eat it's own? Or do I shelter in place in San Francisco with 7 million other idiots where the chances of falling through the cracks and dying are rising by the day.

Just look to Italy. Nothing new under the sun, some as old as spring, &c &c

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Vasudus posted:

If you have a fever and a dry cough you're in trouble. If you have a fever and a cough and you're making GBS threads yourself, you have the flu.

Lookin forward to the poops

Girlfriend says they are moving to.shifts at her hospital trying for 14 day isolation periods as much as possible. Maersk just shut down crew changes till 4/14.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I am currently allowed to buy weed. I am currently not allowed to go out and get a haircut.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
https://gcaptain.com/port-of-houston-container-terminals-suspend-operations-after-worker-tests-positive-for-covid-19/

Port of Houston closed the container terminal.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

not caring here posted:

I'm seeing 34 new cases in China today, 8 new deaths, so they are probably just reporting slow.

34 is stupid low though.

They have been dealing with this since December and went into quarantine of varying levels throughout the country two months ago. It's very possible and I would expect to see a tapering off anyways. That being said, their numbers are usually reported with a political bent. I'm more curious about how they handle coming out of it and if theres a spike of infections so we know what to expect.

Edit: The number was going to go down eventually. The important thing is if you believe the downward trend or not. I would expect the CCP to be able to control their citizens effectively. Once they acknowledged the problem they started aggressive testing and tracking for it to isolate it. Western countries may struggle to maintain a 2 month quarantine, if they ever get one enacted that is.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 19, 2020

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

The RWM reeaaaallly pushing hydrochloroquine

Thats because anyone looking at experiences across the globe should realize the US is living in dreamland. Most countries have moved to quarantines backed by extensive testing and isolation for in excess of a month.

Local governments are only able to mandate shelter in place with little testing and isolation and saying these measures will only be up for 2-3 weeks. When I walked my dogs today I saw kids playing together, dinner parties, wine bars that should have been closed but remained open on a technicality, and my dad wants to visit each of his units with an appraiser to refinance. Everyone accepts the necessity to pay lip service to social distancing but noone is properly reacting to the risk of spread. It's an abstract idea and I'm starting to worry this is just the honeymoon period and I actually need to stockpile.

Hydrochloroquine is a simple, feel good idea to clutch at compared to the alternative.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, as I just confirmed with my local DnD RECHTSANWALT in the Germany thread, that was my suspicion.

To be fair, it's a "smart move" from a marketing position that also fits into the federalism argument, so pretty much another case of "don't hate the player, hate the game".
Her announcement underlines the measures that need to be legally enforced, while deferring the actual Rechtsgrundlage of verhänging those measures to the Länder.

To be fair, I'm not even sure she has the legal authority to verhäng those measures bundesweit without legit breaking the glass and pushing "DAS BUTTON", so this is probably - and quite honestly - the smartest course of action to announce overarching restrictions that will come into effect, without carrying the panic-element you'd expect when the leader of a country goes on TV to announce that poo poo is getting shut the gently caress down.

Well loving played, Mutti.

(Now go drink those two wine-bottles you bought for imaging-purposes while on Quarantäne :colbert:)

She is playing the 2 weeks card like everyone else and avoiding the truth. Short term wise, long term who knows how populations takes it when its week 5 and "just two more weeks of isolation" continues to play. Also the struggle between federal/local control and a coherent narrative for an invisibile, unknowable threat.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here. There's no "truth being avoided" here. The largest state in Germany has already officially enforced a curfew, so this isn't some House-of-Cards type of finagling to say the right thing while not actually doing anything.
It's essentially carte blanche for the Länder to follow-suit with the more strenuous measures without causing the panic-effect a country-wide curfew would cause to spike, without overruling the federalism aspect.

There's, of course, the political shenanigans-aspect to it that she's not giving an official attaboy to the first minister president of her party to enforce a curfew in his state, while simultaneously quietly giving the go-ahead for states not run by her party to implement the same measures.

The line for shelter in place in the US is "2/3 weeks" depending on location. The reality is probably 2+ months and even that is not guaranteed. People want certainty and that's impossible to give at this point.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Bored As gently caress posted:

City should seize it and just use it.

Eminent domain still requires the government to pay for something, the hospital is in poo poo condition so if they seized it, Philly would have to pay for the hospital and repairs, and then be stuck with a hospital they dont want to run and manage when the crises is over. Oversimplification without considering the consequences.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

and what do you have to say about the fact that your country is literally under siege right now, and only one of the candidates even has a hope of doing anything about it?

christ i'm basically using george bush era talking points except that 1500 americans have already died and well over 100k more already have the loving disease

Democrats are at war with themselves because the party is so broad. Republicans are strong because they have a base that's pretty focused in its direction. If progressives actually want to push their policies they need to improve messaging and bring people in instead of forcing conformity or pushing them out.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

Fair enough. Though I figured the order would have come down like a week ago and they'd be well underway by now.

It did, the Mercy is already in LA, Comfort was in a yard period.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Yard period means it takes a while for the ship to be ready to go, and a steamship take days to get going once it's ready to go.

Days. There's a reason nobody outside the US uses steam anymore.

It's not that bad. Depending on the ship, figure 24-72 hours. It's more the putting everything back together again for an unexpected activation from the yard.

Reacticating an AKR fresh off activation took us about 100 hours from the order. Have to crew it up, get stores, bunkers, sludge, put all the machinery back together, etc. The medical staff also has to get activated and put on board or whatever the Navy does. One of my classmates married a Navy doctor and just posted pictures of her getting recalled yesterday.

Edit: As to why, I'm not 100% those ships are the best fit for the mission but Trump was moving slow anyways. I only have friends that work on them and know nothing about their utilization. They activated them pretty quickly after CA went into SIP though. The East Coast is getting hit pretty hard at the moment but I dont think they are turning people away yet?

lightpole fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 28, 2020

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's a yard period and what are people using besides steam? I figured for non nuclear engines you'd just fuel using oil or something

Propulsion modes are steam, gas turbine, and diesel engines (slow/medium speed). Fuel type is a different thing, theres different types of oil (heavy, #2 diesel, gasoline), natural gas, and coal.

Ships go the shipyard for all the stuff that cant be done at sea. Generally large machinery overhauls/upgrades (the turbine was probably apart and being inspected), painting, steel replacement (cut out and replace rusted decks), electronics, whatever they can fit in.

Edit: Also, MARAD ships cant move until everything goes through the channels. We knew we would have to activate but had to wait 24 hours for things to go through. Once big dick DoD money comes through we have all the resources in the world but until the very minute that happens, nothing moves cause theres no resources.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 28, 2020

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
So far the one good thing to come from this is its forced me to source meats/vegetables/grains/wine/cider from cheap, local, high quality distributors that deliver. Need to make my fruits/vegetable order by Monday, then have lamb, bison, venison and chicken coming Tuesday. And sorpressata!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Bored As gently caress posted:

Where you getting the gabagool?

Coppa from Golden Gate Meats.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

On a civilian ship we would put bodies in one of the 40ish F boxes I think. Freezing a body fucks it up.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

ded posted:

My county has been in lockdown since mar 16th and was supposed to last until 'at least' april 7th. Now it's going to continue till at least may 3rd.

At least the bay area is keeping it in check so far. I wouldn't mind even more stringent measures as a lot of people are pretty lackadaisical at the moment but its helping.

Plus my drive from the East Bay to Mission Bay is only 45 min now, it's really weird doing 80 on the Bay Bridge.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

i live next to mission bay

how are things in there

I'm chilling on a grey hull there for a bit. My girlfriend says they have spaced out shifts and gone down to minimum personnel with no unnecessary surgeries. She works from home for about 14 days and then is on for a week I think. I havent seen her since the 17th. It's still pretty quiet though thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
No mods?