Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I went to Costco on Friday. Still plenty of TP and bottled water left, but it was crowded and you could tell there’s a bit of panic buying going on. I’ll bet it’s only gotten more intense since then- all of my local CVS are out of hand sanitizer. Fortunately neither my wife nor I are on any critical prescription meds, but we do have plenty of extra of our dog’s prescription and plenty of food for him.

If you’re still stocking up, I’d recommend getting shelf-stable and comfort foods in addition to calorically dense foods over going full prepper and getting MREs and tons of water. I don’t think it’s likely that municipal utilities are going down because of this thing, and if they do, we’re probably at the point where most of us will be begging to be half-life war boys in our neighborhood Immortan’s army.

Yeah that's my take on it as well as a former FEMA guy.

TBQH, the only thing we're stocking up on (and we normally do it every few months anyways) is pet food because some of it is special order.

Food wise, if I can't buy a can of campbell's soup in a month, I've got bigger things to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Unpopular opinion but candidates dropping out to consolidate support for another candidate in the same lane isn't rat loving, that's just politics. lovely as it is.

Also I'm still hopeful Bernie can keep momentum going but if you were relying on a crowded field to win the nomination and it doesn't pan out that way, that poo poo is on you.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Early in Pete's campaign he said this exact thing and I was excited. Then everything else about him came out and just happy he's gone now

:same:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Also,
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1234565528989163521

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Chichevache posted:

I didnt realize we had Trump voters in here

This poo poo sucks for sure but gently caress it, down ballots are a thing and I will gladly bust my rear end there. And Bloomberg eating poo poo is a solid plus.

Basically, anyone but Bloomberg or Tulsi getting the nom and I'll pull the lever for them. I'm not giving Trump another four years without a loving fight and neither should any of you.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Biden winning MN by the margins that are being talked about makes zero sense to me, to the point that I'm almost willing to indulge in conspiracy theories. What, did a bunch of centrist/conservative Dems just vote against Clinton in 2016?

Yes?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

AP projects Bernie wins California.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Also not skipping Wisconsin or Michigan as campaign stops would be a plus.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Eej posted:

is there even a non zero chance Biden beats Trump

Yes.

I know people are upset and disappointed with how yesterday went but if Bernie doesn't somehow turn it around in the next few races, Biden as the nominee isn't the death stroke or the guarantee that Trump gets another term that people are saying he is.

https://cnu.edu/wasoncenter/2019/07/01-2020-election-forecast/

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

GoGoGadget posted:

Maybe Biden will choose Sanders as VP. Hahahaha, yeah right, we all know it'll be Buttigieg.

Nah, he'll pick a woman or a POC. He kinda has to.

Butt will likely get offered a cabinet position at most if Biden is the nominee and victor in Nov, but not VP.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Alright look feel free to quote this when we're all enslaved in the Facebook Posting Mines in 2027 but there's no goddamn way Tom "Dumbest Motherfucker in the Senate" Cotton is winning a national nomination, let alone the Presidency.

In fact, :toxx: Cotton will never be a GOP presidential nominee.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

My company told the Seattle office to telework for the foreseeable future. I'm presuming we're next considering Maryland just confirmed some cases.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Not sure where you are but if its DC or Nova all 3 cases are in Montgomery County so probably

lol, yeah that's us.

WHOOOOOOOO

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

"Hey I'm voting for Sanders and I don't support Biden, but maybe some of his supporters could loving cool it with being shitheads to people who might otherwise agree with them? It's making it harder than it needs to be to get people to support him."

this thread:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

bird cooch posted:

I was a Warren supporter and I don't feel bad about the way that turned out and I'm not stoked on Biden but so much of the poo poo that's posted in here is just either bullshit or much Ado about nothing.

Pretty much where I'm at right now. If Sanders still has a shot by the time my primary rolls around, I'm gonna vote for him, but watching people trip over themselves to post/share misleading and out of context poo poo about Biden is stupid as gently caress.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

M_Gargantua posted:

“You’re full of poo poo” was actually the perfect response there

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Woofer posted:

My work just sent out a massive "you still have to go to work or use PTO, assholes" email.

I asked if we could expense ubers so as to limit possible exposure on the second largest mass transit system in the country.

They're gonna say no, but at least I tried.

That's lovely.

Our company told our Seattle office to WFH starting last week and they started sending out feeler emails this week to the rest of us to see if we could start working from home without any problems. We figure since the DC area started getting a bunch of cases, we'll be told to WFH starting next week.

Which is incredibly ironic because idk if anyone remembers me bitching about it last year, but they got rid of all of our full time home based employees (with exceptions for people with disability waviers) and told the rest of us we were only allowed to WFH one day a week as of May of last year.

They ended up having to backtrack a little bit to keep people by giving us flex time and only needing to be in office for core hours as well as allowing us to work more than one day at home if "life happens". Still, people are pretty pissed off about them bringing it up again like it's a new untested idea.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Old Boot posted:

You vote for the sake of people who are not white and not men, hth

Even ironyposting 'man I'll just stay home' is wrecking my blood pressure, esp. with SCOTUS looking the way it is.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm pretty bummed that more liberal policies haven't won more support but kind of relieved that Sanders's inability to follow through on turning out new/young voters has been exposed now instead of in the fall.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Out of pessimism, I feel like this is the forgone conclusion. I don't know what to do at this point besides try not to give into the paranoia of buying guns and plates because clearly it's an unhealthy thought.

Honest answer, down-ticket races still need plenty of support. And votes. Doesn't matter who the Dem nominee for president is, poo poo ain't getting done without the house and the senate. Dems are likely gonna hold the house and have a very realistic shot at taking the Senate as well.

I don't think anyone here had Biden as a first, or second or even third choice, but if you sit out in November because Bernie or whoever your candidate choice was isn't the Dem nominee...talk about cutting your nose to spite your face.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Vasudus posted:

The likely candidates for Biden's VP is either Kamala Harris or Amy Klobuchar.

It's gonna be either Harris or Abrams. Maybe Duckworth or Baldwin. There's no way he picks Klob.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

The best way I've seen it explained is that Biden served under a Black President for eight years without trying to usurp him or make him look bad. And that speaks volumes to black voters.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Internet Wizard posted:

The “petulant hissy fit” of... hating an incoherent centrist who won’t commit to improving anything

I just don’t understand why nobody under 40 is voting guys

I mean Biden wasn't my first, second or even third choice but the "He's not going to improve anything!" line of attack when he's running against Trump is just so stone loving stupid at this point. ANY of the Dem candidates would me a marked improvement over Trump. I mean, compare Biden's platform to Obama's in '08 or even Clinton's and it's remarkably more progressive than either of those platforms. If I'm thankful for anything, it's Sanders dragging the party leftwards even if people keep saying he didn't. He sure as gently caress did. It's still got a ways to go but I think with people like AOC in the wings, it'll continue in that direction.

And yeah, if you're a white dude under 40 who's loudly proclaiming you're gonna sit out in November because the electorate didn't turn out for your guy, you are indeed throwing a hissy fit and you're a certified piece of poo poo to boot if you follow through with that.

Also, great news
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1237756107474571267

EDIT: Terrible snipe, have a picture of Olive to make up for the rapists picture.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 11, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Old Boot posted:

In fairness, some of this is accessibility. If you can't take time off work, you can't, and that's the end of it. Same, re: not being able to find a ride to your way-the-gently caress-far-away polling places, which was/is a huge obstacle atm.

I completely agree with this take but it's not as if any of the states yesterday didn't have early or mail in voting as options. Can't completely pin the lower youth turnout on being unable to vote on a Tuesday.

bird cooch posted:

Olive looks like a sweat pea

She most certainly is :3:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

My company sent out a survey on Monday asking if people could WFH and how feasible it would be. Super ironic considering a year ago, a majority of us WFH 2-3 days a week and we had multiple FTE working from home without issue before some VP got the galaxy brain idea to end working from home except for one day a week. I'm not bitter about any of this, why do you ask?

I figured we'd be told by the end of the week to just WFH till April, but now it sounds like HR is dragging their feet on it. They're now saying people can come to them on a case by case basis and ask to WFH if they are immunocomrpomised or have anxiety. :jerkbag:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Fister Roboto posted:

You might have a point if Biden was winning in a landslide, but he's not. Bernie probably won't win but he still has a strong position, and he'd be a fool to surrender that.

Define landslide, cause he lost Michigan to Biden by double digits. By all accounts, that's a loving landslide.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

If it makes you feel any better, my wife and I are postponing our honeymoon by at least six months.

Fuckin’ coronavirus.

My wife and I booked a trip to Canada at the end of June last week.

gently caress.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

https://twitter.com/SamWangPhD/status/1237918618580586497

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nephzinho posted:

What is this supposed to actually *do*?

Make him look like he's taking decisive action.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Savannah Guthrie not having any of Mike Pence's bullshit.

https://twitter.com/AynRandPaulRyan/status/1238075371909558273

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Crazy Mike posted:

Wait until Biden is the nominee, then either Pence senses he has to abandon this sinking ship or Trump convinces him to leave, so that Trump can make Nikki Haley his VP for the 2020 election, taking the steam out of Biden about to choose a woman VP.

This isn't going to happen and even if it does, no one is going to give a poo poo unless they already buy into Trump's brand.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

EDIT: Removed till I can get verification.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

If it's real, I respect the hell out of that stance.

Trump's gonna speak at 3, hold onto your butts.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Icon Of Sin posted:

That’s...sobering.

:stonklol:

Pretty accurate too. Ended up telling my corporate overlords that it's about damage mitigation at this point and that they needed to stop dragging their feet and make a definitive call to let people work from home. Used my (limited) FEMA experience to tell them that "Yeah, you're being asked to make a decision that is seen as inconvenient or possibly much ado over nothing. But it's either that now, or full blown panic and rushed solutions later. You need to make a definitive call one way or the other."

My boss put it more bluntly "Lives are at stake, quit loving around."

Last night they were still going with "Well if you're worried about your health or a loved ones, WFH if you absolutely must..."

Today they switched track to "Hey as long as your manager doesn't mind, feel free to WFH starting immediately" but it's still coming only from a VP and not the CEO or HR.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I was planning on going to the Society for Military History annual conference in DC next month.

Was.

Et tu, Vincent Van Goatse?

work was gonna let me go since it's local and they like having us at these things to rep but they turned around and said no travel or conferences till May

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

If you're fortunate enough to live near a Wegmans, they are closing early every night at ten to clean and restock. They are also capping certain items so people can't horde them. Which I appreciated because it allowed us to actually buy paper towels and some canned goods.

https://www.wegmans.com/covid-19-response/

My wife and I went last night, got most of what we needed, and then went back this morning at another location to get the remainder of what we couldn't get the night before. Only thing that we couldn't get are tortillas (which makes me sad cause my wife makes loving fantastic burritos). Also people were being surprisingly decent.

We went into a Costco right when they opened while our car was getting serviced and that poo poo was beyond stupid. Only good thing we saw is that they finally had staff physically limiting the number people on TP and paper towels which was nice.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

We bought a bidet last year and that poo poo is clutchhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Untagged posted:

The local normally packed Panda Express was a ghost town the other night. While the two adjacent establishments had a decent dinner crowd. That's cool, just means that sweet orange chicken is mine without any wait. Some people really are avoiding "chinese" food.

Oh god, we had a dude at work last week loudly proclaiming he wouldn't be eating any Chinese food because they get their supplies from China and that's one way to get the virus.

I'm thankful some other dude spoke up rather loudly and told him "That's not how viruses transmit, dumbass"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

This guy nails it.

https://twitter.com/JIMrichards1010/status/1239140710558969857

I've been yelling it at my employer over the past week and it seems they've finally listened to everyone telling them to stop dragging rear end. They sent out an email a few hours ago finally telling everyone to stay the gently caress home till April.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

That Works posted:

Wife and I are watching Contagion again now to see how it held up. You can rent it on amazon afaik.

I gotta say the CDC scenes especially are fantastically well done for a movie and are very much exactly how we work in these kind of research labs. They don't try to make it look like cool hollywood science poo poo etc.

The virus in the movie is a bit faster, a bit more lethal, but also not like way way more than covid19. It's a good watch for the science layman imo.

Also good cast / production value.

Yeah I saw it shortly after I wrapped up interning/working with FEMA (during the H1N1 outbreak).

It was surprisingly good at portraying dealing with state government officials that are too pig headed to see reason.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

That Works posted:

I take part of that back, the virus in Contagion started moving faster, was a good bit more lethal than covid19.

Oh yeah the virus in that movie is like the T-1000 of viruses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

BurningChrome posted:

They proved it over these 4 years alone via their inaction.

If you really think this, you either haven't been paying attention or you're being willfully ignorant at this point.

I mean, by all means, continue to blame the Dems for not doing anything. Pay no attention to McConnell letting the numerous bills the Dem controlled house have passed languish on his desk.

I'm not saying the Dems aren't open to criticism, or there aren't areas that they could be doing more in, but I'm so loving tired of the "Dems are worthless because they didn't do the performative actions I WANT to see" shtick.